“Great Winter Getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Washington, DC
“Great Winter Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Well, were to begin. I am still here and don’t have to wait to leave to write this. We have travelled the world and done everything from the National Geographic thing to total pamper and luxury. Sure there are incrementally more luxurious hotels, more spectacular locals, more exciting flora and fauna – but this was not a Galapagos Island or Ugandan safari trek. This was a winter break from DC and for that purpose we rate this resort up there at the top of our list. That list for us includes the Rayavadee Krabi, Paradise Cove Mauritius, the Palace at Sun City South Africa, Amarvilas and Rambagh Palace, Leela Palace India, Table Bay Cape Town, La Casitas Village PR, dozens of Ritz’s and Seasons etc. We always look for that point of diminishing return where the value is at the point of having to spend gobs more for a little better – we don’t need a little better for twice the price. For us Casa Velas was the luxury value – where spending $300 – 500 more per day wasn’t really going to buy us anything that much better.

Casa Velas is an intimate, spectacular property, spacious, warm and welcoming. It only has 80 accommodations, meaning that for all these facilities and staff the maximum you would have is 160 people – usually golfing, touring, trekking, beaching or lounging. We never saw more than 20 – 25 people anywhere – usually less – even though they were 80%. Right now I am sitting by the main pool and there are 14 people spread out amongst the loungers and dual cabana chairs. We did visit the sister luxury property – Grand Velas and for us it was too big and lacking in something. Think Crystal Cruises vs. Seabourn, Regent or Silverseas. We prefer intimacy and “Boutique”.

Everything is cooked to order. No buffets in site. We also enjoy the low rise garden/villa concept, open air halls, Spanish/Mexican design. We had a Grand Class Suite Plus – with “immersion pool. For us, not worth it – but since we were on an upgrade a nice addition. We only used it twice but it looked nice on the large balcony.

The staff are wonderful, attentive, caring and actually seem to enjoy their jobs. My BS alarm wasn’t ringing with false “happiness” doing their jobs. The food is fantastic and we sampled everything. If we didn’t like something it was not for lack of quality or presentation – it was personal taste. The dislike of a dish was very rare and we just ordered something else. We found the house wine selection to be varied and something for every taste. No swill served. Drinks – name it and you can have it (within reason). Johnny Walker Black – no problem and other top liquors served. There were also additional fee wine lists. We enjoyed having the beach club at separate location and we walked back and forth each time.

Stefano was great and informative in arranging all our tours – and they were great. I would also recommend anyone explore their resort program (it’s not exactly timeshare but a variation called fractional). I ran the figures and it was well worth it but not for our lifestyle. For those who plan to visit particular resorts year after year (including an extensive high level luxury exchange worldwide, the numbers seem to work well).

We are returning in May with my daughters so they can have this experience. (It is an adults only resort).

At the resort pool, beach club pool, beach club restaurant and resort restaurant you always had the feeling of being in a private exclusive enclave – which is exactly the type of vacations we like.

Room Tip: Even their most basic rooms are beautiful.
5 Thank Bristow1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Ours was all inclusive- golf food etc. the food was top-notch, top shelf liquor, and terrific service. Really enjoyed the private beach club. It's quite low key and about a 20 minute ride into downtown, so you should be expecting peace and quiet if you're going to stay at this establishment- highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank James77755
casavelasmanagement, General Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, 29 January 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at Casa Velas!

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were happy with the property and the service especially, golf, our private Beach Club and our Emiliano Restaurant!

I look forward to sharing your comments with the entire team. We hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Best regards
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

My partner and I and a couple of friends are set to arrive at Casa Velas on 02.03. It is our first time to this property and we are very excited, after reading all the reviews, for our vacation!!! I have to say that we're all very impressed with what we've experienced so far. The other day I sent an email inquiring about transfers to/from the airport. I received an reply from Concierge, Gabriela Lozano Trejo, about the service being provided by a professional transportation company that offers Private VIP service. I replied with our specifics and got a email from Chief Concierge, Jesus Vargas Aguiar. Jesus included in this email individual confirmation documents per party, a map of the PVR airport with instructions on how to connect with CV staff, and...here it comes...photos of the staff meeting us to take us to the transfer. To us that is INCREDIBLE customer service! This also shows the caliber of resort we're about to experience! The countdown is on!

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SEAtoJHM
Richland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

This is the second time my wife and I stay here and it continues to astonish us. The service is superb; they really go above and beyond with service. They have no beach at resort but their beach club, which could easily compete with Nikki Beach in Miami, is only 1a few minutes’ walk and they have a shuttle that takes you there if you don’t like to walk. We took the All inclusive package because the food and drinks are absolutely first class. It is simply a gorgeous hotel, they even grow their own produce to give you fresh veggies in your food. You can actually go behind the hotel and you would see it. Simply the best I have ever been to so far!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dana C
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for visiting us and for taking the time to share your experience.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the service and the treats we serve at the Restaurants and Bars. It was also great to read that your wife and friends had a great time at the botanical garden where we grow our own organic vegetables. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at our entire Casa Velas as we hope to welcome you back again in the future!!

Kind regards
Chapala, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

Casa Velas Jan 2-6, 2012 “Where Everyone is SPECIAL and treated like Royalty”

We drove at 7:30 am, Monday Jan 2, 2012 from Lake Chapala to Puerto Vallarta, we encountered barely any traffic thru Guadalajara etc. The temperature upon leaving here was 57F and upon arrival in Puerto Vallarta about 1:30p it was 83F. Very nice. We noted more traffic than we have ever seen heading North, most likely Nationals returning home from a long holiday spent at the beach.
As we drove down the road and saw the scrolled iron gates and Casa Velas sign, we knew we were at our home away from home! We were greeted at entrance to lobby by Roberto and Pablo. They unloaded our car with my overabundance of luggage. As usual they greeted us in English, were so friendly and welcomed us home.
We sat in the lobby on the couches to be checked in. Ana Maria was our check in girl. She applied our lovely AI bracelets and then told us about our room but alas it was a room with 2 double beds and we wanted a king bed, no problem. Ana Maria changed our room without any issue and gave us a great room…with the direction of Gabriella, the afternoon concierge.
Our luggage was brought to our room, which was lovely. On first floor overlooking golf course. Large bathroom with Jacuzzi, outdoor plunge pool and patio area and dining area, king size bed, and couch,..indoor dining area, mini frig., stocked with water, sodas, beer and juice. Plus a snack tray with chips, nuts, granola bars and such. The room was also stocked with shampoo, hair conditioner, body rinse, soap, dental rinse, tissues, an alarm clock and mini coffee maker. It is all explained to you if you are new to Casa Velas but being repeat, time and again, visitors, we needed no explanation.
Our first day was spent unpacking, enjoying our room, and eating and drinking along with mingling with other guests and of course saying our hellos and Feliz Ano’s to staff members who we have become friendly with. We were given the usual humble salute by staff, referred to by name, always nice touches. Everything was beautiful as usual, well maintained and with the ambiance of luxury and specialness. We had a great lunch at Emiliano Restaurant Spinach Salad Spa with Hazelnuts etc…and hubby had his favorite Shrimp Burrito which is just loaded with shrimp….We just relaxed during lunch after our long ride and Edgar our waiter was attentive but not intrusive.

There is one change and that is throughout I believe the Velas Resorts. The Internet is now handled by a third party so you go onto computer and pay by credit card. The fees are $10. Hr, $16/day, $64./5 days, or $79.95 per week US. You could at times get a weak signal in the lobby…without paying.

We dined for dinner again at Emiliano’s, which by the way is our absolute favorite restaurant in Puerto Vallarta. Gourmet food without the gourmet portions. International menu and always wonderful. It is open to the public, adults only and with previous reservations. The live music, while dining outside alongside the Koi ponds across from the pool was just so romantic. The Filet Mignon was so tender you did not need a knife, the Portabella Mushroom appetizer was so different and very tasty. The chef sends out a small sampler before your meal and it is always something very unusual and special. The Lamb Barbacoa was quite different, being shredded lamb, cooked in bag per say, I believe…You could eat it plain or in tortillas. Not my favorite meal but surely tasted good this first night. The Lobster and crab roll appetizer is always a favorite of mine…Dessert was another favorite Crème Brullee. So romantic dining, outside by candlelight accompanied by live music, good service by our long term waiter Bernadino, great drinks, and we are happy to be home. It feels good to feel so special in such a special place. Sometimes I wonder how it is I can feel like Royalty when I am just a commoner, but this is what Casa Velas Excellent service does to you! You will always find many repeat visitors…no wonder why! After dinner we sat in lobby bar and had a few drinks served by the infamous Benny, the bartender. A nice time was had and we called it a fairly early night after a long drive and early morning…..plus we could not wait to crawl into a Velas bed, they are always so comfortable, I truly must get one for my home…or maybe not since it is type of mattress that you crawl into and never want to get out of…so, so comfy! So we are at our home away from home Casa Velas for our first vacation of the new year, how fortunate we are…Feliz Ano!

Jan 3 Tuesday…Not a morning person so room service breakfast is my usual choice but today we have plans to meet with friends in Emiliano Restaurant for breakfast. A delicious, plentiful, and wonderful breakfast is spent with our friends. We have no big plans for the day except to talk with some staff we have not seen yet and to spend the day by the pool enjoying the resort and its service. We find Jesus, the best concierge ever. We have become friends and so we spend some time chatting with him. We have a few questions on some things we need and such and he is most informative. Later we spend a bit of time chatting and enjoying a drink in the lobby bar with Mr. Bonin, the manager. He is always so pleasant and wiling to talk and share information or such. He truly sets the example for a well run ship so to speak. In between we spent the time by the pool, under the cabanas on our loungers. Of course, no towel game here, the towels are on the loungers, replaced when you wish, and water in a small ice bucket is brought to you at your lounger, as are any drinks you order and even lunch. Hector was our waiter for the most part today and as is the trademark at Casa Velas his service was excellent. We had our lunch right by the pool. Cerviche, shrimp I think and it was very full of seafood and incredibly tasty. Later we went to our room which was all cleaned and restocked and we lounged on our patio, took a dip in our plunge pool and just relaxed….This is the life. Tis night we attended the Cocktail party in the lobby bar by the X-Mas tree, so pretty. Cuban music, a display of diamons and such from Diamonds International ( no sales pressure though), champagne, making friends, cigar rolling, hubby enjoys that. We befriended a nice honeymoon couple who were just loving Casa Velas. Imagine having your honeymoon here…wow! We have spent birthdays here and anniversaries but honeymoon, that would be a lifelong memory for sure. Dinner was great as we expected in Emiliano and our special treat for us tonight was Duck crepes, which we like a lot..The rest of our meal was delicious and drinks with Benny in the lobby bar were good as well.

Jan 4 Weds. This is the morning we had our breakfast via room service on our patio dining table…overlooking golf course. Took our time enjoying the relaxation and privacy and then we decided to head to reservations and make our plans for our return visit. We booked our next stay for a week after our anniversary so we will hold off and have a belated anniversary. We did this thru Carolina and we were unsure of what room we wanted so we made arrangements to return next week while at Velas Vaallarta to check out the Governor Suite, otherwise we love the Grand Class Plus suites/Villas. (We went back the following week and checked out the Governor Suite which is really nice and has a lovely view but in the end, hubby likes the Grand Class Plus Villa better so that is what we booked. I think maybe our visit after July we will try the Governor Suite. We got a little surprise while there and I did not have my camera of all times. Carolina showed us the Presidential Suite. No words to describe it except…WOW, WOW. It is on 4th floor, has 4 bedrooms, massive bathrooms, dining table for many, living room for many, overlooks all of grounds, is private , has incredible closet space and a huge balcony with a pool, not a plunge pool but a pretty good sized pool. You literally could just stay in the Suite and never leave. It is just incredible and they offer specials on it many times. I have made it a goal to one day stay in this Presidential Suite. ) Okay back to current vacation, we roamed around taking pictures and took some of the staff as well. Pablo & Jorge, the bellboys, greeted us each time we passed and asked if we needed anything at all…Jesus as always checked with us for any needs and Mr. Bonin is always appearing out of nowhere and checking on guests etc.
Now we had to head over to the Beach Club for sun and lunch. We had to get our Shrimp Tempura fix. Into the shuttle van we went and in moments we arrived at the beach club, with its pool, loungers, changing rooms, bathrooms, cabanas by pool and on beach, the ocean, the hot tubs, the service again. Our waiter Daniel made sure we had our Shrimp Tempura, helped us with some pictures, got our drinks, and we also had California Maki Sushi, which is surami, cream cheese, rice and fish sushi. Hubby ate that as I am not fond of sushi. The service was good, maybe a little slow on getting the drinks but nothing to complain about.
We again dined for dinner at Emiliano restaurant. Yurida , the hostess was just so sweet, friendly and accommodating to our wishes for seating. Bernadine was our waiter again along with some other great waiters and we even asked if the Chef would come out and take a picture with us and he did. We spent the later part of the night in the obby bar being waited on by Benny and socializing with the homeymooners we had met and some other folks.

Jan 5 Thursday…Time is just flying and frankly we have just been relaxing, de-stressing and being pampered. Today I am doing the Spa Ritual with an 50 minute Holistic Massage. This is my first time utilizing the spa facilities since the renovations. Wow, it is just wonderful. I was greeted by receptionists and filled out paperwork. Then introduced to my Spa Valet, Emma. I told her I wanted to take a lot of pictures in the area so would she help and she was all smiles. We went to the lockers, where I changed into robe and slippers, locked up my personal belongings and had a key to my own locker, a pretty one might I add, decorated with beads and such. Always a special touch around every corner here at Casa Velas. The Spa ritual is a mixture of different experiences before ( or after if you prefer) your massage. You wear you bathing suit for this part of the experience. First a cool rain shower in a round shower with cool water and a rain water showerhead…then onto the sauna ( nice and warm, I liked that), then another rain shower, not sure I am too fond of that though it is refreshing, the to the steam room , and another rain shower…then on to the Jacuzzi, which you do 4 stations or corners of, wonderful for working those muscles. Emma gave me a glass of chlorophyll water to drink while in the Jacuzzi, I could have stayed all day but hubby was waiting by pool or so I thought. Next we went down a spiral staircase, after I changed out of my wet bathing suit..to the masseuse, her name was Azucena and she did an incredible massage. You could choose a scent you liked, I chose Clove and it starte doff with a foot water ritual, then the massage and tingling chimes, soothing smells and sounds, oh maybe I should never leave. My massage was one of the best I have ever had..( you must get a massage here and try the spa ritual as well) but yes it ended and I relaxed I spa area afterwards and then much to my chagrin finally left and went to pool looking for hubby. There he was under a cabana, not waiting patiently for me but sleeping…LOL. He is not into spa or massages but he does love the gym at Casa Velas. He uses the machines, walking and weights etc. He said it is never busy or packed and always a very relaxing environment working out looking out at the lush foliage etc. He told me hector took good care of him and upon sitting there was Hector with a drink in hand for me. Yes, they remember what you drink here as well, so cool. We lounged the whole rest of day, knowing our royalty status would soon be up as tonight was our last night here tomorrow we moved over to Velas Vallarta, another excellent resort, sister to Casa Velas, but family oriented and not as personal. For dinner to our surprise they had the regular menu at Emiliano or a special Mexican Platter Variety for two. We ordered that and it was delicious. Came on a huge platter and had a variety of Mexican foods like tacos, empanadas, sopas, beans, tamales ( have never liked them but I tried them anyway and I loved how they were made here). The Platter was very heavy and large and we wanted a picture so we had poor Renee our waiter, hold it up a few times for our pictures, he was more than happy to accommodate us, even making suggestions for the pictures…After dinner we went to lobby bar for our last night and usually I begin to get sad thinking of leaving this special place but not this time since I already had my return reservations planned. ( well maybe a little sad, okay yes I was sad to be leaving …even though Velas Vallarta is wonderful too but in a different way). We spent the last night in that lobby bar till 2am taking with newly made friends. Finally we returned to room and packed…

Jan 6 Friday..Room service breakfast, walked around and said our goodbyes, had the bellboys load up our car for the 3 minute ride over to Velas Vallarta. Check out was a simple and quick process. Our stay was wonderful and we will be back over and over and over again.

Any negatives..uh..having to leave, being treated too special, seeing so many folks feeling like royalty, actually chatting with the manager, staff and Concierge and not so much about business, some nights a little slow on refilling those drinks, big complaint huh, okay just one, I know hard to believe but the only negative I had was the internet changes, otherwise as my other stays it was wonderful….I recommend this for honeymooners, anniversaries, special occasions, any vacation, romance, celebrations, recovery from an illness. It is for couples or girls trips or even guys trips since they have some incredible golf packages. Pretty much this hotel/resort is perfect for any adult since adults only!!!

Give this place a try and like Puerto Vallarta it gets in your soul and you will become part of a special family and be like me a repeat visitor!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, you need to specify your wants ie: plunge pool, jacuzzi etc. Beach club is...
2 Thank bezerk
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

Casa Velas is our home away from home. The staff is the main reason why we keep returning there-from Jorges and Pablo who look after you from the minute you arrive, to Jesus and Gabriella on the concierge desk, Freddy, Omar and Hector at the pool, Bennie at the lobby bar, Bernardino and all the staff in Emiliano's, as well as all the great housekeeping staff, front desk staff all the way up to the General Manager, Pierre, who oversees everyone in a very efficient yet pleasant manner. The food has really improved with the inspiration of the new chef, and the gardens remain the most beautiful we have seen in Mexico. We have been coming to Casa Velas for over 15 years, and it continues to improve. As owners, we have a definite interest in making sure that the quality remains high-and we are not disappointed, each time we go. First time visitors will be pleased and surprised at the amazing service and beautiful surroundings, and I am sure will want to return again. We can't wait to return in the spring and see all our friends again at our 'home away from home'. Arlene and Dick Seeley, Hamilotn, Ontario.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank seeleyr
Dear Guest

I Would like to extend good wishes from Casa Velas your home away from home thank you so much for such detailed feedback on your recent stay with us and we are indeed glad you enjoyed your holiday with us. Your comments on the layout of the property I am sure will be of benefit to others who read your review while I have also taken note of your comments on the entire staff service which I can assure you that I will share with them. Such feedback is invaluable to us and for this we are very grateful.

Once again thank you for your visit and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Kind Regards
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

We just returned from 6 days and 5 nights at Casa Velas and cannot say enough about the entire trip! Prior to arriving we contacted the hotel to see if they could recommend transportation from the airport. They happily set up a shuttle for us. From the moment we arrived it was as if we were old friends. Any time we saw staff members (bellboys, waiters, reception staff, or conceirge) they always greeted us by name. We traveled to the beach club daily and they were always eager to take us. We decided to explore the downtown and marina areas and prior to leaving the staff not only arranged our taxi but also gave recommendations on places to see while we were out. The food was amazing to say the least. We've been to many all inclusive resorts and weren't expecting much from the food but we were pleasantly surprised. Both Emiliano's and the Beach Club have delicious food and a great selection. If you go hungry here it is your own fault. When it was time to return home, we simply called the bellboy who came to our room to get our luggage and then personally drove us to the airport. We had an amazing time at Casa Velas and were incredibly sad to see our time end. We will return here without hesitation!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Casey W
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Casa Velas whilst I was pleased to read that you found the service to be great. It is very pleasurable to know that we did a good job and that we, as a team accomplished our main priority witch is offering the most relaxing and comfortable vacation experience for our guests.

Recognition is crucial to maintain the positive attitude and enthusiasm. I would like to mention that reviews like yours, gives us the certainty that we are heading on the right direction and that we are able to make our guests feel at home.

Once again thank you for taking the time of sharing your travel experiences in this forum. Hopefully we will have the honor of hosting you again during your next visit to Puerto Vallarta.

Regards,