“Great place and affordable”

Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #30 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Great place and affordable”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Everyone who writes reviews is either one extreme or the other. People get crazy with their reviews and just complain. I stayed here for one week August 18-25th for $80/night and enjoyed my room and stay in 1722. The room was clean, had a comfortable bed and a gorgeous view. One only thing that bothered us was that the ac motor was loud but we called and they came right away to fix it. Something that annoyed me was this timeshare light skinned lady with blond highlighted hair interrupted my purchase of 3 Vallarta adventure trips worth about $400 by constantly interrupting the lady who was helping me. She kept asking the lady that was helping me for coupons, papers, etc for a time share participant. After more than a few times of interruption the lady who was selling me with the adventures finally told fake blondy that I was there first and she thought blondy was going to be quicker, which I appreciated. Other than that I would stay there again. It was in a great location and you could catch the bus right in front of the hotel for 6.5 pesos. It was a 15/20 min walk to the Malecon which was great. It's 5 blocks away from Pepe's if you want a late night meal of tacos. They can store your luggage for you if you need to check out but your flight doesn't leave until later. They also exchange your money for a fair amount(12.6 pesos/$1) for you just show them your passport. Everyone prefers pesos down there and will give you better prices if you have pesos handy. Staff was friendly, just treat people nice and they'll treat you the same way. Another bonus is xxox (convient store) is right across the street if you need snacks or water. You can also take bus to wal mart and buy snacks too. We didn't do all inclusive because I figured there would be restrictions and the food would get tiring. Plus, I wanted to try cheap local places. Sea monkey and cheeky monkey (owed by same person)had $10 breakfast for 2 and $1/$2 drinks. We did eat at La villita once and had hamburgers that were expensive (which we expected but it was raining so we didn't have many options) and not very good, but oh well big deal no harm done and we were starving so we ate the whole thing. I'd advise to take a yellow taxi from airport to hotel. We took a white one (prob airport taxis)for $19 to hotel. From hotel to airport yellow taxi was 80 pesos for about $6. We knew we were paying more, but we didn't know the tricks of the city yet. Find a shuttle or yellow taxi and you'll be better off. Great hotel, beautiful views, great room,great location, helpful staff, accommodating. Would stay again!

Room Tip: Higher rooms=the better the view.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank JazleneG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (849)
  • Turkish first
Camarillo, California
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Had to go to Mexico for 2 weeks and got a great deal at the hotel. Average of $230 per night for a family of 4, all inclusive! Hotel is a little dated but very clean. Restaurants are limited as one does not accept young children so after 2 weeks the menus became repetitive. BUT would totally recommend for the value and the staff. It was not too busy and the staff went above and beyond for anything that we needed in the restaurants, by the pool and for room service. Special thanks to Antonio and Oliviero!

Room Tip: We were not scheduled to have a room with a balcony but I did ask at check in and we were upgraded w...
3 Thank 146Rebecca
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I was very disappointed with our stay, we where their for 5 day 4 night. The staff was very rude and the service was terrible. At one point I waited for about 20 minutes at the pool side bar I finally had to say something to the bar tender to even acknowledged me and when he took my order he passed it on to another bar tender and she only gave me half my order. The same thing goes for the staff in the restaurant. We waited about 20 min for someone to get our drink order and that didn't happen until I flagged a waiter down he directed me to the self serve aguas frescas which I was not a fan of anyway all I wanted was a bottle of water. The same went for snack bar pool side, asked the waiter for a bottle of water he said he didn't have any when I seen some on his serving table when I called him on it is when he gave me one. The service was horrible throughout the hotel even the pool side towel service I will never stay here again we visit Puerto Vallarta at least every couple years. The beach (what beach) I think we have better beaches in Wyoming. The only good note is the pool had a large section for little kids to play and enjoy at least they enjoyed something. NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!!

Room Tip: don't stay here it sucked
4 Thank Juan O
buganviliasrp, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear Juan,

Thank you for posting your feedback from your visit with us. The pool bar and restaurant service troubles you encountered during your stay are not typical of the service we offer, and I regret that you were unable to address these concerns prior to your departure, please accept our sincere apologies.

We appreciate your insight and hope you will give us the opportunity to host you once again on your next visit to Vallarta and permit us to demonstrate the progress in our food diversity and service betterment.

Sincerely
WALNUT CREEK, CA
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Returned 2 weeks ago from a 5 night stay here. 3 of the 4 of us got serious Montezuma's Revenge. My 19 year old daughter spent 4 of her 6 days in bed. My husband had to see the Dr. on the property because he was so ill. We had not eaten anywhere else other than the hotel when we became sick.

I was very misled by the $100.00 hotel credit per room. It is given in different increments which can only be used by those specific services. Very misleading. We didn't use our $200 AT ALL!

The beach in front of the hotel is made of rocks, not sand. Don't stay here if you like to walk on the beach.

We purchased the all inclusive package. We were not told before the trip that we were only allowed to eat at the nicer restaurant 1 night for dinner during our stay. It was open every other night. If we have purchased the all inclusive package, we should be allowed to eat dinner there as many times as we want to. There are 2 pools at the hotel and you are only allowed to get free drinks at 1 of the pools. Again, make it easy for the vacationers.

The hotel was close to capacity. Unfortunately we were the only American family
( 2 adults & 2 - 19 year old) plus 1 Canadian family at the hotel. I have a friend who stayed at the Vellas Vallarta the week before our trip. It wasn't just the Mexico tourists at her hotel.

The waiters at the buffet restaurant, nicer restaurant and outdoor pool were very nice. We did tip them each time we had breakfast or ordered drinks. The kitchen staff did make toast for my daughter for dinner since she couldn't eat.

The staff at the concierge desk are helpful and personable. They reserved a special table at 1 of our favorite restaurants off the property. Unfortunately we weren't able to eat there because we were all sick.

Our vacation was a total bust. I would not recommend this hotel. We stayed in Nuevo Vallarta a year ago and would hands down stay there again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank SANDYJOGS
buganviliasrp, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that you were sick during your stay with us and that we did not meet entirely the expectations you had, please accept our apologies.

One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Thank you for your comments about your satisfaction for the service rendered by our service staff.

Please feel free to contact me at the hotel so I can investigate this further, as I would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring.

If you have any further questions or comments, please let me know.

Middletown, Delaware
Reviewed 14 August 2012

What a great property as all most every room has a view of the Bay and magnificent sunsets. This is a waterfront hotel which offers beach to swimming pools for one to choose. Spa, gym and if you are a runner a track just across the street. Just a short walk away to the center of Puerto Vallarta and its great boardwalk. The staff was always at hand from the time I arrived to my departing farewell and hurry back. Being a golfer I was pleased to find the Sheraton offered discount rates at three of the leading golf courses in Vallarta. I will be there in January to enjoy a vacation of golf and fishing.

Room Tip: When you make your reservation always ask to be on the fourth floor or higher to take advantage of t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Carole C
buganviliasrp, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Carole:

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. Thank your for kind remarks on our water front rooms and friendly staff service, we are glad to see that our efforts were worth it.

Your pinpointing the Golf Course is important information for our future golfer travelers who will find an extra advantage with bargain fees when visiting at our resort.

Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back next january!

Warm regards.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 August 2012

If you are looking for a beach resort - don't go here. The beach is rocky and the sand is very rough. The rooms are outdated and moldy, and the food is bad. On a positive note, the staff was very friendly and helpful - with the exception of the swim-up bartenders. I agree 100% with DarrelRiley's review. Oh yeah, and I should add that my daughter and her friend (both mid-twenties) were robbed twice during our stay BY THE POLICE in downtown Puerto Vallarta.

3 Thank freqtravler2222
buganviliasrp, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Dear guest from Colorado:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that previous Sheraton Hotels have provided for you. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future.

In the meantime, please allow me to address a couple of your concerns. We are currently doing the necessary geological studies in order to help Mother Nature and improve the beach appearance in front of the hotel, hopefully by the end of the year our guest will find a more attractive view. We are also pleased that we could be of help to place your report to the police while were still in the hotel. Local authorities are conducting an investigation in order to prevent recurrence of similar events.

If you have any further questions or concerns, I would be happy to help however I can.

Sincerely
Monterrey, México
Reviewed 13 August 2012 via mobile

all rooms have a nice view of the water. staff is nice and pretty fast. room sevice was also a nice treat during our stay. good location and good food not great only sunday brunch is great, but over-all I give it 8 out of 10

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple