“Delightful Mexican Vacation"” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
San Angelo
“Delightful Mexican Vacation"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We spent a week at Villa del Palmar with good friends and enjoyed ourselves very much. This was our first trip to Puerto Vallarta and we had a great time. The resort is very well maintained and the staff is so pleasant. The food at the restaurants on property was outstanding and we especially enjoyed "El Patron". The availability of three pools (one with high activity, one quiet & one near the beach) was great. Our two-bedroom accommodations were very comfortable and having balconies on two sides was very nice. We looked out over the pool, hot tub and restaurant area but were never disturbed by noise. I understand that all or part of the resort is, or soon will be, shut down for renovations for a couple months. I view that as a good example of the care & concern that ownership takes in the maintenance of this property. I have seen much newer properties that are not in as good a condition with no plans for renovation. Villa del Palmar is in good hands. I would be very interested in returning after renovations have been completed just to see where they found areas to improve.

Room Tip: "Ask for a corner room with balconies on two sides."
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
5 Thank TexasHawkeye

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
Chicago IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have been coming here regularly for over 12 years and I have always arrived and left like i was a family member at Villa del Palmar. I am greeted by name, served by name and wished a safe trip back home by name. I feel safe, welcome and relaxed in Puerto Vallarta as well as at the resort. The resort will be undergoing remodeling and structural changes from mid-August to mid-October; I am excited to see the changes they make to enhance my "home away from home". I have never cared for the large resorts nor the really small ones either. This mid-sized resort is a gem I am glad with whom I have timeshare ownership. It is definitely worth a look if you are looking to come for a visit to PV....

Room Tip: The larger rooms are in the outlying buildings surrounding the pool.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Rooms
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 Thank sechap
Aurora, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Loved the option of a "quiet pool" and the busy pool. Enjoyed the shrimp burrito at El Patron and the restaurant nearest to the ocean. Our rooms were clean and comfortable and the grounds were well-maintained. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. I liked being close to town and not far from the Marina for shopping. All in all, I would love to stay there again. For the money, it was a great vacation with dear friends!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Nancy O
Hillsborough, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed at the VDP during early August and enjoyed our stay very much for the most part.

The pros: extremely clean, though crowded, main pool with a slide kept our son happy, food at El Patron was very good, prices were fair and great bargains at happy hour, waitstaff at restaurants and pool were pleasant, housekeeper assigned to our room was wonderful, valet staff was helpful with taxi service, the renovated rooms were gorgeous as were the grounds. We did not visit the two other pools as we could not tear our son away from the pool slide! We felt safe, the resort is gated and guarded by uniformed security. Among the standouts: Daniel, our waiter was phenomenal, Gustavo, at the front desk, was extremely accommodating and Sebastiana, our housekeeper, was excellent and very friendly.

The cons: beach was a bit dirty, security was more concerned with cotton being worn in the pool(?) than with obnoxious, drunk guests jumping off the rock formation at the peril of themselves and other guests and children though they did put a stop to it eventually. But they did not even once during our stay, even when we brought it to their attention, enforce their "strict" policy against rude people "reserving" lounge chairs with towels for hours with no intention of occupying those chairs until hours later. Though crowded, we didn't see many other timeshare owners during our stay, which was disappointing. We look forward to running into them. A lot of singles seemed to occupy the resort during our stay. Wi-fi charge per day was steep.

Puerto Vallarta is gorgeous! The Malecon and open air markets are a must! Overall, the Villa del Palmar is a good choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, building 2 was great and completely re-done.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Tammy L
Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Location is great for a family vacation.. Pool and beach activities were fun for all ages. Liked that you could use the facilities of Villa del Mar next door. The resort is located close enough to PV that it is an easy bus or taxi ride to be in the middle of everything

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank swelsh0330
United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Villa del Palmar in Puerto Vallarta is a reasonable place, good rooms, spacious property. However, it is not worth your vacation $$ especially if you are traveling from a different country. In the same amount you can go to a much nicer place in a different city like Cancun where white fine sand will fill you with awe.

Pros - good villas, nice ambiance, reasonable entertainment, ok food, friendly staff
Cons - low quality beach (not at all the type you would expect after flying for hours and spending so much), very aggressive hawkers making it more stressful than relaxing, very aggressive sales agents who will seek you out to hard sell even inside the property - again when you are trying to relax, waiters constantly asking you to fill in tips. What is worse, they automatically add a hefty gratuity for "other staff". Constant pressure to give them more and more $$.

If all this was not enough a really inappropriate group of youngsters were staying there at the same time. If you are there with your family, you don't want to be subjected to spring breakers and their drunken and inappropriate behavior. The staff didn't seem to notice or care making it all the more uncomfortable.

All in all, with low quality beaches and an environment where you are $$ rather than customers makes you wonder if there are better ways to spend your time and money. The local action is limited, making it very boring in the evenings. At the end of it you go to a beach resort for good beaches and a good resort. Neither was the case here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Ardent_traveler7
West Covina, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is my 6th time vacationing in Puerto Vallarta and the 2nd time staying at Villa Del Palmar, the last time I stayed there was 20 years ago. The hotel is in a great location, it's close to the Malecon,the airport, and it's practically across the street from Walmart and Sam's Club, which is great if you are planning to save some money by stocking up the kitchen in your room. If you don't want to rent a car, don't worry, it's not that expensive to cab it or bus it $4.00 will get you from the resort to Walmart/Sam's Club and $4.00 back…..I believe it's $5.00 to the Malecon.

Upon arrival, I suggest you exit the airport and walk out onto the major street in front of the airport and hail a cab, it costs $10.00 to get you to the resort. My cousin and his family did that and it cost $10.00 total for the 5 of them. If you call the resort, which is what I did, they will provide a shuttle pickup for $14.00 a person, but it's far more economical to hail a cab away from the airport. I am not sure what the cabs that are inside the airport grounds cost, so if you choose to go with them be aware that they may charge per person. The return to the airport from the resort cost $10.00 for 3 of us.

The resort itself is nice, it's not as nice as the Villa Del Palmar Flamingos in Nuevo Vallarta but it's nice. It's clean and they've tried to update the decor a bit. My room was a one bedroom suite, in building with rooms starting with 1. If you've stayed at the Villa del Palmar in Cabo, you'll be a little disappointed with the Vallarta resort. The Cabo rooms are way bigger, more square footage. The One bedroom suite in Cabo has two bathrooms and a murphy bed in the living room and the Vallarta one has only one bathroom and a foldout couch in the living room. Our room had a flat screen T.V. but I met a family that was staying in, building with rooms starting with 3, in a studio and she said their T.V. was old and not flat.

The staff was awesome, very welcoming and attentive! From Jose Carlos, who checked us in to Bertha, our housekeeper they just made us feel at home and nothing we requested was beyond them.

I only ate at the resort once, after check in we were hungry and had dinner at their italian buffet and I was not impressed the food was okay, a little bland I thought…..it was expensive and drinks were not included. I think it was $45 a person. The bars/restaurants in the resort close at 10 p.m., so if you get the all inclusive option be aware that you will not get anything after 10 p.m.

They hold all their daily activities at the center pool and beach…..the center pool is deep, 6ft/7ft. If you have kids and they don't know how to swim, make sure you bring them flotation devices or be in the pool with them. While we were there we saw a young girl almost drown who was saved by her father or significant other. The kiddie pool, is over by the store across from the gym. The beach area is small, they have vendors on the beach, if you don't want to be bothered by vendors you can sit in a section where they aren't permitted to enter.

My husband used the gym everyday, he said it was sufficient. Didn't go to the spa so I can't say anything about it.

There is a laundromat onsite but it's expensive, to wash a load is $4/$5 and to dry the load is $4/$5. There is an attendant there that if you tip them they will take care of your laundry for you if you don't want to wait around for it to be finished.

We had a great time! And, it was economical because we had breakfast and lunch in our room and only went out to dinner a few times! Stocked the fridge with beer and fixings for margaritas and it was Fiesta time….all the time! Be aware there is no ice machine so you'll have to buy ice…..and bottled water. I don't think you can drink the tap water there but I didn't ask so I don't know.

If it's your first time going to Vallarta and you plan on going out and doing the sights, clubs etc…then don't get the all inclusive. We got it in Cabo and we still ended up stocking the fridge with beer, drinks snacks, because everything on the resort closed at 10. And, on the days we went somewhere we ate out and spent more money, so…..it didn't benefit us which is why I didn't get it in Vallarta.

Only real complaint I have are all the timeshare pushing going on over there…..everywhere you go, they're pushing timeshares! Even the Alamo rent a car rep was offering $300.00 off a car rental for the week if we went to a presentation…..it's SCANDALOUS!

Sorry, this review is all over the place,I haven't written that many…but, I hope it helps you!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank QueenAdriana
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#27 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,371 reviews
Los Arcos Suites
Los Arcos Suites
#24 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great...
#20 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,370 reviews
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
#35 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,372 reviews
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Mexican Charm All Inclusive
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Me...
#22 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,495 reviews
Villa del Palmar Flamingos

Been to Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!