Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive
Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$441
US$350
US$502
US$239
  • Pool
Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
US$215
US$172
Bookit.com
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$97
  • Pool
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$552
US$283
  • Breakfast included
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$195
US$173
  • Pool
Los Arcos Suites(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$102
US$338
US$329
Velas Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
US$339
US$330
  • Breakfast included
The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$148
  • Beachfront
3,973 results
All reviewskids clubrifle shootingclimbing walltime sharelobby baritalian restaurantbunk bedsnightly showshot dogsfamily resorthuge poolgarden viewmusty smella la carte restaurantsall inclusivesmarina areagreat family vacation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Let me begin by saying this is a lovely resort from an aesthetic point of view. We were there as a group of 7 from Dec. 30th for 7 days. This was our third "New Years Eve" trip together and we are two families with adult (most of the time) children. We had a junior suite on the top floor overlooking the entire resort and the ocean. Great room, well worth the little extra. We had two bathrooms, living area, bedroom and double balcony.

I think the problem with this resort is attention to detail. In our room we had "extra ammenities", however we never had them replenished. The body lotion was actually used when I first looked at it as was the shampoo! We begged for coffee for the first three days and was always told happliy that yes it would come...but it never did until the fourth day we were there. Having said that though our room was cleaned very well everyday although some days it wasn't until 6:00 in the evening. We were supposed to have turn down service every day, but it only happened once. That was ok though, I can turn my own bed down, it's just that it was supposed to be part of the upgrade we paid for.

The food at the buffet's was mediocore at best. Not too much variety. Breakfast was so frustrating. To have any kind of eggs you had to line up forever. If you wanted bacon, it was guarded by the "egg lady and only given out upon request". The toaster pooched on a regular basis, so they switched it daily to see which one would work. The lunch buffet was actually the best, but again no real variety day to day. Only ate the dinner buffet once, but again it was kind of the same as lunch. The al a cartes were not good plain and simple. For both the Mexican and the Grill, the food was lovely to look at, but cold on both occasions and the service was pleasant but not attentive. The Italian was very nice with very good service but again the food was cold.

New Year's Eve was fantastic. Everyone put so much effort into creating a magical evening for everyone. The food for the gala evening was really very well done. Wonderful grilled lobsters, scampi, a paella that was amazing. The one thing we found odd is that this was the first time that we had to pay extra for the New Years Eve gala. It was $55.00 per person. Worth every penny I might add, but we have had much grander New Year's Eve celebrations at other resorts that were part of your all-inclusive week.

I guess the things that are just not right, is the attention to detail. Clean the room properly and supply the amenities promised. Ensure that the food is heated properly, if you say you are going to proivde something for a guest then do so. There appeared to be a great number of trainees working so perhaps they were just short staffed. There just didn't seem to be anyone in charge that actually cared if things got done.

The other thing that was problematic was that about 300 conventioners showed up for a three day convention. Trust me that wrecked havoc with things. From party revellers to guests being shuffled around to accomodate their buffet needs, it was interesting. I have to say though that the hotel handled them very well.

In conclusion this hotel has lovely grounds, very nice staff, is very clean and has lots of things to do if you want to participate in activites, i.e tennis, volleyball, kayaking etc...The location is great. You can walk to the marina, hop a bus or take a cab anywhere you want to go, but, There is just something not quite right......

Room Tip: For the extra money a junior suite is the way to go. Double the size room, amazing view and very private.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Muggs54
Reviewed 11 January 2012

This was my third time back to the same resort. The resort Melia Puerto Vallarta just keeps getting better. What I noticed this time was how healthy the food was. I guess because I have been trying to eat healthy. There were an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables at every meal, as well, always 3 choices of protein. I loved that the chef would separate the yolks from the whites upon request, when making fresh omelettes in the morning. Also loved that she would use Pam, instead of a ton of oil.

Internet was available for free in the Lobby area using Wifi.

I would have to say that one of the things that sets this resort apart from the others, and (I have been travelling to Puerto Vallarta for over 10 years, and have seen may) is the service that is given. Every single worker that I encountered, was genuine, and you could really tell they loved their job. Everyone was friendly and seemed to want to go above and beyond to help make my vacation a real vacation. I needed an extension cord, and within 5 minutes of calling the front desk, one was delivered. There were activities for young and old.

I have to mention that one thing that really impressed me was that, I am use to going to the beach and then being hounded by beach sellers, at this resort, they have come up with a great solution. The sellers are all in one spot under a structure set up. They don't bother you, and if you want to buy something, you can go to them!

The Melia is located in the Marina, which is a very secure and private zone. It's close to the airport, (10 minutes) so you don't waste half a day travelling to the resort. Its also only an 80 peso, 7 dollar taxi to the centre Malecon. The are lots of shops and restaurants to visit in the Marina as well.

The rooms were clean, and had beautiful marble floors. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All are nice but ask for a high floor to have a better view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chertoronto
Reviewed 9 January 2012

In early December 2011, I booked a vacation for our family; we wanted to celebrate New Year in Puerto Vallarta. I called the hotel directly and Lillian at the front desk was great & very helpful & she offered us a nice package to stay at their hotel. We also met with one of the Manager, Ms. Josefina Turanzas, she also was great very helpful & made sure we are being taken care of.
Everyone at the Hotel was friendly & helpful and the food was great, initially, and we were concern after reading some of the bad review at the Trip Advisor regarding the food, service, room.etc. but we did not have the same experience like the other people. The New Year party at the Hotel was the best with great entertainment & great food & fireworks. We loved our server “Julio” we wanted to take him home with us and the manger/captain “David” was great too & very helpful.
The weather was ideal & the Hotel had entertainment during the day & every night. The pool people were great, Marco (Tiger woods) was great and we also tried Yoga first time & our instructor Francis was great too. We loved the people at the Hotel & Puerto Vallarta. It was very safe, we went downtown twice for shopping & entertainment & we also tried the Zip Line in canopy, everyone was friendly and we felt very safe.
This hotel is great especially if you have kids but we have two boys one 18 & the other 20, fewer people in their ages were at the Hotel but I am sure with the right group it will be a lot of fun. Great place!!
Mike H

Room Tip: Tower 2nd or 3rd floor
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We were to return home on Jan 3 but the AeroMexico flight was overbooked. We volunteered to take a later flight,,,which never came! The Aero Mexico staff took care of all arrangements to get us home the next day. So, after all of the airport rigamoro we were sent to the Melia at about 9:00 PM. We felt like pilgrims arriving to the new land. The desk staff was attentive, spoke great English and took care of us quickly so we could "clean up, eat and enjoy a nice show before bed!" The grounds were lovely and it was evident that mostly nationals were in for the extended Navidades week through Jan 6. Mostly families with children and adults of alll ages.
Our room was lovely, clean and spacious. The young clerk, at the desk, had actually inspected it himself while we were checking in on arrival without a reservation. He even took charge to make a 5:00 AM wake-up call. The shower worked great...not the norm in Mexico! We walked the large lobby and first floor grounds and were pleased with the beautiful design. Dinner options were a Mexican upperscale restaurant and a buffet with a salad bar and pizza. We enjoyed the lighter fare with very nice house wines and attentive service. I went to bed after eating but could still hear the club show or music until about midnight. my husband stayed up for a nightcap and was surprised to find families with toddlers and young teens drinking at the bar. Mexican hotels tend to welcome families, including children, even at higher priced hotels like the Melia chain. Having stayed in Puerto Vallarta, we know the Marina to be a lovely area for quiet vacationing, if that is your preference. This was a comfortable respite after a hectic day!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zbp-drp
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed at the Melia with our 2 children, age 2 & 5 and brought the grandparents. It was so simple to grab a cab from the Airport to Melia and it was literally a 6 minute drive. We took a van to accommodate 6 ppl and all of our luggage for $30. But if you just take a regular cab, I would negotiate $20. Much better than waiting around for a shuttle even if your package offers it! We were there in a flash! Check in was a breeze.

Rooms:
We were in a standard gardenview room, grandparents were in an Oceanview room. We were both in Tower 1, we were on the 3rd floor overlooking the resort, it was a nice view, grandparents were on the 9th floor, lovely view. The rooms were nice, clean. Beds were a little on the hard side. We did not receive any little extras like towel art (didn't miss it :) ) but my parents had a few little surprises left by housekeeping and they were tickled. As I've found with all resorts we've been to, try not to sleep with the A/C on because you may wake up a little stuffy. There's an in-room safe, mini bar stalked daily with 2 tall Coronas, 2 pops, 2 juices, 2 big waters. We didn't mind sitting out on the balcony at night (while the kids slept like rocks) and listening to the music.

Service:
Staff were very friendly. You get back what you put out. You're on vacation people, smile, be happy, love life. We had no issues with any service at any time. LOVED Benjamin, our poolside waiter...those drinks kept coming. We tipped housekeeping $1 per day, $1 always for a meal and sometimes more if it was particularily good service or if we were all eating together. We tipped every once in awhile at the bar.

Grounds:
Beautiful. Lush. Iguanas, ducks, turtles. We enjoyed the layout of the resort and found everything easy to get to which was nice because we were travelling with children and 2 elderly folks.

Food:
We really like the buffet! What can I tell you!? The coffee was great, fresh eggs however you want them. French toast was fantastic. They had a little area for kids to serve themselves which is cute for them, however, I still chose to serve my kids from the main buffet tables as it seemed fresher. As for the A La Cartes, we really enjoyed the Italian (portebello/goat cheese salad, Asparagus Soup and we all had steak or tenderloin and everyone liked it a lot). We did not eat at the Mexican. We did eat at The Grill, but it wasn't spectacular and I would have probably preferred the buffet. Breakfast is in the main indoor buffet, Lunch is at the big outdoor/sheltered Palapa - very good sushi, pizza, fresh pastas, tortillas. Supper is also held there outdoors and is set up very nice. You have a view of the ocean and at night sometimes there was a lit up cruiseship off in the distance, twice there were fireworks. Food was great, kids station at night too.

Pool:
Huge. Swim Up bar. Gradual entry from a few areas for the kids to walk into. Lots of little shallow areas to play. Loungers had cushions. Many palapas for shade if you prefer. We arrived during the week and I know it isn't peak season, but we could not believe how easy it was to find a spot. In fact, we got our favorite spot everyday and made friends with families around us and hung out daily. (shout out!) We liked to stay around where the hammocks are, near to the kids club (more on that), stairs to the beach (more on that), close to the bar, although drinks were brought to us constantly and we barely had to go to the bar. At noon the snack bar opens up, burgers, hotdogs, nachos, popcorn & icecream. On the other side near the towel exchange, they would have music, games, aquatics, louder...we could hear and see it fine from where we were. The pool did have a few loose tiles here and there, just don't let you kids run around too much on the raised circle in the center of the pool. Water temp was lovely.

Beach:
If you are a beach person, this resort may not be your first choice. Although there are loungers there and people having a great time by all appearances. I think this is more of a resort for pool people. However, maybe that's because we were travelling with children. We enjoyed walking along the beach, we brought sand toys and built sand castles, collect shells. We would not swim there with the children because I am a very nervous parent and there were some big waves. There were adults swimming and kayaking. There were a ton of vendors on this beach. As it is public you can walk off your resort and onto the other resort beaches. One of the families we befriended saw turtles.

Baby/Kids Club:
AMAZING. Baby Club 0 - 4. Kids Club 5+. My 5 year old daughter loved it. Nice park area, games room, craft area. Sometimes they would rehearse for the nightly shows. My son napped a few times in the Baby Club. They will call you over the loud speaker if you're needed. Flintstones theme, cheesy? Perhaps....but it was nostalgic for us old folks and the kids seemed to love it, especially when Fred or Barney or Dino made an appearance.

Entertainment:
Kids pre-shows. Be there at 8:45. Fun, fun, fun.
Adult shows: Still ok for the kids. A few sexy outfits and sexy dances for the prudes. My daughter loves dancing and I didn't mind. Pure raw talent. We liked the Circus show the best. The comedy was quite entertaining and the dancers were excellent!

Proximity:
A short walk to the Marina. Walk to restaurants/bars if you choose to. Walk to the Oxxo nearby (7-11). $6 to Walmart.......WHY? well maybe you need diapers? Cheap shot glasses, vanilla, magnets (just like in the gift shops!) We never went Downtown PVR as we didn't need to with the kids. $6 cab ride BACK to the Airport, much cheaper on departure.

Spa:
Did not use. There are places at the Marina to get your toes done! Might be cheaper.

As for locals on the resort, etc. When we were there during the week, it wasn't really like that, and then there was a convention on the weekend and a large group of locals came in and then after the weekend they were gone. But it really wouldn't have affected our stay. I'm not sure why if affects other people. We met mostly fellow Canucks.

Overall, would I recommend it? Yes and already have as I am a travel agent. However, if you mind children laughing, playing and having fun around you, go elsewhere. This resort is not full of decadance nor is it lavish. But it is a wonderful, relaxed atmosphere. No disco dancing dedicated bars, but there is music/dancing at lobby bar or go off resort.

Room Tip: We got a MAS Rewards card online and used that for a late check out at 2pm.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family