“Geat Winter Vacation Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Mercurio

Hotel Mercurio
Ranked #55 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
ddavila78704
“Geat Winter Vacation Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2009

This is our second time to PVR, and actually 2nd time to stay at Hotel Mercurio. We enjoyed how close the hotel is to the "family" beach, restaurants, and the clubs. This isn't your 5 star hotel, so don't count on it being this, but rather a nice place to stay (actually for us, sleep only). Affordable, and the staff is wonderful. You get a free drink when you arrive, and the drinks during happy hour are a great price. Being from Texas, the breakfast was also great, real eggs, and Mexican breakfast items. They have flat screen TV's in rooms. It was a great Valentine's holiday, as we got heart shaped ballon and chocolates in our bed! My other half tried to convince me it was his idea, yeah, right! Overall, great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Tulsa, OK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2009

First off, you get there and get a free welcome margarita. My two friends loved this!
The staff knows you by name, you know them, and there's a definite sense of family and community there.
The pool is the definite "meeting place." Whether it's breakfast cooked for you every morning, happy hour at the bar, or a quick dip at the pool in between, there's always someone to talk to poolside.
Oh yeah, and the hospitality. My friend lost his wallet when he was there. We got back to the Mercurio and the staff did whatever they could to make this (traumatic) experience a little more bearable for my friend. I told Paul (the owner) about how accomodating everyone was and he said, "Don't tell them... it may get to their heads!" LOL kidding obviously! But seriously, Gabriel, Juan Carlos, Lety, Jorge... the entire staff is great. If you ever need a real-life reference to how great this hotel is, please contact me: berman@kjrh.com.

• Liked — The staff and hospitality
  • Disliked — ? was there anything ?
  • Stayed January 2009
3 Thank Phlmn8r
Palm Springs, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2009

During the past 10 years, I've made 10 trips to Puerto Vallarta and have always stayed in Zona Romantica. During my first five
visits, I stayed in five different hotels--none of which I liked enough to stay at again. My most recent five hotel stays in P.V.
have been at Hotel Mercurio. There the staff treats you like an
old friend who has come to visit. They do everything they can
to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Recently, I left the Mercurio full of warm feelings. I know it's where I'll stay the next
time I travel to Puerto Vallarta.

• Liked — The warmth of the staff is what I liked best.
  • Disliked — At times, there was insufficient hot water.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Richard041
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

The Hotel Mercurio has good advertizing and I found it lived up to my expectations. I stayed 10 nights. It is especially good for the shy single non-out gay traveller because the guests and staff are friendly at the breakfast and Happy Hour times. I liked my room on the 3rd floor (302) because it is light and airy and everything worked well. There are good reading lights and the bed and chair were comfortable. Plenty of hanger and shelf space.The shower is big and worked well (no shower curtain sticking to you). The staff is small enough that soon you get to know them all by name. They are very helpful even with little trivial matters. I don't take vacations of the Vallarta sort very often but the Mercurio made it the way a vacation should be--no hassle. Reception was careful about keys and helpful with definite suggestions of alternative activities. For example, they set me straight on which zipline canopy tour to take (Los Veranos) and they were absolutely right. It was a fun, low hassle experience. The location is great especially because you can walk to the top of the street and go down stairs to be in a different part of town without passing the restaurants on Olas Altas. I plan to go back to the Mercurio next year. Unfortunately I think they cannot guarantee a specific room when you make a reservation even in advance. No big deal for most people but it is for me. I want 302! Ha!

Stayed January 2009
2 Thank Acetabularia
Oak Park, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

My partner and I stayed there from Nov 28 - Dec 6, 2008. We loved it. Upon arrival the staff saw my partner with can and immediately offered us a first floor room (hotel has 3 floors, no elevator). The room was simply but adequately furnished with a very comfortable bed, plenty of storage space and a new flat screen TV. The included breakfast, served by the pool, is very substantial and delicious. Each guest gets a free bottle of water each day, and there is a purified water cooler where you can help yourelf at will. The entire staff bends over backwards to be helpful and accommodating -- from the guys at the front desk to the housekeeping staff to the security guards. Although I'm fluent in Spanish, I noticed that practically all the Mexican staff are very proficient in English. We are in our 60's and appreciated that the pool has, and enforces, a policy of quiet hours after 10 PM around the pool. The pool area is NOT clothing optional. Go the the Vallarta Cora if you want that. It's hard to beat the location -- 1 1/2 blocks from the Los Muertos pier, a 5 minute walk to the gay beach area, and less than a 5 minute walk to the beginning of "restaurant row" on Basilio Badillo. Although it's just 1/2 block off the main drag of Olas Altas, the hotel is surprisingly quiet. We had an interior room facing the pool on the first floor. On the upper floors there are rooms that face the street and they may be noisier.

This is not a luxury hotel, but we didn't lack anything there. We thought the rates were an extremely good value considering the quality of the staff, breakfast, pool area, wonderfully comfortable beds and location.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gayinoakpark
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2009

I have stayed there 5 previous times with friends traveling with me but was alone this trip. We all have enjoyed our stays because of the friendly/hospitable staff, security, other guests were friendly, close proximity and walking distance to many restaurants, shops, Malecon, beach and clubs. Pool side breakfast in the mornings and pool side happy hour each evening.

If you are considering a gay hotel and want to be within walking distance to most things, this is the place.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
Brookline, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2008

My boyfriend and I just returned from a 2 week stay at the Hotel Mercurio, It was one of the best vacations we have had in our 12+ years together. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The free internet and long distance telephone were a major plus. The breakfasts were incredible and the price was great. It is the most friendly place we have ever stayed. We made many friends while there who we will keep in touch with through email and hopefully see again next year.
The only down side is that the photos on the Mercurio website are definately doctored. The pool area, though great for meeting other guests, could use some TLC. However, we would not stay anywhere else in Puerto Vallarta.
We arrived a day late due to a family funeral, but the staff deleted the charge for the first night from our bill. And after 3 days on the first floor, they offered us a larger room on the second floor at no extra charge, and without our requesting it. It's not the Ritz, but it's definately the best value.

• Liked — Breakfast, internet, telephone, friendliness
  • Disliked — Great place, just need a little TLC
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple