“Horrible”

Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #44 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Everything was bad, the service was bad, the food was horrible, we were in two rooms and both of them had cockroaches. I even got a bug inside my enfrijoladas and no one cared enough to make it up to me. For dinner we made a reservation for the italian restaurant and the servers where rude and trying to rush us to order and eat quick, I guess because they wanted to go. We gave the hotel a couple of chances it was not a one time mistake, they where several of them.Its unfair because my family and I come all the way from San Francisco and it is not a cheap or quick flight. We where hoping to have a nice place to stay and relax and we got the opposite. I highly recomend not to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Carolinamcw
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Carolinamcw,

On behalf of Crown Paradise Club I would like to apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Our primary goal is to provide an unforgettable experience to all our guests and for them to want to return again and again. It appears that we did not succeed in your case.
As any other property located in tropical climate we proactively treat all areas of the hotel against cockroaches, this is not necessarily the indicative of the uncleanliness, these insects are native to Mexico and tend to wander indoors during the rainy summer months. Please know that we do work closely with a pest control service to try and keep them outdoors.

If you would like to contact me directly as to provide me with more details, this would help us in seeing where some guests are unsatisfied and would help us in making changes in the future.

Katarina P

Write a ReviewReviews (1,842)

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I read and read and read about this hotel prior to our vacation and ALMOST changed hotels based on the reviews. I'm glad I didn't! I was MORE than pleased with our recent visit, July 21-28. Here is what I had read and here is what I found.

TA Review - Hotel was dirty. My Review -We NEVER found an area that was dirty. In fact, I saw people cleaning all day. Yes. There cups on the beach but those were picked up throughout the day and it was clean in the morning. It is to be expected that cups would blow away in the ocean breeze. Cleanliness 5/5

TA Review - Horrible food. My Review - My husband and I traveled with our 5 children, 4 boys ages 8-14 and a daughter who is 17, and my 31 yo niece. There were AT LEAST 12-16 food choices in the main restaurant at each meal . This is NOT including the children's buffet, dessert bar, salad bar, or the outside beach side restaurant (which only serves lunch times). We ate at the Italian restaurant, the French restaurant and dined in the Japanese restaurant for breakfast one morning. I found everything to be very clean. And there were many choices. My children never went hungry and they found something they liked at each meal. The bar has drinks for children and my children enjoyed trying the different styles of drinks each day. 5/5

TA Review - Horrible service. My Review - We had an exceptional waiter, Carlos. He alone can get a rating of 10/5. We did sit in a different section 3 different times. I will say that in the back area, the service was not as prompt as we received with Carlos. So, if you don't like where you are sitting, ask for a different area. It is not assigned seating but we become creatures of habit and typically sit in the same place each time. If you don't like the service, move. Find Carlos and tell them his friends from the US said hello! Rating 3.5/5 from other waiters Bar Staff 5/5

We found the staff in the other areas also very helpful. Well, there might be one grumpy man who works days at the front desk. He was helpful but not chipper. Otherwise, everyone greeted us. In fact, we were told NO LESS than a dozen times upon our departure, that they hoped we would come back.

The activities staff fabulous! There are so many activities to do! Water polo, water volleyball, sand volleyball, futbol/soccer, water aerobics, night actives geared for families from 9-10 and adults only from 10-2. The staff knew our children's names and looked for them when starting new activities. Get involved at the towel desk and ask about the activities. If you can't find something to do beach side, you just aren't looking. Rating 5/5 **Special mention of Martin, Xavi, Memo, and Rosie

TA Review - No beach chairs My Review - This is true. However, after reading the reviews I went in understanding the system so the early riser in our family went down each morning and put a towel on our chair - even on the days we knew we wouldn't be there until after lunch. If you want a chair, keep a beach towel from day to day and reserve your chair. Don't get frustrated. Just know that's what everyone else does.

TA Review - Horrible rooms. My Review - We were moved to the club member side b/c our reservation only allowed for 3 beds. We needed 4. The room was very plain. But it was always clean. We usually had to ask for the appropriate # of towels each day. But who cares! I'm on vacation. Where did I have to be? We had to wait for the room b/c of the error but the correction was for sure an upgrade as we were placed in a suite. I did email ahead to reserve a room on an upper level but did not get my request. Again. We were in our room very little so no big deal to us. 4/5 *If you have room, pack a small fan. It was not quite as cool as we would have liked it.

What I wish I had known:

*I didn't need to change my US $ to pesos. Everyone was fine with American $.
*The activities desk closes at 5:00 each day. We bought a futbol/soccer ball at the local WalMart b/c my boys wanted to play in the evening.
*My boys could have taken tennis lessons on day one and practiced all week. If you're coming from the US, the cost of lessons is very little compared to US rates. $25/hour. GREAT instructor.
*We spent 95% of our time at the beach. I packed too many "normal" clothes.
*Bring plenty of sunscreen or plan to walk to WalMart for a reasonable price. On www.clinicalhcgdiet.com $25-$30/bottle
*Don't assume that the excursions offered at check in are the only/best ones. We found a guy names Eli on the beach and he provided a great day out. Much more reasonable in price and a longer stay for snorkeling than the commercial deals offered.

I hope this review helps others. If you want a lush room and Five Star dining, this is probably not your hotel. BUT if you want a gorgeous ocean view, beautiful facility, gorgeous/clean pools, family oriented and safe place for your family, this is your place! We don't usually vacation 2x anywhere but we WILL go back here.

Room Tip: Request an upper level room. It would be the best ocean view.
15  Thank Candace F

Hello Candace F,

Thank you for sharing your great experience following your week at Crown Paradise Club. We are pleased to learn that our rooms were comfortable for your family, that you found our food selection to your taste and areas always clean.
We appreciate you sharing how much you enjoyed our activities as well as the attentive service you received from the staff. We are grateful for your five star review and can’t wait to have you back as our guest. Thank you for recommending us!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I stayed there from Saturday to Sunday in room 345 as other family members were staying there. As soon as we got there, the bellboys were nowhere to be found and no one so even looked at you (and much less greeted you) as soon as you entered. The lobby reminded me of a cheap vegas hotel in high season and after waiting in line for 20 min to check-in, we were told we had to wait until 4pm to receive our room.

Once we were finally able to enter our room, it smelled like pure mold, the shower was dirty or moldy (could not decipher) and there were ants everywhere!

Conclusion: service is horrible and rooms are even worse.

3  Thank fabiola612
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear fabiola612,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. We’re truly sorry for a disappointing experience you had, and for not being able to meet your expectations.

We have checked the room you stayed in, and noted some humidity you mentioned, unfortunately due to very humid climate this can sometimes occur. Our housekeeping staff has diligently cleaned the room and prepared it for our future guests. We also haven’t had any other report in this area or this room regarding the ants, but will surely increase our insect control.

We apologize that our level of service was not up to our usual high standards, we have been having high occupancy which affected our daily operation in terms of rooms being assigned a little bit after 3pm which is our regular check-in time, but we have hired more staff recently and hope this wouldn’t be an issue any longer.

Thank you again for posting your comments, I truly hope that you will give our hotel a try again in the future and give us another opportunity to provide you with the excellent vacation experience that we are capable of providing.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We've have stayed up and down Banderas Bay from La Tropicana to the Palladium Punta Mita, but we found this location special for many reasons. Now, we have stayed at better hotels, but we visit Puerto Vallarta for the friendly people and the scenery. This hotel is in the middle of all that we come to PV for. It is treat to wake up in the morning to see the view whole town in the shadow of the lingering clouds from your balcony. In the evening you can watch the stunning sunset transform itself for about 45 minutes in a display of color. We were able to go to the places we enjoy like Our Lady of Guadalupe, the malecon, Old Town, Bucerias and the Marina by simply taking the bus or taxi. We went somewhere every day after an enjoyable breakfast at the family hotel next door. We looked forward to returning to the good service, relaxing atmosphere and cold beer of our hotel in the afternoon.

Most reviews are accurate, but if you have reasonable expectations, none of the negative will take away from your vacation. We will not return to this hotel, only because we want to stay longer in one of the condos close to the property. frj

Room Tip: We liked the 2nd floor view and easy access to the lobby, elevator, and even a back way to the siste...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debra R
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Hello Debra R,

Astounding views are one of the things that make this place so amazing. I really enjoyed you describing it and am glad that you experienced the good service and relaxing atmosphere here at the hotel.
We are however sad that you won’t be joining us in the future but nevertheless appreciate your time to share your impressions with us.

Thank you for staying at the Crown Paradise Puerto Vallarta!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had such a Great time here we would stay here again the staff would almost fight on who was going to wait on us we liked this one restaurant on the property that did not have Coke products but as soon as they seen us come in they would hurry and go get it from the outside bar and bring it to us. The rooms was clean and the kids could order room service and eat hamburgers and pizza for no extra charge.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Darin P
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Hello Darin P,

Thank you for your kind words especially regarding the kind attention you received from our staff. It is our greatest pleasure to pamper our guests and I think we succeeded in your case!
It pleases me greatly to hear that you and your family had a wonderful vacation with us. This is the experience we aim to give all of our guests!
It was our pleasure to be your hosts and we look forward to your return in the future.

Warmest wishes,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

just got back from 10 days at the crown paradise. Not bad for what it is. We got a great deal, so we really couldn't complain, and i had read the reviews so I knew some of it's shortcomings. The 4 of us had room 227, great location if you can get it, wonderful view of beach and infinity pool. Room was good enuf. Clean, and staff were quick to bring up needed towels or toilet paper. Beds were fine, they fit mom and kid, dad and kid quite easily. Most channels are in spanish, but for english just adjust the SAP.
The pools were nice, if not smaller than what i have usually seen. The bar was understaffed and you have to speak up, but they were sweet. They deserve tips. Imagine having to make labor intensive kids drinks all day. The food in the buffet was fine, not fantastic, but more than enuf choices for everyone to find something. Fruit, meat, salads, rices, pastas, fish, tacos, desserts, it is not a gorgeous layout, but more than adequate, don't worry.
The beach was nice, the water very warm in July. I have no problem with vendors, but as others have said, they were out of control. One every few minutes gets to be aggravating when you are trying to read or just relax. I try to be polite and say no thank you each time, but even I began to ignore them.
Kids had a little spa where girls (and boys I suppose) could get mani pedis and massages, very cute. Had a massage myself at the spa, very nice 50 dollars for 2 one hour massages!
The staff in the buffet and the cleaning staff seem to work hard, the animation staff seem to be run by teenagers who could have cared less. Many times they did not seem to know what was going on in their own hotel.
All in all not a bad hotel. As a jump off base for your vacation, it is fine. Not fancy, but in some ways it was nice because you didnt need full makeup or fancy dress to fit in. Don't go expecting the world, and you will be happy.

7  Thank robinsonandwarner
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Hello robinsonandwarner,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

We’re glad that your room was comfortable for you and your family and that its great location provided a wonderful view of the beach and infinity pool.

We also appreciate your feedback in regards to your experience at the beach and sincerely apologize that it was not a pleasurable experience due to many vendors offering their goods.

We greatly appreciate hearing from our guests so that we can constantly improve our guests' experience. Thank you for making us a part of your family holiday and we hope to host you again soon so that we can truly exceed your expectations.

Best,
Katarina

Reviewed 9 July 2014

A short trip from the airport, nestled next to where the cruise ships dock, which is cool for the kids to see so close and they are so big. Traveled with wife and 3 kids 5,6 and 7 for 10 days.
Room looked out on the street that is traveled to reach the lobby. You have to remember that this isn't like being in a resort area, you're in town. Buffet got very repetitive, food very average.
The room was average also, perhaps on the small side. Kids had their beds in their own little area with TV. Beach wasn't bad and you can walk quite a ways. We have been to many places throughout Mexico and Dominican Republic, but I have never been to a resort where their are as many vendors as this place. There is a rope to perhaps keep them away, but they cross over anyway. I don't usually have a problem with the vendors but this was ridiculous. I was approached in 1 day by as many that would normally total a week's worth elsewhere.
We did take the public bus into downtown PV to walk the Malecon, and to get dinner, that was fun and easy to do.
Also, something that I would recommend, I rented a boat off the beach for 4 hours and cruised
the shore, he took us snorkeling down by Los Arcos, we got up close and personal with the humpback whales, some of the calves were jumping out of the water(breaching) and we were trolling for fish most of the time. We took some of the tuna we caught to the Japanese restaurant and they prepared a few different dishes for us, it was great! Also, when we returned to marina, there was a small restaurant outside the fence that we stopped in and they prepared a tuna ceviche with sides for a small fee.
Our kids enjoyed the water park but it could get very crowded.
In summary, it was OK but I wouldn't rush to go back

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Hello bambamohio,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. We would like to thank you for staying with us.
We do regret that you didn't feel that your stay was as spectacular as we would have hoped, and that you found our rooms and food selection only average.
We are so sorry to hear that you were disturbed by vendors on the beach, and apologize if this prevented you from having a relaxing stay.

We appreciate all of your feedback and hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Katarina