“The great staff keep us coming back”

Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Nanaimo BC
“The great staff keep us coming back”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We have been going here for years, and just spent the month of March here. As usual, we can't say enough about the staff. They are the reason we can't imagine going anywhere else in Puerto Vallarta. On the front desk, Alan and Claudia are among the most helpful and professional hospitality staff we have ever dealt with (and that's many, considering that we travel a lot). They are exceptional ambassadors for del Palmar. If they ever leave, we'd probably follow them. Among the wait staff, Joacquin Correa Rodriguez stands out. He always makes time for a friendly chat, looks out for us, and makes us feel appreciated. In the gym, Hector offers workout suggestions for us tailored to our needs, greets us anytime we see him, and obviously is devoted to fitness. You can read elsewhere about the rest of the resort, but no matter how good it is, it can't match the quality of these fine people.

Room Tip: Away from the main pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gord W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
Richlands, Virginia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We decided to come and stay in Valla del Palmar because of our great vacation experience in their Cancun facilty. This hotel is the oldest in the Villa Group of hotels, more than thirty years old yet they have made every effort to keep this clean, attractive and modern. We liked the location, it is in the middle of hotel zone. Close to Marina and main street. Easy to go anywhere in the area by bus or taxi. Most courteous staff everywhere. Restaurants are excellent. We will return to another Villa group facility soon.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have ocean view. But why worry few steps you are on the beach.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Cave Creek, Arizona
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was our first time to the villa Del Palmar (Centro). What a nice property! Since we traveled to the property in June, it's considered the off season. With that said, there were no crowds at the resort whatsoever. My review will consist of a couple of topics which should give an overall view of the resorts and the experience. To qualify my review, I read a number of previous reviews on the resort, so I had some idea of what to expect upon arrival etc...

So here we go..

Arrival at the resort - upon arrival, the bellmen were extremely friendly and helpful. Right away, we were greeted by a concierge, and escorted to the front desk. The check in process was quick and efficient. No problems at all. After check in, we spent about 10 minutes in the lobby with the concierge. She went over the property, and asked if we were interested in taking a tour of their sister property for a 90 minute. Which we all know if more like 3-4 hours. When we said no, and that we just wanted to vacation, that was it. We never had anyone approach us for timeshare sales for the next 7 days!

Pool and beach - the pools are clean and were about 82-84 degrees. The hot tub was 102 and clean as well. The beach was clean and the vendors strolling were not intrusive. A couple did come up to our lounge chairs that were on the concrete next to the sand, but no big deal. The beach is clean and has a great view of the bay. The poolside drink and food service was excellent. Javier was the man who keep our drinks coming and food we wanted it. He's a good man, and is an asset to the resort! I read a number of reviews via Trip Advisor talking about people reserving pool chairs early in the morning. This was not the case at all. You could go down to the pool at any point in the day and get chairs right next to the pool.

Room - we were in building one in room 1503. Great view of the pool and partial of the ocean. Vaulted ceilings throughout the rooms. The room was newly remolded, and was very clean. The air conditioning was spot on, and kept the room cold. Traveling to PVR in June, you will experience 80 - 90% humidity. Having a cool room made a nice retreat from the heat and humidity. The bathrooms are spacious and laid out nicely. You can drink the water at the resort as well!

Restaurants - we dined at the Mexican and Italian places, as well as ordered poolside lunch. Both restaurants were really good. The service is friendly and you were never rushed to get out. The waiters seemed to genuinely care about you having a good experience.

Location - the resort is conveniently located to the airport, shopping (grocery store and mall) and downtown PV. The cab ride to downtown was about 60 pesos, which is cheap. Cabs were always waiting at the resort, and ready to go.

Internet - the internet works best in the lobby. It would have been nice to have it in the room, but then my kids would have lived on that instead of going out and doing things. We had a hard time connecting from the balcony, which they said we should have been able to do. Oh well, we were on vacation.

Overall - this is our 3rd trip to PV, but the first to the Palmar. Definitely on the list as a place to come back to. Probably won't come back in June, due to the humidity. We are from Arizona, so anything about 10% humidity is rough to us. But what a great trip, resort and vacation. Not being timeshare pressured was a huge relief. I have no problem saying no, but not being ask was nice. I would recommend this property to anyone! Truly a great experience!!!!

Room Tip: We were on the top floor of building one (room 1503), which is closest to the beach. We had a two be...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank ChilloutAZ1
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed here for 3 weeks in May. Upon arrival, I asked for an upgrade, no dice, which I understand, but the hotel was at 30% occupancy, I couldn't quite understand the imposition. . The night before I left, I had an opportunity to get an all-inclusive deal via a website for $250 for 4 nights, room included. I tried to get this deal, stating that my room and transportation had already been paid for, but would be willing to go on the presentation required. I was told that this was not an option. WHAT???? I have already paid for my room and transportation to the resort, but I could not get as good of a deal as those who were getting their room free? I only wanted the AI. I was told that I was "required" to accept airport transfers and stay in the rooms they chose. I still don't get this, I had already paid for the room and to get to the resort! The others that I met who got the deal only had to go on the presentation, which I agreed to, and they got AI. Not me.

I was placed in a corner room in building 3, overlooking the restaurant roof. Not very pleasant. However, I was in Mexico, and didn't want to complain too much. Unfortunately, there was major construction going on at the hotel next door, and I heard it all. However, this is not the resort's fault.

Naturally, they tried again to get me to go on a presentation. I was willing to do so, however, had higher expectations knowing that many of the guests had already received AI (at $85USD per day per person) and hotel room for basically free doing the same presentation.

Overall, I had stayed there many years ago, and wanted to go back. The beach is nice, the service is beyond excellent from the wait staff and the maids. I wish I could give this place a higher rating because of that. However, during my 3 weeks there, I had many conversations with many people, and without question, all were treated better than I was.

Room Tip: Do not stay in building 3 if you can avoid it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Sue G
Shoreline, Washington
Reviewed 14 June 2014

every one makes U feel at home. They staff makes you every wish come true I would tell everyone they will never want to leave.It is easy access to town and all the buses are almost new. We have been owners for over 20 years and this is in of the best of the Villa Group.

Room Tip: We like building One and Building 8.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jean C
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The resort is located some 3 kms from el Centro and 3 kms south of the Marina. It is clean and well maintained. From the moment you arrive, the bellmen greet you in a very friendly manner looking after your baggage and getting you to your suite. The front staff are most cordial and my thanks to Gloria and Katy for all their help. The accommodation is clean with everything you need: a full kitchen, clean bedding and towels to a lanai that is quite spacious. The grounds are well maintained with lots of amenities including beach, volley ball, kayaks, long boards, 3 swimming pools, hot tubs, gym, tennis, water aerobics, BBQ, happy hours, various types of restaurants and more. Along with a great location, it all makes for a memorable vacation!

Room Tip: With studios up to 2 & 3 bedroom units, most have garden to sea views. Only a few in the lower t...
Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Mollita2013
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Villa del Palmar in downtown Puerto Vallarta is the warmest place you can go for a vacation. Puerto Vallarta is the safest city I have visited. You can leave your door open to let the ocean breeze in and nobody will come in except the security guard who will tell you to lock your door.From the moment you walk into the from lobby, you are met with friendly faces- Johanna, Alan, Claudia, Jose, Cecila at the front desk. Angel, the food and beverage manager, is constantly improving the menus. Friendly waiters are ready to take your orders around the pool and the beach. I just wish the security would be more alert to violators who bring outside food and eat it around the pool when there are big signs all around in English and Spanish that this is prohibited. There are also guests who hang their laundry in the railings of their balconies that overlook the main pool.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lourdes W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#28 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
#36 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,511 reviews
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Mexican Charm All Inclusive
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Me...
#21 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,695 reviews
Hotel Casa Dona Susana
Hotel Casa Dona Susana
#23 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!