“Puerto Vallarta Velas Style”
Review of Velas Vallarta

Velas Vallarta
Ranked #5 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Angelo, Texas
“Puerto Vallarta Velas Style”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Wonderful resort with great restaurants and well stocked bars. First time to travel to PV. Our room was excellent. We had massages at the spa which were magnificent. The staff and service were impeccable all over the resort. We did not use the pools, we are beach people. Great people watching. I'm kind of an Iberostar brat as well as a Caribbean brat so I wished that water would have been prettier at the resort and wished their had been an inviting lobby bar and the live entertainment left much to be desired. We did enjoy the nightly mariachis. I would have liked there to have been more than 2 restaurants but I suppose it is adequate for the size of the resort. We did take a taxi to town and visited Our Lady of the Guadalupe Cathedral which is breathtaking and we walked along the Malecon shopping and tasting tequila. I would suggest taking a water taxi to Las Animas beach - the water is magnificent and the beach is lined up with beach bars and restaurants. A very popular destination. We had our best meal during our trip at one of those restaurants. We were speaking Spanglish and dealing in pesos which is a bit different from our typical tropical excursions. The resort if family friendly for sure....kids kids and more kids which is great except we didn't have ours on this trip so you know how that goes! Thank goodness the planes don't land at night with the close proximity to the airport...between that and the peacocks sleeping would be hard. All in all...it was a great trip...our beds were great and the AC ginned perfectly which are 2 of the most important things when traveling to the tropics!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 2707 - our balcony was a straight view out of the resort to the bay...picturesque!
1 Thank cozchicaluvscoz
ManagerVVPV, General Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
I am very pleased to note the adventurousness that you displayed on just your first trip to Puerto Vallarta. The places that you visited are certainly worthwhile just as you described and I congratulate you for “jumping in with both feet” and exploring the natural sights of the region, its people and culture. It also pleases me greatly that you consider Velas Vallarta to be a “wonderful resort” and that our suites were to your great satisfaction in terms of comfortable beds and efficient air conditioning. Now that you are a “veteran” of Velas Vallarta and Puerto Vallarta your next trip will be all the more interesting and fulfilling. Thank you for your comments and from all of the 560 Velas staff I send you kind greetings to San Angelo, Texas. Take care.

langaritavv@velasresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (885)
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was my 1st time in Puerto Vallarta and Velas Vallarta helped make our vacation fantastic! I traveled with my husband and daughter. The staff is very nice and attentive, and the two restaurants have great food. Unfortunately, we were unaware that our trip (in July) was during the rainy season. All the rain and the river near Velas make the water at the beach a dark blue/brown color, but it is still okay to swim in. The hotel has iguanas, peacocks, and fish on the property. But at night, my family woke up many times in the middle of the night (and we were on the 7th floor) because the peacocks are always squawking loudly. Also, on our first night at Velas, our 8th floor room's air conditioner was not working, so we were moved to a different room on the 7th floor. In our new room, my daughter wanted to take a shower and go to bed because it was so late (almost midnight). When she was getting into the shower, the shower rod fell on her head when she moved the curtain. So we had to call maintenance to fix that. After two guys came to fix it, she was finally able to take a shower. Besides those incedents, we loved this hotel. There is always something to do, with activities during the day, and shows in the evening. And on Sundays there is a Mexican fiesta with a huge buffet stretching down a hallway and an amazing show. In addition, there are plenty of timeshare presentations that you may want to avoid- BUT if you want DISCOUNTS on activities (Vallarta Adventures tours, etc.) and a free bottle of tequila, then I suggest you suffer through the presentations (and don't ask questions; they will be quicker). Another nice thing about the hotel is that there are ALWAYS taxis outside to take you to downtown, the marina, etc. And there are free bus tours around the area (ask people in the lobby). The maid service at the hotel is twice a day (at night they leave chocolate!) and they do a great job. Overall, my stay at Velas Vallarta was FANTASTIC and I would definitely stay at this hotel again. There is one more thing I should add- I always hated when I saw people eat at restaurants, and leave without tipping. I find that EXTREMELY RUDE.
**EVEN IF YOU HAVE ALL INCLUSIVE, and you know the TIPS ARE INCLUDED, PLEASE STILL TIP THE STAFF. Waiters, maids, and anyone who helps make your stay better. WE DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH THEY EARN, and TIPS CAN GO A LONG WAY!**

