“Great location close to downtown”

Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #32 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 November 2013

As all-inclusives go the food here is quite good. On Sundays there is a brunch Mariachi serenade wthat is truly excellent and there is entertainment going on all the time. The rooms are huge and very comfortable, the staff is well trained and very friendly and efficient.

The timing of when facilities are open and closed seems odd, but it could have been that we were there in the off-season. Several times we were told at one restaurant that they were closed and no other location was open yet. An hour of overlap would make a world of difference.

WiFi is free in the room and throughout the hotel for guests, but in our room it only really worked in one corner of the room and it constantly dropped which was annoying. We ended up going to the business center where the wifi worked well.

All rooms have sweeping views of the beach and the bay. Although the beach has a lot of stones it's easy to swim from. There was a fairly steep drop-off though, not a place for kids unless they are great swimmers.The pool is better for kids, it's quite shallow with plenty of play spaces for small kids.

Room Tip: Go for the club level to get a fantastic view, full access to the hotel and free continental breakfa...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Fouts:

We appreciate your words about our hospitality and restaurants. We will take note about this review to offer a better service the next time you come back with us.

We really love to read the comments of our guests when they enjoyed their time during their stay at Sheraton Buganvilias, this is the most important thing of our work.

Sincerely

Write a ReviewReviews (3,768)

Reviewed 22 November 2013

the Sheraton is upgrading many rooms to accommodate the new customers with children. also they have remodeled two floors featuring new appliances and furniture. they are vey deluxe. of couse the location to town is attractive to the seniors and their families. the walking track across the street is excellent location for the morning jog. the buganvilias is improving the sandy beach and installing cabanas in front of the ocean. excellent location. the plantings are a major parts of the surroundings. the grounds are well maintained. the new sky suites are fabulous and the completion of the 17th floor will be the next featured floor. the restaurants within walking distance are very special and safe walk. a must to visit.

Room Tip: the higher rooms provide a better view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear James:

Thank you for giving us your time writing this great review. We really appreciate your words about your comfortable stay that you had with us. We are refreshing our rooms in order to improve your relax during your vacation.

We hope that the next time you come back to Puerto Vallarta, you decide to give us the opportunity to be your host again.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I attended a three day seminar this weekend. The front desk staff was fabulous; letting me check in 2 hours early and checking out two hours later. I was assigned an ocean front room without a balcony and returned to the desk to request a balcony; no problem. All accommodations were nice and cleaning staff were friendly. Internet service in the room/grounds worked fine and the buffet food/staff were great. The only negative is the person who attends the small convenience shop next to the seminar room; she either doesn't like her job or people as I found her to be one of the most unfriendly people I've met in Mexico; when I said buenas dias I received no response. before leaving I tried to get a reaction and said: bien dia; her response: okay. Same on Sunday. Wow!

Room Tip: I chose a room with a balcony just for the extra room to be able to walk outside. I had to look thr...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Jeanie:

Thank you for your great comments about our rooms. We are always improving our facilities in order to make your stay a comfortable one.

We want to apologize about the treatment of our associate; we all greatly enjoy working for our hotel and to serve you during your stay.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We have been to Puerto Vallarta many times and almost always stay here. We love to sit on a lounge by the water, read and snooze. Rooms have spectacular, panoramic views of the bay. Location is perfect for an easy stroll to the old town. Take a city bus from the airport for 50 cents. Friendly, helpful staff. Clean and spacious rooms. The two pools are large and clean.

Room Tip: Try to get higher up for a better view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Manager at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Steve:

Thank you for your advice and recommendation, we are glad to hear that you are always happy staying with us! We always work to make our guests wishes come true.

We appreciate your time to leave us your comments.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We've been to PV many times, first time at the Sheraton. It was a great experience for us and we would recommend it.

Great food (mostly Mexican off menu), good drinks and for the most part good service. I think we were upgraded, but it wasn't really explained what that meant with the all inclusive package. Angelica in the lobby bar was the highlight for us, she was a great server.

Because we were traveling on our own and we like to meet people in the evenings, that was the only downfall for us and would probably stop us from returning. There was no bar to sit at, just chairs and tables in the lobby bar, and we saw a lot of singles and couples leave early in the evenings being bored. Not a place for socializing, unless your with a group...they need a sit at bar....then it would be perfect!

We also were freaked out with the number of iguanas at the quiet pool, but by the end we were feeding them leaves! They were awesome.

All in all, This hotel is excellent.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JLindsVan

Dear Linds:

We are really glad to hear that you had a great time with us! We want to thank you the time you have to write this review for us.

We are always working to improve our services and the amenities that we offer to our visitors, so we appreciate your review about our lobby bar, we will take note about your preferences.

We will be waiting for you next time you come to Puerto Vallarta.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Let me start off by saying I personally like to stay at a Hotel more than once before writing a review. I feel you get a true impression of how the property is run on a consistent basis. I just returned from my 2nd stay at Sheraton.
Arrival -Check in :
The front desk clerk was friendly greeted us with a smile and promptly completed our check in . . He spoke fluent English and only switched to Spanish when he realized we spoke Spanish. We were assigned the room we had booked ' Grand deluxe Ocean View '. The room met it's expectations , Very clean and presentable with the 'million dollar view ' we expected.
The hotel is over 30 years old , But is very well maintained . The rooms are simple in decor but in very good condition. The beds are comfortable especially based on North American standards. The air conditioner works very well ! The only negative is it does not have a fan speed control, Just on and off switch . The 32" flat screen TV has a very good selection of Local and American/ English channels.
Food and Drinks :
For those guests that choose the all inclusive package between the Buffets and À la carte restaurants and in house Menu and Room service . I am sure you will find ample selection of food to satisfy all your needs. My only suggestion to the hotel..Would be to have a few dishes in the buffet that reflect the tastes and spices of Mexico. I realize most dishes are geared towards the " Gringo " taste buds but even some " Gringos " enjoy some heat !
Please remember if you do like the selection at buffet you can ask for the Restaurant Menu and order from there. It does take a bit longer as the order is prepared on request , but well worth it.
Drinks are typical of any resort ..A very good selection Tequila's to sample.
Pools:
The pools are very well kept and lots of lounge chairs to choose from . The pool on the Hotel Tower side is typical with music and lots activities and of course waiters serving drinks . This pool does also have a swim up bar.
The pool on the time share side is much more tranquil no music and a lot less activities going on . More of place to relax and enjoy the atmosphere.
Time Share Sales Reps:
Time share sales people all over Puerto Vallarta.. Even at the hotels.. Their job is to get your info to sell their product.. If you are approached by someone offering to help or provide information. Please be blunt ask do you work for the Sheraton Hotel if not just say..I'm NOT INTERESTED ..Are they wearing a uniform that says Sheraton if not say i'm not interested. Any phone calls to you're room ask if they are from the front desk..Do not provide any info on the phone..Please remember the Hotel already has you're info.
Special Thanks :
I like many Charter Package Vacationers are at the mercy of the Tour companies that offer their package vacations. This time I was with Sun Wing Vacations .
I was fully aware that the hotel check out time was 12 noon and my flight was at 8:30 pm that evening. I do understand that some hotels do their best to accommodate a later check out and its not always possible . What i was not prepared for was that the all inclusive portion was also finished at noon . I have personally never experienced this as most Tour companies pay for the day of departure as well. This allows you do enjoy the hotel amenities till your same day departure time. Hopefully this will end after Sun Wing receives my strong complaint letter.
I have to commend the Sheraton for having such a Professional and caring Concierge Lu Lu who did her best to make our 6 and half hour wait as comfortable as possible . Even without the comforts and amenities of hotel available to us her sincere apology meant a lot to us .Lu Lu was also dealing with some very disgruntled guests from the same tour operator. I was impressed that Lu Lu also took an interest in finding out more information about the attractions and venues for Gay and Lesbian guests. This is more real information and much more helpful than what appears in the tourist brochures. I'm sure the information that I provided and Lu Lu's attention to detail and genuine interest in looking after all the needs of guests at The Sheraton Buganvilias ..Well done !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PabloFromYyz
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Pablo:

That’s a great review! Thank you for the time you take to give us these words about your experience in our Hotel. Let me tell you that every day we come to Sheraton for work in a simple thing… Make your dreams come true, we really love to hear our guests that they had a great time with us.

We assure that we will be working in that little things those were bothering in your stay, so you can realize that this review was so rich for us.

We hope you let us to be your host again in a future trip to Puerto Vallarta.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

This is a very good hotel if you are looking for entertainment, a nice view and comfortable rooms. It is huge and has a great pool, offers lots of activities for children and grown ups and is not far from Vallarta's downtown (40 pesos taxi ride / 6,50 pesos for the bus). I have stayed at a Starwood Preference Floor (don't know exactly what this means, though) and had a very big room with great view of the bay area. There were two full beds that were very comfortable. The toilet and bathtub are separated from the sink, which is convenient if you are sharing the room with other people. In the wardrobe there are an iron, an ironing board and a safe. The cable TV has plenty of channels (including US American channels). Air conditioning worked fine to me, but I overheard some guest complaining about his. WiFi internet works well in the lobby and ground floor, but is poor in the rooms (not only mine).
The downsides was the poor costumer service upon my arrival. I had booked my reservation online and somehow my Amex wasn't working (they only accept VISA and AMEX, no Diners) and the front desk made me feel like a criminal who was trying to stay at the hotel without paying for it. I was staying there on business, so there was no reason for me to stay there without paying. I had arrived in the evening, it was extremely hot and they not even offered me a water while I was trying to figure out an alternative. Even though it is a 5 star hotel, I would have had to pay for the phone call to Amex to check if the reservation had already been booked from my card, so instead I used my Skype account to make the call. They also told me that I had no right to have breakfast, altough the e-mail exchange with the sales person informed me that the prices included breakfast and I should make the reservation online, as I did. SInce the link wasn't available anymore, I couldn't prove that there were no options for booking a room with or without breakfast, which mislead me to a booking without breakfast (which makes absolutely no sense since I was staying at the hotel because of an event happening in there). It also took the hotel almost 6 hours to find a package that was sent there to me.
It's important to notice that the concierge service was kind and helpful, very different from the arrogant attention payed by the frontdesk.
Another detail is the food: horrible. I have ordered room service and the peperoni pizza they served me was the worse pizza I have ever had. And until 12:15 PM you can't order anything to eat in the pool area. Not even breakfast. I had all my meals in the restaurant across the street (called 100% Natural, a restaurant chain with many healthy and also mexican food options). It's totally worth it and much cheaper than the 400 pesos they charge you for the breakfast.

1  Thank Traveller_SAO

Dear Laura:

We are really sorry about all the inconveniences you got in your stay with us. Unfortunately we don’t accept Diners, but we got many other options for our guests.

We offer you our most sincerely apologize and we want to have another chance to host you and take out the bad image that we build in you.