We have just returned from a two week vacation at the Plaza Pelicanos Grand, (not to be confused with Plaza Pelicanos Club). Before going I wrote a few emails to the resort telling them that we would be arriving but had some severe food allergies, mainly being completely gluten intolerant. I had responses from them so I felt confident. I want to go into this with my first negative emotions. First, being tired changes your perspective. I was exhausted after a long day of flying and not having enough sleep prior to departing. Upon arriving we were immediately hungry and we went to the buffet to eat and I realized that there was nothing on the buffet I wanted to eat/or was able to eat. I was close to tears. We have only been in large resorts before where there is a huge assortment of foods to eat so when I walked in and saw what looked like a limited buffet, I was nervous. All I thought was, "Oh no!, I have two weeks of vacation and food that I will not be able to eat". We must have looked totally helpless because someone came to help me,offered us a nice seat, brought us a nice glass of wine and gave me an alternate menu to order from. The person helping me told the "Capitan", (the head chef) in the kitchen that I had brought along a Spanish document, a "Celiac-Gluten Card", and that I needed to be very careful of my food. My card was photocopied and kept on file. That night the kitchen cooked me up a gluten-free meal that filled me up and helped me to start a fresh day the next day. A very changed perspective indeed! .
The next morning we went for breakfast and the resort looked way more beautiful than the night before (remember, I was exhausted). The breakfast was delicious. Lugaro, a wonderful friendly woman made us fresh omelets every morning and with fresh fruit always available, plus the most delicious coffee and orange juice, we were always good to go.
Lunch was served in two places. One was close to the beach and it was really pretty. They served the makings of hamburgers and hotdogs, french fries, and had baked fish, rice, soups, and fresh salad items as well as mexican -style ceviches, salsas and other options to put on a corn tortilla. At this point we were connected with Arturo, the restaurant manager, and Arturo, walked me around every food and together we navigated what was gluten-free. He helped my vacation in such a way that I am very thankful. He recognized that the regular fish being served was floured, (gluten) and he had the kitchen bring us a fresh-cooked fish from the kitchen that was cooked especially for me. Man, we enjoyed that!. We also went to the main buffet for our lunch because there were some days that the main buffet had delicious menu items for lunch. I would have eaten the same food again for dinner if I had seen it there. Delicious! There were a few other people on my food team who I need to mention who helped me with food when Arturo was not present. Victor was my special guy. He could not have been sweeter to us. Cesar also needs to get credit for when Victor and Arturo were not around. These men kept me healthy!! If we went to the buffet for dinner, or whether we wanted to go to the special dinners you sign up for, I was always able to order ahead to make sure my dinner was prepared carefully, and not once did I get sick. Two weeks of thanks are due to these very special people..
This resort is made up of people who really care about you and want you to return. The resort is small, but very pretty and when they dress up the dining tables at night with the white tablecloths and lanterns all around, it really looks special and feels very elegant. One thing that we didn't do enough of was go to the Skybar, upstairs on the 9th floor. During the day it is open with lounge chairs to relax or read and at night it could be Karaoke, live music or just enjoying the two hot tubs. It has a phenomenal view, day or night. We had a quiet room, #1264, with a sideways view of the ocean. We could have switched rooms, but we realized that we were getting great sleep, with lovely clean white sheets and pillows, two lovely clean robes for us to use, and a quiet atmosphere. We always used our safe in the room. Remember to do that!
There were classes or entertainment going on, (like at other resorts we have been to), but the best thing we saw was a huge sea lion and it's trainer who came to entertain us. How great to see that up close.
We spent a lot of time on the buses (hold on!) and we went to Bucerias one day and down to the Malecon and the Old Town/Romance District a few times, just to see the city. to walk and enjoy PV. Buses are great. They get you where you need to go and soon you get used to how fast and what a wild ride they are. Fun actually.
Would we go there again? Read the other reviews and make your decisions based on what you need in a vacation, but we would say "Absolutely!" Talk to the Resort Manager, (and I am sorry I lost her card), but she was wonderful and will do anything she can to help you to have a great stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort situated on beautiful Las Glorias, surrounded by colorful tropical vegetation. facing the Pacific in Puerto Vallarta, close to shops, Teatro Vallarta, Malecon, Caballito, restaurants, and attractions, only 15 minutes from the Puerto Vallarta International Airport (PVR) and 7 minutes from downtown. The layout offers private and quiet areas, as well as active areas for recreation.The hotel offers amenities like outdoor pool, a childrens pool, two aerial Jacuzzis with bay view, a health club, and a childrens club, concierge desk, Spa, Bali beds, wireless Internet access (surcharge) is available in public areas, wedding services and complimentary guest parking is limited, Sky lounge Bar, tennis court, karaoke room, game room, a buffet restaurant and two a la carte restaurant for dinner ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Hotel
- Pelicanos Puerto Vallarta
- Plaza Pelicanos Puerto Vallarta
- Hotel Pelicanos Puerto Vallarta
- Hotel Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach
- Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort Puerto Vallarta