“Beautiful property....friendly staff”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Beautiful property....friendly staff”
Reviewed 28 March 2013

My husband and I went down to Puerto Vallarta for a Spring Break trip. We were pleasantly surprised by the Sheraton. The pools are amazing, the view of the ocean is spectacular....especially at sunset, the staff is incredibly helpful, and the location is great. It is walking distance from the malacon, yet far enough away that we could escape the craziness and have a romantic evening at the resort.

Room Tip: We had a balcony...worth the extra expense.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kelovell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (854)
  • Turkish first
Joliet, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Great location in walking distance to the Boardwalk and local flavor. Staff was always helpful and courteous. The time share desk is a little annoying until they realize you have been there a couple of days – then they leave you alone. Two pools, one quiet, one a little rowdy (but fun). This was our second stay and would go back again without hesitation. Met up with some old friends and made new ones.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keith T
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I stayed 5 nights at the Sheraton while I was out in Puerto Vallarta for a total of 8 nights visiting family and friends. The experience was great, I was treated by all personel and staff with all the attention one deserves. I got to use the two swimming pools, spa, and fitness room.
The breakfast, lunch and dinner was delicious. All around I had a great stay at this resort, everyone
Seemed to be so friendly. The room I had a great view and I was in walking distance from El Malecon. I will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jose Hugo G
Windsor Ont.
Reviewed 26 March 2013

The Sheraton leases space to vendors for the right to sell products on Sheraton property. This of course is an advantage to these vendors having potential customers on-site that other beach vendors do not have access to.
My compliant is the vendor assigned a spot by the Sheraton Hotel poolside named Herman- a young man and his wife trying to make a living selling crafts,bracelets,necklaces etc. This young man proceeded to tell me about his situation with a new baby and all so in order to assist we struck a deal to purchase crafts.He was going to make several necklaces and committed to have all completed before I departed which was 3 days away.
After day 1-he started to make the 1st necklace as a template-day 2 claimed his wife had completed 2 other necklaces and was going to deliver-no show no necklace. Day 3-started on a 2nd necklace but not completed told me to return at 6 P M already closed up shop and gone.
Promised that he would be there for Saturday 8:30 AM with all products as he was aware they were gifts-no show-at 11:00 AM attempted to seek assistance from the Sheraton staff but unable to find cell phone # for this vendor.
In conclusion had to leave without promised gifts and feeling betrayed by a young man I was attempting to help.
So in conclusion be very careful if you are planning on purchasing from this vendor and do not trust anything he says as he let me down, no integrity as well as he attempted to change his price point on several occasions. I should of learned after day 1 and placed a back-up plan in place but I trusted him and he defaulted on me.
Although this posting is being placed under the Sheraton Buganvillias Hotel site I also believe the management team of the Sheraton should have controls in place on these vendors for criteria such as opening and closing hours mandatory not come and go as you please.
A method to contact these vendors in case of a situation like mine as I believe this vendor defaulted on his delivery promise servicing guests of the Sheraton Resort.
Certainly a mechanism to voice displeasure in the actions of the on-site vendor.
I have sent an e-mail to the management team to contact me an owner of one of the units on the property before publishing this e-mail but as of this writing no contact by the Sheraton folks has occurred.
So in my opinion in order to teach this young man basic business enterprise we should all refrain from purchasing from him as we would do at home when unhappy about service levels, however I will leave that decision up to you.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank FrankBWindsorOnt_
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I stayed for a week in Puerto Vallarta. I spent 3 nights at the Sheraton.
The good:
1. Price is reasonable
2. Location makes it a close taxi ride to Old Vallarta/Downtown ($50 pesos)
3. Continental breakfast was better than others that I have had.

The not-so-good
1. Very very pushy time share people (immediate turn-off). They are EVERYWHERE.
Everywhere you went, you were hassled by time share vendors. They are in different parts of the hotel, and don't miss an opportunity to make a hard sell.
2. At check in, I was told that I did not have breakfast included in my stay. I told them I did, and I had the emails to prove it. However, they didn't have wifi in the lobby so I had to check in, then return to show them the email on my smartphone.
3. They force you to wear these wristbands for your entire stay (wrist band determines if you are all inclusive or if you have some sort of continental breakfast included). It is a hassle.
4. Terrible tips from the staff. I believe staff get a cut from every restaurant they recommend. Most of them have business cards with them and give them to you with their name written on them. The places we went to were AWFUL. Terrible, overpriced food. Funny that none of the staff knew any of the good restaurants that TripAdvisor members found good.
5. Check in staff was not friendly (kind of rude, actually). Check in was an absolute hassle.
6. Pool towels at check in. You get cards, which you exchange for beach towels. If you lose a towel, or if someone takes yours by accident, you are charged $20 USD.
So, would I stay there again? No, I wouldn't.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Richard R
buganviliasrp, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Dear guest from LA:

Thank you for informing us your experience in our resort, we deeply regret your disconcert.
We appreciate the opportunity to correct our service flaws, and review our customer care service along with our sales staff approach to convene with our guest expectations.

In the main time, please accept our apologies for the inconveniences this situation may have caused you and your family.

Sincerely
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton for a week in March 2013 as a group of friends, all inclusive. As other reviews have commented on, the hotel is in a great location. Very close to the airport and to the boardwalk. The resort is older so if you love brand new modern suites it probably won't appeal to you. We found it very charming and more than adequate. A few people complained about the firm mattresses and rough sheets, but I can sleep anywhere so it wasnt an issue for me personally. There was free wi fi but it was spotty and not always available. The grounds are beautiful and there are so many people constantly maintaining and cleaning everything. We all had rooms on the 20th floor which have stunning views of the water and pool below.

During the week we were there it wasnt very busy so the buffet was closed three nights so we were able to eat at the two restaurants more often. Both were good, but we all loved the food at Gaviotas. There were ten of us so we sampled a lot of dishes and they were all pretty outstanding. The buffet got old every day for breakfast but there is not much the resort can do about that. Overall it was mostly decent food. I wasnt always impressed with the pool side food (La Pergola), other than the chips with salsa and guacamole. We ate it every day, its amazing! We were always able to find pool chairs any time of the day in the sun or shade.

The staff at the resort made our trip wonderful. Everyone we dealt with was friendly and accomodating. Miriam in the bar was fantastic! She went out of her way to make sure we were well taken care of all week. Felipe at restaurant was also great.

Overall we had a wonderful holiday. I would stay at the Sheraton again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank christy111032
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This was my first time to PV and to Mexico in general. Went with a group of 10 friends and did the all-inclusive option (arranged by Transat Vacations) and stay 7 nights. Everything from check-in to check-out was seamless.

Our rooms were located on the 20th floor (actually the 10th storey) and had wonderful views of the ocean. We even saw whales breaching one day. The rooms were clean, freshly painted, and housekeeping was prompt. There was no balcony but the windows open wide to let in the warm ocean breeze.

There are two pools - one seems to be used mostly by the guests who are not doing an all inclusive since its pool bar is the only one not included but everyone is still welcome. The service at the other pool bar and by servers walking around was excellent. We never had a problem finding empty lounge chairs, even arriving mid-day at the pool we were able to accommodate all 10 of us in a section. There are lots of shade options as well which is nice when you need a break from the sun! If you are looking for beach swimming, the water becomes deep quite quickly and there is a rocky shoreline so keep that in mind. Special mention to Felipe who served us lunch on the terrace (which later at night becomes an Italian restaurant). His customer service skills were top-notch and he had the entire table laughing with his witty humour.

Another special mention to Miriam who served our group a few nights in the lobby bar and at the tequila bar. Make sure to request her rendition of 'la cuccaracha'!

The location of this resort is fantastic for those wishing to venture into town and wander along the Malecon and over to the old town. It is about a fifteen minute pleasant walk from the hotel to the Malecon. We did this walk both during the day and at night to check out some of PV's nightlife and and it felt very safe no matter what time of day. If you prefer to taxi, it's a cheap cab ride.

I would without a doubt go back to this resort and to PV. The all-inclusive was an attractive option when traveling with a large group of people but given the proximity of this hotel to the Malecon it would be easy to not do the all-inclusive and check out more of PV's restaurants.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean-view, but you'll get a better view from a higher floor. Floors are number te...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends