“The Good Outweighs the Bad, Good Place Overall”
Review of Casa Velas

Casa Velas
Ranked #2 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle
“The Good Outweighs the Bad, Good Place Overall”
Reviewed 5 March 2011

OVERALL: This is a very quiet resort, with nice rooms, mediocre food, good service (though not amazing, as indicated by others), close to the airport and with lots of space for the amount of guests.

CROWD/VIBE: This is a very quiet resort, almost like a library, you feel like you don't want to speak too loudly to not draw attention to yourself. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your taste. The overall age demographic seems to be a lot of people in their late 50's to early 60's, with a scattering of younger people (I'm 34), and even a group of people into their 70's. As someone in their 30's, you won't be the only ones but you will definitely be in the minority. This being said, there was also no one making a loud, drunk --- of themselves, so you take the good with the bad.

MAIN RESORT POOL: This is probably the best part about the resort. The main resort pool is heated (though not super warm, heated through solar hot water system). There is lots of room around the pool with plenty of comfortable loungers, cabana beds, and tables for hanging out. There is poolside drink and food service. I didn't know about the food service until the last day, and the menu is actually different which would be nice because there isn't much variety at the resort overall (see comments on food). There is a chest of popsicles you can get into whenever as well, and the staff occasionally brings by some kind of snacks (fruit skewers for instance). For those that like to have an option for a domestic beer poolside (includes myself), they do have Bud Light. There is also wifi at the pool, though keep in mind this is the only area basically with wireless coverage, it gets pretty dicey the further away from this area that you get.

ROOMS: This is the second best part of the resort in my opinion. We had the lowest grade room available, but were upgraded to the grand class suite plus (if memory serves). This room had both a jacuzzi and plunge pool, with outside patio. Inside was also a sitting area and alcove. The bed was comfortable, towels and linens were relatively soft. The room had an old school tube TV with satellite service. They do have pay per view service and about a half dozen english channels. Some of my channels didn't work or had no sound, but I figured it was a good reason to watch less TV, so I didn't bother complaining about it. The rooms do not have any type of iPod interface/stereo for playing music, so bring your own stuff if this is important to you. I think a TV and stereo update would be nice for the rooms, but other than that they're pretty nice. I included a bunch of pictures of our room as I thought this was one area that didn't have much info on this website, our room number was 510A.

FOOD: This was for me the most disppointing part of the resort. On other reviews here, people RAVE about the food. We live in a metro area, and go out to eat very often at nice restaurants. I'm not trying to be a snob, but when people say the food is some of the best they've had, i just wonder where they've been. Don't get me wrong, the food is entirely edible, and ranges generally from OK to a little better than that, but some is also bad. It is not great or excellent, just decent, and I really thought the food would be one of the highlights of our experience. In particular, I would pick in the sushi maki rolls and calimari at the Beach Club as being particulary bad, along with the steak, lamb, and mahi mahi sandwich at Emilianos. Desserts lack enough sweetness, lots of the food is too salty, and the quality of ingredients and overall execution is not great. Things that I thought were decent included the club sandwich (ate this 3X), chicken osobuco and red snapper at Emilianos, sweet breads with breakfast were also pretty good. The beach club food is OK, sushi rolls and calimari not withstanding. Food here compared in quality to other high-end AI, but certainly not in a class of it's own, and the lack of variety can lead to getting bored with the same food.

LOCATION/BEACH: Yup, this place is not on the beach. Yes, you do have access to the beach club. Depending on your own preference, I think it is more comfortable to spend the day at the resort based on the amount of space available and relative comfort. The beach at the beach club is certainly nothing special, it's pretty rocky, though you can walk a short distance either direction and the sand continues to the water. At the end of the day, I think the resort not being on the beach was not a big deal. You can also go to Velas Vallarta, which is located on the beach. Airplane noise was not an issue at all, you hear a plane maybe 2-3X per day, not enough to even matter. The proximity to the airport is actually awesome, you get there very quickly once you arrive and the trip back is about 3 minutes!

