“Gay friendly great value”
Review of Hotel Mercurio

Hotel Mercurio
Ranked #56 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“Gay friendly great value”
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here twice a year for several seasons. In the heart of Olas Altas, steps from the beach, gay nightlife and PVs best restaurants. Mercurio's amenities are basic but complete (room safe, mini fridge, A/C, etc). The staff and willingness to help make it an outstanding choice.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alexander I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We have stayed at the Mercurio for many years. The staff at the front desk (David, Alex and Gabrielle) are all very nice and friendly. They will help you answering questions suggesting places to eat etc. The bar is run by Jorge, you couldn't ask for a kinder person. And he makes some great drinks. The Mercurio is located in the heart of the Romantic Zone. It's 1 1/2 blocks to the new pier and beach. An easy walk to the gay bars and night clubs. You couldn't ask for a better location.
However The Mercurio is in need of a makeover. The rooms are dark, dingy and dirty. The bathrooms are horrible, the shower and sink both leaked and you had to put towels on the floor. We had this room several years ago with the same problems. Some of the pool area furniture is broken. While sitting around the pool we spoke to other people about there rooms and no one had anything good to say about there accommodations. While we were there the front of the building was getting a paint job, which should help it look better. The Mercurio is usually full so there is no reason that it has been allowed to deteriorate to the condition that it is.
We stayed here for 5 days then moved to the Casa Donna Susanna. We did the all inclusive and it was only $ .80 more than the Mercurio. We will not stay here again unless some money is put into it to update the rooms from the beds to the dressers, paint, bathrooms. Again, the owners make a lot of money off of the gay community, it's time that they put money back into the building or they will start losing it's clients.

Room Tip: If you do chose to stay here, I have just a couple words of advice. Don't get the 3rd floor room...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rodney C
Mercuriostaff, Owner at Hotel Mercurio, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
We are sorry you were dissatisfied with your room during your recent visit. We certainly are aware that some of the rooms are not as nice as we would like them to be, and we are constantly…and I do mean constantly… spending to maintain the property. Like nearly all of the buildings in the Zona Romantica, Hotel Mercurio is an older building. The cost of maintaining and updating is tremendous. And we are doing our best. As you will note based on reviews across the internet (not just on TripAdvisor), the great majority of guests are extremely pleased with their room, the service, and the value we offer. We know we do not have a “Four Seasons” facility, but we also do not charge “Four Seasons” rates, even in the high-demand (and short) winter season. If you found that there was a leak in your shower and/or sink, I do hope you reported it. And if so, I can assure you it has been repaired…there are repairs we cannot do while the room is occupied, so at times a repair must wait until the guest checks out. We repair EVERY maintenance issue that is brought to our attention by guests or staff, at the first opportunity to do so.

I have also personally checked all of the pool chairs and tables… none are broken. So I would appreciate if you could be more specific about what you found broken. These furnishings are also regularly repaired, so perhaps you found something on one occasion before we were aware of it.

Oner item I think I MUST address: You noted that the hotel is “always full” and that we make “a lot of money off of the gay community.” Consider the following:

1.) Yes, we are always full from about mid-December to mid-March…a high season of about 3 months. For the past 5 years, thanks to US media spreading unfounded fears about travel anywhere in Mexico and an economic crisis that has all but crushed tourism in Puerto Vallarta (along with some other factors I will explain below)….we have lost a huge sum of money…I no longer have a retirement account, which I did have prior to buying the hotel in 2002…I also have sold all my other liquid assets in order to keep the hotel open…since it is not an asset that can be easily sold (much less in a period when the hotel industry is reeling and no capital is available for small-medium business investors). We did reasonably well from 2004 to 2009… since then, business in PV, for me and for every other business, has been extremely challenging.

2.) During the summer and autumn, not only is our occupancy down, but our rates average in the US$40 range (exclusive of taxes, which re merely a pass-through). That includes a breakfast that you’d pay US$10 for most anywhere, free wifi (have you stayed at a Hilton or Westin lately? They charge about $10 per day for this), free local and international calls, daily room cleaning, free use of beach towels, etc. The fact is, we lose money from about April to November, just like all the local small hotels, gay or not. You might say, “well, raise your rates so you can make enough to invest in the property!” But it’s not that simple.

3.) Puerto Vallarta has had a glut of condominiums since about 2007…there is, by some accounts, a 4-year inventory of condos for sale. And they keep building more (I won’t comment on who is financing these, and where that money comes from…but, it’s Mexico). These condos, whether owned by the developers or by absentee (largely US and Canadian) owners, are all for rent. The tourism office estimates that 40% of the vacation rental market is made up of condos. These condos are operating as hotels, even if it’s a hotel with one unit. Yet they pay: No IVA (the 16% value added tax we pay); No hotel tax (3% that we pay); No social security (generally they have a housekeeper working under the table, who comes in and cleans between rentals…not daily. Social Security taxes add about 35% to payroll in Mexico, all of which is paid by the employer); and most foreign owners are getting their payments via Paypal in the US, where they are not even declaring that income for income tax purposes. The local, state, and federal governments in Mexico is well aware of this, but cracking down on tax cheats in another country is difficult. Furthermore, condos enjoy residential, subsidized rates for water and electricity…businesses do not get this subsidy. So you can imagine how difficult it is for a hotel to compete in a market where the playing field is so tilted against us.

