“Stay for the authentic experience and location!”

Suites Plaza Del Rio
Ranked #95 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We loved this place. We didn't want a all-inclusive serving American buffet food, so we found this place and really enjoyed the experience-- in fact, this is where Mexican families stay when they vacation. The staff does not speak much English, nor do my wife and I speak much Spanish, but the staff was friendly and we got along very well. This is the oldest hotel in Puerto Vallarta-- according to the many US expats, you can see it in the movie "Night of the Iguana" as the bus pulls into town, so it is a bit old although well maintained. The property is well-kept and clean and very convenient to the shopping and restaurants in town. A fresh water dispenser is in the hall, and it was empty a few times, but that was minor. A small pool is on the roof, but be aware that it's not heated. We also didn't have toilet paper the first day so bought some, only to come back and see the bathroom fully stocked with it! Our fault for not asking. We didn't want the burden of a rental car, and we were able to cab easily to local attractions (go to the Zoolgico de Vallarta-- the "pet the animals" package is pricey, but where else can you pet a two-week old tiger kitten?). We got a map of the area showing the local taco stands, and loved the experience. This is for the adventurous and culturally aware. Overall, we gave this place high marks for being clean, well-maintained, and cool!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave C

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I have stayed at the Suites for 5 years with the timing being 2 to 3 months.
It is a quiet location close to the Malecon, Mercado, and other shopping locations.
The staff is accommodating and provides support when needed. Our maid is wonderful and it is great to see her each year.
The accommodation is spacious and clean. There are stairs and an elevator. Laundry facilities are available, i.e. washer and dryer.
It is a social environment pot luck dinner provided by all the guests) and this last year the owner hosted an afternoon social event with local food and drinks.
I'm coming back again this year and look forward to my return.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We have been coming here for ten years, and the experience keeps getting better. The family that owns this property is diligent about putting income back into maintenance and steady improvements. Suites of one or two bedrooms are available and the staff, housekeeping and front desk, are a joy. English is not their strongest suit, but we all manage with great good humor. The housekeeping equipment is efficient, if spartan, as are the beds, sofas and furnishings. no one would mistake it for the Ritz, and house guests might think twice before coming back, but they usually do.
The Suites are about 2 blocks from the bay and it's frontage pedestrian Malecon. The nearest beaches are scant and rocky, but there are better ones within easy walking distance. PV has extensive (albeit dated) easy to navigate bus service, and this properly is right on the major north south route. Getting to the ever increasing box stores is easy, and the coasts north and south are just an inexpensive and educational but rattley bus ride away.
There is a strong Canadian presence among the loyal regulars, who having come here for years, form a easy going family-like support system. We have tried the hotels with their nice beaches, but wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jim B
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I have been in puerto vallarta since fed 2012,my first visit was as a guest at encino hotel for 30 days ,the hotel is rustic ,very clean and the staff is very friendly and go out of there way to make one fill safe and secure,the patio is beautiful and coloful ,nice for taking photo to share with family and friends, as hi season was ending ,i had aked about suites Del Rio,since most of the snow birds were leaving i was given the opertuity to choose any of the suites ,of course i chose 603 3rd floor view of the river and all the iguana in the trees ,and ofcourse a view if the bay from my own private balcony ,during the day its people watching ,and seeing locals at work daily ,after a while it becomes a home away from home,the locals begain to see you a local as well, it nice to be greeted ,after a year and 3 months i fill very safe here ,the reasurance for me is the metal gate enterance the security cameras ,and the local police that walk around the area about every 30 min or so,its reasuring and thats a great nights sleep, the staff at the suites are so nice and helpful every time there needed,they take a personal interst in my need to make me fill welcome here,love it i am a singel man and love the attention of some one making by bed cleaning up after me , and making small talk while having my morning coffee, now ther is the management part of this great place ,senorita claudia ,no mater what problem i have she is there to acomadate the situation ,promtly.my conserns are hers as well ,what a great person she is ,and of coures there is upper management ,they also are around the area ,with a nice smile and a greeting ,all in all the best place to stay in , between old central and romantic zone like being in two places at once, close to everthing you would like to see in puerto vallarta ,ooo the foof top wow nice to R&R,,, easy days .Great jod Encino see you in september 2013 thank you Claudia

Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank 1077colo
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I love this place. I have stayed here for 2 Decembers in a row (a week at a time) and am coming back for more next year. The price is UNBEATABLE for an entire apartment (bedroom, kitchen, balcony, dining table) with the best location in PVR in my opinion - right in the middle of the city by the rio cuale, just 2 blocks from the beach! The staff has always been great (I forgot my passport and called panicked from the airport, and they found it for me), the check-in process easy, and the other hotel guests friendly and pleasant. Having access to the 2 pools on the roof of the suites AND the larger one in the main building is a bonus; I just wish the rooftop bar was still in service, but I can see how it wasn't much of an investment. I wish I could live here.

Our party was a group of 9 people in 4 different rooms total (some 1- and some 2-bedroom); we took up most of an entire floor and it was great for "room hopping" at night. We even got to see a meteor shower from the roof! The only 2 cons, if any, would be the hard beds (which I hear is standard for all of Mexico) and the proximity to the crazy church bells during the Guadalupe Festival that is going on when I visit, but it's SO worth it. Oh, and we did get stuck in the elevator for a few minutes before climbing out, so don't be lazy, and I would recommend taking the stairs.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 April 2013

this is our third trip to PVR and our third stay at Hotel Encino/Suites Del Rio. However, this is the first time we used the suites which were wonderful to have a place separate from the bedroom. It was nice to make coffee and sit on the balcony watching birds and the people. Everyone goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and feel like you are at home away from home. You can't beat the price and location. I look forward to many more years of staying with our friends here in PVR

Room Tip: The jacuzzis are at the suites and the pool is at Hotel Encino. Good to know if one of these are a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ginny J
Reviewed 12 March 2013

location location location --- great atmosphere --- pool at Encino could be warmer but
the maids, front desk, and management team treat everyone great --- puerto vallarta
has so much to offer -- great side trips, great food, nice beaches, art, big clubs, economical
food/transportation/drinks --Police presence is big and seems bigger every year with 4 or more
levels of police (tourist municipal traffic state and military) seems safe but we are not out late

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends