“Los Tules is a beautiful resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Los Tules Resort

Los Tules Resort
Ranked #48 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Redlands, California
“Los Tules is a beautiful resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

Through an RCI exchange, we stayed at Los Tules from May 1st- 8th, 2010. The complex is huge, but uncrowded and impeccably maintained. The grounds are gorgeous, lush and beautifully planted.

We stayed in 6-316, which is on the third floor. Even my brother, who wears a leg brace and walks with a cane, was able to handle the stairs. There are no elevators, but the stairs weren't bad at all. The condo is one of the three bedroom (one king, two doubles, one double), four bath units. Five of us were very comfortable, but it's listed as sleeping ten. I think that would be very crowded, unless some of the occupants were small children. For a group of five adults, it was quite spacious. The kitchen was small, but the living room was nice and large. The master bedroom was great!

Some reviews have mentioned that the condos are dated and worn. Ours looked freshly painted and the furniture was in very good shape. It wasn't a five star unit, but it was spotlessly clean and nicely decorated. It was furnished in traditional Mexican style, not Four Seasons decor. We enjoyed it very much. The decks had lovely views of Banderas Bay. This condo is oceanview, not oceanfront. The beds were comfortable, bathrooms nicely done, but nothing fancy.

We were always able to find a lounger on the beach or around one of the pools. With seven pools, it's easy to find a quiet spot. The grounds are gorgeous to walk around and explore.

The onsite restaurant, Cafe Chapultepec, had excellent service and the food was quite tasty. The menu isn't huge and it's slightly pricey. However, we spent time there everyday. We ate a few breakfasts and lunches there. I loved the three hearts salad (hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, asparagus and spring greens) and my DH thought the chilaquiles were the best he's ever had. Two of our group ate the avocado and turkey sandwich every day.

I'm puzzled by the negative reviews posted here. Every staff member we dealt with was courteous and professional. In my opinion, it's up to RCI Gold Crown standards. We didn't notice bugs or any other vermin in our condo. I read each and every one of the reviews prior to our visit. I was getting somewhat concerned, but didn't have any problems at all. To each his own, I guess.

Would I stay at Los Tules again? Perhaps. I loved Los Tules, but didn't like staying in the hotel zone. I prefer the smaller complexes south of the Cuale River.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank spotcat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Terrace, B.C., Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2010

We stayed at Los Tules from March 27th to April 10th. Built in 1968 one can't expect it to be in 100% tip top shape & modern. We found our room to be in good shape, especially for the age of the resort. We stayed in a one bedroom unit, balcony off of the living room and one off of the upstairs bedroom. The balconies faced the ocean so we always had a nice view. The bed was a comfortable king size. TV in living room & bedroom. Adequate cooking utensils and with a grocery store across the street we ate breakfast, lunch & a few dinners in the room. We only ate at the restaurant a couple of times, and it was fine, we thought a little pricey compared to some of the restaurants down town. The grounds are beautiful and extremely well kept. The 8 pools also are well kept and you can always find a spot at one of them. We had maid service every day with clean change of towels daily. Very pleasant stay if you're looking for a quiet vacation. It's a 45 minute walk to the downtown area and we felt safe walking to and from town. We'd stay at Los Tules again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cheryl1977
surrey ,BC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

Hello
We recently used our intrawest points for an exchange in a 3 br unit at the Los Tules resort in Puerto Vallarta from March 6 – 13th. We knew before we left that the resort was labelled to be a quieter, more relaxed property on the beach but was still rated Gold Crown. The grounds are well kept and the pools are clean. However the rooms do not give it a gold crown status, in our opinion. They are very dated. Cupboard doors were hanging off their hinges, bathrooms are very old in need of updates (rusty faucets, old toilets, little counter top room, terrible lighting. The ants were a problem especially allover the kitchen area. We would wake up to make coffee and they would be swarming the counter tops and wall and all over the sink area. We called the front desk several times about this and I believe they bleached the area but it never solved the problem. (I realize this comes with being in a tropical climate but this was excessive) The final straw was on the Friday evening when we were all in our bedrooms (there were 6 of us 2 each in a bedroom) and our daughter and her friend started to scream loudly. Our son ran into her room and then he too screamed and bolted. We then ran down the hallway to their room where we discovered that her bedroom had literally HATCHED! There was a massive amount of flying insects ALL OVER THE ROOM, in the bathroom - every inch of it –EVERYWHERE in that room. (No window was ever opened) We grabbed their gear and toiletries and ran out of that room and shut the door. We immediately called the front desk for assistance and were told sorry can’t help you!!!!!!! Nothing we can do. They could not or would not call anyone (it was 11 pm) and told me basically to go away. As I persisted he said to run across the road and grab some bug spray! I pleaded with him to at least come up and take a look for himself but he would not. The girls toothbrushes were in a glass in their bathroom and it was ¼ full with bugs. We received no help whatsoever. Absolutely unbelievable and unacceptable. We were out early in the morning and again went to speak with one of the managers and all she said was that there seemed to be a missing spoon in the unit!!!!! To which we asked if they wanted out multi hundred dry cleaning bill from what the insects did in the bedroom (they later died after hatching and were all over the place) There was no apology, no concern and no compensation whatsoever! One of their employees (a local) told us that it was larvae living in the mattress or furniture or walls and at the correct temperature just hatched. This is a health issue! And one we are not happy to have been a part of. We tried to take photos of the swarm and have attached what we could take in the panic. I can tell you that the ceiling fans are from the 50s and cant be used due to noise and a/c units are marginal at best with none outside the bedrooms. Some units don’t work.

