“Top notch...a return location”
Review of Casa Velas

Casa Velas
Ranked #2 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston
“Top notch...a return location”
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Fabulous hotel for just the quiet moments you would want with the one you love. Really enjoyed everything...the room, the location, the service (Exceptional) and the spa. Once the staff know what you like, they'll have it for you thru out your entire stay. This was the trip!

2 Thank rretc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
New Jersey
Reviewed 22 March 2009

My girlfriend made the reservations about a year ahead and we both were ready for a vacation. Casa Velas hit the spot......we couldn't believe the quiet, exotic surroundings, the superfluous service and the attention to detail. Unless you are serious in buying avoid the timeshare pitch, it was over 5 hours long. Otherwise it made my first visit to Mexico very memorable. The "adult" population made for very good friendships and fun days. Bottom line, we are already booking 2010.

2 Thank Madison49
Manchester
Reviewed 22 March 2009

Before describing this hotel it’s worth talking about actually getting there. Assuming that you are arriving by air then the hotel brief you to go to the VIP service room on entering the arrivals concourse. From there they will provide a free taxi for you. Sadly between customs and that desk you will be accosted by an army of time share touts and their feeders who will ask you which hotel you are staying at. The pitch is that the hotel intend to charge you $30 for your ‘free’ taxi at the end of your stay, whilst for $13 (pay now) and a promise to attend a time share pitch (throw in two free massages at the spar for good luck) you are all set to save money. Except it’s a lie! (Welcome to Mexico)
The hotel do provide free transport from the VIP desk on the right as you enter the terminal arrivals area and they are fully aware of the time share scam but because the touts work for the same hotel group they can’t stop it.

OK, so you are taking in the sumptuous surroundings of the reception area and are impressed by the friendliness of the staff and their greetings. As many posts suggest these are indeed genuine. However by the end of my stay I had to wonder if the men were being administered hourly doses of laughing gas and if the women had been extra’s in the supermarket scene of the Stepford Wives. That said, I would agree that in some areas the service is superb, whilst in others it’s still got a way to go. On one hand I have never had an unserviceable light bulb changed so quickly but also not waited so long for a pot of coffee that took two attempts at getting the order right. ‘Coffee for two’ is not that complicated to get right in over one hour!

I used to stay at this hotel years ago as the Quinta Real and it has always been an oasis of calm and the rooms are still unique and superb. My only comment would be that for two people the clothes hanging space is very limited and is located in the bathroom area. This makes for nuisance congestion between one dressing and one washing. Also the free WiFi is only located in the lobby and pool area. At over $400 a night I want it in my room! I would hope that the redecoration that is planned over the coming year (2009) will cure both these problems.

The Emiliano restaurant is excellent and the quality of the food is very good both at breakfast and dinner. However, the service and delivery need a lot of polish to call this a true gourmet dining experience. A trend that seemed to emerge is that the chef places completed dishes under hot lamps and by the time it gets to the table the top of the food was either crisp, dried out or burnt. This included a cold dish of shrimp and crab wrapped in Salmon rolls!! Having delivered a nice meal the whole thing was spoilt for me by delivering both my dessert and coffee and liquors at the same time! No, you are not supposed to do that! This is not an Irish Bar or Ruby Tuesday’s. The coffee comes after and there is no rush for us to leave! Also, please provide a small fork along with the dessert spoon so as not to have to chase that strawberry or last piece of chocolate around the plate.

On this theme various knives and forks were omitted and had to be requested several times along with a rather curious system of administering wine by the glass and charging this to your bill rather than just allowing you to order a bottle of what you wanted. As we were all inclusive this only served to show that the suggested tip should be larger. (Once again, Welcome to Mexico!)

On the subject of tipping you can expect a false bill to be presented after all transactions with a 100% discount applied. You then just fill in what tip you want to add. Frankly I thought this was a good idea and certainly solved the problem of endlessly carrying cash around all day. If you prefer you can pay cash as you go and the bills are then not presented.

The hotel offers a tourist agent desk. Expect to pay $60 a head for a $25 dollar whale watching trip! In our case we had to pay cash again at the harbour as they would not accept the hotels reservation ticket. This was resolved quickly and our cash refunded without question. However, it might be better to just do your own thing down at the harbour.

All in all I loved returning to the hotel and I hope that the above points are taken by them as constructive criticism. If you are used to staying in vacation hotels that have guests with more tattoos than bare skin then the Casa Vellas will transport you to another galaxy, but if you are European with experience of four and five star hotels worldwide then expect a little roughness around a brave attempt to be a cut above the rest.

Give it a try though. It is a lovely hotel.

1 Thank BoeingBoy
Mission Viejo, Ca
Reviewed 21 March 2009

This was our first experience traveling to Mexico, and staying in an all inclusive hotel. I work with children, I have children (I love children) but it was nice to stay in a resort with NO CHILDREN!! A true vacation. My husband and I were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. This hotel exceeded our expectations. The service was outstanding, grounds are beautiful, and the spa was AWESOME. The only minor downer was if you wanted to sleep in, the noises outside of our room were a bit distracting. We could hear full conversations from our neighbors next door. The floors are marble (beautiful) and the walls are a little thin. But we only noticed the noise early morning and mid-evening. The hotel atmosphere is calming and the private beach with full service lunch right to your cabana is icing on the cake!! Take the Rythyms of the Night tour, and the canopy tour. Be aware many of the tours offer you lunch (not included) the first tour we thought it was, so we paid for an extra lunch. The next tour we got wise and ate a hearty breakfast before leaving and ate lunch back at our hotel (you paid for all inclusive use it!!). Also we found out the tips are included in the all inclusive package, IF you chose to tip it is over and above the amount you already prepaid (took us awhile to figure that out too). We will definetly return it has been our "Fantasy Island" (remember that TV show?) trip well worth the expense.

Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed 18 March 2009

My wife and I were married on Valentine's Day and spent our honeymoon in Puerto Vallarta at Hotel Casa Velas. It was more than we could have ever imagined. The staff was very helpful and made sure everything was perfect. The room was amazing, and they had a bottle of champagne with chocolate covered strawberries for us when we arrived. I would recommend going to the beach house as soon as you get there. It is a short ride and very beautfiul. Also make sure to take the Rhythms of the Night tour. We also enjoyed the city tour and cultural tours.

1 Thank Richwm02
London,
Reviewed 8 March 2009

Having just returned from two weeks at Casa Velas, I can say without hesitation that my wife and I have had a marvellous relaxing break in very comfortable, well designed, beautiful and perfectly maintained surroundings. From the moment of arrival until departure, the entire staff were without exception genuinely welcoming, friendly, professional and helpful and provided a consistently attentive but not intrusive service. Our master suite was charming even though on the list for upgrading and the bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in. The all-inclusive arrangement provided good food and wines whether poolside, at the private beach club, the restaurant Emilianos or by private room service and there was always a willingness to adapt to specific requests even if not on the menu! We took various trips, organised for us by the first class VIP Services Stefano Goyette, who took the trouble to assess particular guests requirements and match his proposals accordingly. Likewise the Guest Service Manager Mauricio Sides provided excellent support to us in every respect and is deservedly popular with the guests many of whom were on repeat visits as we have every intention to be.

6 Thank ANTISCO
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 6 March 2009

It is 2 weeks later and I don't want to take it off, keeping me in the moment at the best all-inclusive resort we have ever been to. It is small and intimate, charming and pampering, private like a warm club that you never want to leave, yet accessible to everything. Nestled quietly on the Marina golf course, it has its own private beach club where you can spend a day in the pool, on the ocean, or eating to your heart's content from a wonderful menu. The main building has an excellent restaurant, the drinks are plentiful and potent, the wine list quite good, and the staff really make you feel at home. Stefano, the concierge, even sent me to a wonderful dentist where I'm going to have implants done, saving me $8,000 over the US price. Everything about this place is high end, but the people staying there were nothing like the snooty crowds elsewhere in expensive all-inclusive resorts, everyone simply had a ball and we shared our delight at feeling so cared for and away-from-it-all. You also have restaurants at Vella Vallarta, their sister property only a few blocks away on the water, to choose from, and we had very good meals there too. All in all, my favorite vacation in years. And I'm going back. Even though I said I'd never buy another timeshare because of the hassle you have to go through with the sales people, this place was a delight, no pressure, and very generous with their terms. So I bought a week a year to be sure I get to put that bracelet on every winter. Go there. You'll be so glad you did. PS The spa is great too! Golf is included (thought I'd mention that even though I don't play).

2 Thank TWAjunkie