“great family vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Edmonton, Canada
“great family vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

If you have kids I'd highly recommend this place. I loved the fact they had a baby club, and it was nice and clean. The staff to children ratio was also good and they had some fun activities for children. Too bad the evening ones were so late, my kids were asleep by then.
For the little while every day we left the kids in the club we were able to enjoy our vacation, the pool service was awesome and we never had to wait for drinks, also the buffet restaurants were great and we loved the poolside snacks. Sure, I've seen many nicer beaches before but the pool made up for it and I think it was heated. We would go back again if we can get a separate bedroom/suite, not sure if that's available unless you have a timeshare?

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

This is not a four star resort at all. I can see maybe back in the day it may have been but not now. The resort is perfectly acceptable if you Re expecting three star cuisine and accommodations, although, our room had ants in he bathroom. This may be common in PV and they had to fumigate while we were there. The food and drinks were mediocre, the pool was big but not what you would call breathtaking, like some of bathe other places we have been to. The beach was not that great, small and very non luxurious. I think you have to get out of the marina where melia is for a better beach. The hotel itself is in need of renovation. Paint chipping, broken elevators, daily problems with the lock on our room. Don't expect a gym. It's horrible. Three broken down treadmills from 1989. I was crying because I love working out. The gym was the most disappointing thing because it was like they didn't even bother with it! Why have one? Ugh. The kids entertainment theme was the Flinstones. That right there, shows you how outdated they are. Today's kids have no idea who Fred and Wilma are!!! Crazy. I can't believe I was tricked by the four star rating. I have been to awesome places that are four star. Barcelo in maya riviera, riu palace in cabo. Those put the Melia to shame! I don't get it. Is the ratings system a trick?

Room Tip: The ocean room views are nice but very loud with music. But I just wore ear plugs. There's som...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kcw081
Bellerose Village, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Beautiful setting, wonderful common areas, pool and beach. All inclusive was rather inexpensive at approx $55/day/person. Food was OK. Great breakfast, very good lunch at the La Polapa (sp), dinner buffet was mediocre. Alcohol flowed without a problem. Rooms were spacious and clean but decor needs an upgrade. 160 pesos ($14US) will get you downtown; great vibe, great restaurants and tons to do.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bartbad1
Servici0_al_Huesped, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Meliá Puerto Vallarta is glad to read comments like yours, where your feedback give us an opportunity to improve our services and products. Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

We’ll be waiting for you in your next visit to Puerto Vallarta.

Best Regards,

Campbell River, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I paid top dollar to WestJet Vacations for this trip and it was sold by them to me as a 4 star star resort. It's apparent WestJet hasn't been here in a while. I feel the Melia barely approaches 3 stars. The waiters and servers are AWESOME though. It seems as though Melia is trying to save money by not doing maintenance on the place, which is rather run down. The rooms reek of something decomposing in the air conditioning system. I don't think our room was swept once in the 2 weeks we were there. The hallways and elevators smelled of human waste, due to the on-property sewer treatment plant. Food is fair at best and the drinks are watered-down. Lots of the outside deck chairs are broken. Internet wifi access is extra, except in the lobby. I mean really...extra for the wifi? You are told to book your excursions through the vacation concierge in the lobby, only to get the hardsell on going to a 90 minute presentation for joining the Melia vacation club. Lots of things were extra here. Routine maintenance is not being done here, and it almost seems like Melia is getting ready to sell the place for redevelopment. We made friends with a family from Mexico City, who were here again because they had such a good room 6 months ago. They said they booked the exact same room and could notice the foul smell. and general poor condition of the resort in just 6 months time. Lots of tiles missing on the steps of the pool. The beds are comfortable, but they are all small doubles. Having said all that, this place is very kid friendly. With lots of activities for the youngsters. If you're looking for a party resort or adult only resort, you may not want to choose the Melia.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 433MP6AK
Wakefield, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Was very fortunate to spend 6 fantastic days at Melia. Staff were extremely helpful, kind, friendly. They couldn't do more to make you feel welcome and important. The food was very flavorful, well presented, plentiful. Hotel is very clean, safe, nice decor and well located amid other stores, restaurants, etc which are within walking distance. Activities and shows were pleasantly entertaining. Drinks were flowing quickly. Bartenders always with smiles and whipping up cocktails at a blink of an eye. Huge swimming pool with nice swim up bar, water basketball and volley ball or if you prefer lying under a palapa on the beach. Also, a nice kiddie pool which was seperate from adult pool. I hated leaving. I have travel around the world and have not yet met a more friendly and hospitable enviornment.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank AdrianaTF
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you so much for let us know your experience in Meliá Puerto Vallarta. Definitely comments like yours are our goal, thank you for giving us the oportunity to serve you in your recent stay in Puerto Vallarta. Theres nothing more pleasent that read your comments and know that we became an important factor for your vacation.

We'll be waiting for you with open arms!

Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

I stayed there for 5 days. The hotel is not new but is pretty nice.
One thing I didn't enjoy is the music at the pool, it's from the 90's and it might need an update. The food and beverages are great.
I rate my overall experience as good.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank dariogprado
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write and letting us know your comments about your recent stay with us. Thanks for your feedback, these help us to give better service to you and all our guests.

We hope see you soon in your next visit to Puerto Vallarta.

Saludos Cordiales,

Guest Experience Manager.
Houston (most of the time)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

The hotel is pretty good. I thought the service and food was pretty good for an all inclusive place. I stayed a week and they had enough variety to make sure the meals didn't get old. It did not include top shelf drinks. The staff were nice and accommodating. I had a room on the M level floor with an ocean view and it was a great view. No complaints there. The actual resort has the open feel and is somewhat dated. It could stand some upgrading, but nothing really glaring. Just dated in some places. The spa service was actually outstanding. I had the best massage in life in this hotel. I wanted to bring that lady back in my luggage. I also left my phone in the room and it was turned in and mailed back to me. That speaks to the character of the workers at the place.

Being able to workout while on vacation is a big thing to me and that workout room was just not up to par. The treadmills and other equipment was in poor shape. Usable, but barely. That's really the main reason for a 3 star rating vs. 4 star. The resort is also very, very kid friendly. It's not so bad if you like the kids and need them to be occupied. For someone like me, it was annoying at times.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Goodnamesrgone
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Definitely, your comments help us to improve some areas in the hotel, you can be assured that we will be following up on your points. Again, thank you so much for letting us know your comments and serve you in your recent stay in Puerto Vallarta.

Kind Regards,