“Rest & Relaxation Haven”
Review of Casa Velas

Casa Velas
Ranked #2 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Maplewood
“Rest & Relaxation Haven”
Reviewed 29 January 2013

This was our first visit to Casa Velas Boutique Hotel...the week of January 13, 2013. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by Angel Garcia, the hotel concierge, who facilitated our check- in process, provided us with a refreshing tropical beverage, briefly discussed the property features and personally escorted us to our suite. Our suite was well appointed with a king size bed, a patio area, plunge pool and jacuzzi in the bathroom. After we settled in, we ordered room service for a bite to eat. I was amazed at how quick the meal came. The hamburgers were still warm and quite tasty. Later that evening, we dined at Emilianos. All food selections are cooked to order and the food presentation is simply first class. My wife and I were introduced to the waiters who were always friendly, helpful and gracious. Even the chef came out and introduced himself to us. We would like to give a shout out to the waiter staff who everyday greeted us with a smile and made our dining experience pleasurable. Many thanks to Edgar, Cruz, Daniel, Carlos, Wilebard, Jessica and Lizabeth. Also many thanks to Jorge for your always timely assistance anytime I called.

We were at pool side most days. We never wanted for anything. The servers always kept us with bottles of water and our favorite drinks. The grounds were kept clean and well manicured. Simply just a lovely, relaxed atmosphere. My wife and I often sat on the terrace of the lobby for quiet moments. Many thanks to Bernie, the terrace lobby bartender, for making the best cocktails and making sure we had our nightly sambuca before we retired for the evening. We also checked out the beach club the last fews days of our vacation. We found it to be a special delight and loved to have lunch there. We recommend visiting the spa. We had massages there and they were expertly done.

All in all, it was a restful and relaxing week. We do plan to visit again next year. We loved everything about Casa Velas. The service is just that good. Didn't go into town at all except to go on a boatride excursion. Casa Velas is an 80 room all-inclusive boutique hotel resort. I would recommend this place for couples who want to get away for some private time or to relax and be rested. The property is not on a beach, but guests have access to a private beach club where you can have lunch and enjoy the ocean.

Room Tip: Get a room with a jacuzzi, patio and plunge pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Green Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We just returned from an absolutely grand week at Casa Velas Boutique Hotel in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. This all-inclusive resort has everything adults c
ould desire for a wonderful respite from the daily grind. The staff was friendly, always helpful, and gracious. The food was interesting and varied. The grounds were beautifully maintained with the pool serving as the centerpiece for relaxation and serenity. The rooms were quite nice with a stunning shower area.

Our only concern was the rumor that very shortly children may be allowed. If this were so, we're afraid that it would have a genuine negative effect on the overall ambiance of the current adults-only retreat. AMB and MEI, Green Valley, AZ

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank AMBird_13
Horten, Norway
Reviewed 28 January 2013

After travelling 24 hours to get there we don´t regret our decision to go to Casa Velas Boutique Hotel! We spent 3 weeks in high season; including Christmas and the start of january -13.
Beautiful garden and pool-area, restaurant Emiliano with outstanding food and the presentation of the food was outstanding! For a golfer it was fantastic; just a 1 minute walk to the clubhouse/driving range or some minutes with the shuttle bus (always available). I liked the course (hcp10), but may be demanding for some with narrow fairways.
The staff, especially in the reception were very kind and serviceminded. Internet access ok in the reception-area.
We plan to come back one day!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank returner508
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 January 2013

We visited Casa Velas last June, spending roughly a week under the all-inclusive plan. For some perspective on how we view such vacations, our primary concern was service and relaxation, with food and drink quality as a close third. (We tend to regard ourselves as gourmands: here at home we have happily dined in most of our local Michelin Starred restaurants.)
One of our primary concerns in researching for a resort was the quality of the food. In several instances, we were tempted by the variety of luxurious styles of cuisine offered at other resorts, but we ultimately settled on Casa Velas because the food was generally well reviewed, the variety was somewhat more than sufficient, and the all-inclusive option seemed a good value.

We were not wrong. Don't be mistaken: if you are craving gourmet food on an all-inclusive program, you should not expect classic french cuisine as prepared by Alain Ducasse, or Wylie Dufresne whipping up some molecular gastronomy miracle. What you CAN expect are industry standards from the past few decades executed faithfully and very well. We never failed to have a satisfying meal at Casa Velas, and I say that as a very picky eater. Was I blown away by every bite? Not at all. But did I savor almost every bite? Certainly.

On to service: it was excellent. It perfectly met the needed balance between easily available help without being intrusive. it was exceptionally friendly without being overly familiar. special requests about treatment were met with graciousness, and at no point did anyone even suggest through mannerisms that a request was anything other than convenient and reasonable. After our first meal, I had included a rather large tip. 9The resort itself will caution you that tipping is not expected or required, and that it is in fact somewhat discouraged. Long established habits of mine mean that I am most comfortable tipping lavishly at the beginning. There was absolutely no pressure to do this.) After my wife and I had signed for the bill, we took a walk through one of the gardens. Our waiter took the time to track me down to double check that i had not made an error in my math...this was a small thing, but he did it so expertly that I walked away feeling magnanimous rather than embarrassed.

It was small touches of that sort that really made our stay remarkable. An item wasn't available during lunch? They would check with the kitchen. Our turn-down service could certainly come back, since we were going out again after a late nap. The pool bar would be happy to run and get an item not on their menu...in fact, I cannot think of a dissatisfying service experience.

The rooms were lovely and luxurious. The resort was generally spotless, the atmosphere almost sleepy. The ratio of space to guests was perfect. It truly was a vacation idyll. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SMS197874
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I've never been to Puerto Vallarta before this, but I booked Casa Velas primarily because of the reviews on this site. I was not disappointed. On the contrary, I was pleasantly surprised. I was actually taken aback with how incredibly friendly and accommodating the staff was, and the food was outstanding - what I would be happy to pay for at a top restaurant in SF, and it was part of the all inclusive package. Our room was also spacious and clean, and the bed was super comfortable. I feel bad for the folks who have commented in the past few reviews because I clearly had a different experience. Not sure if it was the rooms or the timing or what, but I didn't see the same thing...and I'm very critical. My stay was everything I wanted it to be with my girlfriend. I travel all over the world for work and for play, often, and this is a place I would come back to. Sure, it would be nice to have the beach right onsite, but the shuttle is on demand, and it's literally a 3 min ride (15 min walk) to the beach club. The property is gorgeous, and the beach club is excellent. There's been some flak about allowing kids, but we didn't see any. We asked one of our waiters about it, and he said that they're experimenting but will likely go back to adults only because of how much people appreciate that distinction. Either way, kids aren't allowed at the beach club for now. One pro tip is that while you are free to explore and use your all inclusive credit at Velas Vallarta (nearby sister hotel), don't bother. It's huge and is definitely not the same caliber as the Casa Velas (tons of kids, loud and drunk adults, sub par food at best). This is funny after reading @badspeller's review, since it sounds like I'm selling this place, but whatever...take it or leave it. Hope it helps.

2 Thank maldiviant
Tahoe City, California
Reviewed 23 January 2013

For the cost, I would only recommend Casa Velas if you do not get an all-inclusive deal and if you don't mind noise from airplanes going in and out of the nearby airport and if you don't mind being on a golf course rather than a beach. We don't play golf, so didn't take advantage of the neighboring golf course.

We had an all-inclusive package, so we ate the food, which was overall mediocre and lacking the level of food that should be served in a high end hotel. This was a big minus for us. There is a second restaurant at their small beach property, however, it wasn't open during our stay.

Pluses: very nice buildings and accommodations, beautiful grounds, nice swimming pool, very good service most of the time. They have a small beach front property and a shuttle.

Minuses: the food in general, too near airport (noise), same music played over and over at the restaurant throughout our 4-day stay, a bit far from old town. Not right on the beach. Shower water went cold on about 3rd day for unknown reasons and they fixed it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SusanMcK
OKC
Reviewed 23 January 2013

A bit suprised that the hotel wasn't on the beach but having knowing that the beach was less than 5 minutes away when walking and a minute by shuttle was perfect. We were there in January and it was not crowded at all. Incredibly relaxing and the staff were exceptionally polite. Also having access to the sister hotel (the one with all the kids) was also very nice. Provided a variety of food. 10 minutes from downtown and access to a private beach - perfect!

2 Thank outta_boundsOkc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Hotel Mousai
Hotel Mousai
#3 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & ...
#14 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Puerto Vall...
#15 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Velas Vallarta
Velas Vallarta
#4 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
#1 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#8 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Casa Velas? Share your experiences!