“Pleasantly surprised!”

Ranked #27 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Detroit, Michigan
“Pleasantly surprised!”
Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews prior to our visit I was a little concerned that we may not enjoy the property. We bid on this at a charity auction and had never been to Puerto Vallarta before. Check in was easy and we were passed on to a "concierge" who gave us some information on local activities and taxi fares around the region. She offered us a discount card for activities if we sat through the 90 minute presentation on timeshares. We declined and it was no problem.

Our room was on the first floor across from the bar nearest the lobby. The room itself was a little dated but for two people it was great because we had our own bathrooms and a refrigerator for yogurt and sodas etc.

The grounds are very well kept and the staff was working everyday on landscaping projects. Although we did not lay out at the pools, all of them were beautiful and looked inviting. We prefer the beach and found the bar staff friendly and attentive if you needed something but not overly aggressive. The beach was great with a gradual sloap.

We only ate at the restaurant for lunch twice and it was very good however an I.V.A. Tax was added to our bill. Not a big deal but around 80 pesos tax for lunch. We ended up eating at the Fiesta Americana next door twice (no tax added), and the sea monkey downtown twice ($1.00 margaritas and right on the beach)!

Overall I was pleasantly surprised at the resort. We did not get any spa services but the spa staff came to the beach to tell us of daily specials which seemed like good values. The few problems we had with a leak in the bathroom was promptly fixed.

The store on the property had quite a few things we needed but we also went to the Sorianas market for additional items. Also, the bus stop right near the property was convenient, inexpensive (13 pesos for 2 people) , safe and an easy way to get to town.

Puerto Vallarta was quite a surprise itself! Very authentic Mexican town! The Mexicans have hospitality down! Great restaurants with great views!

Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
Vancouver
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My family and I stayed at this resort from April 14 to April 21. Check in was very smooth. Thank you to Patty for that. We asked for a pool/beach facing view and a floor on the higher level. We got a room in Building 3 on the 4th floor overlooking the main pool. The room and the bathroom were very clean, well stocked with towels and the mini kitchenette was well stocked with utensils.The beds were neither too hard nor too soft. Very comfy for our backs. We didn't end up with a sore back.
I stopped next at the gym and was amazed at how clean and big it was, much better than my local gym in Vancouver. It had a proper weight training area, couple of treadmills, elipticals, bikes and a yoga room with dvds. The Ladies/Men bathroom had lockers, a jacuzzi and a sauna room which almost felt like being in a spa. I'd workout every morning and thank you to Francisco and Hector for the morning chats. Not a lot of people exercise during a vacation but considering all the delicious food I ate there, I needed to burn the extra calories :)
The hotel has 3 pools, one facing the beach, the main pool in the centre and a quiet pool close to the gym in the "Villa Del Mar" area. Daily activities are held in the main pool and my favourite were the Aqua Aerobics classes at noon everyday. Victor, Federico, Sandra and Erik - thank you for the great classes and the tequilla volleyball. Dance classes at 4 pm with Federico are a must attend. I had so much fun participating in the day time activies. You guys are awesome!!! All the 3 pools are kept clean. I didn't use much of the pool close to the beach as it was full of families with little kids over the weekends. When I needed my laps, I'd go to the quieter pool near the gym.
The beach is beautiful and there were always chairs/loungers available. If there wasn't one, we'd just ask Raoul at the Towel Service area and he would get someone to set it up for us. It was never a problem getting loungers by the pool or the beach area. A lot of peddlers would be selling their stuff and would constantly ask you if you wanted to buy. We told them once that we were not interested and they wouldn't bug us after that.
Our package was All Inclusive so we had all our meals and drinks in the hotel. The breakfast buffet was my favouite meal of the day. Lots of fresh fruits, different kinds of cheese, pancakes, french toast and mexican breakfast items. The egg station was great, I got my denver omlettes everyday. The bread station had 4-5 different kinds of breads everyday ranging from white/brown breads to croissants, banana breads and different kinds of rolls.
The hotel has 3 restaurants. One where the buffet is held, the other is Italian and the third one is near the main pool. Also there are great individuals who walk around with a "beach and a pool" menu. No one can really go hungry here. Lunch comprised of pizza or fish tacos. Both of which were very tasty. My mom is a vegetarain and there were lots of vegetarian options for her. The pizza was very good, much better than Dominos or Pizza Hut.
On Tuesdays/Thursdays, they have theme nights such as the Mexican Fiesta night and Beach Party. I participated in all the contests and dances in these events. Oscar and his group - Very creative and the dances are spectacular. My favorite part about the dinners were the deserts. I loved the little chocolate, black forest, coffee, strawberry shortcake cakes. Perfectly portioned, less sugary and light. On Sundays, they have a Prime Rib special for dinner. On Wednesdays, they have a fisherman's buffet. Both are very good. I enjoyed eating lots of sea food such as the different kinds of fish, scallops and shrimp.
Overall, I had so much fun during my stay and made some cool friends. Everyone is so polite and after 2-3 days, they know you and are always willing to serve you with a smile on their faces. I would like to name a few of the staff members as I feel they are not appreciated enough. Agustin, Yesenia, Eriberto and Ricardo served us during breakfast. Daniel, Caesar (there are 2 of them), Joaquin served us drinks, snacks and lunch during the day. Onofrey served us most nights during dinner and went out of his way to ensure there was something vegetarian for my mom to eat. A big thank you to all of you. You guys made our vacation a very memorable one!!!!
Oscar, Federico, Erik, Sandra, Victor, Erika and Annie - You are all so talented, beautiful and friendly. I enjoyed all of the activities that you guys organized for us.
At the front - Afrika, Aurora and Grace. Thank you for guiding us for tours and the trips to the Malecon. All of you guys mentioned above were very helpful.
Check out was smooth as well, thank you to Adriana for that. Overall my family and I had lots of fun and everything was great. I don't have one bad thing to say about this place.
For all the bad things I read about the Time Share on this website, yes, my 2 hours were wasted at a timeshare presentation, but I also got a lot of free stuff out of it like a bottle of tequilla, a day tour to the city including a tour of tequilla making, discounted passes for parasailing/snorkelling and a massage.
We took the bus to the downtown area and Malecon, visited the Guadalupe church one evening. It is a must see. If you need directions, Afrika and Aurora are the girls to talk to.
On the beach, we did parasailing which costed us $35.00 each and kayaking (included in our package).
Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!! I will certainly be coming back to this resort in my next trip to Puerto Vallarta!!! :)

Room Tip: Anything over the 4th floor is good and is much quieter. Since I am a coffee addict, I carried Starb...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Suzie V
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I’ve waited to write this review for nearly 6 months, as I didn’t want to write anything “in the heat of the moment” but I’ve now decided that it has to be said, as I don’t want anyone else to have to go through this!

I went to this hotel as a bridesmaid for my best friend’s wedding, and I’ve never been more disappointed in a hotel/resort in my life. Now, let me say this: the wedding day was perfect and lovely.

While I am not the bride, I am one of her best friends, and as a bridesmaid helped with a lot of the preparation, as well as the organization of the group, and the final discussions with the hotel. However, the problems began before we even arrived in Mexico (which should have been our first clue). Once the wedding was confirmed with the hotel, we lost contact with the wedding planner. This was not good, as the contract had not been signed (as it had not been sent in 6 months) and a deposit hadn’t been taken on the credit card... And the wedding was in 2 months! So, I decided to phone the hotel to speak with her, to save the bride and her mother the headache. After a whole day calling the hotel and being hung up on no less than 10 times, I finally got a hold of someone, and they promised they would contact me.

Eventually, they did, and explained that the wedding planner had left the hotel, and put us in contact with a new person. However, this long day of calling resulted in a $100 phone bill!
However, this new person seemed helpful, and responded to emails in a timely manner, which was a welcome change to what we had dealt with previously. This person promptly responded to information about the ceremony and reception. Including one email responding that yes, “all domestic and national drinks were included” in the cost of the reception.

Then the day came, and myself, the family, and the rest of the wedding party arrived at the hotel. Multiple rooms (including mine) were incorrect, and we had to take the matter up with the front desk. Eventually some of the rooms were changed, including mine – but not to the rooms that were originally booked. Also, the entire wedding party was spread throughout the hotel, which made it cumbersome, but do-able.

The wedding day itself was as beautiful and perfect as you could imagine. The bride’s father (who doesn’t drink) even decided to add a mimosa to the luncheon reception, for the toasts. This was confirmed with the catering manager on staff, that one mimosa would be served to each wedding guests for the toasts. While we waited for the bride and groom, many bottles of water, glasses of juice and mimosas were handed out to the wedding guests. Which based on the email from the wedding coordinator about “all domestic and national drinks” being included in the reception, no one blinked an eye at.

So, imagine the family’s surprise when a bill for 8 bottles of champagne and a $400 charge for water and juice came to them! The father of the bride asked to speak with the catering manager, since it was agreed than only ONE mimosa per guest would be covered by the bride’s parents, and based on the previous email from their own staff, that the water and juice should have been free of charge. This seemed especially poignant since the hotel staff was “free-pouring” the drinks. The bride’s father, in an effort to be magnanimous even offered to not haggle over the serving of 8 bottles of champagne to 28 people, however, the staff refused to listen, or even meet with the parents of the bride.

To make matters worse, people of our party started bringing to my attention other issues that they were having. Including (but not limited to), mildew on the bedspread (GROSS) and other cleanliness problems, as well as guests being verbally abused in Spanish by the hotel’s Desk Staff, without the knowledge that some of the guests spoke fluent Spanish.

Upon seeing the bride’s mother in TEARS about how she and her guests had been treated, the day before our departure, I personally made a meeting with the Room’s Division Manager, Miguel Velasco. I brought ALL of these complaints before him in an effort to find a way to salvage our stay at the Villa del Palmar, Puerto Vallarta. He asked that I write a letter explaining what had happened, which I did immediately. I then asked him if I could speak with him on the morning of our departure ay 9am, to see where everything was sitting, and when I arrived for our meeting, I was told that he would be “right in”. After waiting an HOUR, I was approached and told that he was not coming in that day.

Then the Food & Beverage Manager Samuel was sent down to the lobby to speak with me and the bride’s father. He did give the bride’s parents a 20% discount for food and beverage only on their room bill. This works out to about a $90 USD discount. This was to rebate them in regards to the water and juice charged for the wedding; however that charge amounts to roughly $400.

Since our return to Canada, I have had further contact with the hotel, in an effort to have the bride’s family only be charged what they should have been, or at least to receive an apology in regards to the terrible service that had been received. I have emailed both Miguel Velasco and Ernesto Hernandez (General Manager) on multiple occasions. I have sent emails on November 8, 15, and 23. I also called the Villa directly on November 21, 25 and 28th. And was told each time Ernesto will phone me back. Eventually, Miguel Velasco was transferred to another Villa property, and since then I have been in contact with Jonathan Amezcua Carabantes (who has now left the Villa) and Francisco Moras Castellanos, roughly every 2 weeks for 6 months. Each of them has tried to turn the blame back on to myself and the bride’s family, as well as denying the actual instances of unacceptable cleanliness and abusive service we received. Since most of my emails were met with no response, I even started to put read receipts on them, and to my ABSOLUTE HORROR, found that they were “being deleted without being read.”

