“Beyond Expectations”

Casa Velas
Ranked #2 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 April 2010

We were looking for an top end resort in PV to spend a week of R & R. Some years ago we stumbled onto The Hotel Bel Air and loved it. the Bel Air name is long gone but it is now Hotel Casa Velas. During our extensive search up came a picture of the swimming pool and we knew we had found this once lost treasure. We knew the Hotel was great but boy oh boy it is now really great. Never in our forty years of travel have we expereinced such fine dining and caring staff. All meals were GT quality. Days spent lounging around the pool were enhanced by Hector and his attentive mates. No glass was ever empty.
the Spa staff were a very soothing crew that made a common splitz and shower pure luxury. The grounds are perfection right down to resident peacocks. The Cuban band an unexpected pleasure. Suites are spacious, room service always timely. Much nicer to have a friendly face with coffee and juice at 7 am than our usual clanging alarm clock.
A couple of mimosas with breakfast is very civilized.
I could go on and on - oh, the Beach Club. I'll let another guest rave on about that little slice of heaven.
Well done Casa Velas, you will see us again soon.
Terrence and Jane

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, manager at Casa Velas, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2010

Dear Terrance and Jane,

As General Manager of Casa Velas Hotel Boutique I really appreciate my client’s observations. I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments and experiences about your resent stay.

Our goal is creating the perfect ambiance for extreme comfort and relaxation and we are always very pleased when we accomplish this mission. I will personally let Hector and the spa crew know your comments. This represents a major factor of motivation and inspiration to all the staff.

In the name of all Casa Velas Hotel Boutique employees, we would be more than glad to have the opportunity to pamper you again listening to the Cuban band with a couple of mimosas at the pool and then prepare the setting with candles, rose petals and soft music for a romantic dinner in your suite.

Come back soon to your home away from home.

Pierre Yves Bonin
Managing Director
Casa Velas Hotel Boutique
”YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Reviewed 30 March 2010

Shame on me for delaying the writing of this review. My husband and I visited Casa Velas Jan 02-16, 2010 and had a fabulous experience, and I should have shared that sooner. To be truthful, there are so many amazing reviews on CV, that it feels a bit redundant! Nevertheless, let me give you the details, in case you are going and still feel that you need more info.

Arrival. Walk directly through the “Shark Pit” at the airport. Regardless of what they tell you – do NOT stop and engage. They are there for one purpose only – to hook you into a time sharing meeting. They will absolutely and unequivocally lie to you, and tell you ‘yes, we represent your hotel’ and ‘yes, we are your arranged transportation’ and in fact, they are not. So just walk through this area and into the main area of the airport. As you exit the pit, on your right you will see all of the people waiting to greet arrivals, and within that group, you will also see people holding up signs. This is where your arranged transportation will be. Provided they waited for you. Nothing against the hotel, but this is really the weakest link in an otherwise outstanding vacation experience. We had arranged transportation, and even though we got through customs quickly, got our luggage right away, the shuttle had left. Apparently someone from another flight was there, so they took them instead. Don’t stress about this – it’s a cheap cab ride to the hotel (under $20), and it would have been less confusing to have just done that from the start.

Check-in was short and efficient. They greet you with a drink and a seat in the lobby if the two reception desks are occupied. Stephan, the time share rep will greet you and keep you talking until they can check you in. He is very nice, but remember, it’s his job to try and sell you time sharing. Just say no if you don’t want to go to a meeting – or if you aren’t sure, just delay it until you’ve spent some time at the resort. You can always find him there to arrange for a meeting. Back to the check-in. Easy, swift, and if you are lucky enough to get Ruben as your bellman – you are in for a treat! He is an amazing person, and I would love to have him work for me here in Canada! What an amazing example of stellar customer experience! We love you Ruben (even if your father did name you after a sandwich  - that was from Jim!).

Rooms are great – we had a ground floor room, and asked for a second floor, and changing was no issue. In fact, Raymundo (not sure of his title, but something like guest services manager?) was amazing and patient. He was happy to show us several rooms, until we found one that was perfect. That makes us sound incredibly picky – but why not have every single thing that you love, since the options were there to choose from? Our first room was large, and had a full living room area, dining table, bedroom area, Jacuzzi, outdoor full sized table and chairs on a patio, and a step down to a second patio area with a plunge pool. All surrounded by hedge, to ensure privacy. We changed to a room that was a bit smaller, but equally opulent, with a plunge pool on the balcony. Beds were very comfortable, amenities were great, mini bar stocked daily – nothing to concern yourself with at all. (we went with RCI if any of you are wondering what kind of room you’ll get).

Pool is fantastic, and that is really saying something, since I’m a beach person. It was quiet, tranquil, the staff was wonderful and attentive, the lounge chairs and beds were very comfy, and drinks and food were served right to your chair. It couldn’t get any better than that. If you are a party person, this is just the wrong place for you. The fun is in getting to know all the guests – and we likely were one of those people who had a little ‘too much fun’ and disturbed others, but truthfully, everyone seems to chat and enjoy each others’ company, so I don’t think we bothered anyone! In fact, everyone had such a good time, that 10 or 12 of us who met at the resort discussed meeting there at the same time every year!

Beach. Don’t be put off by the shuttle to the beach. It’s just a short walk if you are energetic enough to do it (you walk around the golf course) maybe 10 minutes – or a shuttle ride of about 2-3 minutes. And Ruben and Alexis (looks like Stephen Segal!) are so entertaining that you’ll want to ride the shuttle back and forth, just to engage with them! The beach itself is small, but excellent. No worries about the saving of cabanas – we got there at 10:00 most mornings, and were always the first there! In fact, the most crowded day had 6 people on the beach! The pool at the beach normally had another half dozen or so people, and that was it! So definitely not an issue. Lunch is great – and Alan is an amazing Captain (was promoted from waiter when we were there!) and will surprise and delight you with wonderful drink concoctions to your heart’s content. *A special note here. This hotel has hired the most beautiful women that I have ever seen. Everyone that we met said the same thing. This is the case throughout the resot. At reception and concierge (hi Ana and Diane!) and in the restaurant, and at the beach. Erica is stunning, and could easily be a model. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention this, as it is part of painting the picture of ‘perfection’ that the hotel represents. When you go to sit at either pools, or at the beach, just pause for a moment and wait. Within a minute, you will have someone there with an ice bucket with two bottles of cold water, as well as towels. No need to scurry around, or wonder how to get comfortable. They will also move the chairs if you like – in fact, just ask if something is not to your liking, and they will accommodate you.

If you are facing the ocean, to the left is a hotel, and at the rock break wall walk away from the ocean about 40 steps, and you’ll see a little turtle hatchery. If you are lucky, some with hatch and you can be a part of the release activity! You will find that the vendors walk by you regularly on the beach – but a polite no is all that you need to say, and they move along. I must admit – I didn’t say no that often – I bought quite a lot of stuff, and negotiating is a big part of the fun! A note on negotiating – don’t insult the vendors by going too low. I heard many people offering $5 for a silver bracelet etc., when you’d have paid $60 at home for the same thing. Look for deals, but don’t insult the vendors. They are usually on target to end up somewhere between 30% – 50% off of what they initially ask (depending on the product, and vendor). Have fun, but show the respect that these hard working vendors deserve. I think I put Pepe’s kids through school, I bought so much from him – he’s amazing, and his product is good – so say hi from me if you see him! You can’t miss him, he’s the only size 4XL out there! If he doesn’t wander by, just go over to the umbrellas on your left, it’s a bit of a shopping area for the vendors to rest in between trips down the beach, and he’ll be there. By the way, if you don’t see something ask for it! I wanted a large 30” silver chain for my husband (also a 4XL!) and Pepe’s son immediately got it for me. I was still able to barter, but truthfully, my heart wasn’t in it. His starting price was less than half what I would have paid in Canada – but I felt compelled to play the game, and we both walked away happy. I also asked Pepe how I could get a silver bracelet for my husband – his wrists are large, and a ‘normal’ size wouldn’t fit – and Pepe had me choose the design, and then he promptly took it to his son, who took two bracelets and made it into one – sized perfectly – within a half an hour. I got rings, bracelets and chains that were never on display – but by asking, a whole new world of silver opened up for me! (yes, it’s real silver…just look for the stamp). Whoo Hoo – I had a blast and didn’t spend a lot. Morale of the story – if you don’t see it, just ask for it!

As you can tell, I could go on and on, but the truth is that this is a fabulous resort with outstanding service. The spa is also great! Yes, I went to Velas Vallarta – no thanks. Kids and packed pool areas are not my cup of tea. The restaurants were a nice switch if you stayed for two weeks like us, but for one week – you can’t possibly eat your way through the fabulous food/menu at Emilio’s at CV, so stay there. We have stayed twice at Grand Velas, and would always welcome a visit there, but we just never got around to it. You’d enjoy it if you decided to go. All in all, an excellent hotel for a quiet, relaxing and restful vacation. If you want activity at the beach or pool, try a different place. Two weeks was a bit long here, because it was so quiet, but the staff made the stay so much fun, that we didn’t notice. Raymundo, you are the best, and ensure that everyone has the best possible experience. Ruben, we love you, and I have your picture in our living room (remember, the one you made me promise not to post on Trip!). Manuel, Jim misses your conversations at 5:00 am, and says you are the best ever at customer service – and all the best to you and ‘you know who’ (wink wink). You are amazing. Thanks to everyone at Casa Velas for a fantastic vacation. You set the standard for all others to achieve.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheTravellingTaylors
Reviewed 29 March 2010

I simply don't know where to start with this review. It has all been said before and rightly so.
We have been lucky enough to have had many wonderful trips in our time together, but we have never experienced anywhere as special as this hotel. We can not find a single negative comment about the hotel or the staff, it truly is a wonderful place to spend your hard earned vacation time. The hotel responded perfectly to every request we made, from the first email to the day we flew home, they could not have been any more helpful.

The room we had (503A) was in perfect condition and was superbly comfortable. It had everything we could have needed and both of us slept incredibly well. The bathroom is perfectly well appointed and we enjoyed the wonderful shower. We experienced a minor problem with the shower, but the hotel had it fixed within 30 minutes of reporting it to them.
Our room had a plunge pool outside which we enjoyed, but to be perfectly honest it was rather in the shade and we liked looking at it more than getting into it.
The food was first class, and we have no complaints at all. We ate breakfast on our patio via room service every morning and we loved it. The omelets were fantastic.
Lunch beside the pool was a treat and so tasty, that we never felt the need to venture to the dining room at lunch. Dinner was way beyond our expectations and we looked forward to it every night. We also ate at the beach club for some lunches and twice for dinner, and we think it is a must do. We loved eating so close to the breaking waves on the beach. Room service dinner was all we could manage one evening and this too was very good.
The real reason this hotel stands out above any other we have stayed in is the staff. The team at Casa Velas are so wonderful. I can only assume that it is a combination of the manager hiring lovely people and then providing them with world class training. They are always attentive but never overbearing, so we say congratulations to the manager for succeeding in leading the best team we have ever seen.

The only thing we did not enjoy during our stay was a visit to the much heralded Grand Velas for dinner. You get a courtesy shuttle there, but not home, so make sure you take cash for a taxi. In our opinion however you would do much better to forget visiting the Grand Velas completely. The food we ate in their Mexican dining room was very poor and the place had a manic feel to it, as well as noisy children at 9.30pm. We were glad to get "home" to the Casa Velas.

One observation I would like to make is that this is not the hotel for you if you like to over indulge and make a lot of noise around the pool with your friends. I am sorry to say there were some people there during our stay who did and they really took the edge away from our experience. This is not the fault of the hotel, just that of people who had no consideration for their fellow guests.

My advice if you are looking here now, stop looking and go and book it, you will love it.

Thank you to all of the team and the manager at Casa Velas

1  Thank ronandkristin
Reviewed 25 March 2010

by the attentive service, you will want to come to Casa Velas.From the time you arrive at the airport, until your departure, they address your every need. This was our first stay at an all inclusive resort and we were very pleased with the high standards of this resort. This was our third visit to Puerto Vallarta in the last twenty years, but we will be returning to Casa Velas at our earliest opportunity! Even though Casa Velas participates in the RCI timeshare program, there is absolutely no pressure to buy, which is very refreshing.Did I mention that Casa Velas is an adult only resort? That was the primary reason that we decided to come here since most of the other resorts are crawling with kids on Sping Break! However, we now have many more reasons to return to this little piece of heaven.

Reviewed 23 March 2010

We just returned from a week stay at Casa Velas. It was simply amazing.

Casa Velas is located in North Puerto Vallarta, also known as the Marina district. This area is also located near the airport. The proximity of the airport is not an issue at all, it's a very very nice area. Less then 5 minute drive, even.

The resort is gated and located on a golf course. When we pulled into the resort it was exactly like the pictures. The bellman were SUPER friendly, and like to joke. I felt completely at ease.

Check in wasn't a hassle at all. We had reserved a King Bed upgraded suite, but unfourtantely they weren't able to get us into one of those. They took us to the room, which was gorgeous and had a beautiful view of the golf course. Because of this, we didn't elect to switch to a king size room the next day. More reason to snuggle. Our room had a plunge pool on a balcony. There were two chairs and table on the balcony. We also had a stocked minifridge, and a snack basket. Also, fresh fruit and wine were also set up. The beds were super comfortable with pillows I want to own. In the bathroom there was an amazing shower, a blow dryer, normal hotel items.

Now the hotel isn't located on the beach, BUT there is a beach club that has a quick shuttle. The beach club is equipped with wifi, a restaurant and a pool. The beach is also very nice. Some areas of Puerto Vallarta have a rocky beach, but not this one. Which was a major deciding factor for me. Getting to the beach club by shuttle wasn't an issue at all. There were a few people who "saved" cabana's, though, when people showed up and there wasn't room they drug out a few more loungers. They are super accomodating.

The pools at the hotel were actually my favorite. I didn't get the names of the people who worked at the pool restaurant but they were awesome. They bring a towel and ice water as soon as you sit down. Fantastic, quiet and peaceful.

The restaurant at the hotel was incredible. This isn't a buffet dinner all inclusive type of place. At night Emiliano's is a gourmet restaurant. They DEFINIETLY keep the drinks coming. If you don't have a coffee at breakfast that's full, or a drink at night they will ask you if you want another. In the morning the restaurant was a buffet some mornings, or you could order off the menu. They offered mimosas, cappucino's, frappuccino's, iced latte's and anything you could imagine. One morning I asked if mango juice was in season (because the menu indicated you could get it when it's in season) and our waiter said "no, but I will get it for you"... I have no idea how they do it. But if you want it, they will do it. At night they say there is a dress code, which translates to no shorts for men. My SO wore jeans, and it was okay. However, most men wore nice slacks. Some nights I wore a dress and some nights I wore nice slacks.

At the hotel during the day, they set out coffee, and tea and snacks. You can relax in the patio area and use wifi. Truly relaxing.

As many have mentioned, one downside is the wifi at the hotel (it was really good at the beach club). It worked in my room, but I was really close to the lobby. They do provide a computer set up so you can get access. After the first day I kinda enjoyed being "off the grid", and not being able to access the internet. Helped me relax.

The hotel does have quite a few channels in English.

I didn't really check out everything the other hotels offered, as Casa Velas was so nice. We could have eaten anywhere at Velas Vallarta or done their activities. We checked out Velas Vallarta and it was really nice. I heard their Italian Restaurant was really good.

The bellman are very helpful and will call a cab. They sit around the marina area so they normally get there in 2-3 minutes.

I didn't use the spa, but the fitness center had high quality equipment.

The area you are in has the Marina. If you walk around the Marina there are many restaurants (we didn't eat at any, we loved the hotel food), massage places, and tours). There is a bus that runs through this area and stops in front of Velas Vallarta. We rode this often. Not too far area from the Marina is a little shopping area with a Walmart, Sam's Club and a really nice mall with a cinema that does movies in English. This is also where the cruise ships come to port.

Don't be afraid to ride the bus. We learned a few tips. Use peso's and flag the bus because they don't stop unless you do. This got us around quite a bit for only 6.50 pesos. If we were unsure we'd hop on a taxi. Make sure you ask how much first! One driver tried to charge us three times what other did. From Marina Vallarta to Malecon we normally paid between 100-150 pesos, by taxi. Though, we would have taken the bus if we weren't in a time crunch.

We will be back to Casa Velas, if not this year, then next year. The staff and grounds are incredible. People such as Nancy (housekeeping), the front desk, Rueben (bellman), made us feel at home. And down at the restaurant Ramon, Salvador, Hugo, Daniel and Karina were amazing. Everyone was! But those are the only names I remember.

1  Thank Michielyn
Reviewed 22 March 2010

If you enjoy a small,superior service,friendly staff whose main goal is to be there for you this is your resort. We enjoyed the villas as they provided that little bit of extra space and privacy. The golf at Vista Vallarta was an exttra that allowed one of us to enjoy championship courses and the other to relax at the beautiful pool. One tip--avoid the aggressive time share people posing as reps from all the hotels.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2010

As General Manager of Casa Velas Hotel Boutique I really want to thank you for the opportunity of being your host during your resent vacation with us. Your live experience with us is the greatest motivation to all of our staff and all of them always are inspiring us to continue with our mission, to always exceed your expectations and put special attention in all the details for your total comfort.

In following of your comments for the aggressive time share people inside the airport from all the hotels, we happily invited you to communicate with our concierge so we can help you with a better services, Casa Velas will provide instructions for the transportation from the airport to the hotel to any guest that will previously communicate with us, hoping that this information will make a better experience for you next time. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information concerning the transportation or any other request.

We look forward for you to come back and exceed your expectations ones again, on behalf of all the Staff at Hotel Casa Velas I assure you that all will be more than pleased to attend you during your next visit with us

Pierre Yves Bonin
Managing Director
Casa Velas Hotel Boutique
"YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME"

Reviewed 22 March 2010

We loved every second.......Room service, dining, beach club, pool side service, gym, free hydrotherapy, Dining.....everything was great. It will be hard to go back to other larger hotels after staying here. Only wierd thing was signing for everything, basically be sure and write in the exact amount if you plan not to tip or tip with cash. Otherwise this hotels ranks as a 9.9 out of 10 to me.