1 Thank Caitlin O
donald w, General Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Thank you very much Caitlin for your glowing recommendation of Velas Vallarta. To be considered as a “fantastic” resort and firmly state that you would definitely return speaks volumes for the overall experience, especially considering the unfortunate details of your first evening with us. We always strive to have every aspect of our guest´s stay up to very high standards, but I am proud of how my staff reacted promptly and efficiently to the problems in order that you could continue on with your vacation with the minimum of delay. And for those events you have my sincerest apologies and my also appreciation for your patience and understanding. Thank you also Caitlin for mentioning that we do have two bus tours included for our guests and as you referred to one can sign up with the travel desk in the lobby in order to enjoy them. As for our Vacation Club presentation there are of course incentives for your time, but I would really recommend attending only if there is a certain interest or curiosity over the program, but yes, everyone receives some gifts. Caitlin, it pleases us immensely that you selected us for your first visit to Puerto Vallarta and I hope that we were able to be great ambassadors to this marvelous tourist destination and on behalf of the 570 Velas employees we welcome you and your family back in order to enjoy the pleasures that you experienced on this first visit. Thank you again Caitlin and have an excellent summer. Take care.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just got back last night from a week-long stay at Velas. What a gorgeous hotel - the grounds are just beautiful; lush, tropical, and koi ponds with fish and turtles throughout. There are three pools; one kiddie pool, and two other pools for older kids/adults. One pool has a swim-up bar, and the other has a waterfall. They are connected by a "lazy river" with a very small tile slide. My kids were in heaven both with the pools, and also with the "critters" that roam the property. There are at least a dozen (huge) iguanas that live on the property. My kids were hand-feeding them fruit, and they will let you pet them as well. They will sometimes even swim in the pool. There are also several peacocks on the property. Just beautiful!

The staff is wonderful and so pleasant. Cindy at the front desk upgraded us to a 3-bedroom suite from a 2-bedroom suite, and we didn't even ask for this! My oldest son was especially happy as he had his own room. Cindy filled us in on the activities, and was able to answer any questions we had. The room was very clean and comfortably decorated. The bathrooms were quite updated, but the kitchen not so much (we didn't really care, as we ate at the restaurants for every meal). Every room at the Velas has a pool and ocean view, which is great. We were also on the top floor (8th) which is a nice plus, as some of the lower level rooms can have the unwelcome addition of a peacock landing on your balcony. Sounds nice, but they are INCREDIBLY noisy!!!

Juan, Adrian, Herberto, and basically every person we had in the restaurants were just so incredibly attentive. We had Juan for every breakfast at Andrea, and he went out of his way to take care of us. Adrian and Herberto were our servers for dinner at Andrea one night, and they were able to put a smile on our oldest son's face (not an easy task some days).

I would give Velas 4.5 stars (can't give 1/2 star for some reason on TripAdvisor), and there are a few reasons why I can't give 5. First, their Wi-fi policy is to only have one device on Wi-fi at one time. This was tough on my husband, son, and myself. Secondly, I am a very early riser, and a big coffee drinker. They have 24 hour room service, but coffee is not served until 7:00 am. Then, it takes 20 minutes for them to bring a pot. My suggestion is for Velas to have coffee offered all day/night and be able to serve yourself. They could easily set up a coffee station in the hotel lobby. I would not have minded leaving my room to get coffee.

Third, I knew the food was not going to be 5-star, and that is okay because everything else made up for it. The food was not horrible, but it does get monotonous after a while. I understand you can only change things up so much when serving buffet style. I do wish that Andrea, the fancier restaurant, would offer a menu with not only entree options at dinnertime, but also different options for appetizer, salad, and dessert. They do offer this at lunch time, but we only found this out our last day, as most days we just ordered lunch poolside.

