“It lives up to its name!”

Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort
Ranked #21 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Friendly is what it says it is. Other than one exception, the staff were always ready to help and always smiling. The exception was when my bag was missing when I checked in with our group. Not one front desk employee did any more than say they weren't responsible, and were very defensive. Only the bellhops showed concern, but there was nothing they could do. I had to beg for almost two hours for the front desk staff to call the travel agency or call the hotel where other passengers disembarked. After wasting precious hours, a passenger came to the lobby with my bag, which they took in place of theirs, even though it was clearly tagged and ribboned much differently from theirs. They had dropped off MY bag in their room while they went to lunch. I was both relieved and annoyed. The hotel staff had led us into another area to check in, without our bags, which I will not do again.

I still give the hotel a high rating because, despite the luggage incident, everyone made sure we had all we needed and wanted. I could see that some people came time and again and became friends with some of the waiters. It is nice to feel welcomed. I had a quiet room (1406), which is important to me. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were okay, too. Despite being relatively old, the hotel is very clean. The food was abundant and the drinks never watered down like they are at some all-inclusives. The hotel has an infinity pool for adults only, which is a plus. Friendly had a beautiful Thanksgiving dinner for their guests--Canadians, Mexicans, and those of us from the USA. About 48 round tables of 10 were set up on the beach and dinner was at sunset. At that moment, I realized how much I had to be thankful for. After dinner was entertainment, then live music for dancing. It was the first time I have been without family or Thanksgiving, and I am thankful to Friendly for making it a memorable one.

Room Tip: You need to take a bus to get to "town", not a big deal, and cheap. I had fun painting a...
2  Thank lorettam55
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear lorettam55.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope you come back soon. We will be happy to welcome you back the day you choose. See you soon! :)

Write a ReviewReviews (3,289)

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This was my very first time to Puerto Vallarta, not somewhere I had ever planned on visiting. The Friendly came highly recommended by a few different friends who are repeat customers, and I can definitely see why. The staff are undoubtedly the best! I have stayed at other all-inclusives, and by comparison, this hotel was quite small, no frills, and in desperate need of an updates, yet I would return here before I would return to any of those other places.

Our room with two beds was spacious and bright, and we had the best view from the 6th floor in the tower.The beds were hard, but that was quickly remedied with foam mattress toppers. The bathrooms were also spacious, but quite old, and in desperate need of fans. With all that humidity, the bathrooms are like saunas after you a shower, and they take forever to clear up! There are only two electrical outlets in the entire room, and the lighting is quite dim.

The food was somewhat repetitive, but there was always plenty to choose from, and everything was delicious. We never went hungry, that's for sure!

The grounds and pools are kept clean, and the beach is spectacular! The water is clean and warm, and there is only soft sand beneath your feet, no matter how far you walk out. The staff is there to set up your lounge chair and umbrella wherever you want them, and they come by often to see if you need anything to eat or drink.

There are a lot of vendors on the beach, but we loved them. They were friendly and funny and most were respectful when you said no. Both the staff and vendors get to know you by name and it all just adds to the feeling of being with family.

We had an incident in our room, where a staff member left evidence that she had rummaged through my suitcase, but thankfully, nothing was taken. I still felt this was a direct violation of my privacy, and that my suitcase should have been replaced, knowing that it was tampered with. I also felt the staff member should have received disciplinary action for going into a guest's zipped suitcase. On the first day, the Manager assured me both requests would be granted, but on the second day, he went back on his word. All he did was have my luggage swabbed for chemical substances, and provided me a lab report of their findings, should I have encountered problems at the airport. He never even wrote up an 'incident report'.

Although the Manager showed little care or concern that a violation of my privacy had taken place in his hotel, two of his Supervisors, went over and above, to compensate. They offered us an upgrade to a 2bdrm suite, which we declined; they treated us to a complimentary and heavenly Spa massage out at the beach and a special dinner one evening; and one of them always accompanied the housecleaning staff anytime our room was being cleaned. They also Much thanks to Liliana and Mitchel, for their kindness, consideration, and professionalism. Thank you to ALL the staff for making our holiday a most relaxing and memorable experience: we miss you guys!

The hotel is very close to the airport, and very close to downtown - perfect location.

I wish I was still in Puerto Vallarta, and can't wait to return to my Friendly family. I highly recommend it, just make sure you lock up all your valuable belongings!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Anna H
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear CallMeNeen.

Thank you for sharing your experience, was very nice to read, we are very happy to know that you had a great stay after all, our goal is that all our guests enjoy their vacation. We hope to see you soon! :)

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I agree with Cheryl - we had the best 2 week stay ever in Mexico. the staff are amazing - Abraham on the beach bringing us a mattress for our chairs - Double Double, Antonio and Carlos bringing us drinks poolside and on the beach - Mary in the lobby bar is amazing..... the entertainment staff all great - only downside water in the room the first night and after that you need to replenish in the restaurant, but easy walking to get more or bring a sippy cup. There is always something to do and a special thank you to the boys that do finger painting and painting on greenware, they add the special touches and take it away to the kiln and voila - it comes back the next day a work of art! This is the happiest staff I have ever seen at a resort and supervisors and management should be proud of them!
Will for sure stay at this resort again!
Fern
Surrey BC

Room Tip: pillows are lacking
4  Thank FernRosengren

Dear FernRosengren.

Thank you! We love to read reviews like yours. Thank you so much for everything you say here on Tripadvisor, this will be really helpful for other. Come back soon! :)

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We normally travel to the Mexican during Thanksgiving week. This is one of the best all-inclusives that we have found. The beach is nice and smooth, without any rocks. There are plenty of activities available -- deep-sea fishing, wave-runners, and parachute rides for those who are brave. Friendly is an appropriate name for this hotel. It is one of the friendliest staffs we have ever seen. The maids, food servers, entertainment staff and management are eager to please. The theater is roomy and the stage looks professional. The only negative comment that I have is that the dry sauna was not very hot. They also have a steam room. Both are available at no extra charge.

Would I stay there again? ... You bet!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pilgrim45900

Dear Pilgrim45900.

Thank you very much for your review! We feel flattered for everything you say. We would love to see you again, please keep in touch :)

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I just arrived back from my 2 week vacay at the Friendly (Nov. 28/13). The downside - only 2 bottles of water are given to you on your first day only, so bring a sippie cup to fill up water at the bars. Also, no fridge in the room in the event you want to buy some wine or beer to chill to drink in your room and the pillows are rock hard, so you might want to bring your own or buy one from Walmart. This hotel is fantastic and in walking distance to the Liverpool Mall, Casinos and Blake's Sports Bar. I personally want to give a shout out to the entertainment staff for all the activities that they do in the day, as I was kept busy from 11:00 to 4:30 every single day, from Spanish lessons, bracelet making, tile painting, water basketball and volleyball, water aerobics, dance lessons etc. If I travel to Puerto Vallarta again I will stay at the Friendly only because Natalia Miromontes, Uriel Macias, Paulina Barajces, Yaye Monroy, Pamela Becerra, Erica Moreno and Oziel Moreno made me feel that I was part of their family, and always greeted me by name, with a smile and enthusiasm every single day. These guys work their butts off and because of them, I would recommend anyone to stay at this place. A job well done guys and the Friendly should be congratulated in choosing these wonderful people to be part of their staff.

Cheryl Murray, Surrey, BC

Room Tip: All rooms face the pool and the ocean and have a balcony.
2  Thank Cheryl M

Cheryl M.

Thanks for everything you say about our staff, we are pleased that enjoyed your holidays and your family spent a great time!. We would love to see you soon! :)

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Great holiday in Puerto Vallarta! Started with a great flight with Air Transat in a newly refurbished A330,which has a two,four,two seating configuration,so if you are traveling as couple you can finally sit together.The seats are a little wider and they have tablets in the back of the headrest with preloaded movie,network shows,etc. Made for a very quick flight with great service.
This was our first time in Puerto Vallarta airport.Once you get your bags and get through customs keep going until you get outside to look for you for your ride to the hotel.If you stop and talk to the sharks inside the Airport after you get through customs it will be all about time shares,even though they say they represent your hotel or travel agency.
Once we got outside and on our bus things went smoothly.Check in went smoothly,got a room on the first floor,very close to the spa/gym and elevators.
The room had 2twin beds,a safe,27inch tv,couch,table,dresser,large closet and a balcony facing the ocean.The only disappointment was the bathroom,which is a good size with a single sink,large mirror,hair dryer,toilet and tub shower area. The bathroom was in need of a make over,everything was very old and worn,the shower curtain could not keep water from spilling on the floor and the water came out so hard it hurt.The room was clean and kept that way all week.
Because we were on the second floor,it was very noisy until midnight when the shows and dancing in the main lobby ended.If we go back we would ask for a room above the 4th floor in the tower,for the better view and it would be quieter.
There were 3 buffet restaurants which were all good.We went to the gourmet restaurant 3 times and it was great each time.
The beach is nice and if you want to sit close to the ocean Abraham or his assistant will bring your loungers right to the spot you want ,along with a cushion for each lounger,umbrella and table,never had that kind of service at a 5star,and you really had to insist on them taking a tip for the service.
If you are wanting to get a cab talk to the bellmen and they will take care of you and tell you how much to pay.
The service at the friendly was very good and we would go back for that reason as well as the good for food and nice beach.
i would have given a 5 star rating,except for the condition of the bathroom,it also gets very busy on weekends with nationals and it is very noisy until midnight.
We met alot of happy people,tourists and staff.

Room Tip: Get a room in the tower above the fourth floor in the tower, for the view and the noise factor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear square52.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, we really appreciate it. Thank you also for your suggestions and for all the good things you said about your stay, this will help us to be a better hotel. Please feel free to visit us anytime :)

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Too many children on weekends. Rooms require updating. Staff are friendly, food is palatable, same daily however. Family resort. Air conditioning very outdated and unable to cool rooms when hot and humid.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank jan b

Dear jan b.

Thank you so much for your review and for all your suggestions all of them are important for us, we will analize each one of them. We hope that in your next visit everything is better for you. We have done many improvements to our hotel, in the lobby area, restaurants, Internet, restrooms at the beach, rooms etc. We woudl love to welcome you back anytime :)