At this time NO resolution has been made to any of the guests, or the bride and her family, or myself. I am APPALLED at not only the lack of customer service, cleanliness, human decency and response that we have had with the Villa Del Palmar. There are NO WORDS to express my disappointment, and utter disgust at the entire hotel (staff, and grounds), as well as at the Villa Group for not taking the time to even LISTEN to our complaints in a reasonable manner. There is NOTHING that could persuade me to EVER stay at a Villa Resort again, and I suggest you do the same, so that the same thing does not happen to you.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere. You don't want to have to deal with sub-standard cleanliness, and mildew on your...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
17 Thank baad_14
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Villa Del Palmar Centro is a lovely resort on a long beautiful stretch of very walkable beach where vendors sell their wares, the most delicious of which is the skewers of fresh grilled shrimp (25 pesos, less than $2.50). It's close to the airport and the marina (for excursions), Soriana grocery store, shops, and restaurants, and is a 15 minute bus ride ( 6.5 pesos, less than 65 cents) from the downtown area. Ask anyone on the bus for "Malecon" to know where to get off. Make sure you walk along the Malecon (the seashore boardwalk) and enjoy the whimsical sculptures there. Near the crowned Cathedral, a must-see, there are small Mexican restaurants, such as El Campanario (The Belltower) for the locals where you can get a full authentic Mexican meal for 60 pesos (less than $6). There are beautiful art galleries and they have an evening Artwalk every Wednesday. Catch any bus marked "Walmart" or "aeroporto" to get back to the hotel.
I followed the advice of other tripadvisors and asked for a room overlooking the pool and the ocean higher than the 4th floor, and they gave us one on the 7th floor. On a couple of evenings we could see fireworks from our balcony. The Mexican Fiesta evening, which is held every Tuesday, was very entertaining with a delicious all-you-can-eat buffet and all-you-can-drink until 10 p.m. If you agree to attend the sister resort's timeshare presentation at the Villa del Palmar Flamingo in Puerto Nuevo, you can bargain ahead of time for them to give you 2 free fiestas, free drink vouchers, a free excursion for 2 (we did the Jungle Trio, which was good), free shuttle rides, and a free bottle of Tequila. The Flamingo is also walking distance along the beach to the quaint town of Bucerias which is interesting to walk around and has good restaurants and a flea market for souvenir shopping. It was at the Mexican Fiesta that we met people at the resort who became friends for the week and hopefully longer. The Beach Party, which is held every Thursday, is fun too. Don't be afraid to volunteer to go onstage where you can play some fun competitive games and possibly win some artisanal prizes.
I enjoyed the poolside activities such as aquafitness, dance lessons, ping-pong tournaments, and Bingo. It's another good way to meet people, and the animacion staff is so friendly.
If you have a Scotiabank account, then you can use your debit card at the corresponding ATM's, there's even one at the airport, for the best rate on pesos, and best of all, no transaction fees.
We stayed in Puerto Vallarta over a year ago at a different resort which was on a mountain road on the way to Mismaloya. It was difficult to walk on since it had no sidewalks, only crazy drivers, and it only had a small private beach. This resort is much better.
My friend enjoyed the resort so much that she's looking into buying a unit there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Renton, Washington
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We love coming to this resort. It is a timeshare, although you can rent days or weeks here too. We own weeks 6 and 7 – that covers Presidents’ Day in February – which is a good time to come and often hard to get into. We came here because our friends were here and we visited them and liked it, so we bought when the weeks came up on eBay. We really enjoy the weather – of course –the beach – of course – and the great pools. We have a one-bedroom unit with a mini-kitchen and I am able to cook almost all our meals here. Just a short walk to Soriano grocery store, which we often do! Like daily???? 
This year we were sick (bronchitis) and needed to go to a doctor and used the on-site clinic which was wonderful. We were able to get reimbursed from our insurance company when we got home.
We highly recommend this place, everyone is helpful and friendly.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RonandJoan
Victoria, Seychelles
Reviewed 16 April 2012

After begging for nine months to get my friends to take a vacation with me, I can say it was totally worth it. The location is great because it's not right in downtown, which is always crazy with vendors, tourists and traffic. It takes about 5-10 minutes to get into town via taxi, and the average price I paid was about USD$7. I stayed in the Riviera Maya last year and, while it was a 5 star resort, my friends all talk about how the service and people were nothing like those in Puerto Vallarta. And they were right. Everyone goes out of their way to make sure things are perfect for you. I left a day early because I was flying on a Buddy Pass from my brother, a Delta pilot, and that is my only regret.

Room Tip: If at all possible, make sure you get a suite in Building One. Every room has an outdoor jacuzzi and...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank BJRCollins
Campbell River, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Location is great... bus into PV right outside, and a Soriana Mall across the road. The beach is small - but nice with great views of Banderas Bay and Old Town. At first we didn't think there were enough sunloungers and umbrellas, but they are stored away, and the towel boy will bring them out and put them where you want. Our one bedroom suite was comfortable but dated and worn. There was way too much furniture in the sitting room - so we took a chair and two side tables out onto the deck (which was nice and big). The bedroom was in the middle of the unit with shutters that open to the sitting area - so no view and rather dark. The kitchen was very well stocked.
The resort is shaped in the traditional horseshoe (to maximum space), so when sitting in the room the view is of the suites opposite... had to sit on the edge of the deck to see the ocean (I'm a view person!). However as we were out most of the day it was no big deal. The main pool was always busy and could get noisy, but next door is an older "sister" resort - Villa Del Mar - with a lovely quiet pool - if that is was you want.
Didn't use the restaurants so can't comment, and bar service on the beach was sporadic - had to go looking for a server.
The biggest disappointment was the noise coming from the Holiday Inn Resort next door. Most evenings they had loud music blaring until 11.00 p.m. - which resonated all around the VDP - it was impossible to sit outside in the evening and relax listening to the waves on the beach.

Room Tip: try to get as close to the ocean as possible - the suites at the back of the horseshoe are pretty no...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank susiq101
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#28 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
#35 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,500 reviews
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Mexican Charm All Inclusive
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Me...
#21 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,683 reviews
Hotel Casa Dona Susana
Hotel Casa Dona Susana
#23 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!