All in all, terrific stay here, and we all had a blast. I would stay here again, and I would recommend this resort to others.

Room Tip: Higher floors are best as the peacocks can and will land on your balcony and they are INCREDIBLY noi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ManagerVVPV, General Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences on your “awesome” July vacation with us. It is very good that you and your boyfriend were able to adapt to some of the rainy season conditions and not let it affect too much of your vacation time. Even to relax on your terrace watching the storms over the ocean while ordering room service can make for a delight in itself. And as you mentioned that you upgraded your suite, you were able to enjoy even more of the benefits and comforts of relaxing in a larger unit. I am very pleased that you found our cuisine to be “delicious” and the variety of menus that we offer each night of the week to your great liking. Although our aqua bar closes at 7pm, the lobby bar is open until midnight each night and it is not necessary to have to go to a restaurant for a piña colada as wait service in the lobby is included all day and evening. I hope that you find the opportunity to return sometime during the winter as the weather is quite different, but you will always enjoy the same consistency to our service and product. Thank you again for your insightful observations and from all of us at Velas Vallarta we wish you an excellent autumn in Palo Alto, California. Take care.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at Velas Vallarta in July on our anniversary. The resort is beautiful and the food is outstanding! The grounds are maintained meticulously, with beautiful peacocks, fish swimming in ponds, iguanas, etc. around. All of the wait staff on the grounds, at the pool, the beach and in the restaurants are more than happy to be of service and are always pleasant. We had a 1 bedroom condo. Very spacious, 2 flat screen TVs, balcony viewing the beach (couldn't see the pool because of the palm trees), dual temperature controls. The city of Puerto Vallarta has a lot of culture and history. We did the tequila factory tour and the Rhythm of the Nights Excursion to a private island lit by 4,000 candles, which was simply awesome. My only 2 cautions are the beach and the timeshare presentation. While the beach is nice with nice canopies, the sand is brown. We were expecting white sand beaches, so this was important. Also, the water is a murky green, not clear blue like we are accustomed to seeing. In addition, about 3pm each day a brownish color water comes to the resort from the right, which travels quickly. While we were told that the water is safe, it isn't inviting. So, if you love the beach like we do, you should be aware of this. You should also be aware of the constant nagging by the beach vendors, regardless if you ignore them or are friendly. My husband and I counted on one particular day that a woman selling bracelets asked us 5 times between 11am-3pm if we wanted to buy her goods. Crazy, huh? But you can expect to be solicited about 20 times in a 4 hour period. Also avoid the timeshare pitch if you can. We went to help out the concierge who invited us because she was so nice. We told them up front that we would not be purchasing, so they gave us the short version, or so they said. Including the time for breakfast, we were still there for 4 hours. Not only did the salesperson try to sell, but, as usual, then came her supervisor. After we told them both no, they sent us down stairs to the quality control person, who also tried to sell. Then we were taken to the left side to collect our gift (beach massages) and had to endure another heavy sales pitch.

2 Thank KimberlyP28970
ManagerVVPV, General Manager at Velas Vallarta, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Thank you Kimberly for your kind comments and insights on your July vacation with us. And thank you also for travelling all the way from DC to explore and tour Puerto Vallarta. It pleases us immensely that our infrastructure, roomy suites, wait staff and even the hotel fauna and wildlife were to your great enjoyment. Those items are really the cornerstone to a successful resort and a happy guest. As you pointed out Kimberly, July is a rainy season month and what you were noticing in the ocean is really the sand and silt that runs from the rivers after a heavy rainfall or storm. Swimming is fine just as you said and in being inside a bay the tides and currents are very light which is very conducive to safe water activities. We are as we speak conversing with the beach venders that venture along the beaches in order that they do not act too obtrusive toward the tourist. I agree that with one polite “no gracias” you should be able to relax more comfortably. And in terms of our Vacation Club promotion I do apologize for the amount of time that you spent in order to obtain the beach massages. Normally when there is no interest on the part of the perspective client the process is rushed along avoiding any additional vacation delays. But be assured Kimberly that we are streamlining the presentation and making it more interesting and rewarding for everybody. Overall I am very pleased that the resort and the culture of Puerto Vallarta was enjoyable for you and I hope that the whole experience along with the massages and excursion were perfect to celebrate your anniversary with us. Thank you again Kimberly and we wish you and your husband all the best for many anniversaries to come. Congratulations and fond greetings to everyone in DC. Take care.

Tomball, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2014

As an RCI exchange we decided to stay at Velas. All Inclusive price per person was $90/adult, $60/child. Sounded reasonable. Hotel looked good, obviously aged but well maintained. I loved the peacocks and iguanas roaming around freely. Would have loved to see the peacocks fan out their tails but never did. Only had 2 restaurants, the one near the beach didn't require reservations for dinner but the fancier one did, and you have to reserve early per day to get the time slot you want. Food was okay, nothing to rave about. Loved the fresh fruits and the pizza. Has one swim up bar, the only passable drink they made for me was pina colada. Coffee was terrible. Starbucks is a mile away, so that got us motivated to get up and walk/run early for our cup of joe. Liked the fact that public bus stops right in front of the hotel, so it was easy for us to get on the bus and tour downtown Vallarta for 7.50 pesos instead of taking the taxis. Staff was attentive, didn't press on for tips. I did tip certain waiters/staff that were attentive and spent time to talk with us. Housekeeping did a great job keeping our room clean during our stay, even changed our towels even though we opted not to have new towels daily. The only thing I didn't like was their cleaning schedule. I was woken up around 6 pm from a much needed nap by housekeeping. We were approached by the time share people and booked us for a "hotel tour" but my husband graciously backed out the last minute. don't miss out on the Mexican fiesta night every Sunday, that was fun. All in all our experience in Velas was okay, I would recommend it to friends who want to see Puerto Vallarta on a budget, probably would be better not to go "all-inclusive" since there's plenty of restaurants nearby, and Walmart is easily accessible, too.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 6th floor with view of the pools and beach, so it was much quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for having selected Velas Vallarta for your recent summer trip to Puerto Vallarta. I am pleased that you mentioned various aspects of the hotel that were to your satisfaction, such as the well maintained areas, attentive staff and the great job that housekeeping did for you. I do apologize if the evening turndown service woke you up from your siesta. I am sure that the maid was just trying to make your suite more comfortable by changing your towels and prepping your bed for the evening. I would suggest however that applying the “do not disturb” sign on the door to help prevent any interruptions. Apart from your two maid services each day the mini bar will come by also to stock up your drinks and snacks, but nobody will knock on the door with a do not disturb sign posted. I am glad however that you enjoyed the fresh fruit, pizza and the Mexican Fiesta. I wish that we could have won your approval on our many other culinary options, but we will continue to go forward always looking for ways to improve our menus and products. I do thank you for recommending us to others as an all-inclusive as it really is a diverse product at Velas Vallarta with various blends of coffee. All of which will truly lessen the need to shop at a Walmart or Starbucks while enjoying a relaxing and stress free vacation. I thank you again for your interesting insights and observations and on behalf of the staff we wish you many successful vacations in the future. Take care and all the best to everybody in Tomball, Texas.

Redding, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My sister's family and my family traveled together to Puerta Vallarta. This resort was only about 10 minutes, if that from the airport. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms, family room and kitchen on the 3rd floor. A TV was in both bedrooms but not in the family room. My sister's room though had a TV in the family room. Kitchen was kept stocked daily which was nice and the maid service was good. Our room had an older safe which worked fine with a key but my sister's did not work the entire stay. They had to put their valuables in ours, which was fine. The two restaurants were pretty good, we changed it up and alternated between the two. We liked to go to Andrea for dinner mostly as it was inside and cooler. Oh yes and don't forget the reservations for dinner. Breakfast and lunch didn't need any. The other restaurant had a dessert bar right off of it which had very yummy ice cream and goodies. However the Andrea had a huge selection too. The made to order breakfast was awesome in the mornings. The waiters were awesome. We loved the room service too and took advantage of that almost every night. The pools were great, very warm. Sometimes almost too warm. We played pool volleyball alot. A bunch of families would get a game going and had a great time. Or there were also scheduled game times. The swim up bar was pretty cool and you could order from the other side too. The pizzas, burgers, nachos, etc were good. Loved all the smoothies/daiquiries you could order. The peacocks and iguanas were interesting. The peacocks did wake us up the first few mornings but we got used to them after a while. The ocean was very warm too and safer than the Cabo beach we were on previously. We rode the banana boat and kids rode wave runners. We wished there was more offered down on the beach. The prices were steep (although you can bargain) and only took cash. Took taxis everywhere so if you have a big group, do a van. Town has nice shopping and boardwalk to cruise. Lots of flea market areas to bargain. If you could go to the spa, do it. We waited until the day before we left to get mani/pedi's and massages and they were great. All in all, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank family465
Thank you very much for sharing the nice experiences of your two-family vacation with us at Velas Vallarta. I am glad that everyone took advantage of all aspects of our culinary program, everything from our ice cream and cake kiosk to room service right up to gourmet dinners in our restaurant Andrea was tried and enjoyed. I am very pleased that you mentioned some points on the amenities and furnishings of some of our suites. We are in the final stages of having every suite in the resort equipped with electronic safety deposit boxes as part of our modernization program and our two bedroom suites, just like you resided in now have flat screen televisions in the living room for the comfort of the whole family. It was a pleasure for us to be your hosts for your large family get together and now that you know us very well I hope that your next vacation at Velas Vallarta will be even better than this first one. Thank you again for your kind comments and all the best to you and the entire family in Redding, California. Take care.

Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here the first week of July and it was awesome.

Our room: We had a room on the 8th floor with great views of the pools and ocean. The kitchen looks a little outdated, but we only used the fridge anyway. We had the all-inclusive so the fridge was restocked daily with 3 Tecate lights, 3 Dos Equis, 3 Pepsis, 3 iced teas, and milk. Snacks included cereals, chips, doritos, popcorn, super salty peanuts. Room itself was great: spacious, comfortable, quiet. The shower has a clothesline to hang wet bathing suits on too. The included free wifi is really slow, but you can pay for faster wifi.

Weather: The weather forecast showed 90% chance of thunderstorms every day so we almost canceled our trip, but glad we didn't. It rained about 20 minutes the first day we were there, but we were at the swim-up bar so who cares? Then it rained one other night from about 4-8 pm. We just sat on the balcony, had some drinks and chips, and watched the rain. Other than that it was definitely humid (not so bad by the water, but was rough for golf) and overcast most days, which was nice because we didn't have to worry about sunburn.

Pool: The hotel was 50% full because it's the slow/rainy season I guess so we had the pool with the waterfall to ourselves in the mornings to swim laps (it's doesn't have lane lines, but it's big enough across for laps). Pool was beautiful and clean and sometimes the iguanas would swim in it too.

Food: Food was delicious at both restaurants. Breakfast is basically the same at both. For dinners, we liked Andrea because the menu changes every night. Even though our hotel was half-empty we still had to make daily reservations for Andrea otherwise we'd be eating at 10 pm. If you forget to reserve a table you can get food to go though.

Bars: The hotel could really use another bar in the lobby. The swim-up bar closes at 7 and then you have to go to the restaurants for drinks. A lot of the nighttime entertainment is in the lobby, but if you want a drink you have to walk all the way to the restaurant by the beach. Pina coladas were my favorite and you can ask for double rum.

Room Tip: We booked through Travelocity and upgraded to the 1 bedroom deluxe suite with ocean view. We were on...
1 Thank gaiuste

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Casa Velas
Casa Velas
#2 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,529 reviews
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallar...
#8 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,772 reviews
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto ...
#31 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,808 reviews

Been to Velas Vallarta? Share your experiences!