“The name says it all”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“The name says it all”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My wife and I have just enjoyed our 5th vacation at this resort. We truly believe that this hotel offers what can only be described as "the friendliest and best hotel' in the area of Puerto Vallarta. I say this as I have been vacationing in PV since 1991 and have stayed at various establishments in the Hotel Zone. The staff is great, the food is excellent, rooms are clean and management will do their best to accomodate your requests. A number of new palm trees have been planted in the beach area which will provide more shade during the warmest periods of the day. It seems that there are improvements being made continually at this facility. I will be returning to this hotel again in December.

Room Tip: any room above the 7th floor (I stand to be corrected), will offer a good view of the bay and the d...
4 Thank kesrockman
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear kesrockman:

Was really nice to read everything you've described in your experience, no doubt this will be very helpful for our future guests. We miss you so much and we can't wait to see you in December, good to know you enjoyed your stay! Please keep in touch :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I, whose review is just below, went to this resort for the first time after reading the reviews here and as it was our first trip to Mexico we had nothing to compare it to, but we weren't disappointed. Even though it is only 10mins from the airport, we didn't hear a single aircraft for the duration of the 2 weeks we were there, and only saw a couple of them take off when we walked down the beach to the port.

She has covered all the points I would have written about, so I won't repeat it. One thing I would like to add though, is the wonderful activity run by a local artist, where you can paint all kinds of things and he will take it away, touch it up a little (if you request), glaze it and then return it the next day. The prices range from $7-$25 or equivalent in pesos (we agreed 10 pesos to the dollar - makes life easier for everyone), it is very relaxing and quite addictive - I painted on numerous days and it kept me out of mischief, as well as the sun for a while.

My wife and I used to live in the UK, and have been on numerous all-inclusive holidays to various places and we traveled to Egypt numerous times, which is a similar flight time from the UK to what Mexico is from Calgary. We both agreed, that is likely to become our new "Egypt" where we just want to get away and relax by the pool and/or beach

It is a wonderful place, and we have many friends who have traveled to Puerto Vallarta and tell us about the other hotels in the area, but I am old skool, and live by the motto -

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it

We will definatley be back when we're in need of a another chill out holiday.

2 Thank Chris_Skelton
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta All Inclusive Family Resort, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Chris_Skelton:

Thank you very much for your review! We feel flattered for everything you say, makes us feel very happy. We would love to see you again, please keep in touch :)
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at many hotels in Puerto vallarta and the service was marvelous. Everyone went out of there way to please you!!! I cried when it was time to leave.Here are only a few names of workers that went out of there way to please me.The 2 young men cleaning the beach restrooms, Noe. Victor. Superior Manwell. Restaurant Nabor.Ignacio.Miguel.Lucy omelet chef.Vincent. Monica.Carlos.Kalusha was a hot mess!!! He was very funny!!!! Hugo.Paco.Thats all the names I could remeber, Everyone did a great job!!!!The only thing your missing is coconut ice cream and Captain Morgan's spiced rum.The beach party was outstanding!!!! Live music was a plus!!!!!!! Also thumbs up to the chef that made me coconut shrimp!! Also banana pancakes.I loved getting a drink at checkin. Also the fresh cold towels on the beach.Also the heated swimming pools and the adult only pool and hot tubs were great.It also would be nice to have fresh fruit like bananas and strawberries,would be a plus for my adult beverage on the beach. I will be back and I will tell my friends how wonderful the friendly resort is in Puerto Vallarta Mexico!!!!Waiter service at the beach and pool was outstanding!!!!! Viva Mexico! !!!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear pam98:

Thank you very much for your honest opinion, this will be very helpful for our future guests. We hope to see you very soon to continue treating you like you deserve :)
Reviewed 14 April 2014

IT was very nice and absolutely friendly. the beach area is a little rough and the ocean isnt as calm as some spots but it was fantastic. locals helping were great food was amazing. lots of children which is ok, pool for adults which is nicer. food was fantastic. night life was fun. entertaining. rooms were great. was proposed on the beach which made the trip so much more to me.

Room Tip: ask for a fridge. we did and we got one. very nice resort will stay again. met a whack load of peopl...
Dear 11ladygodiva:

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, we are pleased to know how much you enjoyed your stay, usually the sea is always calm, we have a very quiet beach area and that is something of which we can boast. Our goal is that all our guests enjoy their vacation. We hope to see you soon! :)
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We spent 2 weeks here arriving home today. I had reasonable expectations for the hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews and also a recommendation from a friend who stays regularly. I was not at all disappointed in fact my expectations were more than exceeded. Here are my highlights:-

Room - good size, 2 double beds which were fine, furniture was in a good state of repair, air con worked very well. Bathroom good size. We had a sofa and chair as well as small coffee table, 2 chairs and table on the balcony. Plenty of hot water.
The shower was not great initially but we let reception know and they had the head changed, which did the trick; to the extent that we had a couple of near misses on the flood front.
We did not have a fridge (which we knew) but our rep said that we could ask for one and they were available on a first come first served basis. We asked and a mini fridge was there the same day.
The mattresses were hard, so after a few days we asked for toppers and got them the same day, even though we had already had the beds made that day. I also took a pillow with me since I have neck issues, the room pillows were fine for my husband, appeared new and squishy, though I was grateful for my own (which I just remembered we left behind).

Food - the main buffet restaurant is Villa Linda, we are here most of the time. The food was more than good, fresh eggs for breakfast any which way, fruit, juices, Mexican items and other stuff such as potatoes and bacon. Lunch we only had at the beach bar so can't comment on the buffet lunch service. The beach bar offers a selection of sandwiches, burgers, nachos and the like. We tried most but favoured the tuna sandwich. You could sit in the shade of the bar or on the beach and the wait staff would bring it to you.
Most days of the week there was also food being prepared on the beach or by the pool during the day; we had Mahi Mahi on the BBQ twice over the 2 weeks, ribs, tacos and a whole red snapper. By the pool they made donuts one day, I didn't see the rest.
Dinner was mostly taken in the buffet as our choice, there was always a roast of some kind, pasta one night, prepared to order Caesar Salad, lots of veggies of all kinds. One night we ate at the Sunset Grill where we chose our own appetizers and deserts and had a plated meal brought to us for the main. I had smoked pork, my husband had chicken both of which were good.
We also enjoyed Mexican night one night with a buffet style menu of Mexican choices which were great. There was also a show on the main stage which was fun.
Twice we were lucky to also enjoy a Tropical Fiesta on the beach; it took all day for everything to be prepared, there was a whole leg of beef BBQ'd, a continental cheese platter,pasta, bbq'd meats as well of many other things I don't recall. There was a Latin dancing style show with a live band and dancing afterwards.
There was a gourmet restaurant which you booked in advance, we did not try this so can't comment. There is a coffee corner where you can get your fix day and night, and also ice cream on tap with pastries during the day.

The beach and pools - there were plenty of places to perch on the beach by the main pool in the shade in full sun, basically whatever you wanted. We chose a shady spot at the back of the beach under some fixed grass umbrellas. Apart from the middle weekend when it was very busy we were moreorless able to sit where we wanted. We had mattresses and umbrellas if needed, mostly served by the famous Abraham.
There is a main pool used for activities and kids. Also an infinity pool for adults only, we used this mostly. For the first 10 days it was warmed/heated so it felt like getting into a warm bath. The last few days we noticed it was getting cooler but that may have been deliberate since the weather was getting warmer. We also had drinks service here.
There are 2 Jacuzzis, we went in once so can't really comment, they seemed popular.

Drinks service - was outstanding, on the beach, in the pool and mostly in the lobby. There were 3/4 waiters on duty during the day serving on the beach and or around the pool. They were amazing, often coming back and forth before you had chance to drink the last! for the first week we had a couple who remembered what we drank and we got to know them quite well....Braulio, Kalusha, Vincent Antonio & Eduardo to name a few. We did find the last few nights the bar staff in the only evening bar (Margaritas in the lobby) were overwhelmed so the service was slow. Also this was the only place for a drink at night unless you took up a table in the restaurant. a couple of times we just took a drink back to our room. My only suggestion would be that they offer another bar option at night when it is busy that would help - especially on Karaoke night in the lobby when not everyone wants to listen to the "singing"

Activities - for the first time ever my husband joined in quite a few things including bracelet making & cooking. We had almost a private walking tour with Alfonso to Pitillal a small town a bus ride away from the hotel. We had the chance to walk around a working town see the church, the shops, tortilla making, cooking pork down. This was just one of many out of hotel activities, they also did a walking tour to the Farmers Market and the Naval Museum. There was kayaking, water exercise, kids stuff even bingo, all of which you can join but there is no pressure to join. Every evening there was something from the big show nights like the Fiesta, Mexican Show to lower key stuff. We did not partake in all of these but enjoyed those we did.

Staff - they make the place. I've been to many AI places and seen staff working, but here for a relatively small hotel there were staff for everything everywhere. Cleanliness was all, so much so that we saw staff power washing and scrubbing the pool side for a couple of hours at least 2/3 times while we were there. There was constant cleaning of the washrooms even on the beach, youngsters always brushing the sand off the paths during the day. The staff we interacted with the most were fantastic, they are proud of where they work, they laugh and joke, know what you like and nothing is too much trouble. One day I went to ask the Concierge something and discovered later he was the General Manager! Everyone feels like a big happy family and they welcome you home!

Renovations - people have complained that the place needs a clean up. We stayed in a room that if it was not renovated was pretty good, better than some places I have stayed in. The elevators are now working well. All the time we were there we saw them doing things; 15 new trees planted on the beach last week, new signage, power to the Spa Area on the beach etc. There was evidence of new management which was showing progress to some areas, I just hope they don`t change things too much and spoil the good thing they have going on.

Well I could go on, this was a brilliant experience, yes there were smokers but not to the extent they bothered us, everywhere was open and airy. We hope to go back as we loved the resort and the town, as well as the exterior activity choices.

Room Tip: we were in the tower 6 floor which is non smoking, some noise from the bar but the rooms were well i...
4 Thank jacquirs
Dear jacquirs:

Thanks for sharing your experience, we are very happy with your review, thank you to be honest. As we just mention in other reviews we have great news! We inform you that we are renovating rooms, hallways, lamps, and we have new elevators, new furniture in restaurants, plasma tv in all rooms, new bedding, among other things. We hope to see you soon, so you can enjoy these changes :)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I have been twice to Hotel Friendly I find the staff are the most friendliest you will find nothing is too much trouble.

The rooms are very clean and comfortable and spacious we were on the spa floor with sea view.

The food was very good we went to silver service restaurant and also to the buffets. The breakfast is very good and lunch on the beach is great.

Entertainment good different every day and they have a BBQ once a week.

I would recommend this hotel we would definitely go back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Elaine R
Dear Elaine R:

Thanks for everything you say about us, for us our greatest reward is knowing that our guests enjoy their stay. We will be waiting for you soon, hugs!! :)
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We had a group of seven travelers from ages 12-81. Staff is friendly and the rooms are very clean. The food was limited but fine.

We were disappointed that some of the amenities were not available for the kids (ages 12-15). Boogie boards and kayaks were all broken and unavailable for use. No kids in the hot tub or infinity pool. Gourmet restaurant does not allow guests under age 18.

Final thoughts, great economical choice for adults, but if you are looking for extras for the kids that help make a family vacation great, you may want to look into other resort options.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Donegal1968
Dear Donegal1968:

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion here on TripAdvisor. We just purchased new boogies and kayaks, our pool for adults is exclusively for adults, is calm and away from noise, however we have a larger pool where children can play and have fun. Our Gourmet restaurant is exclusively for over 18 years, and we handle a different concept, but we have more restaurants where children can enjoy their vacation. We inform you that we are renovating rooms, hallways, lamps, and we have new elevators, new furniture in restaurants, plasma tv in all rooms, new bedding, among other things. We hope to see you soon, so you can enjoy these changes :) you will always be welcome at Friendly Vallarta :)