SPA: We included the all-inclusive spa option for our visit. If you are planning on getting a fair number of treatments it may be a good option to consider ($380pp per day, complete with room). Spa was closed from the fire a while back. I got some intel that the spa will likely not be up and running again for "about 2-3 months", so take that for what it's worth (might not be accurate, but what I was told). They are currently doing the spa services out of suite 601, which is a governer's suite (I think). It is kind of a funky temporary setup for the time being. The quality of the treatments were all top notch, though. I know my wife is a spa snob, and she was very happy with her treatments. She wanted me to pass along that Lupita is the best spa therapist ever! If they actually had a real spa, I think this part of the resort would be getting a strong recommendation from me. As it is, though you give us the amenities of the spa, the core treatments are still great.

SERVICE: Another thing that people rave about in this forum. I found the service to be very good overall, but just consistent with what I expect at nicer resorts. Service was still sometimes a bit on the slow side, but always done with a smile so that is OK. I'd say this part met my expectations but didn't blow me away.

BEACH CLUB: This is a nice option to have, but it is pretty small. The place itself is pretty nice, but the pool isn't heated and I'm a big baby in that regard. Pretty much from the pictures, what you see is what you get.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 4 March 2011

I travel to Mexico yearly and I review the hotels, not the City or Mexico or anything else.

TL;DR ( summary version )
We wish we had stayed at Velas Vallarta because the food,service and people there were better by huge margins. We spent the last half of the trip there all day and only sleeping at Casa Velas because the service was terrible.

Hotel:
The hotel is beautiful and very well maintained. The check-in/out process and staff were first rate, absolutely exceptional.
Room:
The room was bigger and better than expected, although 'Jacuzzi' was explicitly mentioned in the reservation, there was no jacuzzi. The shower was very big and luxurious so I didn't mind, but you might mind.
Sleep:
There was a local conference next to our room for 3 days and the traffic to and from during the middle of the night was awful, after I realized I could not sleep, I went to the front desk at 2am and they gave me another room for the night. The next day the conference was gone, so they handled the problem well, although there would not have been a problem if the room doors adequately blocked sound and sealed properly. If you are a light sleeper, you may have similar problems.

The service:
We left this hotel every day for Velas Vallarta because the service at Casa Velas was terrible. (exceptions: the front door guys were awesome, Antonio, Eduardo and Felix.) The pool bar could not get food out in less than 45 minutes and drinks were hard to come by. I tried tipping big when ordering and tipping again after the first drink and I basically had to chase people down to get anything, as did most of the other guests, several of which left after giving up on getting service. The restaurant Emiliano was very very slow as well, and I left a separate review for them. (The service at Velas Vallarta down the street (part of the same resort) was exceptionally good, absolutely amazingly fast and friendly with extra touches everywhere, so I'm not being picky or impatient)

Other guests: (I wish someone had told me this)
If you're ok with your resort looking like a retirement community then you will fit right in. We're in our 30s, and I'm not talking about 40s or 50s here. I'm talking at the youngest, people were in their 60s. Mostly older than that though. And most guests here speak no Spanish (and refuse to) and the staff assumes that you want to speak English for everything. Maybe that's what some people want :)

Food:
Casa Velas has one restaurant and room service. Room service was very good and we enjoyed most meals very much. Breakfast at Emiliano's was also great every time. Dinner and lunch were very, very slow. It seemed that they were never prepared for the number of people present. Dinner was the worst, with poorly seasoned dishes that were either super-salty or bland. The other two restaurants at Velas Vallarta, Andrea and Ribera, were the complete opposite, excellent food, amazing service, great wine, over the top special attention to detail and staff that would speak English or Spanish or whatever you wanted.

FYI:
The gym and the spa are CLOSED for renovation. This info was not listed anywhere and we were surprised to find they had put some equipment outside next to the gym and moved the 'spa' to one of the rooms. The spa is absolutely tiny, crowded and inadequate, regardless of how great the regular spa is, whenever it opens, which is also unknown.

2 Thank intelno001
casavelasmanagement, General Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Dear Guest:

I send you a cordial greeting on behalf of the entire Casa Velas team.

Please allow me to express that guest satisfaction is very important to us; our goal is to provide an atmosphere that is full of comfort and tranquility to people who seek a completely relaxing vacation experience. It is for this reason that our property has the attribute of being only for adults.

One of the great advantages of Casa Velas and Velas Vallarta is that you are able to enjoy the facilities of either resort during your vacation- just as you mentioned- it does not matter where you are staying.

Casa Velas is known as a peaceful oasis that combines service and hospitality recognized by Condé Nast and AAA with the pleasures of an intimate ambience. It creates the ideal romantic climate that invites you to enjoy the comforting sounds of nature as you relax in our private pool or dip into the pool and Jacuzzi at our Ocean Club. Restful nights can be enjoyed within our comfortable suites that feature original art and incomparable details.

If you would like to enjoy a day with the family on the beach, Velas Vallarta is the ideal option. It provides a lively atmosphere with music and various activities. Your palate will be delighted during visits to its different restaurants.

If, for your next visit, you decide to stay at Velas Vallarta, please do not hesitate to come to Casa Velas for a wonderful breakfast and enjoy the service, attention and tranquility that characterize us and make us unique.

At the Casa Velas Ocean Club, we await you to prepare delicious beverages accompanied by a freshly made ceviche; during the afternoon you will be able to participate in interesting activities such as wine and tequila tastings and culinary demonstrations.

For the evening, we recommend an amazing romantic dinner by the seashore, with a menu of gourmet international quality, and attentive personal service by our Executive Chef as he prepares you an exquisite Mayan coffee.

Noé from Suite Service will be ready to offer you excellent service in your suite, just as you deserve for honoring us with your presence.

At Casa Velas we are very concerned with details, and we invite you to choose from our excellent pillow menu and one of the massages or special treatments in our Spa, which we assure you will soon be completely remodeled and ready for use.

We truly appreciate the observations that you shared with us; comments such as yours encourage us to improve on a daily basis. We will be working diligently and in the mean time would like to invite you to visit us again and allow us the opportunity to meet your expectations.

It is important to us that you know that we await you with open arms, here at your home away from home, Casa Velas. We would love for you to enjoy the All Inclusive experience like never before, in a place where simple pleasures become part of what you most wish for.

Warmest Regards
Director General
"YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME “
Key Largo, Florida
Reviewed 3 March 2011

Whenever we get a chance to get away to Puerto Vallarta, the only place we stay any more is Casa Velas, we have stayed at many other resorts in PV, but Casa Velas takes such good care of us we can’t even think of staying somewhere else. Casa Velas has it all it has a very romantic atmosphere, wonderful charm, and most of all it’s the wonderful employee's that make Casa Velas a great place to go. The Manager Pierre Bonin really goes out of his way to make us feel welcome. Everything just keeps getting better and we have to give him the credit, every time we return to the hotel, it’s just better. I wrote a review earlier that was titled "If it gets any better than this I’ll be scared, well, I’m scared. Like i said things just get better and better, and we visit 4 or five times a year. They have a way of making you feel like family when your there, (nice family) I just love it there i want to go back now, and i was just there 2 weeks ago in Feb. So you want to know about the food, don’t get me started it is wonderful, The room service is Excellent, the way they arrange the food on the plate is picture perfect, and i always take photos, oh and don’t forget to try the Green juice in the morning, its pineapple juice, orange juice, spinach, celery, parsley, i make it at home now in the mornings, you will feel great after having this juice, i have 2 while I’m there each morning. Like i said the food gets better every time that we are there, they just hired a food manager to oversee everything, and let me tell you he is on top of it all, great choice Casa Velas.
The Rooms: We have been in almost all the rooms even the Presidential suite, any room that you get ( our favorite besides the Presidential suite , is The 2 story 2 bathroom places, but the Governor’s suite is great also. The beds are extremely comfortable, whatever room they give us, I know I will love it, and will be getting a great night sleep. The room has complementary snacks and refrigerator with complementary sodas juice and beer, which is restocked daily; they really know how to go out of their way to make you feel at home. There is always beautiful flowers or wine and or champagne, chocolate strawberries, always something nice waiting for us when we return.
Airport Pick up: The hotel will set it up for you to pick you up at the Airport, which is a very nice perk, i don’t know if it always happens, but they do have that service. Love it. The hotel itself is not on the beach but it is very close, they do have a beach club with free shuttle service that is on the beach with the same nice people that work there also, if you love sushi, that’s the place to go. We take turns lying at the pool at the hotel in the morning then go over to the beach club for to hang out; we don’t want to miss out on all the hotel has to offer. So the bottom line is, if you like to be spoiled, pampered, treated like a rock star, eat great meals, breakfast lunch and dinner, they have it all. I actually start craving to go there, once i start to think about Casa Velas. Well i guess I’ve gone on long enough, Thank you Casa Velas for all that you do to make every stay the Best stay, which stay at Casa Velas is the best, The Next one! Thanks to all our family there, Benny, Freddie, Hector, Oscar, Jesus, Moses, Bernardino, and All the wonderful Employees, We love you all, can’t wait to see you again, and hope to see you in April.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 March 2011

If your going to Mexico for a relaxing trip, to get away, to be pampered and taken care of... Casa Velas is the place to go. The number 1 thing is the staff, they are all over you (in a good way) making sure you have what you need while somehow not intruding on your vacation. The pool is lovely and the grounds are very well decorated. The rooms are perfect for 2 and well appointed is a classic Mexican meets modern style with art and decor from the surrounding area. Not to mention it is cleaned with a fine tooth comb every day. To sum it up Casa Velas gave my girlfriend and I exactly what we wanted, when we wanted it and with a smile on every face. Not to mention the true test of hotel management was passed by one of the managers, Jesus. Long story one of the bus boys at the pool damaged something of mine and Jesus made it right by me. I would go back any time.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your words in your commentary.

It is very important for us to know that we have met and exceeded your expectations so that you had the unforgettable vacation that you had expected.

For Jesus and all of the Casa Velas staff it was a pleasure to offer our services during those romantic moments, filling them with magic, laughter and beauty.

We will be here once again to help you celebrate your anniversary, birthday or any occasion that you wish to enjoy in this paradise surrounded by nature and beautiful scenery.
Relax in one of our suites with Jacuzzi during one of those more intimate moments, have breakfast on the terrace enjoying the morning sun and the view of the beautiful golf course.

In the afternoon, take the shuttle to enjoy the Beach Club and at nighttime spend the evening in Emiliano.

See you soon.

Director General
"YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME “
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2011

We recently spent a week at this all-inclusive hotel. It's not on the beach but there is shuttle service to their beach club which is also only a short walk away around the adjoining golf course. ("Shuttle service" is immediate transportation in an immaculate white suv or minivan.) The service and food were excellent and the drinks were good. There is at least 6 or 8 different calibre of rooms. We asked to be moved from our first room (403) because it was very noisy. There were five women staying in the neighbouring suite who turned into screaming, laughing, furniture-moving maniacs after dark until late into the night. (Adults only does not guarantee peace and quiet.) The room was also directly over the front entrance so that didn't help plus the air conditioner in that particular room made an odd roaring sound. They were unable to move us until the third day but upgraded us (at my request) to a larger and much quieter room (304) with it's own little heated pool on the balcony. This hotel is too classy for towel sculptures on the bed but room service, turn down service and decent wine are included so who needs terrycloth swans! Even the wrist bands are classy -- string and beads vs. plastic. Casa Velas guests also have access to the nearby Velas Vallarta rated number 3 in PVR, however the Vallarta is huge and the service, food and drink are correspondingly weaker. All of the staff at Casa Velas speak excellent English and are hired accordingly so if you are timid about trying your Spanish this is the place for you. I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for something quiet and elegant but if you want to see the REAL PVR I recommend staying closer to downtown in a place like the Hotelito Rolando (see my review) and visiting some of the excellent eateries and watering holes in that area. You are more likely to be awakened by roosters and donkeys than rowdy guests but you experience the "real" PVR there.

1 Thank librarylil95
Dear Guest

We thank you firstly for the time that you took to describe your experience in our hotel.

We appreciate your understanding of the situation and for giving us the opportunity to improve and change your suite so that you could enjoy the vacation that you had planned.

We are always here for your needs. No matter what the situation Jesus (our concierge) as well as Felix Briceno with have any needed details about your suite.

Our staff will always be here waiting with a smile and the same warmth that you will find in Casa Velas, your home away from home. We all have the same philosophy that provides excellent service full of comfort and luxury.

We hope that you will honor us with your next visit so that you may continue to enjoy our activities such as wine tasting, cooking lessons, cocktails and enjoy our gourmet dishes some of which were created by our Executive Chef.

We hope to see you again soon and

Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 25 February 2011

If you read the review below mine, I was with the "divorce party / bachelorette party" group. However, it was really just 7 girls on Girls Trip 2011. And I must tell you, it was the best trip we've ever had! We stayed in the Presidential Suite, which has 4 bedrooms and 4 1/2 baths. It's amazingly beautiful, has a private pool and great service. The whole resort just blew away our expectations.
The downstairs pool is beautiful and quiet. The beach club is a fun getaway to the georgeous Puerto Vallarta Beach. The food is the best All-Inclusive I've ever been to. The fact that you order off the menu instead of a buffet is really impressive.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is looking for a romantic getaway for 2, or a fun trip with friends. Look forward to great service, great food and beautiful surroundings.

A shout out to Jesus, Noe, Edgar and Eduardo. We truly felt appreciated and enjoyed "lighting up" the resort for the 4 days we were there. We plan to return someday!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Girls 2011

It was a pleasure for the staff of Casa Velas to have hosted you in the Presidential Suite and that you enjoyed an unforgettable holiday full of living and excellent service.

Our Food and Beverage Department was pleased to have served you and to have taken care of your needs such as delicious cocktails and our high quality wines like those in our Gourmet Parade which delighted you and your friends.

Remember that Casa Velas is known as a hotel that has a very relaxing atmosphere where you can spend time with friends as well have a romantic moment with your life partner.

During your next visit you can enjoy the Beach Club with its exquisite Asian Menu.
The cocktails and snacks will be available at the pool area while you enjoy the sun or take a refreshing dip in pool.
We will be waiting for you once again to celebrate a birthday or luxury vacation.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed 22 February 2011

We checked into Casa Velas last Thursday and checked out yesterday. I think the thing I found most impressive was the food. So yummy and at an all-inclusive no less. Loved that it was adults-only. It skewed a bit older than I expected, which was totally fine for us. The beds were very comfortable and if we had any trouble sleeping it was only due to a very loud bachelorette/divorce party that was staying right by us. No big deal. The staff is so helpful and pleasant, the pool is nice and their Beach Club is just a quick van ride away. I normally don't return to the same place twice because there's so much to see out there in the world, but I could see myself returning here.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, General Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, 26 February 2011
Dear SarahChicago,

It was a pleasure that you chose us for your vacation destination this year in Puerto Vallarta.

We hope that you will visit us again so that we may surprise you with our service, you may enjoy all the details of the facilities and have a stay full of comfort and luxury.

All the staff members will always have a smile to share with you.
Thank you for your kind words as they make us always strive to be excellent.

We hope to see you again soon and