“Great Living Social Deal”

Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 6 February 2012

This was our first all inclusive and first time to PV. We had booked through LS and got a good deal for 5 nights. Having only done cruises before where we only signed for drinks it was annoying to have to sign every time, but this didn't stop us from having a good time. We were anticipating a big sell on the timeshare thing but some how lucked out as it was barely even mentioned. The resort as many said is dated but the rooms are clean. We really enjoyed the "older" crowd as it meant that you didn't have to worry about being kept awake. There was a slight delay in getting to our room but it ended up working out as we were moved to the main building. This allowed me to get wifi access from the room. The $40 for 5 days may seem steep for others but I am used to paying 10-15 per day at hotels in the states. If I had not needed to login for work - the price may have helped me to disconnect for a few days. The staff was very friendly and willing to go that extra mile (particularly Francisco and Joaquin).
I don't think this resort will be a fit for every traveler but it was perfect for us (30/40yr olds - no kids). If we wanted more activities or partying - we could have found it in town. This was perfect for hanging out at the pool, taking a trip into the downtown and relaxing on the beach. The massage included in our package was awesome. I am a picky eater and while the food was not the best - I was always able to find something to eat. If I could have just eaten the guacamole for every meal, I would have. It was that GOOD! I would recommend this resort to others and if we go back to PV again - this would be on our list.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katie G

Reviewed 6 February 2012

My friend and I just returned from Villa Del Palmat in Puerto Vallarta and we both were very impressed with the hotel service, the food, the room and the general ambiance of the place. We were treated extremely well by each and every staff member we came in contact with!

On the time sharing front, we felt that the time share manager was no less than a boor! The time share salesman was very pleasant. Just remember that you must go to the 90 min timeshare presentation or you will be charged an additional $480 per person. The presentation is not at all bad but as I said, if you don't buy, the timeshare manager is very rude. I would not have expected this from such a nice place.

So overall, yes I would strongly recommend Villa Del Palmar

Room Tip: Review it first. Possibly get one overlooking the pool on the 4 th plus floor
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Louise O
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Flying from the SF Bay area, just three and half hours direct and a very pleasant flight. Haven't been in PV for about 20 years, we were anxious for a great vacation. However at our arrival in PV and in spite we had paid in advance a shuttle ($14 US each) to get us out immediately, we didn’t see our driver with the names at the waiting area, so we continue to walk toward the grown transportation area. We made a mistake of asking where the shuttles parked so we could walk in the right direction. Big mistake! We literally got attack by a swarming of time share sales people all posing as reps of the Villa Del Palmar and bouncing us over to another ones, like Ping-Pong balls; finally the last person at the counter’ door was the rep of the resort’ with a name tag. We got the sales pitch from her and at that point, if I had a million dollars with me, I would have given it to her just to get me out and to the hotel. Horrible experience!

She did lead the way to a cab and sends us toward our destination. Then, at the exit door, we saw our names posted by the shuttle.

At our arrival to the resort, was a total different story. Bell boys, registration desk and all the personnel were very sympathetic and eager to help and send us to our room. From day one and the following two weeks, everyone at the resort was incredible helpful, pleasant, good variety of daily activities and night entertainment. The beach with white sand, a pleasure to toast in the sun; good service both around the pools and the beach and the restaurants with a good variety of Italian and Mexican cuisine; our favorite, the seafood platter at Equipales.

On the downside, we broke a rule for the first time; out of desperation at the airport we agreed to attend the timeshare meeting; big mistake; is like going to buy a used car at the near lot. Yes, they gave us the perks promised, but the time and pressure, not worth the effort. First and last time!

Would we choose or recommend this Resort for a future vacation? Absolutely yes; well situated, extremely good service, well kept grounds, all city buses at almost the door, small grocery, pharmacy and boutique all in one in the complex, laundry room, Wi-Fi at $11 at day, and international, domestic phone call very expensive about $2.50 US p/m. Bring your own service or buy a card.

Two short blocks away, is a shopping center with grocery store (every hour hot fresh heavenly bread,) fresh produce and good variety of wines. A mile away north, Wal-Mart and Sams Club, Costco,and a beautiful shopping center,with good restaurants. The near hotels beaches like the Buganvillia Sheraton, connect pretty easy, you can even walk to the PV downtown from the Resort.

Love Puerto Vallarta.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank genericglo
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Just finished 2 week stay at Villa Del Palmar. I would definitely stay here again as the resort has a great location and is well maintained. The negatives are that it is expensive food and drink wise. We overcame that with no difficulty. We ate and nice spots close by and downtown. 2
Soriana grocery stores close by. We had a studio with a mini kitchen. Nice balcony third floor of building 3. We had ocean view off in the distance. The pools are great. The pool on the quiet sdie in Villa Del Mar is warm and great for lap swimming starting at 8 in the morning. Employees work hard to entertain and the afternoon dance classes are fun to watch. The $12.00 charge for WiFi is way over the top. The mall close by has Starbucks and Chili's which have free WiFi so that's what a lot of folks do. A more moderate price of 4.00 per day would have eliminated having to take an IPAD out.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank irish_two42643
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I've been a member at Villa del Palmar since 1994 and I go there almost every year. Up until this trip, I have been very happy every time. The rooms and the resort itself are still very nice, the pool is beautiful, and the Concierge staff were fantastic as usual. And I've written glowing revews of VDP in the past.

HOWEVER: This year the customer service that I was looking for just was not there and it obviously irritated at least one staff member that I was even asking for a few things. First, I booked two rooms this trip because I was bringing a friend who had never been to PV before and he wanted his own suite. His room was booked through Interval Getaways and started on October 8th (Saturday) and mine was my week that I own (which I paid for an upgrade to on) and it started on Sunday October 9th. I had never before asked for a room in a certain part of the resort but I asked ahead and they even put it on my reservation that I wanted my room to be in a certain part of the resort. And for the getaway room, I called within the last week as Carlos had asked me to over the phone. We did not get either room where we wanted them to be. I do understand that they don't gaurantee anything, but it was obvious there was not even an effort to get what we wanted. And on top of that there was another family I know who goes every year as well. They didn't want the area I wanted and there they were. In fairness, they did not ask for what they wanted. But I made my request months ahead, I'm there every year, and I am a customer who has always tried to sell the resort through my reviews and by word of mouth for as long as I've been a member. I've even received emails from their staff thanking me for my reviews in the past. Is it really that hard to get a room in a certain part of the resort? Would it have even taken as much effort as this review? The room my buddy got was an awesome room and it did not end up being a bother that this room was not where we had requested because they room was so nice. Mine on the other hand was not so nice. The sofa in the living room was one that might sell for $40 in a garage sale. No dresser in the bedroom, just a long row of shelves, and the door hit the shelves when you opened it. And there was supposed to be service for four on plates, silverware, etc.... I can't remember who I told that I was missing some stuff and they just said not to worry I would not be charged for anything when I checked out. One of the rooms had a corkscrew in it, the other did not. They always had in the past. Attention to detail is definitely going away. At it was definitely time to renovate this room in building 1. Oh and did I mention, I specifically asked to be in building 2, ground floor? I got building 1 second floor.

But the part that really upset me, was that one of the ladies who works at the front desk acted like it was a major burden that I was even asking for something I wanted at all. She was visibly irritated at me when I told her that I had made my request way ahead of time. I would have understood that if I had been one of those people who was insisting on everything and losing my cool, but I was just asking for something that should have only taken a small amount of effort to provide. And after years of being a loyal customer and supporter.

Second: No less than 6 times during the week the keys to one of the rooms or the other quit working. We seemed to be continously going back to the front desk to replace room keys. Just frustrating.

Third: And this one blows my mind a little. Maybe there is something I don't understand about the way these things work. When I got back they sent me an online customer satisfaction survey. Great, I have a way to let them know what I thought about the lack of consideration I got. But somehow, my computer, or the system, or something would not let me open the survey I tried over and over and it just would not open. So I asked their rep who is on facebook to send me another one. I was told they can't do that because they have to control those emails or something to that effect. Really? They can't send out another email to make sure that their customers are happy with them? Does that pass the common sense test?

All this being said. I understand that in any business things are going to fall through the cracks, and that one or two not so enthusiastic employees can make a whole operation look flawed. We still had a magnificant vacation. My buddy was completely impressed with his room (I'm glad he got the nicer one). Puerto Vallarta is the place to be for an affordable yet outstanding vacation as there are tons of things to do, unmeasurable choices of top notch restaurants to eat at, and some of the world's most beautiful scenery. The service by the bell staff, concierge, and restaurants and bars onsite was as outstanding as it has always been. Every one of them will bend over backward to make sure you have a great time. Gloria & Katy especially, they greeted us with a huge smile every time we walked through the lobby and helped us with the key situation on more than one occasion. I apologize that I have been busy and did not write this right away after returning so I have forgotten the name of the guy who booked our tours for us, but NOBODY ever before went as far out of their way to do as great a job as he did this trip Don't remember his name but I will remember who he is and go to him again this year when I return.

For now, I still think that for the money and location, this is one of the best resorts to visit in Puerto Vallarta, but if my service doesn't return to what it used to be I may be changing my mind. We will see this October. Planning to return on October 7th.

Dave

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank david760
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We got a two bedroom condo at this resort through a timeshare exchange. Wonderful unit in building two on the forth floor (2409) facing the pool and ocean. The unit was clean and our maid Edith kept it that way. Usually when we use these timeshare condos, there is no house keeping during the week; but not here - we had daily maid service - she even washed the dishes in the sink. The condo was quite, clean, comfortable. Even had a safe to lock up valuables.

We arrived early (around noon) and still was able to checkin to our unit. Staff was friendly; Front desk employees could have spoken English a little better. Yes, they tried to intice us to get a discount card by attending a timeshare presentation - but I just said we already owned 2 timeshares and wasn't interested. She wrote down her name and extension number on a paper for me, if I changed my mind, and that was it - wasn't bothered again about timeshares.

Loved the resort, pools & beach area. Pools were a little cool and Hot tubs could have been hotter. Loved spending the day under a palapa out on the beach. Drink staff gave good service out there. The "muffin man" comes each morning at the beach - great homemade muffins for 20 pesos. Each noon, a husband and wife vendors serves lunch under two palapa's far right on resort beach. Great (safe) complete lunch for 45 pesos - highly recommend!

I was suprised by all the negative reviews on TA for this Hotel - I just didn't see the problems. A great resort. However, one negative I didn't care for was the "automatic" charging to our bill a daily gratuity for hotel staff. Since we had already tiped our maid, the bellman (Migual was wonderful & friendly!) & drink waiters - I took offence to this practice and ask that the charges be removed from the bill. They did. Wish they had disclosed this practice when we checked in.

We initially went to Walmart for a week's worth of supplies, but used the Market/Deli at the resort too for little things and internet cafe. Can get fresh breakfast pastries there too for around 12 pesos. We used the Bus system for the first time on this visit, since bus stops were close to this resort. Not bad - just bumby.

I would recommend this resort and we will return. Only wish it was closer to Old Town, as were went there often for activities and meals.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank DJ3722
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Stayed in December for 1 week, Perfect weather and the hotel accomadations were
perfect. The bed was more comfortable than my own at home.
The food was increadable!!! At breafast on the beach every morning and watch the
sunrise over the mountains. The all incluseive package was the way to go!!!
Lunch and dinner were spectacular. Two huge pools and jacuzzi's never too full.
Plenty of activities and a sports bar to watch American sports.
I will be back!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#25 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Mexican Charm All Inclusive
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Me...
#20 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Los Arcos Suites
Los Arcos Suites
#23 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa del Palmar Flamingos Beach Resort & Spa Riviera Nayarit
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great...
#26 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto ...
#30 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!