“Don't Understand the Negativity!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta

Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #46 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Algonquin, Illinois
“Don't Understand the Negativity!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

Visited GCP for the third time the last week of April. The wife was a little hesitant as on our 2nd visit back in 9/10, the resort was showing some age with chipped paint, missing tiles, etc. Let me assure you....this has been taken care of. As a matter of fact, the week we were there, there was a maintenance man painting non stop........anyhow....those were just cosmetic issues.

There has to be a reason so many people return multiple visits. In my opinion, it has to be the staff. Grant it, i have only been there 3 times over the past 3 1/2 years, but most of the staff has remained in tact. They actually remember their return guess, and that is impressive.

The hotel is only about 10 minutes from the airport. Don't bother booking a transfer, just take a taxi. I believe the rate is now up to like $19 -$20 USD, but haggle a little.....I got it for $15. Trip back is much cheaper.......only $8.

Food at the resort isn't 5 star like eating at one of the Iron Chef's restaurant, but it is pretty decent and every one should be able to find something to meet their liking. In my opinion Paradise Restaurant (upstairs) is the best. Poppy truly is an amazing individual, and treats all his customers like they are family (maybe because he knows them all as so many are return visitors).

If you are an uptight individual with no social skills, the beach vendors will be annoying. However, if you are a normal human being, you will realize they are just trying to earn a living. A simple no thank you does the trick. However it you spend some time getting to know them as the human beings they are (they are back multiple times everyday), you can really get some pretty good deals on some pretty decent stuff......just don't buy on the first visit.

Now the people in the lobby offering spa discounts, trip discounts, etc. Avoid them by all means....they are timeshare people and they do not quite understand NO....they will tell you it is only a 90 minute presentation.......you will find it more like Gilligan's Island. You will never leave!

Time to start planning visit #4.

Anyhow....need to cut it short, If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank schleyrib

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
Raymond, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I have stayed at the Golden Crown Paradise All-Inclusive twice. The first visit was a little better than the second visit. The first visit was an amazing experience with very friendly and positive staff who were eager to please my husband and I. We had a standard room, which was fine. clean room and a nice view. It was loud at night as it was directly above a bar outside. we were treated like royalty. I made a return visit to attend a wedding a few months after the first visit, but without my husband. I was not treated as well. I did not receive any dinner reservation tickets and was basically ignored at the bar and near one of the pools when I was ready to have drinks. I have special diet issues, which was not an issue the first trip, they were more than eager to prepare food to my specifications on the first visit, but this was was not available to me, the second visit, and when I asked, I was treated like I was a pain in the [--] by the outside dining dinner waiter. I cannot help that I have stomach issues and allergies. I upgraded my room to a suite and it was more roomy and quieter. I loved the room, view and the other guests are nice and friendly. I will be returning with my husband in November and I hope that the staff is back to the way they were for my first visit. I love the ADULTS ONLY. This is the only break I get from children as I teach school and have adopted two children after raising my own two already. It is a true break from reality. Both times I was there, everything was clean and the weather is beautiful. There was a problem with the spa when I was there the second visit. It was not hot and it was dirty a couple of the days I was there. They should have shut it down.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Christina1172
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

"Let's cut to the chase"

My positive thoughts:

Great service from the moment we arrived at Golden Crown Paradise. The Concierge "Francisco" was helpful, informative, and spoke English eloquently. Salvador's restaurant food selection is fine dining with friendly waiters. After a long day in high humidity and heat, it's nice to relax in a cool air condition restaurant with soothing lit candles and soft music. The ambiance was delightful.
Our room and bathroom was clean, laundry service was reliable inexpensive and easy to order. Hotel is literally on the beach, no need to hike or walk long distance to get to the sand. Wheelchair ramps everywhere except to shoreline. I noticed standard wheelchair and electric motorize scooter at poolside, outside bar, and restaurants. Great accommodations for all...
ATM on site but only dispenses Peso's. Starbucks only two blocks away and Wal-mart is walking distance. Marina is less than a 5 minute walk for all water tours.
Check out time is 12:00 PM. You can purchase another hour or two if you need more time depending on your flight schedule.

Now my negative thoughts:

Beach vendor's everywhere! Tub and shower knobs difficult to reach, especially for those who need grab bars for stability. TV stations consists of only four English channels. All other stations are Spanish captioned using American sitcoms programs. Information desk in main lobby is used as a exclusive time share trap. Avoid if possible...
No fridge in room, only ice bucket. You will need to go to the main floor at the bar for ice or call for room service.

Tourist excursions:

"Rhythm of the night" A must see attraction!
City Tour of both old and new Puerto Vallarta.
Malecon boardwalk.

My evaluation is not to determine the worth or quality of this resort or it's hard working staff. Overall, my wife and I enjoyed our first visit there at GCP and will consider going again. You can see a short video of our room on youtube. Type in----> zhivago1955

5 Thank zhivago1955
Jersey Shore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

Reading many mixed reveiws, always makes it even more difficult for a traveler to select a destination or a hotel. Prior to booking my trip I read all the reveiws and was not too keen on the idea of booking here. Friends of mine have a time share with this chain and were scheduled to travel with us. They backed out out the last minute, and my husband and I stayed here from April 27th, to May 3rd. For the first time ever, I'd say the negatives are spot on!
Puerto Vallarta is one of my favorite place in the world. I will go back again in a few months, but I would not select this hotel again, and I cannot recommend this property to other travelers.
It is a rather small, older property. The location site of this property is off the main coastal highway, connected by charmless, dirty streets, and is one block from the Marina. Can I shout out a big "Yuck". The Marina has a flee market, which is a pretty sad too. We purchased items there only because we needed some gifts. I've spent hours shopping in other flee markets in PV, compared to the others the Marina Location is something to avoid.
Adults only, but located next door is the standard Crown Paradise. This sister hotel is a complete madhouse of children and activities, primarily Mexican families enjoying the child friendly atmosphere. As a guest of the Golden you can go next door but they can't do the same. The jacuzzi is there, and it's good. The French resturant is also good. The buffet is bigger than the Golden but not a pleasant beachside scence at all! There are bus terminals that are more desirable. The appearance of the hotel is perfectly ordinary. The location is less than ordinary. The beach veiw is blocked by the closness of the adjacent property and a series of large buildings that obstruct the beach coast line of the south shore. This is the veiw that is worth traveling any amount of miles to see. Stay in this property and it's obliterated.
The pool is very old but it is heated. The entire rim of the pool has a cracked broken surface. It's heated pool is the single desirable feature of the Golden C. P..
The pool side drinks are of poor quality, small and watery. The pool side loungers are shabby as well as the towels. Like every all-inclusive you will have to get up early if you have a favorite spot, but there plenty of chairs, no matter what time you arrive.
The buffet is below average. It is small with limited offerings. There are birds perched on the awnings and constantly come in and out of the buffet outdoor resturant. Most properties run string over the areas where this occurs to prevent this nuisance. One morning the bread table had a big black bird eating there. During another meal I was served a little poop on my shirt from one of the non-paying guests. Based on my observations about the GCPR hotel managent, they probably consider string an unneeded luxury. Birds, however nice, are not my idea of dinner guests. The waiters must be so accustomed to them, they don't even bother to shew them away. One nice feature is that you can order from a menu. The service is outstanding and the meals are very good. The Resturant on the second floor overlooking the ocean was our favorite. The resturants that require reservations are all quite good. Surprisingly we enjoyed all of our meals eaten indoors and the staff was wonderful.
The property is clean, and the rooms are average and comfortable. Ours, was on the 7th floor. It smelled of musk, and sometimes of sewage ?. The veiw was okay, but when I compare it to countless other trips to Puerto Vallarta, it really is a hugh disappointment. I've seen the best sunsets in the world along this coast. So I speak from experience, this is not the place that will take your breath away. There is nightly entertainment but it's similar to everything. Low quality and watered down.
I've read reveiws where folks refer to this place as paradise. I'm really mystified, because there isn't anything to get excited about here. Those with praise, either have very low standards, no expectations, or haven't had the pleasure of experiencing a great property, in a great location.

Room Tip: Stay at the Riu in Nueovo!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Nancy A
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

The hotel is well kept, great location, amazing staff, happy place right on the beach. We could not have asked for better view. We cannot wait to go back again soon and repeatedly. The drinks are great the food was wonderful but again the staff is amazing! The proper is well kept and the rooms are as well. We learned to walk less than a block to the grocery store, Soriana's purchase Gatorade or whatever over the counter mess you need and they will give you change in pesos at the going rate for the day-no convenience fee!
The spa at the hotel was also amazing and professional..great deals. The activities concierge was super friendly and gave us great rates. She even walked us to the Marina for our first tour and sent us off with a hug and well wishes!

Room Tip: Bottom floor by the pool was great for people watching and nice view as well.
9 Thank Ana M
Ankeny, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

This was our 25th/26th trip to this resort. And one of the many reasons we do keep coming back year after year (twice a year) is the staff and all the repeat guests that we have met over the years. We all become a close nit family (Management, staff, guests, beach vendors, etc) And this year was an exceptional year, as this was our first visit with a new General Manager at the helm. We got to meeet with him on several occassions during our stay and at various times of the day. So here are some of the changes that are on the table right now: And we all know too well, with a change in management there is a change in just about anything and everything (staffing issues, food and beverage, guest relations, etc). I think the Ornelas Family has made a great choice in the New GM for the Golden Crown Paradise and Crown Paradise Club next door.

We are sure that he will be making more changes in the months to come as he gets to know his staff and the repeat customers that have patronized this resort over the last 17 yrs for us, and for those before us, before it was the Golden Crown Paradise.

You know you are off to a good start when your taxi rolls up front and Carlos, Francisco, Jose Ramon are there to great you. and then you come to the front dest and there is Raul, Julio, Manuel to get you checked into the resort. You realize you are home.

My wife and I are "pool" people, we hang out with our friends (repeat guests) our new friends, first timers etc around the swimming pool. the activities are fun to participate in (or not). and yes those young ladies waiting on you all day making sure your drinks are to you as fast as they can. when they know your favorite drink before you even order it, you know you are home. Casadores Paloma for me and Midori Sour for my wife. And for those of you that love the "beach" you will have vendors popping in and asking you if you want to check out their jewelry (eddie and roger two of our favorites), their blankets (benjamin), little dresses (Gracie), etc... a simple "no gracias" and they move along. i am sure it is annoying to some of you, but this is their lively hood, this is how they make a living. Not everybody gets to sit behind a desk, or work for the resort, etc. So cut them (the vendors and the resort) a little slack.

Again, most of the repeat guests have their special spots at this resort. Ours is Paradise Resturant with Poly. We have known Poly since he first started at the resort as a busboy and spoke very little English, to the matr'd of the restaurtant. And when he was in a severe auto accident, all the repeaters were there to love and prayers for this man and his family.

The new breakfast buffet in Los Gallos is excellent. My man Rueben made me a great omelette every day.. it was just great... it had a little Mexican flair to it as well as your American style food as well. Fresh fruit, yougurt, eggs anystyle, etc etc etc....

Our November 2011 and March 2012 trips, i think the return guest dinners were outstanding and the number of repeaters that participated was excellent as well. This is one of the many things that this resort does for its repeat guests. whether you have been here just a couple of times to as many times as we have been or more. and the before dinner picture for a rememberance piece is great too. a lasting memory.

And to the women in the background that work in the main office (the worker bees we like to call them) are always ever present. walking the grounds with special guests, travel agents wanting tours, guests staying next door with their kids but want to see the Adults Side.

This is why the Golden Crown Paradise is a "Repeaters Paradise" to many of us.

Room Tip: Look for rooms higher than the 4th floor for view and noise levels. Pay for it and look at one of t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank tojol57
Kansas City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

We stayed for 6 days only because my husband twice talked me out of the hassle of finding another resort to stay in. I read all the reviews, saw the guest photos and thought I knew what to expect. I reserved the jacuzzi room at the hotel. they didn't deliver on any of the amenities that come with the jacuzzi room- mini bar stocked daily, fruit plate, champagne upon arrival, bathrobes, etc..We called to the front desk twice in several days to ask them to at least stock the minibar and they weren't helpful at all.They were likely mad that we didn't want anything to do with their sales presentations for tours, timeshares or Crown club. There was no information about anything in the rooms and we were unclear what was what, where was where and what was truly included. Although the staff were friendly- they weren't about to do anything extra (or sometimes within their job) to help with anything. Or, it was like pulling teeth. We even tipped everyone for everything every time.

The room, the hotel, everything was so overused. The door to our balcony had a very visibly broken lock.The room service was disgusting- stale chips, inedible breakfast that had tiny ant-like bugs crawling over it minutes after I was finished, ingredients in food (i.e. spaghetti carbonara is made with cream, Parmesan and garlic- not sour cream. Wasabi for their sushi bar may be green but it can't be substituted with pureed avocado[?]). After calling room service twice, they brought us champagne in plastic cafeteria style glasses- he said- we can't give you glass cause you'll break it (so much for being an adult). I didn't drink the water but was sick anyway that day from the food.That was one of many things that kept this trip from being special.

HOWEVER, I had a massage at the spa to calm me down and it was lovely. Once we finally got reservations at Paradise restaurant, San Soucis and Salvadors- all wonderful dinners with exceptional service- we finally started to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery. When I discovered the breakfast buffet every morning at Bellavista, I was in much better spirits.The ladies who serve at the pool/ beach were super friendly and hard-working and quick as they possibly could be.

We found out after my husband broke down and talked to their "info" desk (Crown Club sales people) that the hotel partners with 2 restaurants downtown Blue Shrimp and Si Senor. We went to Blue Shrimp- it was delightful.

My recommendation- this is a fine place if you have super low expectations, just want to sit and drink alcohol and don't have tastebuds or sense of smell. My recommendation to the hotel- please put a book in each room with all the information that guests should know for their stay and deliver on what you advertise on your website. If you can't deliver, don't advertise it and don't charge for it!

8 Thank Leamiran