“indifferent employees in all areas.”

Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #31 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 May 2009

beach and pool: the pool areas are nice, the beach not nice with very dirty sea water
very bad that if you have a late flight the hotel cannot even offer a shower room (only at the SPA for 50 pesos) if you want to spend the day at the pool as they demand check-out at 12.
hotel: location is fine, the rooms are no more than OK. Gym is very small.

but the worst is the lack of attention of the employees. No smiles and no willingness to help or assist. Even tried to trick people at check out, adding costs to the invoices. (we were a lot of people attending a fireworks symposium and the same happened to many of us). When we asked for a review card the only nice girl we could find went to get it, but still no reaction from this so-called high class hotel. I spend approx 100 nights all over the world in nice hotels and this was certainly the worst experience I have had in many years.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank loingboing
Write a ReviewReviews (3,862)

Reviewed 17 May 2009

This has been our 5th trip to Vallarta and to this hotel. The staff is the friendliest. Stayed at the club rooms, very good value. Service, as usual, was good. Good food, good drinks. We liked the new area where you can use their computers and internet while having coffee. We went on a hiking tour, first time we do that... it was fun. And we walked to town every evening, a pleasant stroll.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jim029
Reviewed 15 May 2009

My company scheduled a training meeting in Vallarta. I was skeptical about it as I have heard lots of stuff in the news about Mexico. Well, I was wrong.. The meeting was very good and we had plenty of time to play and enjoy Vallarta. Food was delicious and service at the hotel was great. I especially enjoyed the pool area and the jacuzzi. Also, I was able to use my laptop while working on my suntan! And the town was delightful and I felt very safe, even when I ventured throughout town by myself.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank atomic2009
Reviewed 14 May 2009

My fiancee and I spent there 5 fabulous days. The hotel is very close to town, we walked there every single day. Our room was very spacious and was overlooking the ocean, we could see the whole bay. They had an amazing buffet every morning. The staff was very attentive and nice, particularly that waiter by the pool area, I think his name was Roberto... We are ready to go back... as a matter of fact we learned today that we are going back in November as our good friends are getting married there. Can't wait.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suntan1044
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Room : I had booked an ocean king room but on checking in, was shown to a room on the club lounge level with an outdoor terrace. Naturally I did not complain, just assumed the hotel had given me an upgrade. When I saw the other rooms in this hotel, they were all very old and dated. The lower the floors, the worst it became. When I checked out, to my surprise they wanted to charge me double of what my reservation was confirmed for!! When I complained, the lady from the reservation took my confirmed reservation (make sure you always have that handy with this hotel) and went to check. She came back and explained it was a "mistake" that I was put in the "wrong" room and that she would charge me the cheaper rate. Well you would have thought that was a given for any international hotel chain.

Service - generally OK, but most of the time you have to work very hard at attracting waiters for service. I had tipped about 10% at restaurants since the receipt you sign has an empty space for gratuity, but imagine on checking out, there is a mandatory service charge already per night based on your room rate!! I was never told about this, so it was a bit cheap of the hotel to do that.

Business Centre : The people running the business centre certainly held their hands out for tips!! My photocopying cost 15 pesos and I gave him 20 pesos and he told me he had no change and that is was only 5 pesos, not much money at all. If it is not much money, then why keep it as his tip?

If it were not for the convention that was being held at the hotel, I would not come. It's not really a resort you can relax, it's mostly a convention hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank lovetotravelhk
Reviewed 29 April 2009

I liked this hotel. We stayed at the "Condo" side of it because I own a timeshare. Our room had a great view of the ocean (the resort is right on the beach - albeit the "rockier" portion of the beach, but nice nonetheless). It's within walking distance to downtown, and if you don't want to walk you can take the bus (the bus stop is right outside) for about 50 cents (5.5 pesos to be exact).

The pool area was nice - there are two pool areas. The "condo" side had a middle island where the hot tub (largest hot tub I've ever seen) is located. The cool thing is that there are iguanas living on that little island so you can view some wildlife while you're at the pool. My friend said she saw two of them actually swimming in the pool at one point. The hot tub was super large, but it wasn't necessarily hot or bubbly - it was nice though. The drinks at the pool were strong and they have a drink that's called the "Coco Loco" which is some type of super strong rum drink inside of a coconut. The prices were about the average resort price - about 4 or 5 bucks for a drink.

The maid staff at the hotel were good, although since they have a lot of area to clean in the condo side they kind of take a while. I called down for more towels instead of getting maid service one day because I was hanging out in the room, and they came up right away and instead of just handing me towels at the door they came in and put the towels where they needed to be and emptied our trash while they were at it.

The room was nice - it was a one bedroom condo room. The couches in the living room are somewhat hard, but not bad. The bed was super comfortable - it was a normal length but wider than normal, so that was good for stretching out in. The lighting could use a little updating, but it was okay.

If you aren't interested in sitting through a 90 minute presentation about "fractional ownerships" or timeshares or anything of that nature, try not to talk too much to the people at the tables at check in. After checking in they will guide you over to a person at a table and they will start going over the map of the resort and stuff like that. They'll then ask you if you want to join them for a free breakfast, lunch or dinner. This is where they try to sign you up for a presentation. Just say you don't want to sign up for anything right now, give some type of excuse, and get outta there and go to your hotel room. Otherwise they'll pressure you into signing up for it. But, if you do want to sit through the presentation they do give you pretty good deals on stuff like snorkeling and the Mexican Fiesta party. It's your choice.

Overall I'd stay there again. Everyone was friendly and the resort was kept up nice. If you go to a hotel farther into downtown they get kind of crummy.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank LfromVegas
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Room not clean. Ordinary but expensive food. Front desk and so-called manager/concierge indifferent. Waiters indifferent. No beach. Pool water way too hot. Complaint sent to hotel as well as headquarters: no response from either. Conclusion? We'll avoid Sheratons for the rest of our lives.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business