“Incompetent management”

Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort
Ranked #36 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed at Plaza Pelicanos a few weeks ago and came down with a horrible stomach bug that most likely came from the food. It was clearly going around the hotel as a number of people I was traveling with got it as well as a number of other hotel patrons. After not being able to eat at the hotel for four days, and having already paid for the all inclusive price, I went to speak to management to see about a partial refund. I spoke with three different managers, all of whom lied about not knowing that guests at their hotel were sick. They refused to do anything helpful, and worst of all, didn't even apologize for my discomfort. They were clearly never taught the "customer is always right" policy. Rather than seeming sympathetic, they all got defensive. They could have easily made me walk away happy and I would have been able to write a much better review. But, instead they chose a path that left me and many others as very dissatisfied customers. I will never go back here, nor would I recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank A K
Write a ReviewReviews (2,528)

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We chose this resort because of the the optional all-inclusive package. The resort is family-friendly and the location is perfect (groceries, restaurants within walking distance). Gorgeous sunset by the pool.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Hotel and staff are great -- service appreciated. The hotel is well located. Staff always are friendly and seem to have your interest as the first consideration. I would strongly recommend this hotel for a stay in PV.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Check in was fast and greeted with hot cloth and cold beverage. Room was clean and large but had terrible smell of mold. Discovered later it was from the central A/C. Didn't complain cause we liked room location so we opened patio door lots.

Food was fantastic till we both got sick then nothing appealed to us. Lost two days with fever, diarreha and do not know cause. Other people were sick too and front desk said it must be a virus in air. I'm guessing we ate something that was contaminated as we only drank bottled water. Hubby went to near by grocery store and bought bananas, Gatorade, crackers and pkg soup. Resort only served melons and we wanted fruit you peel. Servers in dining room are the best ever. Friendly and truly welcoming and lots of servers for size of dining room.

Pool grill and restaurant has normal items plus chicken or fish. They keep plastic wrap over trays and everything is dated, they certainly try to keep food safety top priority. They also have hand sanitizer in different locations.

Grounds are well kept and over all resort is dated but clean. They were always cleaning and pool was average size but well maintained and they did readings often. Only one pool and no chance of a chair. Also only one bar located at the pool, swim up or walk in, second bar on roof top. Great view but not convenient if you just wanted quick drink.

Beach is nice but very short. When tide is in, the water reaches the wall. On our last day, resort put chairs and umbrella's on the beach so if they don't have any there you can ask. You can walk along adjoining beaches they are all public. Lots of vendors but they are not aggressive.

This resort is great for young families and seniors or people looking for a quiet, laid back vacation. They play pool side bingo, cards and memory games. There is some night time entertainment but very quiet after that.

Great shops minutes away and old PV is a 10 min cab ride away. For the young at heart that want night life, we recommend a resort located directly downtown. People are fantastic and we always felt safe.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We got what expected. Clean, nice people, liberty and always something to eat.
We could always find negative points just to complain like most people, but overall, we had a nice vacation. As shown on the pictures, you can go on the beach and have a long walk. To go in the water, you need water shoes. Very appreciated was the heated pool with a view.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Our room smelled like smoke so bad I wanted to throw up and all they did was say that housekeeping would spray. I complained three times. The walls are so thin we heard the child next to us screaming and having a fit at 7am EVERY MORNING. After a day and a half of being there and eating and drinking nothing else but the resorts food my daughter started throwing up and having diarrhea. I was traveling alone with my 7 & 11 year old and couldn't get a maid to come clean the room for three hours. My sister had to call from the United States and speak to a manager because I was tending to my sick child. I requested a doctor at 9 am from the front desk which told me they provided that service. At 11am I left my children to go ask what the delay was (they said he'd be right there at 9am). The concierge told me they had no such service that I would have to call a doctor myself. At this point I am in tears and once again had to speak to the manager that finally called a doctor. Three hours later the doctor showed up and my daughter was hospitalized. Every staff person you asked anything about at the resort told you a different answer from the doctor service to where the game room equipment was kept. We left our vacation early and of course without a credit for the nights we didn't stay has been issued. DO NOT BOOK FUN JET VACATIONS. BEWARE OF TRAVELING ALONE WITH CHILDREN. THE PHONE WILL GET YOU NOWHERE IF YOU NEED SOMEONE TO HELP

Reviewed 25 March 2014

the two people on the staff that stood out the most was Edvaroatz at the sky bar & salvador at the pool & conducted karaoke the bartender at the sky bar refused to take a tip so we left it at the front desk. Edvardatz made us feel like we were the only people at the bar, Salvador was always in a good mood & loved his job, you could sure tell by his excellent personality!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple