“Wow what a pleasant surprise!”

Playa Conchas Chinas Hotel
Ranked #73 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 14 March 2014

So glad I chose a hotel using trip advisor! This hotel had good ratings, but when I arrived with my daughter we gasped at the view from our room. We had a large balcon overlooking the azure bay with palm tree swaying in the wind. The ocean was right there. We slept with the doors open so we could hear the surf hitting the beach. The room was clean and spacious with two beds. The beds are very firm, but we like that. We walked to Puerto Vallarta every day and sometimes took a bus back. The bus fare is 8 pesos and only takes a few minutes to return to the hotel if you are ready to relax. You can walk to town on the beach or on a narrow, cobblestone street near the beach. You do not need to walk on the main highway but a very short distance from the hotel. The restaurant on the beach in front of the hotel was very nice, too. We highly recommend Playa Conchas Chinas and will visit again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Anne W

Reviewed 13 March 2014

My husband and I were so excited to be able to travel to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for the first time. We arrived of a warm sunny day, rented a car and started our drive to what we thought would be a romantic hotel. "Night of the Iguana" was filmed there with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. What could be more romantic? Staying elsewhere! . There are 6 floors between the lobby and the beach No elevator! The first thing that came to our attention was the dirt-everywhere. Lobby, air conditioner, fan. Seems no one in the hotel knows how to clean. Coming off the sand, the foot shower was broken and a dirty towel is there to wipe your feet. Lights in the halls either had socket broken or bulbs burned out. Needless to say we didn't stay. On the positive is the location and the beautiful water view a really great restaurant downstairs that belongs to the timeshare next door. Don't waste your time or money.

Room Tip: Tip would be "don't stay there"
5  Thank elevinz_11
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed at Playa Conchas Chinas as another friend had been staying there for several weeks. We loved being away from the hyper activity of the centre of PV. The hotel clings to a hillside and has a million steps. The rooms are well furnished with view terrace, small stove elements, fridge, dishes, etc. Highlight was the beachside restaurant featuring very good food options and attractive Happy Hour prices. Swimming pool is small and very cold. Staff is universally friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay there if returning to PV.

Room Tip: Small hotel with accommodation ranging from single rooms to luxury suites, all with view.
1  Thank ZipoDoug
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This small hotel is what I call "Old Mexico", and I love it! If you want hi-rise glitz & glamor, go elsewhere, but for totally laid back lazy days on the beach... check you attitude at the door, and just enjoy the natural beauty of Mexico, customs and charm. We've been return about 5 years running, and found the staff outstanding, esp Salvador, the reservation manger at the front desk, and Alejandro the "Beach Guy", who helps bring out lounges, cushions. Ask and you shall receive. A smile and/or tip doesn't hurt, but there is no pressure to buy drinks or food, in order to spend your day lounging on the beach watching pelicans, and maybe a whale or two. The rooms are spacious with classic Mexican decor: lamps, tile floor, tile sink, etc, ( not marble and granite) and have always been spotlessly clean. The tub/shower drain was slow, but the water hot, and pressure high! We left the 4 folding glass doors open all night and slept to the sound of the water. A/C available but not needed!
We ate most meals at La Playita, at the 1st floor level, just steps up from the beach. Good food, excellent seasoned waiters. Breakfast is outstanding. Also easy 2 mile walk to town on the beach at low tide, or even easier bus ride (8 pesos) stop at front of hotel, for dining in town.
Spring break brings partiers to next door property. Bring ear plugs, or book other month! Physical dexterity needed. 4 floors, no elevador. Depending on what room & floor you choose, you still need to go up & down. The front desk will carry your luggage, so that's not a problem, but for general going to/fro you need your own good knees!

7  Thank Holidz
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This place has great potential. Unfortunately, I can't see it realizing that potential unless it's sold. I was looking for a clean budget-friendly option for nine nights and what I got was something entirely different. When I walked into the first room, I noticed the fantastic view. Great! Then, I noticed a rather large hole in the wall next to the air conditioner, one big enough for a bird to fly through. It seemed like when they bought new air conditioners two or three decades ago, the units weren't as big as the old ones. So rather than properly fill in the gap, they just used Styrofoam to cover it up. Part of the Styrofoam ripped off, but they still rented out the room -- 306 -- anyway. In the next room the bottoms of my feet turned black walking around because the floor was so dirty. The window in the bathroom was so badly rusted out that you couldn't close it, which again meant birds and bugs could easily get in. At least I could shut the door to the bathroom, so I didn't have to worry about getting any droppings in my sleep. Also, the people who said the mattresses were harder than concrete weren't kidding.

On the plus side, the pool was nice enough. But there were only two cheap, plastic lounge chairs. I don't mind that there were the cheap, plastic lounge kind. But is it really too much to ask that A) they not be cracked; and B) you put out a few more of them? This is, after all, a beachfront hotel and people might want to hang out by the pool. Just a thought, there. Then again, even the simplest services were too much for this hotel. Want to make a call using a land line (I know, how archaic on my part, but the only mobile phone I have is through work)? Prepare for an adventure. Need some change? Don't bother asking the front desk because they won't give you any. Folks, those are basic services that even the most basic motel should be able to provide, yet for some reason this place couldn't. The only thing they did right was they agreed to refund the remainder of my stay after I checked out following the first night.

Too bad, because this place could be great. For now, do yourself a favor and book elsewhere.

(If you think I get off on writing negative reviews, check out my previous posts.)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank justsomeone
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Stayed 4 nights last week. Place was great for my girlfriend and I. View was awesome. I would echo what others have said - you are going to do some hiking up and down stairs and a steep driveway but it is well worth it.

Double doors to balcony open all night and listened to crashing of waves on rocks below our room - would have been too loud if anything other than that was making the noise.

Tried the restaurant on the roof and the one above the beach many times. Food was very good, possibly a bit steep dollar wise but nothing else is close. We did eventually go to the store (rode bus which is easy, cheap and runs frequently) to stock up on some basics so that we could cook breakfast in the room and of course to stock up on beer.

Air conditioner worked fine, only needed it a couple times due to ocean breeze.

Couldn't get the tv to work but it might have been operator error. Never did ask for help since we didn't really care.

The little beach out front was the best. Beautiful, not crowded ever unless you count pelicans. Then again we stayed Monday thru Friday so things might be different on the weekend.

Planning on going back soon.

Room Tip: Was in 403 and loved it. Had the spa tub on balcony.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Matthewwarren51907
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Friends, this hotel is not for everyone. If you have mobility problems, don't even think about it. This hotel is built on a cliffside and does not have an elevator. What it does have, however, are million dollar views from each and every room. I really like my room. It's spacious, has a frig, 4 burner stove and limited kitchenware. Because of the ocean breeze, we have yet to close the balcony doors or turn on the air conditioning. Playa Concha Chinas is midway between town and Mismaloya. There's not really much to do at the hotel other than veg. There is a restaurant downstairs (which I quite frankly thought was horrible) and the restaurant El Set is right off the lobby (which I quite frankly think is very good). The bus stop is not far away and 8 pesos will get you to Viejo Vallarta. There's a convenience store about 2 blocks, but trust me, you wouldn't want to walk up that driveway more than once a day! The beach in front of the hotel is very rocky, but there are some swimming spots. High tide eats up most of the beach. I would probably stay here again though I can see the convenience of staying in town. The purple and red sunsets here have stolen my heart though. It will be hard to leave.

Room Tip: Some of the balconies get sun and other's don't. If this is important to you, ask before yo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple