“Yea - Las Palmas!”

Las Palmas by the Sea
Ranked #32 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
regina, sk canada
Reviewed 22 March 2006

We stayed at this resort March 4-11th - we were there with our almost adult children- their first time to PV and our second. They had an oceanview room on 4th floor-overlooking the busy pool and our room had a semi-ocean view. I booked this resort knowing its a 3+ and that's what it is. I've seen better-seen worse. Food was good, kids loved the grilled ham/cheese sandwiches for lunch and pasta station - the room was always cleaned well-you got used to towels being taken in mid-morning and returned late afternoon. If you were desperate for shower in between-you always had your beach towel. I had read other reviews-so knew to ask for remote-and yes you have to leave deposit-but you got your money back when you left (most likely if you pay in US cash for it-they'll return in pesos - and do favourably on the exchange since us dollars were selling for as high as $10.50 in local banks. We were only there one week so didn't have time to get bored with buffet,etc. WE did the a la carte one evening and it was good, also went to that restaurant for one morning and lunch-just for something different - and meals were good. I knew booking that we were looking for hotel near the downtown, buses are great for getting around - and we spent lots of time out and about -not just sitting around a pool --we can do that in hotels at home. I'm not sure that I would book into this hotel again but if that's what was available- it would be fine. I find the more you travel the more you have to compare and maybe that's why some hotels get such a bad review but all in all, we enjoyed our stay at Las Palmas. We miss PV already -its a great place to see.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,120)

Minnesota
Reviewed 22 March 2006

My husband, sister, brother-in-law and I (all around 30 years old) stayed at Las Palmas by the sea from Sunday, March 5-Saturday, March 11. It was our first time to Puerto Vallarta. Afer reading the tripadvisor.com reviews we were worried that we were going to be staying at an absolute dump. We had a wonderful time. I am disgusted by the people who have written negative reviews of this hotel. If you spent your vacation 24/7 in a hotel room, then you should stay home!! This place is not the Ritz Carlton, but we weren’t looking for that. We were seeking sunshine, swimming and relaxation. We received plenty of sun, sleep and more!! We based our decision on the price and location of the resort. It was inexpensive, it offered everything we needed and we considered the food/drinks a bonus!

We arrived at 2 p.m. on Sunday. Since you are not allowed to check in until 3 p.m., we were given our wrist bands to eat lunch prior to checking in. We requested oceanview rooms (we booked through United Vacations and this option was not allowed through their online booking system) and we were accommodated. My sister and her husband had a room overlooking the “activity” pool and dining area. It was loud in the morning as people were outside getting ready for the day. It was large and had a king-size bed with a personal balcony facing the ocean. The room that my husband and I stayed in was on the 3rd floor and overlooked the “quiet” pool and the ocean. It was a basic hotel room and we were happy with it (see photos). The open-air hallways were nice. We could hear the waves of the ocean crashing and it was so peaceful.

The ocean waves were rather large, so not many people swam in the ocean. The resort has two pools and although they are smaller than they appear on the web site (----), they were perfect. We chose to spend most of our days by the “activity” pool because there was less shade. My husband, sister and brother-in-law spent a lot of time in the hot tub.

The activity directors were absolutely hilarious. We played Bingo by the pool, watched Columba lead the aqua aerobics and painted tiles with Fernando. Tony is a great activity director. The evening entertainment was fun as well. The shows they put on are pretty funny.

We especially appreciated not feeling crowded at the resort. Because the hotel had a few spring breakers, we placed our towels on the chairs before they were awake—and we got the places directly in the sun. We enjoyed the company of the spring breakers as they served as our entertainment.

We walked down the beach each way in the mornings to check out other resorts for our next trip. During our walk, we talked about the things we appreciated most about our resort. The hotel is reasonably close to town. It has 2 pools and a restaurant that makes you feel as if you are sitting on top of the water while you dine. It has three bars and 2 restaurants. It has a quaint, Mexican feel. The staff was wonderful. Hector was very friendly and gracious. We really appreciated Pedro’s sense of humor and all of the bar staff was friendly/helpful. People told us to stay away from the time share people, but we never had a problem.

The bars at the hotel were more than adequate. We had fun picking new drinks from the drink book. We were impressed that they offered any rail drink that you could think of. It was fabulous! All-you-can-drink!

The food was OK, but we didn’t choose this hotel for the food! Breakfast was good. They had an omelette bar and a separate sea-side restaurant that featured waffles, pan cakes and french toast. We ate lunch there almost every day to get our fix of nachos, burgers and quesadillas. We didn’t ever get sick on our trip as others have reported. We went to dinner in town every night as we were in town exploring and shopping anyway.

Cabs are available right outside the hotel for $4(US) to downtown. We enjoyed dinner at PiPis, el Panoram, No Name Café and others. There is plenty of entertainment in town. Beware of "drink deals" at bars such as the Zoo. Make sure you visit the Hilo bar and talk to the wait staff about the history of the revolutionaries (the bar features statues of them).

Make sure that you tip your maid in your room each day if you want to have your room made up. $2 is sufficient. Don't be stupid and leave your money in your room at any hotel, if you don't want it stolen.

If you are questioning staying at this resort, please do not worry. If you are selecting based on sunning, lounging and just chilling out—you’ll have a fine time!!

PLEASE steer clear of the Shamballa boat tour (we dubbed it the sh!tballa). The tourist director told us it was wonderful. It was one of the worst experiences of my life… We were all were seasick (imagine: people puking off the edge of the boat) and wasted our entire day on a crappy, old, run down boat amidst 70-something drunk people. It was AWFUL. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT waste your day or your $35!!

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kelowna B.C.
Reviewed 19 March 2006

Just to let you know this hotel has the attitude that they are right and you are wrong.The boss has a personality of of a rat. OK here as long as you dont have a problem, you will see that there are people complaining alot about rooms, we had a door problem that would not lock, it was like pulling teeth to get anybody to fix it. We were a group of 11 and 4 lost there ala cart meal voucher and they would not honour the dinner. I will not viset here again.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 March 2006

Las Palmas was a beautiful hotel but I do not recommend it during spring break. Our family went and there was no kid activities due to all the college students taking up the activity personnel's time. No kids pool so the kids had to swim with all the college students not the best conditions. There was an adult only pool that was much quieter. The fiesta night was great. The shows were average. The shows were in the lounge next to the bar so it was loud and sometimes hard to hear with all the excitement at the bar. The beds were hard and had to go to Walmart for some foams. The staff was always friendly. We ate at the pancake house for breakfast and one morning saw dolphins swimming by and it was also very quiet since most people went to the main restaurant for breakfast. Beautiful ocean view. Probably would try somewhere else next time.

7  Thank Tracy064
Reviewed 8 March 2006

The room was falling apart and the air conditioning didn't keep the room cool. The bed was extremely hard and the food was not very good with few choices. If you are an early to bed person don't expect to be able to get to sleep until after 11:00 PM due to all the noise. We planned to stay for 10 days but found a much better hotel to switch to after 4 days. We go to Mexico twice a year and have been for the last 8 years and this was the worst hotel we ever stayed at. There's also what appears to be a stream with human waste running along side the hotel which empties into the ocean. With all the brown stuff floating in the swimming area we never once went into the ocean. The 2 pools are also very small, one of which is strictly for kids.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank billpeterson1
Reviewed 1 March 2006

We stayed at the Las Palmas from Jan. 21-Feb 4. We arrived at about 11:30 A.M. and couldn't check into our rooms until 3:00 so they led us to a room which we could change into shorts & T-shirt. They gave us our bands so could go have dinner and drinks, which wasn't a problem at all. By 3:00 we checked back and our rooms were ready as promised.
It is a very unique resort with open air hallways and open walkways from one side of the hotel to the other.
The rooms were nice, old, but nice. I did miss not having a coffee pot in the room. There is nothing fancy - no hair dryers, no clock, no iron. There is a T.V. We had a beautiful ocean view from our room
and looked down at the "quiet" pool. As mentioned
about the beds - I didnt have a problem at all.
The resort itself is beautifully laid out. It is small, which is a bonus to me. The pools(2) were never crowded. The beach got a little crowded some days but we were always up early enough to get the spot we wanted. The only complaint I have is I wish they had loungers at the beach instead of the sway-back chairs. From sitting in the sun all day,as opposed to laying in the sun, I came back home with some pretty fancy tan lines on my belly! The ocean had a real drop-off so that was dissapointing, because I love going in the ocean but only went in twice.
You can walk for miles along the beach either way, but on either side of our resort were big rock piles. You can walk over them (if the vendors can walk them with their arms full of goods for sale then anybody can.)
On occasion, you can even see whales right from the beach.
We found the bar service excellent. I read some reviews that said the drinks were watered down - well ours certainly weren't. The service in all aspects actually was great. Except the activities were lacking. I suppose if you spent all your time at the activity pool there was more action. We spent most of our time at the beach and only once did any one come around to see if we wanted to participate. We played boccee once and my husband won a T-shirt. One other day I joined in playing volleyball. It may have been due to the fact that a lot of the people there were elderly and didnt want to play games.
We stayed 2 weeks, so found the food got very tiresome. Breakfast was always good and lunch but supper was lacking in "normal" food. The meat was always in a sauce, and not a great variety. The good thing is Burger King is just a block away one direction and KFC one block the other. I will say the soup was always excellent.
The shows - some were excellent and some not so good, but that can be expected - they can't please everybody.
All in all, we had an excellent time here and the price was right.

• Stayed: January 2006
18  Thank lmanze
Claresholm, Alberta
Reviewed 12 February 2006

My husband and I had a great time at Las Palmas by the Sea. It was our first trip alone in the 21 years together. The workers treated us great even though we didn't realize for a few days that we should tip them. They are so polite and friendly. We booked in September for an end of January holiday and we got a great ocean view by the a la carte restaurant. We did tease the restaurant that the 3 parrots that would wake us up at 9 a.m. would make great Parrot Soup. We enjoyed the food, I chose something different every night to have more variety. The pasta and omelette making stations were great. Desserts were great too. Yes the beds were hard at first (we have a nasa type foam at home) but we were so tired from all the fresh air and walks and artists and shows at night that we didn't notice at all after awhile. We did 3 tours on our 7 night and 6 day trip. I recommend to do only 2 tours a week so that you can check out the Flea Market and walk down the streets. We did the City Tour, Yelapa and Majahuitas tour (snorkeling and fishing village) and the Horseback Riding Tour (should have been with feeding ostriches and fishing but it did not happen) so I don't recommend it if you want to feed ostriches and go fishing. Expect to pay for toilet paper when you leave the resort, made you look forward to your nice clean bathroom at Las Palmas by the Sea. We will definitely go back next year but I will do 2 weeks but at 2 different hotels just for variety.

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member