We recently returned from a 5 day stay at the Melia Puerto Vallarta. As new Club Melia members we were not impressed. We have come to expect more from Melia properties. While the service was consistently excellent and the staff more than friendly, the hotel is dated and simply run-down in some areas.
Let me start with some of the positives. The lobby is very welcoming. We liked how it incorporated the reception, store, spa, bars, and restaurants in one large two-storey area that felt both open and contained. We found the front and serving staff genuinely friendly and helpful. They were always enthusiastic. There were also a lot of activities throughout the day. Although we did not have kids on this trip, the kid's area and playground looked fun. In addition, the pool has two zero-entry areas.
As we were there the first week of October (very low season,) we essentially had many activities to ourselves, including the tennis court. It was also very easy to borrow the equipment. Keep in mind, only one of the two courts was actually equipped and maintained, as the other was in need of repaving. (This seems to be representative of the resort in general: some parts are well maintained while other areas seem to have been abandoned.) There is also a well-equipped gym but it lacked mats and smelled of mildew. Archery was fun, the nightly shows were entertaining and amusing, and the kayaking was also good. It is convenient that you can arrange a number of different off-site adventure activities directly with the resort staff.
The food was adequate: consistently acceptable but never exceptional. Since it was very low season, the restaurants were only open on a rotating basis and reservations were hardly necessary. The wait staff was very attentive.
We had a one-bedroom suite that looked updated. It was small but very well-maintained and comfortable. The room was nicely appointed, the bed was in good shape, the bathroom was very clean (and looked like it was renovated within the past few years), and our balcony had a nice jacuzzi-tub.
The buildings themselves do not look like they have been well maintained. It looks as if the exterior hasn't been painted in a while, and the walls were scarred black and cracked in many places. Some of the stairwells smelled of urine and mildew. The elevators also appeared old and were not reliable.
While the grounds were nicely maintained, the pool area and its design are outdated. At the same time, it is large with some nicely shaded areas. However, numerous missing tiles and a tired color scheme detracted from the attractiveness of the setting. Although the pool chairs were comfortable, it looked as if the cushions were very old. Many of them were stained by bird droppings! The pool towels were also in bad shape, sometimes threadbare.
The beach is also fair. A cement wall separates the beach from the pool area but it was not landscaped or decorated. The cement landing/walkway to the beach is just functional, not attractive. Kayaks were available at the beach and the attendant was very helpful. There was debris on the beach.
Overall, I would not return to this resort until it is updated. I do not think it lives up to the standards I expect from Melia. One nice thing about the resort is that it is nestled between some nice looking and well-maintained properties, allowing one to plan a better stay at a neighboring (non-Melia) resort for one's return to Puerto Vallarta.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking Marina Vallarta, one of the most exclusive and quiet areas of Puerto Vallarta, a four star luxury hotel just 5 minutes from the airport or 10 minutes from downtown. Just a short walk from the 18 hole, par 71 Marina Vallarta golf course. 318 rooms in a vast tropical sanctuary on the beautiful bay of Banderas, ideal for a family vacation. Gazebos facing the ocean, the place is perfect for photographing perfect sunsets over Puerto Vallarta. Nightly themed dance shows live, from traditional retro style dances to traditional ones performed by the hotel's own dancers. Where is Puerto Vallarta? Located on the beautiful Pacific coast of Mexico, with an international airport and a seaport, it is one of the most popular tourist destinations. Romantic ocean views ready for your special occasions. Experience the best Mexican experience from the moment you enter Melia Puerto Vallarta. This all-inclusive, 4-star luxury resort offers its guests a variety of dining options and perfect leisure activities, whether for a romantic getaway, a family holiday or a corporate meeting. The property has a timeless tropical charm, thanks to the large open spaces and spacious, peaceful ecological gardens (full of iguanas, ducks, coy, birds) and wide sea views. The hotel has been designed by architects Oriol Bohigas and Joseph Martorell, authors of other projects such as the Olympic Village and the Olympic Port of Barcelona. The ingenious climate-focused design allows you to enjoy Puerto Vallarta's climate all year round. Are you traveling with children? Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive is a family-friendly hotel offering babysitting services with trained and certified professionals. Children's activities include crafts, billiards, table tennis, table football, arcade machines and more. Attention: FREE TOBACCO SMOKE-FREE HOTEL IN CLOSED AREAS: Melia Puerto Vallarta is concerned about the environment and as part of its Sustainable Tourism program, offers its guests and associates a smoke-free environment in all our rooms, theater, Lobby, restaurants, elevators, hallways of rooms and in some open areas delimited by the Hotel. This strictly non-smoking room is charged a room cleaning fee of $ 200.00 USD for guests who violate the "smoke-free" policy. For all visitors who smoke, hotel puts at your disposal assigned areas in the pool area, motor lobby and public beach. Ask for the map with the designated smoking areas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Melia, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive Beach Hotel Puerto Vallarta
- Sol Melia Puerto Vallarta