“Low budget for a reason”

Krystal Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #60 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Unable to book at our usual resort, we ended up staying at the Krystal. This resort was once very nice but that was a very long time ago. Pools cold, rooms out dated and hot tubs colder than the pools.
Only thing positive was that the beds were comfortable and the daily maid service was very efficient although we did see a major increase in little flying/biting bugs by the end of our stay.
The "kitchen" is barely functional and I hadn't seen that design on pots since my grandmother's house.
Location is handy and beach is nice, but you get what you pay for.
We were not all-inclusive.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Stevewierenga

Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

WOW!! I can honestly say that just about everything meet or exceeded our expectations! My wife and I had our wedding ceremony on the beach and they made us feel like royalty. A beautiful presentation and a private dinner with our own waiter and life music. Everything was handled very professional and communication was excellent. The staff was amazing and very helpful. The only complaint I would say are the rooms are a bit old and the vendors on the beach can be a bit much. The property is a little older but I would call it more of a charming look then old. It's very authentic Mexican look and made for some great wedding photos. The price was great and made for a wonderful stay. Would are looking forward to coming back#!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jc O
krystalconcierge, maitre of Lobby at Krystal Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

I am so glad to hear you had a great time staying at Krystal Puerto Vallarta. I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experiences you lived and enjoyed during your stay with us, I am delighted to read your positives comments
Thank you again for allowing us being your host and we hope to have the opportunity in a near future to provide you one more time with the excellence in service we are known for.

Please let us know if you´re planning you next vacation, It´ll be a pleasure to have you back in this beautiful resort.

Cordially

Bárbara Gamerdinger.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Last december I had a wonderful vacation in Hotel Krystal in Puerto Vallarta. It was a once in a life time experience. My family and I (22 persons) went to to celebrate my uncle and aunt´s 50th wedding anniversary. It is an all included, 30 yr. old (more or less) hotel, not very expensive (affordable for all pockets), the service was superb. Mr. Del Callejo, the general manager and his dedicated, hard working team helped us with an unforgettable dinner table in a terrace by the beach. Although the hotel has a few years, one can see a lot of workers (gardners, painters, etc.) in different areas to keep the place in shape.
Visit Puerto Vallarta with their beautiful whales, dolphins, Islas Marietas (a beach in side a volcano) and much more!!
Thanks to Del Callejo, the lady in charge of waiters and the rest of the team!!

Room Tip: Ask for PB
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lorena G
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at 4 different places while in PV. Krystal was not bad. I see some reviews here about people getting screwed. I can't comment non that as I booked through a discount site and I didn't pay the hotel directly. The food was hit or miss. One day it was really good, a couple days later (getting the same meals) we were very disappointed. This hotel is close to the marina, making it easy to walk to and is also close to a grocery store making it cheaper to eat. One bad thing that the other 3 places didn't have a problem with is the locals harassing us trying to sell things. We would lay on the beach chairs and have a vendor approach us every 30-60 seconds trying to sell crap. The first day, security came out after a couple hours and chased them off. The rest of our stay, they didn't care at all. If you go back up in the pool, the approach you still and if you go behind the pool they stand in front of it and wave their merchandise at you. I understand that they're trying to make a living, but we were there to relax and being harassed non-stop killed that possibility.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Randall O
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

There are newer villas and older ones. Make sure if you'd like a quiet evening don't book a room that is close to the discoteca. You will be nómina all night long...no joke. They know how to party!! PS New Years Eve fireworks on the beach lasted for 30 minutes. Incredible!

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Kellfu
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The family and I planned on staying at the Krystal the first part of December 2013 as it was our favorite resort. We started going 20 years ago when the original family owned it. It was a nice villa with lots of land, a very large beach, many restaurants, a great Fiesta, a disco, and a great staff. About 10 years ago the original owners sold to NH. It appears that the main reason that NH purchased the property was so they could sell off the land to developers. They did minimal upgrades and let the property deteriorate. We came back one year and they had leveled 2/3rds of the ocean view time share units - NH sold the land to ICON for 2 or 3 high rise buildings. A new structure was built near the middle of the Villa so it appeared that they were going to start putting money into the Krystal. WRONG - 2 years ago NH apparently sold off the new structure to the Hilton and put up a wall to divide the property. In the process they removed the pool and all the swim up bars that were the corner stone of the resort. We did not know this until we arrived Dec 2013. Needless to say, after we saw the resort, we stayed elsewhere as the rooms in the Acueduct are run down and poor quality (They Krystal claims they were renovated 2 years ago). They also did a "bait & switch" on the time shares in that they offered a $500 switch to the "renovated" Acueduct units, but didn't bother to disclose they were selling off the newest portion of the resort and removing the main pool. NH no longer appears to be managing the Krystal. Seems they got their money out of it by selling off 50% of the property. I will never stay their again and my advise is DO NOT BUY ANY TIME SHARES FROM THIS GROUP.

Room Tip: Beds are still hard as a rock. Your hips will be hurting you after 2 nights.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Douglas F
Reviewed 20 December 2013

The hotel staff can barely speak english. They amount they quoted us for the all-inclusive is not the amount on our bill. We asked how much it would be for the all-inclusive for 4 people 4 days. The receptionist quoted us $90 per person for 4 days or total $360. We couldn't believe it, so we kept asking her and even asked her to write it down. When we checked out our bill was for $900. She meant to say $900 for 4 people 4 days. The hotel refused to honor our quote. They did give us a 10% discount, but still was twice the amount we were quoted. I disputed the amount on the credit card, but because I signed the bill I was out of luck. Bottomline, if you are over charged, do not sign the bill. Also, the food is not that great. Top shelf liquor is not included. DO NOT DO THE ALL-INCLUSIVE.

Screwed

Room Tip: Beds are all very hard. Go to a different hotel. Our friends got stuck with a timeshare at this ho...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends