Well, were to begin. I am still here and don’t have to wait to leave to write this. We have travelled the world and done everything from the National Geographic thing to total pamper and luxury. Sure there are incrementally more luxurious hotels, more spectacular locals, more exciting flora and fauna – but this was not a Galapagos Island or Ugandan safari trek. This was a winter break from DC and for that purpose we rate this resort up there at the top of our list. That list for us includes the Rayavadee Krabi, Paradise Cove Mauritius, the Palace at Sun City South Africa, Amarvilas and Rambagh Palace, Leela Palace India, Table Bay Cape Town, La Casitas Village PR, dozens of Ritz’s and Seasons etc. We always look for that point of diminishing return where the value is at the point of having to spend gobs more for a little better – we don’t need a little better for twice the price. For us Casa Velas was the luxury value – where spending $300 – 500 more per day wasn’t really going to buy us anything that much better.
Casa Velas is an intimate, spectacular property, spacious, warm and welcoming. It only has 80 accommodations, meaning that for all these facilities and staff the maximum you would have is 160 people – usually golfing, touring, trekking, beaching or lounging. We never saw more than 20 – 25 people anywhere – usually less – even though they were 80%. Right now I am sitting by the main pool and there are 14 people spread out amongst the loungers and dual cabana chairs. We did visit the sister luxury property – Grand Velas and for us it was too big and lacking in something. Think Crystal Cruises vs. Seabourn, Regent or Silverseas. We prefer intimacy and “Boutique”.
Everything is cooked to order. No buffets in site. We also enjoy the low rise garden/villa concept, open air halls, Spanish/Mexican design. We had a Grand Class Suite Plus – with “immersion pool. For us, not worth it – but since we were on an upgrade a nice addition. We only used it twice but it looked nice on the large balcony.
The staff are wonderful, attentive, caring and actually seem to enjoy their jobs. My BS alarm wasn’t ringing with false “happiness” doing their jobs. The food is fantastic and we sampled everything. If we didn’t like something it was not for lack of quality or presentation – it was personal taste. The dislike of a dish was very rare and we just ordered something else. We found the house wine selection to be varied and something for every taste. No swill served. Drinks – name it and you can have it (within reason). Johnny Walker Black – no problem and other top liquors served. There were also additional fee wine lists. We enjoyed having the beach club at separate location and we walked back and forth each time.
Stefano was great and informative in arranging all our tours – and they were great. I would also recommend anyone explore their resort program (it’s not exactly timeshare but a variation called fractional). I ran the figures and it was well worth it but not for our lifestyle. For those who plan to visit particular resorts year after year (including an extensive high level luxury exchange worldwide, the numbers seem to work well).
We are returning in May with my daughters so they can have this experience. (It is an adults only resort).
At the resort pool, beach club pool, beach club restaurant and resort restaurant you always had the feeling of being in a private exclusive enclave – which is exactly the type of vacations we like.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imagine the perfect resort retreat in the Mexican Pacific Riviera, where luxury and romanticism combine in perfect harmony. Resembling a private estate, Casa Velas offers Condé Nast and AAA award-winning service in a casually elegant and intimate boutique atmosphere in Puerto Vallarta. This boutique hotel enjoys a garden setting surrounded by the Marina Vallarta Golf Course. A beachside experience waits just three minutes away at your private Ocean Club, with stunning sunsets and memorable dining. Unlimited transport is available day and night to whisk you to the golden shores of the Mexican Pacific. The Ocean Club is a place of supreme peace and tranquility for enjoying an infinity pool, jacuzzi and terrace with impressive ocean views. Our luxurious getaway invites you to enjoy the comforting sounds and vibrant colors of the tropics as you discover the true meaning of relaxation and luxury at an all-inclusive Puerto Vallarta resort paradise. Recently chosen as one of the Top 10 hotels in Mexico and the Caribbean in three categories - Luxury, Relaxation/Spa and Hotel for Romance - by TripAdvisor®, Casa Velas is an enchanting destination where simple pleasures rejuvenate your mind, body and soul. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Casa Velas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Velas Boutique Resort
- Hotel Casa Velas Boutique