This is not a resort for people accustomed to true gold crown properties. We try to NOT accept lower rated properties for fear of things like this and this is wrong.
Thanks
Heads up
Bob & Cristina

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank yoeman
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2010

I would never again stay at this resort. What people have said positively about the resort is true, yes, it has beautiful grounds that are well maintained, 6 lovely pools (even though only 2 are heated, they are still lovely with ocean views and lots of chairs), and the location is wonderful - across from a mall, on the bus route, and with easy access to taxis. But that is the end of the positives. My husband, I, and my two teenage sons were checking in for a week. We did an exchange with RCI and due to a mixup on their part on a previous exchange, they were able to get us a 3 bdrm unit. I even confirmed this unit 5 days before arriving directly with the resort itself. They confirmed the room number was the same as assigned by RCI - 6-216. I know that room assingments can change, but you will still get comparable units.
We arrived at the resort after travelling all day, on a Saturday. Upon checking in we were told to go and speak with the concierge as our room was not ready.
Right, the concierge is a time share salesperson. We quickly advised her that we were not interested in any of her "special" offers or the free bottle of wine. Well she hastled us for 10 minutes before we finally go it across that all we wanted was our room key. (And for 2 days after until we made it clear that we were never going to be interested in going to a presentation.)
We went back to the checkin counter only to be informed that our room was not available but that they had 2 one bedroom suites for us, located in two separate buildings, approximately 1/2 a mile apart! Forget it, we are a family of 4 on holidays. They then told us they had 2 one bedroom suites in the buildings that fronted the main road. These are the worst bldgs in the complex and the units were not even adjoining. The building we were supposed to be in was on the ocean. Again, I said no way. Throughout this I was asking to speak to the manager. I was told there was no manager on staff - this being a Saturday, a major checkin day. I asked for them to contact RCI, sorry, they did not have the number. We told them to check us in to a condo on the hotel side but were told there were no units available. After being at the resort for a week we know this for the lie it was. (in fact, only 2 of the days we were there was the unit 2-116 occupied, and this was mid-week.) They basically tried to ignore us for 45 minutes until I finally told them that if they did not resolve this situation, I would interrupt them every time someone came to check in until they dealt with us. At this point, low and behold, a 3 bdrm unit in building 6, unit 116 - right below the one we were supposed to be in, came available. It took over an hour to get this dealt with.
Then, while we were completing paperwork they had us initial that we would have 8 towels. Before they gave us the towels, they gave us 2 keys. We asked for extra and they dug one up and had to change the coloured string on the 2 keys to match the new ones. In the process they forgot to give us the towels.
We realized this after dinner, went back for the towels, only to be told that it was tickets that you get and that we had been given them. I said that I thought not but would doublecheck the room. Sure enough, no tickets. Went back, patiently explained that in the confusion of the keys that they forgot to give us the tickets. I knew this because A, I asked for towels - I would have asked for tickets if given them, and B, if given them, I would have remembered them being counted out because I am careful about that sort of thing. Julio, the man checking us in, began to yell at us, asking if we were calling him a liar. Nooooo, but I think there was some confusion. We were going to be charged $200 for these towels! Finally, he agreed to do an inventory check. Well, I checked both of the next two days to be finally told on day 3 that there numbers seemed right - ie., no missing tickets. No apologies, nothing.
Regarding the rooms, they are spacious but very basic. The toilet in the ensuite was leaking, they were quick to take it apart, re-seal and fix it. The beds were like rocks - and I have always thought people exaggerate these things, not so. The rooms are 3 star.
My family has travelled twice a year, for 20 years on average. We have stayed in everything from a room with a bug zapper in it (yes, you read that correctly) - to five star accomodations. Never, never, have I experienced such awful service. It totally affected our holiday. We took the armbands off the second day, they are absolutely unnecessary and only dealt with the hotel staff for the rest of the week. Even though I saw Julio throughout the week, not once did he apologize for the terrible way he treated us.
I would never stay here again even though the grounds are nice. You can get nice grounds in many places, it is service that makes the difference.
I have also never felt the need to file a negative complaint on trip advisor but felt that this experience was so awful that it should be noted.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank vancouvertravelmom
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2010

My suggestion is do not stay in one of the rooms by the canal. We had a ground floor room right next to the dirty canal, lots of little ants, and....
The first night we were in there, I was moving one of the beds next to the wall for my son to sleep in. He's 2 and just transitioning into a bed from a crib so I didn't want him to fall out. I got him in his PJs and pulled back the covers and there was a huge squished cocroach under the sheets. Huge. Well, that wasn't the only one, my brother had one in his room too. The cleaned the beds that night. My husband and I slept on the couch in the living room. All throughout the night I heard things scurrying accross the floor. Every time I turned the lights on the noise would stop. Really nasty.
So get a room at least one floor up and away from the canal and you'll be okay.

Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank CAsunbunnies
Buenos Aires
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2010

If I would have paid more, rate would have been almost less than average, but for the USD45 dolars/night it was a very good alternative. Given October was low season hotel was under manteinance in many aereas and not all services were available. Service was not eficient and some basic stuff in the room (ie telephone) would not work event if claimed several times. But location is good, across the road from a mall to get filled up with basic stuff and from where bus transportation runs. Easy to acces from airport and from city center. Very nice room view to the ocean.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Maria_ARG
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2009

First off if they offer you free transportation from the airport be aware that they intend for you to attend a 90 minute sales pitch. If you refuse they want their money back. JUST SAY NO! They advertise courtesy transportation. Refuse to pay.

The grounds are very lovely and it is very quiet. Watch out for falling coconuts though. They could kill you.

We enjoyed the restaurant on site. We found all employees to be polite and friendly.

The units are somewhat dated, but how much time do you really spend in your room. They were clean and that is what counts.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple