“Older resort, not a brand name, but still had a great time. :)”

Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort
Ranked #20 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Winnipeg, Canada
“Older resort, not a brand name, but still had a great time. :)”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

As with my past trips I went with a large group. We went the last week of January, first week of February.

First thing to mention is that is is NOT a Barcelo or a RUI so don't expect that level of a resort. That being said, The Friendly would be in my top three favorites.

The rooms are dated, but clean. Some had the usual Mexican musty smell but we have had that in one of the more expensive resorts too. This is what happens with an ocean front resort. Our housekeeper was an older lady who couldn't do any towel art but always had a smile and a wave each time she saw us. Some of our friends did get towel art.

The food wasn't bad. You could always find something. The chefs tried hard to please everyone. At the 24hr station, the chef dared us to ask for something he could not make. He even made an egg salad sandwich one night. We did discover that if you asked nice (and tipped the chef for his trouble), you could get shrimp or chicken fingers for lunch. The waiters always made you feel special. Telling bad jokes and the standard line "Something else?" always made us smile. We even got to meet Double Doubles son, Single Single. Really - that's their names.

The pool was great - a heated one. The infinity pool was nice. No kids and very relaxing. They also had two real hot tubs - with hot water and jets. Perfect after a day of shopping. We spent one day on the beach. Tons of loungers and if you needed a chair, table or an umbrella you only had to ask and they would find you one. A lot of beach vendors but that's part of the experience.

Entertainment staff were the best!!! In all my trips, this was the best group. My favorites were the three P's - Paulina, Pamela and Poncho, (Senior Delicious) But the rest were just as hard working. Gustavo, Edgar, Unel, Karina and Rosy. Once they knew which activities I was interested in they made sure to let me know when it was starting so I didn't miss it. How many other resorts can you go to and make your own bracelet, or learn how to make guacamole and melon flowers?? Plus after a long day in the sun with the guests, they still have the energy to put on a show for the guests. These 8 people made my holiday a happy one and are the reason I would go back to this resort.

The pre-recorded music they played around the pool and in the lobby was awful. Way too mellow. The odd time they would play one or two good songs but then go back to the "relaxing" music. They did have a dance area but nothing to dance too. It was so bad that people didn't socialize in the evenings, they would just go to bed. I know the owners read these comments - Change the music please. People like to dance and have a good time. Also turn it down a bit. Way too loud. At times it was hard to have a conversation without yelling. I noticed at aerobics the poor girl had to yell the instructions and we still couldn't hear her.

All in all this is pretty decent resort for the price. I can see why people return year after year. They make you feel like family.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank I_hate_the_cold
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear I_hate_the_cold:

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us, is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you made good friends with our staff. We also appreciate your suggestions for music, and we have reporting this. Please do not hesitate to ask for some kind of special music on your next visit, we are here to satisfy you and to make your holiday a great experience :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Just got back from 5 nights at Friendly Vallarta. I went with an old friend and we have been going to all-inclusive resorts in Mexico for several years so know what to compare it to in this price range. At first we were not to thrilled about the room or the food but the whole place grew on me as the days passed. Would I go there again? Yes. Here is a summary of the pro's and con's.
The resort: Is indeed on the smaller and older side. The workers are all really really happy and friendly and seem genuinely happy to serve you and happy to work there. Check in was fast and smooth. They are pretty "green" in that do not use a lot of plastic cups, plates or bottles. They went to a lot of trouble to entertain us at the pool during the day with the activity staff who was always doing something like yoga, volleyball, bingo, games, bracelet making, poker, kayak tours and much much more. A few evenings they set up elaborate beach parties with tables on the beach and buffets and entertainment. Tons of waiters to bring drinks or whatever you were to lazy to get up and get yourself.

Our room: Was in one of the side wings that has not been updated. We were on the second floor. The room was a bit musty smelling and very very basic. However it was clean and quite! We peeked in at some of the updated rooms and they appeared also very basic. The best thing about the room is that everyone has a balcony with chairs and a table and when we were in our room which was not much we sat outside with an amazing view of the ocean, pool, beach and even could watch the shows held on the beach from there. If you are a pillow snob like me.. bring your own. We got toppers on beds and they were fine.

The beach: The best thing about this resort compared to some others we have stayed at is they have waiters to bring you food and drinks on the beach. The food is on normal glass plates and we never had to wait long (if at all) for a waiter to come around to check on us and take our order for as much food, water, drinks as our little fat hearts desired! The beach itself was good, the water was a bit foamy and dirty I thought but I think that is just PV. The peddlers are the same at all resorts and again.. that is just how it is in PV.

The food: We always found something that was good. However we found things that were not soo good as well. The fresh fruit was really good and salad bar was good. The club sandwiches served on the beach were great! The breakfast outside on the beach was great with make to order omelets and much more. We didn't like what we ordered at the gourmet restaurant but maybe it was just what we had as others we spoke with said they loved it. They always had some cool food at the pool everyday which was super good. Once a lovely shrimp cocktail the chef's made right in front of you with tons of fresh veggies. Once churros which were delish! And they usually had fresh fish cooked on the beach during the day. They tried super hard to have a ton of verity and choices and lots going on.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank akhunter907
Dear akhunter907:

Thank you very much for visiting us and thank you also for mentioning the positive and negative aspects of our hotel, this will help us to evaluate the improvements to do. We certainly glad to hear that you enjoyed the most of your stay and that you will come back soon, we will be happy to see you again :)
Minneapolis
Reviewed 5 March 2014

First of all , to all you reviewers out there.. this is MEXICO. I have stayed many places and you get what you pay for . We were 100% happy with Friendly! The place was clean, we had plenty to eat and we don't worry about music on the beach or having to walk from one bar to another to get food. Really?
Our room was clean- is it old, yes, but it was clean. Sometimes I think people just look for negatives.. there may have been a stain on the curtain but I certainly don't go looking for one. We had a quick check in and went to eat.. all basic but it was included and I was for sure not going to starve. And for all you picky eaters- yes there are hamburgers, hot dogs and french fries. The bartenders were generous with the liquor and we had quick service when we were on the beach. The pools were nice and the infinity pool was warm.. the hot tubs were also at a perfect temp.
We went to a few shows and they were good .. they have the same few folks performing and they have a ton of routines to know so I give them credit for effort. The mexican fiesta was good and we enjoyed the dancing horse even if I thought the horse was not too happy with the big guy riding him. Smile.
Wi-fi worked great in the lobby so connecting was not a problem. We did not even try in our room.. we wanted to be outside as much as we could. People complained that we had old time keys and not card keys.. really? WHO cares.. you have a lock.
There were plenty of seats on the beach even with folks putting towels down at 7:00 am. There were activities offered and I was happy they did not shove them down our throat because I was there to RELAX. Yes, older crowd so if you want a party I'm happy to tell you to go somewhere else. I like the quiet.
Everyone we spoke to loved this place and the people so I'm in shock with everyone complaining on trip advisor. We never encountered a mean person and to the guy that sat us ever morning for breakfast- I love your "okey dokey."
We had a GREAT four day vacation, it was clean, quiet and had plenty of sun.. and above all, the price was right!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank voltech2
Dear voltech2:

Thank you very much for your visit and especially for your honest review, we are so glad we found comments like yours are truly sincere. This will help many of our future guests. Thanks for highlighting all the positive aspects of your stay, please come back as soon as possible :)
Montreal
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We where there for the 2 last week of february, first of all, yes the staff is friendly nut nothing more. We where in the past in Acapulco, Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Cozumel, Cuba and dominican republic, so we are able to make a fair and equitable comment.

First of all, yes the staff is friendly very friendly, there are incredible. But to made a good hotel you need more of friendly staff.

Let me start whit the room, it's an old hotel, and the room need improvments, there is mold on the room despite the cleanliness, plumbing must be change, they put electrical tape on the plombing pipes and the water temperature of the shower quickly switch from hot to cold at any time of day or night.

Entertainment staff ,the animation team, have not seen the day they do not come to see you on the beach for you make to participate in the activities. Activities are listed in a table when entering the beach and that's it. No music on the beach during the day. If I was the owner of the hotel i will completely change the annimation team or remove them. Those who return year after year are probably people who never travel elsewhere or are just happy with the interest of the staff, they are mostly aged 65 and over.

The food, oh my good the worst buffet I have seen in my life, all night is the same food, no choice, we eat better in cuba ! The rib was chuky eurk

So it was the fisrt time at this hotel and the last one, if i go back to Puerto Vallarta, i will look for an other place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Benito37
Dear Benito37:

Thank you very much for visiting us. We have made many renovations in the last 3 years, we are still making them and even in restaurants, lobby, beach area, rooms, corridors, meeting rooms, beach club for children, Internet, among other things. We offer different dishes daily on the buffet, however always be a challenge to satisfy all our guests, some people love our food and others not at all. Our entertainment team makes every day different activities throughout the hotel, and they depend on each hour, guests are sunbathing do not bother, because many of them are sometimes reading or listening to your own music on headphones. It's true, many retired people visit us and gladly received, like all our young guests. Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your advice :)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2014

After visiting several tropical over the years (Acapulco,Cancun, Los Cabos,
Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen, Cuba, Dominican Republic) I think I can make an objective review of Friendly Vallarta Resort.
This is the WORST all-inclusive hotel I have been in the 13 different resorts I have stayed in. This resort is a “copy-paste” of the older hotel you might find in Acapulco, Mexico. The Friendly was built in the 1970’s and renovations are needed to make it acceptable to live in it.
Keep in mind, that Friendly Vallarta is not part of major hotel chains like RIU, Barcelo, Iberostar, etc. and it explains mainly the reason why this resort is not shut down completely...
The hotel common areas as the pools, restaurants, lounge, snack bar are kept super clean by the staff . The cleaning lady was doing a good job in the room, but finding “mold” stains all over the room curtains and in the shower area is not what I consider a healthy place to sleep. The plumbing system is as bad as it was impossible to take a nice shower when the water temperature was changing from extreme cold or hot within seconds whenever you took it during morning or evenings. Terrible plumbing and ventilation systems in that OLD resort....
The food selection at the buffet was the worst I have seen in all the places I went. Always repetitive food and only a few choice. I have eaten better in Cuba than at the Friendly and usually Cuba is not consider the best place for food. At Friendly Vallarta, you had to ask for everything: bananas, cheese, bacon...Many time those foods were hidden away behind the counter....You don’t ask, you don’t get it....What a poor way to behave with clients. Forget seafood’s dishes, the resort had trouble to offer on a regular basic their own Mexican Dishes. Always ribs, tons of veggies and fruits, canned beans, rice and meat stir fry’s. Nothing elaborate in terms of food presentation except 2 nights a week when the hotel made their beach party supper. A little more choice of dishes, and little more Mexican Dishes. The following days: same routine food selection. Not surprising that a lot of people were eating out.... Have you ever seen an breakfast or evening buffet with no cold cuts or slice cheeses ? Those 2 basic kinds of foods where not even offered....
2 days before departure, we learned that we could have ordered a special food plate (shrimps or something different from the ordinary buffet) by making a request to one of the staff employees working at the dining area. We were never notified about that possibility and I feel it was an unfair dinning practice. You offer the food to everyone or you don’t...
One positive thing: the snack bar was excellent and had a vast choice of food. Club sandwich, tacos, hamburgers, chicken nuggets, fries. That snack bar was the best thing in terms of food in that old resort. The staff was also very friendly and helpful.
The animation team was a BIG ZERO as they never came on the beach where 90% the clients were. They never try to encourage people to participate in their few activities always held near the main pool. The Friendly Resort should get rid of them completely.
Keep in mind that this resort average clientele has an average age of 70 years old. Don’t expect to have a big party fever there. Young people should look to go elsewhere for fun and action because at certain time, I felt I was in a tropical senior home...
In conclusion, look around for a resort if you want better quality room, food selection and animation team because the independent owner of Friendly Vallarta does not need to improve anything as old clients continues to choose this hotel because the staff is friendly. It’s not only the staff that makes a hotel GOOD....People who never travelled
and never seen better keep going to that hotel without knowing better. Believe me, for what we pay we deserve more, MUCH MORE.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank FrenchBoy
Dear FrenchBoy:

Thank you very much for your recent visit, we are glad to know that despite all enjoyed your stay. We have made many renovations in the last 3 years , we are still making them and even in restaurants , lobby , beach area , rooms, corridors , meeting rooms , beach club for children , Internet , among other things. We offer different dishes daily on the buffet , however always be a challenge to satisfy all our guests, some people love our food and others not at all. Our entertainment team makes every day different activities throughout the hotel , and they depend on each hour, guests are sunbathing does not bother them. It is true, many retired people visit us and gladly received during winter, like all our young guests . Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your advice, we really appreciate it and will take the positives from them :)
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Just got back from Friendly Vallarta after a weeks stay. The staff of waiters and bartenders were excellent but they have to be because this hotel is run down and dumpy and needs all the help it can get.
The doors to the patios are falling out of their frames, the tub surround are gross, the sink was half plugged, only one elevator worked, in general the mechanical functions were all in need of severe maintenance. The food was the same for dinner as it was for supper everyday. There were three places to eat but they just moved it around and it was the same crap. I can see why elderly people like this place because its easier to get around but I'm fifty and thought it was a old crowd. We got heck for swimming in the infinity pool and making too many waves. We payed more for this hotel than we have payed for the 4-5 stars up the beach towards nuevo vallarta. Not very good value for your money. Also the activities staff could really give a crap if your there unless you want to do water exercise.Pillows felt like the were stuffed with old socks or rags. Noise from lobby comes up to first three floors till 2 every night. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank w m
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear w m:

Thank you so much to share your experience. We are remodeling our rooms and your comments help us even more. We were changing the elevators (but during those days we had one in service, so there was no problems with this) today we have already the new elevators working perfectly. We offer entertainment and fun for all ages and it is absolutely true that we receive many retirees from Canada, and our priority is to treat everyone with the best care. The lobby music ends 11:00 p.m. a reasonable time for everyone to relax after this time. Always going to be a challenge to satisfy the palates of our guests, but we'll keep trying!. Thanks for all your suggestions, we appreciate this gesture from you will help us be a better place. Please feel free to visit us again, we hope to surprise you with the new changes we are doing for everyone :)
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

So this was our second time at this particular hotel. I'm giving it a three-star although I think it is between two and three star
Let's start with the positive things…
As everyone says very good service. That staff are always friendly.
The infinity pool is very nice.
Two hot tubs a different temperatures which is very nice.
They had a fairly good variety of entertainment including dinners on the beach. The atmosphere was nice but the food sucked.
Now for the negatives...
We are not picky about food but this has to be the smallest and worst buffet we have ever been to. We ended up eating out most of the time.
On several occasions I noticed that they reuse the ice from somebody else's glass and served it to other people. This was not a one time observation but I seen it on several occasions. Always ask for fresh ice.
By the way the elevators are still not finished on the day that we left. They have been up for sometime and they always say next day next day.
I have never been to a hotel that the lobby bar is not open during the day. You have to walk all the way down to the pool bar in order to get a drink during the day.
Our maid was certainly not very friendly even though we tipped her everyday.
The only selection of beer was Crona and dark Modella.
The rooms are okay as the hotel is called but they are dated and could use some refreshing.
There are a large quantities of Mexican people coming into the hotel. Not that that bothers me but I seen them blowing their nose into the linen napkins. Disgusting. I think some of the forks and knives and napkins were being reused.
The first time we stayed at this hotel we did not notice these things because we were never on the resort. This time we were there for two weeks and spent some time on the resort but I will not be back again.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Joy T
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Joy T:

Thank you very much for choosing Friendly Vallarta to enjoy your holiday. Was definitely surprising to read some aspects of your experience, especially about the ice and napkins, we reported this, we do not doubt your word but we are sure that this is impossible, is not a practice of our hotel and we will be honest with you, this is the first time that someone reported this. However if this happened will not happen again, we guarantee it. Our hotel is different in many ways and we know that, we are remodeling our rooms and also we were changing the elevators (but during those days we had one in service, so there was no problems with this) today we have already the new elevators working perfectly. This is for the sole purpose of our guests are happy and enjoy their stay even more. We regret not having met your expectations, however we welcome your suggestions, help us to be a better hotel. We thank you for highlighting the positive points of your stay, that speaks highly of the quality of person you are. We hope to see you again for you to realize how much we value your opinion :)