“The Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort was Excellent!!!!”

Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort
Ranked #36 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Williams, Minnesota
“The Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort was Excellent!!!!”
Reviewed 25 January 2009

January 25th
Roseau MN
We stayed at the Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort January 12-19th in the Grand section. The hotel staff is wonderful and the whole resort is kept so clean and nice. This was our first time to
Puerto Vallarta and we had a great time and would go back in a heart beat and stay at the Plaza Pelicanos Grand Beach Resort again. I read a lot of negative reviews after booking this resort and was really worried but I think they were all looking for a luxury resort because we found nothing but wonderful staff that was always there to serve you with a big smile.

• Liked — Everything was so clean and the service was excellent
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank heatlover

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Montreal
Reviewed 20 January 2009

We have just returned from Hotel Pelicanos after 2 weeks of vacations, 2 adults and our 2 daughters.
This hotel consists of 3 sections and not too many people are aware that you can use more then you see at first. There is Section I, (Club Section), another Section I, (Time-share white building, where all activities take place), and Section II, (Grand Section).
Although we have stayed in Section I, we had there all we needed, lessons, activities, shows, etc. The only difference was that we did not have the access to Grand Building, (as they have the bar open 24/7, and our bars were closed at 1a.m.- not a big deal!). And their facility was newer, but very squized, which we did not like.
Section I has huge space, tennis corts and the Adult Section with jacuzzi, swimming pool and the bar, there have also two swim-up bars, (I recommend the one near Lobby at night as it is heated).
Food was about the same in both sections, a bit different though compared to Cuba or Honduras, and very spicy, (no wonder: we are in Mexico). They could have more variety, however, the restaurants a la cart compensated everything! Worth going!
Staff was very friendly and unbelievebly professional, (many people work there 24hrs/day). And they do not expect you to tip them all the time, like they do in Cuba.
For Kids they have Kids Club with trampoline.
In general: very clean resort. And what is the most important: Service was the best ever! They treated us like a king and queen,(our neighbours from Las Palmas Hotel were jelous!).
If you want nice vacations, you shoul go there! Hurry up before April when they will start to build a huge Time-share complex in the Palms Park, and everything wont be the same anymore.
Have lots of fun like we did!

• Liked — walking distance everywhere
  • Disliked — too many hotels nearby
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank BeataMontreal
Vermont
Reviewed 20 January 2009

I traveled with my boyfriend and 2 other friends. We arrived in the early morning around 4am PV (Puerto Vallarta) time. All the lights were out in the halls and you could see that the hotel and surrounding area was very crumbly looking. Those traveling with a better tour company would probably not experience this. We realized that they turn the lights out after around 2 o'clock A.M.

The hotel itself is adequate when viewed in daylight hours. It's actually a fairly size-able complex with a pool located in a courtyard away from the beach and a beach front pool with volleyball net (this area is louder and they play music all the time). The whole hotel appeared to be done up in a nifty looking tile (looks like a natural stone). The staff works hard to keep things clean, but the facility is quite old. Possibly state of the art when it was built, but it's behind the times nowadays.

The food they serve is not very good. We had an all-you-can-eat package that included drinks, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I am not a chef and I know I can make better tasting food. If you just want beautiful weather and you don't want to spend much, this is fine. You can always have salad, fruit, milk, and juice. The drinks are basic. The beer is Corona, and there is a short list of mixed drink (in addition to all your basic well drinks). The in hotel bars and restaurants all make the same thing whether you pay or not. So, you won't be eating and drinking fancy at the Pelicanos.

The front desk staff is terrible. They just are not very accommodating or knowledgeable. Our room had a very loud air conditioning fan, a bathroom door that trapped you in, and the lock-box didn't work. They clearly appeared incapable or unwilling to try and help us, so we let it go (one sometimes avoids making to big of a stink in a foreign country that you don't understand well). Then, they strung us along on getting an extended check out time for several days... even though we were willing to pay $90 U.S. for the extra 8 hours. This was partly the tour company's fault (TMR ... Tourisme Mont Royal). However, it was 100% the fault of the front desk for not giving clear answers.

All in all... the hotel did what it needed to do. It had a hard working staff running the place. The cab really is only about 15 minutes from Zona Romantica and they are waiting out front all day (100 pesos including tip = $7.70). The exception was the difficult front desk (probably reflecting poor planning and policies created by management). It was certainly not a nice hotel, though. Having spied many hotels around PV... I would suggest there simply aren't many nice hotels.

If you can, stay in the "Grand" section of the complex. It's way nicer and has better services. Get it in writing, though!

One more thing, La Playa! The beach is smallish where the hotel is located (and certainly not as pretty as Los Muertos). However, it's also completely uncrowded. You can do your jet skis or whatever there and there are fewer peddlers bugging you. Otherwise, go to Playa Los Muertos and experience the amazing visual effect of PV. If you don't mind walking, you can save a few pesos by having them drop you off at the beginning of the board walk. It's only about 50 pesos plus a tip from there.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank btvdan
CA
Reviewed 19 January 2009

I just returned from my second stay at Plaza Pelicanos, and was a bit worried before I left based ons ome of the reports below. However, although the resort has gone through some changes over the past year or so, it still is a fantastic bargain, and provides a great base for relaxation and rest, even if, GASP, the breakfast buffet is the same every day.

First off, I did not hear/see any construction in my four days at Plaza Pelicanos. Second, I did not see/hear any armed paramilitaries of any sort, so perhaps something was going on when other reviewers saw those things.

I stayed in the Club section. Unfortunately, the Resort no longer allows those staying in Club rooms to use the Grand facilities. It didn't really effect me much, though, as my room was large and clean, with a pool view.

Beaches and Pools:
Those who complain about the beach situation here don't know Puerto Vallarta that well. Very few hotels in the hotel zone have great beach areas. The best/most fun/prettiest beaches are closer to el centro, or north in marina vallarta or nuevo vallarta. But the beaches are all public, so you can go to any beach you desire. The hotels in the centro or zona romantica, however, tend to not be all-inclusive, and have one or two small pools in a courtyard.
Plaza Pelicanos has some of the cleanest, nicest pools I've seen. Even as a club guest, you have access to 3 sets of pools, including an adults only, the "beach club"- where there activites, swim up bar, pelapas, and other chairs facing the ocean, and the main pool surrounded by Section I (which also has a swimup bar). The pool areas were very well-maintained and kept quite clean.

The Food:
All-inclusive food is not usually great. I paid $85 pp per night at Plaza Pelicanos... if you expect to get great all-inclusive food for that price, well... But the food is more than palatable. It is traditional Mexican style in the buffets. Yes, breakfast is "the same every day", but that includes a create-your-own omelet station, french toast, hot cakes, cereals, yogurts, a variety of pastries, and other traditional breakfast items... I guess they could take away some of these some days and only have one option?? You also can get continental breakfast delivered to your room for free.
Lunch is generally the weakest meal, I thought, but one would hope you spend some of your days exploring the town and the gorgeous environs. There's also burgers/hot dogs/fries/nachos at the pool snack bar. Dinner is traditional mexican, with some variety. If you are there on the night of the "Mexican Fiesta", there is a special menu served outside as part of the regular all-inclusive. You also get 1-3 coupons for the a la carte restaurants on site, reservations required. This food is just as good as anything else you can get in Vallarta.

The location:
Pelicanos has a great location- the bus is 5 pesos and goes everywhere; taxis to the centro/olas altas are 60-80 pesos. This is a big advantage to Nuevo Vallarta, and even Marina Vallarta, as you can actually see things beyond your hotel.

The service:
I had no problems, but I wasn't particularly demanding. Clean comfortable bed, clean sheets/towels, clean pool area, and coffee and alcoholic drinks whenever I asked for 'em.

The bottom line:
If you want a vacation where you never leave the hotel and experience a Carnival Cruise Lines version of Mexico, this is not the place for you. I think a lot of the negative reviews come from people expecting a luxury American/Canadian hotel catering to American/Canadian tastes in food and pickiness, but unwilling to pay for a luxury hotel. If you are looking for a comfortable, clean place to drink, swim, veg out in the sun, eat most of your meals, and use as a base to explore Vallarta, this is a bargain and highly recommended

• Liked — Pools
  • Disliked — Lunch
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
7 Thank Adam1222
edmonton
Reviewed 16 January 2009

they put us in a terrible room that had stains that looked like blood on the lamp and the window furnishings...not pleased with that. they did move us the following afternoon.

my big problem was the food. this is no 4 star resort, the breakfast was the same everyday, so was lunch and dinner...some small variations to some of the items. but the selection was small. i did not see guacamole once. that really annoyed me. i expect to see guacamole when i go to mexico. my boyfriend and i ended up eating out a lot.

the staff was ok, not great. they were not like other resort staff i have encountered. they did not always greet you and were not so happy. not all though, i did meet some lovely people that work there, so not all bad.

also i was not able to order some drinks that should be available on a 4 star resort. dont ak for a mojito or a mango daiquiri.

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank laurierasmussen
chicago
Reviewed 15 January 2009

I spent a week in pvr over the holidays the hotel I stayed at was mediocre at best. Over the summer I Stayed at Plaza Pelicanos. It was great. I wished I stayed there this last trip. Good clean room beautiful view of the ocean. The staff especially Oscar Lopez was great. Very helpful, caring and attentive. It is clear he loves his job and the tourists that stay at the Pelicanos. Nice job one and all! WTB, Chicago

1 Thank wtbChicago
ontario
Reviewed 13 January 2009

We have stayed at the Pelicanos for 15 years, every January. We should have stopped at 15, the 16th was horrrendous. A new manager took over and his negative attitude had trickled down to the staff. The older staff were still great but there were not many of them left.The new ones had attitude and the security looked like they all just got out of prison. Not what we were used to.
The hotel was not as clean as it used to be, the food was not as good, and the staff were not as nice. The atmosphere had completely changed. The air conditioning in our room didn't work. They came 3 times and didn't fix it. We had to leave the sliding door open becausee we couldn't sleep in the airless room that smelled of must and mold. I read until 5 am. I turned the light off then and fell asleep. At 7 my husband was up and looking for some money in his pocket. It was gone so he woke me up and asekd me for some. My wallet was gone with all our money and credit cards. I had forgotten to put it in the safe because the safe is rigt by the airconditioning and they had left a ladder there. The last time they returned to fix the air was around midnight. Anyway, sometime between 5 and 7 my wallet was stolen and I don't believe it was a guest who broke in. I believe it was planned by maintenance and security. The nest morning a manintenance fellow came and said "look, they left a part out, and it was just lying there beside the unit". When the part was installed the air worked fine.,
The manager accused me of lying about owmuch money Ihad and where I left my wallet. He tried to tell me that I had been robbed somewhere else and just noticed it in my room. He wouldn't let me phone the police because he had his own security. He allowed me to call the credit card companies and then charged me $43. for the calls.
He never said sorry or anything reassuring, just blame and lies. We felt he knew exactly what was going on and was either part of it or looked the other way.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the manager and his security gang
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family