“Good staff put poor hotel”
Review of Hotel Mercurio

Hotel Mercurio
Ranked #56 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Healdsburg, California
“Good staff put poor hotel”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The staff tries hard, service is good, they are very attentive to tripadvisor, but unfortunately, unless you are into gay-ghetto hotels, move on. For me, the idea that gays need to all be in the same hotel is outdated. Even if I was into that scene, fat bald gringos as are the rule here wouldn't quite do it for me.
My room looked so worn, I wanted to leave at once. The stucco is rough, stained, dirty; the bedspreads old and even torn in places. Yet, paradoxically, the bed was rather comfortable, and there were even a few signs of remodeling among the other worn furniture. Some of the wood was so worn as to be on its last legs however. The pool draws a crowd some nights and might be fun, but the pool area furniture is poor, not very clean, and generally unappealing. Bar staff was not very friendly. Hotel is in a good location, and with a remodel and maybe a different approach could be quite nice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank john_northbay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This property purports to be the best LGBT resort in the world, but no.

A definite high-point is the front desk and bar staff, who couldn't be more helpful and generous. Location is great too.

And that ends the list of the good stuff.

The rest of the story: rooms are small, damp, uncomfortable and old. If you stay on the third floor be prepared to hear your neighbors intimately -- every bathroom noise, snore and conversation might as well be in your own room. The beds are beyond uncomfortable, and I'm pretty sure Bill Clinton was president when they were last washed. And be careful of the exposed rotted beams.

For the price, there are better LGBT-catering places to stay. I'd stay here again in a pinch, but can't really recommend it as a first choice.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor. Walls don't go all the way to the ceiling so you'll hear more from y...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ChiTownLGBTTraveler
Reviewed 21 February 2014

The level of service you receive at this hotel rivals some of the best out there. The entire staff at this Puerto Vallarta gem will send you home with definite intentions to return. Special mention to Jorge the bartender who is such a happy and entertaining happy hour host, you will definitely want to return to see him again. David at reception and David from housekeeping were two of the kindest people ive ever encountered on a daily basis. I highly recommend this hotel it was my third time and I will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Isaac B
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Wow! I have been wanting to visit Puerto Vallarta for the past 10 years and finally had the opportunity this last February. The Hotel Mercurio staff exceeded our expectations, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for making our Puerto Vallarta Dream Vacation dreamier than ever imagined! Gary and David from San Francisco

• Stayed February 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at the 5star hotels, the Sheraton and finally this hotel. In all of our trips and hotel stays in PV it always lacked the socializing; until we stayed at the Mercurio.

We are a gay couple 28 & 44 yrs not much into the clubs but like to socialize and go to pubs. We stayed from jan 24-31.

Every morning we had a small brunch of unlimited scrambled eggs with ham. They had a fruit salad, various breads, coffee, OJ, and a side dish (bacon, meatballs or sausage). We got to eat around the pool and make new friends.

Location
The location was great as it was kitty corner to Apaches martini bar which is a great pub and you will meet many people there as well. There is a well know gym 2 blocks from hotel.

Service was excellent. First there is free wi fi all day and a free computer by pool area anyone can use at anytime ( it was always available to use).

Staff even made local phone calls for me to a vet and to restaurants to reserve a seat at no charge to me.

Staff were informative and helpful.

Price
Price was reasonable but more importantly if u pay cash u don't pay taxes of 20 percent so book and pay in person when u check in or out.

Drink prices were same as local bars and happy hr was worth attending as other visitors from outside of the hotel will come to happy hr at the hotel pool area.

Quiet:
I was concerned before I went to the hotel that it may be to noisy; I did not have this problem and I am a light sleeper. However, if u are a light sleeper or u like to sleep in than a room on the first level by the pool is may not be for you. Breakfast patrons may wake you if unlike to sleep past 9.

Cleanliness
No problems in this area as the staff cleaned our rooms well every day and to our surprise even folded our clothing we left on the floor.

Beds
The beds were fine but we had a king size bed as I'm 6'2" and my feet hung off the edge of the bed by a couple inches. I dont see to many 6 foot high mexicans so its understandable.

Future
Yes we will stay here for two weeks next time as its location was perfect, in the heart of the gay area, 1 block from pier. Close to the gym, close to Apaches, free computer, excellent staff, free breakfast, and we met so many new friends which is what set this trip apart from the others hotel chains we stayed at before.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Mercuriostaff, Owner at Hotel Mercurio, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you so much for this very kind review! While we know we are not on par with the Four Seasons or St Regis (nor do we charge liker them!) we strive to make every guest feel as welcome and as pampered as they would at those expensive luxury hotels. We take our misión VERY seriously, because, well... we love what we do! Please visit again soon! Thankss again!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I have stayed at Mercurio for several winter vacations and find the staff and setting to be congenial to me. It pleases me to share my poolside breakfast with other guests in the hotel, to converse at times and at times to sit in solitude. Mercurio's location is ideal for me as I enjoy walking to beach and shop, finding myself in the middle of more restaurants than I can cover in one visit, yet set back from Olas Altas just enough to give me a quiet room and restful night's sleep. The staff has always been friendly and helpful to me, tolerating my stuttering Spanish (and helping along with it), pointing out opportunities, making reservations, calling for the cab to the airport. I highly recommend Mercurio.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have bathroom layouts that can be highly challenging for long-legged people.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank invidigoth
Thank you so much for your comments! Feedback from our guests, whether positive or negative, helps us to constantly strive to do better. And when it's very positive, it makes our day to know we have succeeded in our misión to make every guest feel at home and want to come back again and again!

Oh, and those romos with the tight bathrooms (challenging for the long of leg, as you point out), we are aware and as finances permit, we are remodeling them to make the space more accesible. We just finished a beautiful remodel of the bathroom in room 205, which will be the template for other bathroom remodels! Plus, if all goes well, much bigger (I mean REALLY bigger) improvements are coming...if the finance capital gods are in our favor! Because our goal is to have it all...the best facilities, the best service, the best food & beverages, and the best value in pricing!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This is my second time staying at Mercurio and it was AWESOME just as it was the last time I stayed here! Unfortunately they couldn't book me for the last 2 nights of my vacation and I had to stay at Blue Chairs (a real HOT MESS) check out that review. Mercurio has the cleanest rooms, friendly bartenders at the pool side, friendly staff and a ROCKIN breakfast every morning---no not some continental breakfast, a real hearty breakfast of eggs and some meat dish with sauce, oh how nice it is to roll out of bed to the poolside and eat some good food without having to leave the hotel. Me gusta Mercurio!

Room Tip: I stayed on the third floor for most of the time and then 1 night on the ground floor and I slept we...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo