“The name says it all!”

Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort
Ranked #20 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We just returned from our first visit to Puerto Vallarta and thoroughly enjoyed our stay! The food is good (especially at the Gourmet Restaurant) and great next door at La Leche. The resort is very clean and comfortable and the drinks are fabulous! What really makes this resort special is the staff. What a great bunch to hang out with! We loved the adult-only pool, watching the dolphins and whales from our balcony, the consistently amazing weather and the fact that you felt perfectly safe both in and outside of the resort. No wonder people return here year after year! Oh, and don't miss the Rhythms of the Night tour to Las Caletas!

Room Tip: Smokers, ask for a balcony with the cement railing around it. The regular balconies are a little sma...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Heather L:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, and for choosing our hotel to enjoyed your holiday, we feel flattered with all you wrote about us and is very nice to know how much you love to be here in our hotel. We are working every day to have a better place for all our guests!. See you soon! :)

Write a ReviewReviews (3,353)

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This is the third time we have stayed at the resort. Sure the resort is somewhat dated, but totally acceptable. The poolside treats are a real nice touch! The elevators were down for our entire stay. As many people have mentioned the beds are hard and the pillows are lumpy. We asked for a foam pad which helped a bit. The staff are absolutely unbelievable. We have travelled a lot and have never witnessed such a dedicated group of employees. They just simply can't do enough for you. Hats off to all of you!
Our biggest issue is the smoking. In North America over 80% of the population are NON Smokers. What I don't understand is how this resort can cater to less than 20% of their guests and offend 80%. Every smoker that visits from North America has very restricted areas that they can smoke at home. It seems when they get down there all their consideration for others goes out the window. They smoke in the lobby because they can. I sit in my room because I am forced too. For management to say it "is already under control" by setting aside a couple hundred square feet of a non smoking area does not go near far enough. The entire lobby and pool area needs to be non smoking. Nothing less will be acceptable to the majority of your non smoking guests. It will be as simple as putting up more signs and the problem will be resolved. The smokers will find an area to smoke that doesn't offend the high majority of the guests. Just like they have to do at home. To have 2 out of 10 floors as non smoking continues with this absurd thought process.

Room Tip: We love to be above the 4th floor in the main tower for a beautiful ocean view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank G A

Dear G A:

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. The elevators are already running since 15 days ago, problem solved. We regret any inconvenience with the smokers, we allow them to smoke in the lobby area of pools because are open areas and the smoke is not stuck in the area. However we will report this to ensure that all our guests are happy during their stay. Come back soon :)

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Recently had a week's vacation here and found it good value for money. Staff were excellent and of course very 'friendly'. Rooms were good, spotless and spacious and most had decent/great views of the ocean, especially the ones in the main tower. Pools were more than good with the 'Infinity' pool a great favourite with all. No complaints about the food other than it would have been nice to have a bit more of a variety. All the restaurants (except the one a la Carte) served the same meals everyday. Entertainment was good if a bit sparse but the saving grace all round was the real interest all the staff had in making everyone feel welcome. Not 4 star but a very good 3 star.

Room Tip: For a great view, get a room in the main tower, 5th floor or higher.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 107Ancroft

Dear 107Ancroft:

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, we are pleased that you enjoyed your holiday and to know that everything was good during your stay, thank you also for all your suggestion we have noted. We hope to see you soon! :)

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I gave this a 5 rating because of the totality of the experience. If you want opulence, grandiose, marble staircase with crystal chandeliers, then it's not a 5 star.

But if you're looking for attentive service with a smile from EVERYONE, enough quality food and selection for your indulgence, daily activities, location, then it is a five star in my books.
I've been to mega resorts. Not my type. Small, quaint, and attention to detail, that's what I enjoy.

It's my second time. Improvement from two years ago include, Wifi in rooms (albeit intermittently), all new doors and locks, new pillow top mattresses, and the beautiful theatre. My family and I truly enjoyed our stay and will be back again. Our friends are also most impressed. She is travel agent and told us that this trip made her rethink about her perception of smaller resorts.

Gracias...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RayT1266

Dear RayT1266:

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, we are glad to know that everything was perfect during your stay. It is true that we are a small hotel compared to the huge hotels, but we are huge in terms of our service, we do our best all the time, and this is reflected in your experience, we are flattered with your friends opinion!. Come back soon :)

Reviewed 26 March 2014

1. I was pleasantly suprised by our room- very clean and all that was needed.

2. Too many vendors on the beach- was harrassed every 4 minutes asking if i wanted to buy something! No!

3. The ocean water had a filmy substance floating on it and boats were almost always parked in front of our beach- bad smell of gasoline!

4. Be very careful not to buy any excursions from anyone else but your travel agent or else it might cost you your life! They wear white shirts claiming to work for the hotel but this is not the case! We bought one and it almost got us killed as they dumped us near las Archos and the boat left us there for 45 minutes and 25 of us nearly drowned due to the huge currents in the water. never counted how many people got back on or off the boat!

5. Never leave any of your personal objects unattended or they will be stolen. example your cellphone next to you while you snooze on your beach chair on the beach.

6. I got bad tourista! stomach pains and running to bathroom frequently! this is the first time that this has happened to me in Mexico on a resort.

7. The elevator is so slow! takes forever to get from your room to the lobby!!!

8. .Despite all, i had a good time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Restoyum

Dear Restoyum:

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us, it is useful for us to know the things that were not quite right. We can ensure that we have staff 100% reliable. We regret what happened with the food, this is not usual in our guests. Recently we acquired 2 new elevators that are already running right now. We hope that on your next visit you can enjoy even more of our hotel, and we are glad to know that after all you could enjoy your holiday with us :)

Reviewed 22 March 2014

After 12 yrs of various destinations we returned to Puerto Vallarta. I have broken down my review into the good, bad and ugly. The GOOD: Food was decent, nothing spectacular, but you can find something to eat all the time. The daily poolside treats, donuts, churros, and cool cloths to wipe down with were also a nice touch. The a la carte restaurants were hit and miss, stick to buffet or beach restaurant. Buffets on the beach were also good with meats cooked over wood flame. The beach was nice and it was very enjoyable walk to the pier to look at the cruise ships up close, but waves were pretty rough most days for swimming. The rooms were old and outdated but very clean, same with the hallways. The locations of the restaurants and bars is very convenient. THE BAD: The pillows and beds feel like concrete and there are very few king beds. We had them push the 2 twin beds together and add a mattress topper, that fixed the mattress, a short walk across the street to Soriannas and $14 bought 2 new comfy pillows. we also bought a coffee maker for $16 which we gave to the maid. The phones in the room are terrible, they are the cheapest Radio Shack phones available. Now this might not seem like a big deal until your friend goes into a diabetic coma at 4am and you are trying to reach the doctor. The broken elevators didn't help this situation either. THE UGLY: Nothing was really ugly at this resort except the poolside music. Playing the same terrible MUZAK version of classic rock songs 3 times a day was like torture. And please no reason to crank the volume to max all the time, it was so distorted it made your eyes water. NOW THE GREAT: THE PEOPLE, THE PEOPLE, THE PEOPLE. The staff here are amazing, double/double and single/single who make you feel like family. Raul the restaurant captain, Maria who runs bringing you drinks and always had a smile, the entertainment staff (senor Delicious, Poncho) and all the girls who kept us active all day. And lastly the pools...The heated pools were incredible, so relaxing and comfortable. This is not a five star resort, unless you judge it on the people alone, but it is a great place to relax for a decent price.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank steveinthepeg
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear steveinthepeg:

Thank you very much for objectively express your opinion. It is important to mention that we are doing a lot of renovations to the rooms, and we hope your next visit you can see the changes. Regarding the music, please feel free to ask for changes to our dj, he is here to liven up the day for you!. Thanks for mentioning the positive aspects of your stay, we are proud to know that you enjoyed your stay, come back soon :)

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I spent a week at the Friendly Vallarta the last week in February. I loved the place and, as usual, am perplexed by some of the previous reviews. It's not a 5 star resort so if that's what you're expecting, you will be disappointed. I was on the 12th floor and the view was spectacular and at night you weren't usually bothered by noise from any of the clubs nearby. The room had a great balcony where I spent the evenings reading my book and watching the sun go down. The resort is older and the rooms are starting to show there age but the room I had was huge with a king size bed, a sofa and table and huge furniture. The tvs could use to be upgraded but since I hardly ever turn my on, it isn't a big deal. The morning after I arrived was the Olympic Men's Hockey final and they had the game on in the lobby on the big tvs which was great for the Canadians willing to get up that early The bed was hard (I've never been to an all inclusive where the bed wasn't hard). The most important thing to me was that the rooms, while dated, were clean. I had an issue with the toilet one day and they sent someone up within the hour.

The food was standard resort fare but there was never any issue finding something to eat. They had omellette bars at breakfast, sandwich bars at lunch and lots of different options for dinner. On Saturday nights they have a beach fiesta and the food was great. The restaurant down by the beach was great. They served hamburgers, hot dogs, guacamole, club sandwiches and other quick meals and both times I was there it was great. I didn't try the a la carte as I don't feel the need to get dressed up while on vacation

The best thing about the resort is the staff who go out of their way to be friendly and accomodating. There were daily activities at the pool and nightly shows and they all worked very hard.

During the first 6 days of my stay there was only one small elevator working but they always had a staff member running it up and down. The day before I left they had one of the 2 new elevators running and were testing the second one. There were some slight delays with the elevator but nothing major. There were lots of loungers at the beach and by the pool. If you didn't need to be on the beach, there was never getting one by the pool in the morning.

One thing I did notice is that, during the week, there were very few children at the resort and there is an adults only pool. On the weekends there were definitely more kids but I just put my earphones in and listen to music.

I noticed in earlier posts about the smoking situation in the lobby and I would just like to say that as a former smoker, I'm not sure what the uproar is about. The lobby is open air and about 5 stories tall. I never found that it bothered me at all and after 7 years quit, if it does bother me I just move. There were lots of alternative places to go.

The location is great. If you walk out to the road, you can catch a bus down to the malecon for 7.5 pesos. If you cross the road, you can catch the bus to Walmart and the Marina

All in all, if the price was right I would go back to the Friendly Vallarta if only for the balcony.

Room Tip: The higher the room in the tower, the better if you want to avoid the noise from the pool. Also, th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Logan780
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Dear Logan780:

Thank you very much for your comments, it has been a pleasure to read all of them. We thank you for your suggestions, we are already doing renovations in all our rooms and we hope that on your next visit you can see all those changes. Regarding the smokers, as we have mentioned in previous reviews, we designate an exclusive area for them and this situation is already under control. Thank you very much for highlighting the positive points of your stay, we hope to see you soon!!!! :)