“Really good value for our money-- Enjoyable time!”

Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort
Ranked #35 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Surrey, BC,
“Really good value for our money-- Enjoyable time!”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We have just returned from a two week vacation at the Plaza Pelicanos Grand, (not to be confused with Plaza Pelicanos Club). Before going I wrote a few emails to the resort telling them that we would be arriving but had some severe food allergies, mainly being completely gluten intolerant. I had responses from them so I felt confident. I want to go into this with my first negative emotions. First, being tired changes your perspective. I was exhausted after a long day of flying and not having enough sleep prior to departing. Upon arriving we were immediately hungry and we went to the buffet to eat and I realized that there was nothing on the buffet I wanted to eat/or was able to eat. I was close to tears. We have only been in large resorts before where there is a huge assortment of foods to eat so when I walked in and saw what looked like a limited buffet, I was nervous. All I thought was, "Oh no!, I have two weeks of vacation and food that I will not be able to eat". We must have looked totally helpless because someone came to help me,offered us a nice seat, brought us a nice glass of wine and gave me an alternate menu to order from. The person helping me told the "Capitan", (the head chef) in the kitchen that I had brought along a Spanish document, a "Celiac-Gluten Card", and that I needed to be very careful of my food. My card was photocopied and kept on file. That night the kitchen cooked me up a gluten-free meal that filled me up and helped me to start a fresh day the next day. A very changed perspective indeed! .
The next morning we went for breakfast and the resort looked way more beautiful than the night before (remember, I was exhausted). The breakfast was delicious. Lugaro, a wonderful friendly woman made us fresh omelets every morning and with fresh fruit always available, plus the most delicious coffee and orange juice, we were always good to go.
Lunch was served in two places. One was close to the beach and it was really pretty. They served the makings of hamburgers and hotdogs, french fries, and had baked fish, rice, soups, and fresh salad items as well as mexican -style ceviches, salsas and other options to put on a corn tortilla. At this point we were connected with Arturo, the restaurant manager, and Arturo, walked me around every food and together we navigated what was gluten-free. He helped my vacation in such a way that I am very thankful. He recognized that the regular fish being served was floured, (gluten) and he had the kitchen bring us a fresh-cooked fish from the kitchen that was cooked especially for me. Man, we enjoyed that!. We also went to the main buffet for our lunch because there were some days that the main buffet had delicious menu items for lunch. I would have eaten the same food again for dinner if I had seen it there. Delicious! There were a few other people on my food team who I need to mention who helped me with food when Arturo was not present. Victor was my special guy. He could not have been sweeter to us. Cesar also needs to get credit for when Victor and Arturo were not around. These men kept me healthy!! If we went to the buffet for dinner, or whether we wanted to go to the special dinners you sign up for, I was always able to order ahead to make sure my dinner was prepared carefully, and not once did I get sick. Two weeks of thanks are due to these very special people..
This resort is made up of people who really care about you and want you to return. The resort is small, but very pretty and when they dress up the dining tables at night with the white tablecloths and lanterns all around, it really looks special and feels very elegant. One thing that we didn't do enough of was go to the Skybar, upstairs on the 9th floor. During the day it is open with lounge chairs to relax or read and at night it could be Karaoke, live music or just enjoying the two hot tubs. It has a phenomenal view, day or night. We had a quiet room, #1264, with a sideways view of the ocean. We could have switched rooms, but we realized that we were getting great sleep, with lovely clean white sheets and pillows, two lovely clean robes for us to use, and a quiet atmosphere. We always used our safe in the room. Remember to do that!
There were classes or entertainment going on, (like at other resorts we have been to), but the best thing we saw was a huge sea lion and it's trainer who came to entertain us. How great to see that up close.
We spent a lot of time on the buses (hold on!) and we went to Bucerias one day and down to the Malecon and the Old Town/Romance District a few times, just to see the city. to walk and enjoy PV. Buses are great. They get you where you need to go and soon you get used to how fast and what a wild ride they are. Fun actually.
Would we go there again? Read the other reviews and make your decisions based on what you need in a vacation, but we would say "Absolutely!" Talk to the Resort Manager, (and I am sorry I lost her card), but she was wonderful and will do anything she can to help you to have a great stay!

3 Thank bluewatergirll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
ONT
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My fiancee and I wanted a quick getaway in January... not having huge expectations for where we stayed and we were blown away with the value of Plaza Pelicanos Grand.

The hotel was clean, well-kept, pretty modern and we loved that it wasn't a huge resort. The food definitely was much better than what we had expected. We recommend getting reservations for dinner rather than the buffet... we were blown away with the quality, freshness and unique flavors. Didn't taste/look like all-inclusive resort food at all.

The pool/outdoor area was perfect. Great views of the water right on the beach. The pool had a great layout with 3 separate pools and a swim up bar; though the pool inside was vinyl as opposed to nicer tiles... but didn't matter to us.

The best part of Plaza Pelicanos Grand was the staff. They were incredibly friendly and so helpful. We made great friends with Alondra - she was entertaining, fun and had great recommendations... she's a natural and a genuine host, making fast friends with everyone there and ensuring everyone had a great stay. And we loved Umberto!!! :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

2 Thank RYAN T
ONT
Reviewed 30 January 2014

It's a very clean resort.
Every members of the hotel like his job, and they are pleasant
with us.
Polite, smile,thoughtful, kindness, there are the quality
of your personal.
It was pleasant to be at your hotel with your staff.
Thank you so much.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank DIANE L
JAL, MEXICO
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Thumbs up to the kids club. The entire family had a great Christmas at the beach. Great service and hospitality. Fun activities for the young ones and plenty time to relax for the older ones. Unforgettable for sure! Food and drinks are good too and the rooms were nice too.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

2 Thank ROCIO Z
ONT, CANADA
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Plaza. Great location and excellent service. The staff was excellent and one thing I really liked was that your staff do not have their hand out for a tip every time they offer a little help.

I felt very safe and it had a really family friendly attitude. The pool staff and recreation director really involved everyone in the day time activities.

See you soon,
Ken and Gaylene Wright
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

1 Thank KENNETH W
ONT, CANADA
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Grand Pelicanos was a good stay. The service was awesome, and the staff would more then go out of they're way to make your stay pleasant.
The Hotel Manager went out of her way to make sure the internet worked; and upgraded our room to a ocean view so the Internet worked for us....thanks to her we could do some contact with friends, and yes some work too.
Bar and wait staff were awesome too, eager to please with a smile all the time.

The Food! Well, the buffets were horrible! The same food all the time. They don't believe in "seasoning food" at all. It was all bland, or presentation made you not want to touch it. I literally could not eat off the buffet at all! AND they don't serve BUTTER, only margarine which is just plain horrible on toast; there are reasons why flies won't land on margarine, its not suppose to be eaten. Our waiter Sergio retrieved some butter from the kitchen for us; but it was unsalted. Its a start I guess.
The specialty restaurants were good and they fed you a good amount of food. The seasoning and spicing of the food were adequate, and I would suggest eating here for breakfast and dinner because the food is much better, but not great.
I would look at not doing the all inclusive and eating downtown, because its cheaper and quality is much better.
Location:
About 20 minutes to downtown by bus which were very often @ 15 pesos for two people its a cheap and thrilling ride downtown.
Beach:
The beach is just steps down from the resort. How ever there were vendors always on the step trying to sell their trinkets; I didn't feel safe going to the beach with out being hassled to purchase something. I believe this should be better patrolled because I paid extra for staying on the beach that I could not enjoy.
If your a person who likes service over food, I'd recommend this place. If you want to be close to downtown with out staying in the core, I'd recommend this place. If your a foody....nope stay away, or don't do the all inclusive.

1 Thank DAVID R
Cochrane, Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I'll preface by saying that we booked this very last minute because it was cheap and the reviews were pretty good. Overall, the actual resort isn't bad. They had plenty of chairs, the pool was nice, but very cold! The worst part were the rooms! We were initially put in room 1252, which overlooks the street. There was basically no balcony and there was a pigeon nest above the foot wide balcony. The pigeons would come to their nest and debris would fall all over the balcony, you had to cover up a drink so as not to get any pigeon feathers or bark etc into your drink. This room, the sink also didn't drain very well so when you were brushing your teeth you had crap in the sink the whole time. This room also has only 2 small double beds and my husband is 6.2 which didn't work well. We went to the front desk and asked to change rooms and the young lady was very friendly and moved us to room 1270. This had a king bed and a large balcony so we were quite happy with the move. Unfortunately, that's not the end of the saga. This room the tub wouldn't drain while you were showering so you were standing in a foot of water with your own crud around your feet! Drove us nuts! At least the sink drained in this room. Anyways, one morning I woke up and didn't want to wake anyone, so went out to go to the deck. In my bare feet, I slid open the drapes and stepped on a cockroach! Gross! Of course I slept with one eye open the whole time after. The other thing is the food is really really bad. I'm a traveller to Mexico often and don't think I've ever had this bad. One night it all looked like dog food in the buffet and we tried a couple of items and just decided to go for pizza at Mama Rita's around the corner. We also tried out the a la carte restaurants, the only good one was the Brazilian which is on Friday's and Saturdays. It actually was quite good, beef, chiorzo sausage, pork, baked potato. Overall, I sure hope the Manager of the resort takes a look at this review and fixes those rooms. 1252 - pigeon nest and sink that wont drain. 1270 tub won't drain and cockroach. By the way, the only person I found to have a smile on a regular basis was Humberto by the pool. He was great! The bartenders barely smiled and didn't seem very friendly. The other person that was great was Sandra in the Kid's Club. She was great with our 7 year old daughter and came around the pool to drag some kids on a rock finding adventure down the beach. I think the people that review this hotel in a positive light are the time share owners. I met a few and they love this place, but for the people staying in the hotel area...not so nice. The breakfast egg lady was fantastic as well. I would get her to put the hashbrowns on the grill with my eggs to heat them up as I hate cold/lukewarm food.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family