“It was nice!”

Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is my 6th time vacationing in Puerto Vallarta and the 2nd time staying at Villa Del Palmar, the last time I stayed there was 20 years ago. The hotel is in a great location, it's close to the Malecon,the airport, and it's practically across the street from Walmart and Sam's Club, which is great if you are planning to save some money by stocking up the kitchen in your room. If you don't want to rent a car, don't worry, it's not that expensive to cab it or bus it $4.00 will get you from the resort to Walmart/Sam's Club and $4.00 back…..I believe it's $5.00 to the Malecon.

Upon arrival, I suggest you exit the airport and walk out onto the major street in front of the airport and hail a cab, it costs $10.00 to get you to the resort. My cousin and his family did that and it cost $10.00 total for the 5 of them. If you call the resort, which is what I did, they will provide a shuttle pickup for $14.00 a person, but it's far more economical to hail a cab away from the airport. I am not sure what the cabs that are inside the airport grounds cost, so if you choose to go with them be aware that they may charge per person. The return to the airport from the resort cost $10.00 for 3 of us.

The resort itself is nice, it's not as nice as the Villa Del Palmar Flamingos in Nuevo Vallarta but it's nice. It's clean and they've tried to update the decor a bit. My room was a one bedroom suite, in building with rooms starting with 1. If you've stayed at the Villa del Palmar in Cabo, you'll be a little disappointed with the Vallarta resort. The Cabo rooms are way bigger, more square footage. The One bedroom suite in Cabo has two bathrooms and a murphy bed in the living room and the Vallarta one has only one bathroom and a foldout couch in the living room. Our room had a flat screen T.V. but I met a family that was staying in, building with rooms starting with 3, in a studio and she said their T.V. was old and not flat.

The staff was awesome, very welcoming and attentive! From Jose Carlos, who checked us in to Bertha, our housekeeper they just made us feel at home and nothing we requested was beyond them.

I only ate at the resort once, after check in we were hungry and had dinner at their italian buffet and I was not impressed the food was okay, a little bland I thought…..it was expensive and drinks were not included. I think it was $45 a person. The bars/restaurants in the resort close at 10 p.m., so if you get the all inclusive option be aware that you will not get anything after 10 p.m.

They hold all their daily activities at the center pool and beach…..the center pool is deep, 6ft/7ft. If you have kids and they don't know how to swim, make sure you bring them flotation devices or be in the pool with them. While we were there we saw a young girl almost drown who was saved by her father or significant other. The kiddie pool, is over by the store across from the gym. The beach area is small, they have vendors on the beach, if you don't want to be bothered by vendors you can sit in a section where they aren't permitted to enter.

My husband used the gym everyday, he said it was sufficient. Didn't go to the spa so I can't say anything about it.

There is a laundromat onsite but it's expensive, to wash a load is $4/$5 and to dry the load is $4/$5. There is an attendant there that if you tip them they will take care of your laundry for you if you don't want to wait around for it to be finished.

We had a great time! And, it was economical because we had breakfast and lunch in our room and only went out to dinner a few times! Stocked the fridge with beer and fixings for margaritas and it was Fiesta time….all the time! Be aware there is no ice machine so you'll have to buy ice…..and bottled water. I don't think you can drink the tap water there but I didn't ask so I don't know.

If it's your first time going to Vallarta and you plan on going out and doing the sights, clubs etc…then don't get the all inclusive. We got it in Cabo and we still ended up stocking the fridge with beer, drinks snacks, because everything on the resort closed at 10. And, on the days we went somewhere we ate out and spent more money, so…..it didn't benefit us which is why I didn't get it in Vallarta.

Only real complaint I have are all the timeshare pushing going on over there…..everywhere you go, they're pushing timeshares! Even the Alamo rent a car rep was offering $300.00 off a car rental for the week if we went to a presentation…..it's SCANDALOUS!

Sorry, this review is all over the place,I haven't written that many…but, I hope it helps you!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank QueenAdriana
Write a ReviewReviews (2,664)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Everything was great, we went on a family trip and it has a great location if you are interested going to teh supermarker or the malla, downtown, airport is very close and the down town is not so far.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Itsi L
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Over the years, we have stayed here, maybe 10 times (?). Each stay has been good. This one was a little better; easier on the timeshare pressure (one "no gracious" was enough), a MUCH improved animation team around the pool. Omar and his team were the best I have ever experienced at the VDP. They offered varied experiences and tried to get people involved. Great senses of humor and they had a good ability to relate to all guests, young and old.
Jamie and Joel, who have been there forever, are always welcoming at arrival. i so look forward to being told "welcome home" when I arrive.
We never eat on-site, except pool-side burger or nachos, but do participate in beverage service. Service is always excellent and drinks during Happy Hour are reasonably priced.
We had a two-bedroom. It was recently renovated and was very nice.
Our maid was very thorough and very trustworthy; watches and money left out without a problem. A gratuity next to the sink ensured that the dishes were done daily. Well worth the money.
As is always the case, the resort is quiet. There is the occasional loud group but it never lasts more than "one rowdy night" (or so we have experienced)
We spent one week at the VDP and had a 2nd week at another highly rated resort down the street. it did not take us long to wish that we had booked the VDP for the entire 2 weeks.
The refurbishment is slated for this summer/fall and we will go back soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank erkevin
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I have been to Mexico several times, but this was certainly the best. Puerto Vallarta is a fantastic location, having mountains, beaches with small waves inside the bay, short run to big surf waves nearby, and many activities to partake of in this tropical location. The Villa del Palmar turned out to be an ideal place to stay, with pool and beach right outside the room, a couple of good restaurants inside, and quick access to local transportation to pretty much anywhere. We had the option to go to the larger all-inclusives up north of the city, but I am very happy with our choice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank MikeRo77
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have owned a timeshare at this Villa del Palmar since 1989, but had not been to the resort in 15 years. I was surprised at the great upkeep, cleanliness and positive attitudes of all the staff. A pool have been added, as well as two restaurants. One is on the beach and serves wonderful fresh fish for lunch. The other is between the two pools, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner with a cuisine that changes daily. The food was very good, as was the service. The Mexican restaurant serves lunch and dinner and it was also wonderful.
This is mainly a timeshare property, but numerous visitors were are package tours from all over the United States. The rooms were clean, the air conditioning system was very good, considering the humidity it worked well at all times. There is a tour desk, with numerous tours to keep the customers occupied. They have a daily schedule of activities at the resort; their Bingo game left much to be desired. Water exercise class was fun. Nightly entertainment is a Buffet Dinner with a show. We did not participate in any of those evenings, as no one in our group liked Buffets and the shows were very touristy. The town is not too far away, and worth a trip. Interesting shops and restaurants line the streets.
The only negatives are the oppressive heat and humidity in the summer months, the rain that washes the dirt into the ocean and the hawkers on the beach. If you are seeking a beautiful beach and clean ocean water do not go to Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: All rooms are centrally located around the pool. Our room was on the 5th floor in the original buil...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank G168IRmicheleb
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My 1st time in Puerto Vallarta. Upon arrival, the staff met us with cold water bottles and towels and had someone drive us to the resort. Check in was fast and very efficient. We had a room overlooking the pools, palm trees, and the sandy beach. Our intention was to disconnect from our busy L.A. lifestyle and the staff was available to help achieve this. Room service was available 24 hours a day. Food was amazing! Enjoyed a soothing hot stone massage at the spa! Took the Ritmos De La Isla(Calletas Island) Tour! Yes. We attended a timeshare presentation at Villa Del Palmar Flamingo Resort but that was enjoyable. Free breakfast and mimosas....and got to see some flamingos...will definitely go back to this place!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The hotel was very beautiful with three pools and the main one overlooking the ocean. You can literally walk unto the beach. When we arrived we had VIP check-in which was great since the lines at the front desk was long. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. They arranged most of our tours around the city. There was a grocery on the property and the food at the restaurants was great. We particularly loved the Mexican Fiesta around the pool, where there was a typical Mexican feast with live dancers and mariachi singers. There was also a Caribbean Theme party on the beach which was also great. I would recommend doing one of their themed parties. It was definitely worth the money. Our room had a great view overlooking the main pool and the ocean in the distance. I would also recommend a trip to Las Calletas island and land tour which takes you to most of the main attractions around Puerto Vallarta. It was my first trip and it definitely won't be the last.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family