I do not bring all this up to make excuses…these are simply the facts of the business climate we currently have in Puerto Vallarta. Fortunately, this year, we (all of the business community) has seen some improvement. We are praying that this trend continues. And as it does, you will find that the quality on offer will also improve.

Thank you for your comments. I hope you will take mine into consideration, and give Hotel mercurio another try.

Paul Crist,
Owner.
Healdsburg, California
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The staff tries hard, service is good, they are very attentive to tripadvisor, but unfortunately, unless you are into gay-ghetto hotels, move on. For me, the idea that gays need to all be in the same hotel is outdated. Even if I was into that scene, fat bald gringos as are the rule here wouldn't quite do it for me.
My room looked so worn, I wanted to leave at once. The stucco is rough, stained, dirty; the bedspreads old and even torn in places. Yet, paradoxically, the bed was rather comfortable, and there were even a few signs of remodeling among the other worn furniture. Some of the wood was so worn as to be on its last legs however. The pool draws a crowd some nights and might be fun, but the pool area furniture is poor, not very clean, and generally unappealing. Bar staff was not very friendly. Hotel is in a good location, and with a remodel and maybe a different approach could be quite nice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank john_northbay
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This property purports to be the best LGBT resort in the world, but no.

A definite high-point is the front desk and bar staff, who couldn't be more helpful and generous. Location is great too.

And that ends the list of the good stuff.

The rest of the story: rooms are small, damp, uncomfortable and old. If you stay on the third floor be prepared to hear your neighbors intimately -- every bathroom noise, snore and conversation might as well be in your own room. The beds are beyond uncomfortable, and I'm pretty sure Bill Clinton was president when they were last washed. And be careful of the exposed rotted beams.

For the price, there are better LGBT-catering places to stay. I'd stay here again in a pinch, but can't really recommend it as a first choice.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor. Walls don't go all the way to the ceiling so you'll hear more from y...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ChiTownLGBTTraveler
Reviewed 21 February 2014

The level of service you receive at this hotel rivals some of the best out there. The entire staff at this Puerto Vallarta gem will send you home with definite intentions to return. Special mention to Jorge the bartender who is such a happy and entertaining happy hour host, you will definitely want to return to see him again. David at reception and David from housekeeping were two of the kindest people ive ever encountered on a daily basis. I highly recommend this hotel it was my third time and I will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Isaac B
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Wow! I have been wanting to visit Puerto Vallarta for the past 10 years and finally had the opportunity this last February. The Hotel Mercurio staff exceeded our expectations, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for making our Puerto Vallarta Dream Vacation dreamier than ever imagined! Gary and David from San Francisco

• Stayed February 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at the 5star hotels, the Sheraton and finally this hotel. In all of our trips and hotel stays in PV it always lacked the socializing; until we stayed at the Mercurio.

We are a gay couple 28 & 44 yrs not much into the clubs but like to socialize and go to pubs. We stayed from jan 24-31.

Every morning we had a small brunch of unlimited scrambled eggs with ham. They had a fruit salad, various breads, coffee, OJ, and a side dish (bacon, meatballs or sausage). We got to eat around the pool and make new friends.

Location
The location was great as it was kitty corner to Apaches martini bar which is a great pub and you will meet many people there as well. There is a well know gym 2 blocks from hotel.

Service was excellent. First there is free wi fi all day and a free computer by pool area anyone can use at anytime ( it was always available to use).

Staff even made local phone calls for me to a vet and to restaurants to reserve a seat at no charge to me.

Staff were informative and helpful.

Price
Price was reasonable but more importantly if u pay cash u don't pay taxes of 20 percent so book and pay in person when u check in or out.

Drink prices were same as local bars and happy hr was worth attending as other visitors from outside of the hotel will come to happy hr at the hotel pool area.

Quiet:
I was concerned before I went to the hotel that it may be to noisy; I did not have this problem and I am a light sleeper. However, if u are a light sleeper or u like to sleep in than a room on the first level by the pool is may not be for you. Breakfast patrons may wake you if unlike to sleep past 9.

Cleanliness
No problems in this area as the staff cleaned our rooms well every day and to our surprise even folded our clothing we left on the floor.

Beds
The beds were fine but we had a king size bed as I'm 6'2" and my feet hung off the edge of the bed by a couple inches. I dont see to many 6 foot high mexicans so its understandable.

Future
Yes we will stay here for two weeks next time as its location was perfect, in the heart of the gay area, 1 block from pier. Close to the gym, close to Apaches, free computer, excellent staff, free breakfast, and we met so many new friends which is what set this trip apart from the others hotel chains we stayed at before.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Mercuriostaff, Owner at Hotel Mercurio, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you so much for this very kind review! While we know we are not on par with the Four Seasons or St Regis (nor do we charge liker them!) we strive to make every guest feel as welcome and as pampered as they would at those expensive luxury hotels. We take our misión VERY seriously, because, well... we love what we do! Please visit again soon! Thankss again!