“Great location”

Ranked #99 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Hillsboro, Oregon
“Great location”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Stayed 4 nights last week. Place was great for my girlfriend and I. View was awesome. I would echo what others have said - you are going to do some hiking up and down stairs and a steep driveway but it is well worth it.

Double doors to balcony open all night and listened to crashing of waves on rocks below our room - would have been too loud if anything other than that was making the noise.

Tried the restaurant on the roof and the one above the beach many times. Food was very good, possibly a bit steep dollar wise but nothing else is close. We did eventually go to the store (rode bus which is easy, cheap and runs frequently) to stock up on some basics so that we could cook breakfast in the room and of course to stock up on beer.

Air conditioner worked fine, only needed it a couple times due to ocean breeze.

Couldn't get the tv to work but it might have been operator error. Never did ask for help since we didn't really care.

The little beach out front was the best. Beautiful, not crowded ever unless you count pelicans. Then again we stayed Monday thru Friday so things might be different on the weekend.

Planning on going back soon.

Room Tip: Was in 403 and loved it. Had the spa tub on balcony.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Matthewwarren51907

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Friends, this hotel is not for everyone. If you have mobility problems, don't even think about it. This hotel is built on a cliffside and does not have an elevator. What it does have, however, are million dollar views from each and every room. I really like my room. It's spacious, has a frig, 4 burner stove and limited kitchenware. Because of the ocean breeze, we have yet to close the balcony doors or turn on the air conditioning. Playa Concha Chinas is midway between town and Mismaloya. There's not really much to do at the hotel other than veg. There is a restaurant downstairs (which I quite frankly thought was horrible) and the restaurant El Set is right off the lobby (which I quite frankly think is very good). The bus stop is not far away and 8 pesos will get you to Viejo Vallarta. There's a convenience store about 2 blocks, but trust me, you wouldn't want to walk up that driveway more than once a day! The beach in front of the hotel is very rocky, but there are some swimming spots. High tide eats up most of the beach. I would probably stay here again though I can see the convenience of staying in town. The purple and red sunsets here have stolen my heart though. It will be hard to leave.

Room Tip: Some of the balconies get sun and other's don't. If this is important to you, ask before yo...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KYMary
Ingolf
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed here for two weeks February 2012. We had a studio room looking right over the beach ( I think all the rooms have a beach view), two double beds and a kitchenette. Not a five star but very comfortable for an extended stay and very reasonably priced. There is a restaurant on the lower level that is right on the beach that we ate at several times and always enjoyed the meals and "Happy Hour", just listen for the bell. The beach in front of the hotel is small and has large rocks providing private nooks to camp out in but there plenty of other larger beaches close by. The beaches in this area are never crowded. We walked from the hotel in to town on the beaches and rarely saw more than a few people until we go closer to downtown. Took the local bus in to town and to serval other locations several times as one of the main bus routes is right out their front door. The only complaint I had was due to the noise from the villa located next door that was rented out to a group of youngsters out for a good time. The hotel assured me that it was only an issue during school break so bring ear plugs if your booking during any holidays. The managers at the front desk were very helpful.

Room Tip: Tried to book it through my travel agent but she was told there was no room. Expedia claimed to have...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Roy W
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We had a great visit to playa conchas chinas. The room was great and employees were all very Friendly and accomidating. Would stay again

I visited Vallarta with family and friends, friends who had never be to the ocean before. We had a great time. The rooms were ocean view and just down the steps was the beach. There is a restaurant you walk through to get to the beach that offers great ceviche and 2 for 1 happy hour.

We did a lot of day tours so we were mostly in the hotel later in the afternoon or early morning but the location of the hotel was great to travel to the vallarta zoo along with getting picked up for zip lining tours and marietas island tours right buy the gas station about a 5 minute walk down the road. There is bus that drops you off at the road leading to the zoo for a couple cents and right at the stop there was a little stand, a lady offered us to take horses to the main entrance which was about 1 mile walk for only about $5. It was well worth it and fun!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Nothing has changed since my first review of this hotel around a year ago. It's still beautiful, the beds are still rock hard, it's still a fantastic value. I do wish they'd get rid of some of the tables around the pool area & put more lounge chairs in place instead. It's a little ridiculous that there are literally only TWO lounge chairs around the pool (same as last year).

I requested the same room I stayed in last year & they accommodated the request. As was true last year, the A/C worked great & television reception was perfect. This hotel is my favorite "hidden gem" hotel in PV. Like other reviewers have said, it's not fancy, the beds are incredibly hard & service is not the friendliest I've ever experienced...but it's a beautiful place. I love it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SoloTraveler323
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I love the hotel. THe location is perfect, it has a million $$ view. I also love that you can walk from the hotel room, down to the beach without changing, I can stay in my bathing suit. It's very quiet, it's close to the Old Vallarta location. We could take a cab or bus down to the old town, which is what we like, not New Vallarta. The staff is great! very friendly, lots of advice on the area. I also like the old style, of the lobby. If I were going to say anything, I'd say that the rooms need some renovation, and the kitchenettes need to be upgraded, and made newer. I think that if you did that, I'd be OK to pay more for the rooms. "

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank andrewdob
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My friend got married in vallarta so i went there for third time on 2008 august,and i met this beautiful beach,it is very near vallarta and the color of the water was so blue and clear, i recommend it to anyone that is planning to go to vallarta. You wont feel in vallarta, and also you can do snorkeling.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo