“Depends on how you define Paradise” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta

Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #46 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Calgary
“Depends on how you define Paradise”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed at this resort during PVR's shoulder season. I thought this would work as it's a quieter time, but didn't consider all the entrepreneurs wanting those few tourist dollars (fewer tourists to focus on in town, on the beach, at the Resort!).
This is also the resort's construction & repair season and it's understandable the need to complete maintenance to avoid issues later. It's needed.....but is it too late? This is a resort's time to also minimize the volume of customers affected.
Sadly repair work impacted a number of guests. Some issues: elevators not working (hiking up 5 - 6 floors), water shut off (when turned on, it came out like brown tea from the tap), and air conditioning not working. These are basics that guests expect when staying at a resort.
Response: If it weren't for the staff (they are friendly, lots of them), I believe more guests would have packed their bags and left for other hotels. Lesson: People don't care what issues a resort has when trying to deal with it's aging infrastructure, they want what they paid for. Staff moved Customers, were empathetic, but issues continued to follow guests. The most significant issue was lack of reliable air-conditioning. For most northern people, uncomfortable 32 Celsius temps, with high humidity speaks for the need of reliable air conditioning. Some rooms had ceiling fans, albeit insufficient. Even as I left, newer guests were at the front desk wanting other rooms with sufficient air conditioning. New air conditioning system is a priority for this hotel, including replacement of individual units located in the higher end wing.
As for Food selection, although not extensive, it was adequate. Most of the time, you ordered from a menu. It limits what you may pile on your plate at buffet, probably better for you too. Generic beverages are served, brand names are absent unless you ask. If it's available, staff would dig it out of a cupboard and serve.
Perhaps management is not aware that repeat customers are no longer returning. Local nationals are now frequenting the property, reducing the occupancy rate. Not a bad thing, but sadly this is what happens when you don't invest sufficiently in a property to maintain competitiveness.

Room Tip: If you don't care about air conditioning, then the rooms all appear to be quite standard for an...
3 Thank TLaff920
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Public Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear TLaff920:

First of all, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I want to apologize with you for the inconveniences you had during your stay in our hotel. All your comments and opinions are important for us, that's why your concerns were shared with the GM and we are working to do a solution to those issues.

I invite you to follow us on Facebook so you will be updated with our promotions and new things.

Thanks again for writing about us, we would like to host you again soon in this your home away from home.

Maricruz Montes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
Prince George, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

First I want to start by saying to Angie below that you need to return to school and take English again, that review was awful. My 10yr old could have written a better review. My wife and I went from Nov 1 2012 - Nov 22 2012 and I have to say that it was a great experience. The food was awesome and the drinks were good. We would get up every morning and have our Bailey's and coffee downstairs and then have a bite to eat before lounging by the pool. The only problem I have with this place is the university students that come in every weekend and turn into dirty little pigs. I don't how many times I went to management and told them about these little animals. Flying in on a weekend and blowing mom and dad's hard earned cash, just to make my life miserable. They are disrespectful and treat the staff like garbage. If it was my kid, they would have got a solid slap upside the head. The only other thing was the crappy poolside music in which I actually convinced "Martin" to take my Ipod and play decent music for a few hours that seemed to get people into a drinking mood. Either way, we are returning from Nov 2 2013 - Nov 28 2013 and this time, I am going to have more fun drink my face off. As long as they treat me with respect, I will come back every time.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gina G
Dear Gina G:

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking some of your time to write about your stay with us.
Thanks for being such a loyal guest and come back every year at your home away from home.

Your comments are very important to us, it is how we can improve ourselves and make a difference in your vacations so you can know how important and special are for us.

Your family in Puerto Vallarta, we are waiting for your arrival.

Athol, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

My husband and I chose this resort because we are on a budget, the reviews and resort pictures looked great, thought it to be the best bang for our buck. We reserved in March and traveled in September, (for his 50th birthday) so in between the booking and our arrival we read lots of great reviews and lots of scary ones :) Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and were pleasantly surprised how great the resort looks and is kept. It really is what you make of it, have a good time, the majority of us have a positive attitude about a vacation/holiday anyway! Hopefully my long review will offer some advice to make your trip more enjoyable.
Food, the specialty restaurants that you have to make a "reservation" at were all fantastic in our opinion. If I could chose only one I would say the French was my favorite, steak, snails, and the wine flowing, and sexy coffee, YUM. The servings are small at all specialties but they had no problem accommodating and giving us extra, I also recommend you order, apps, soup, salad, entrée & desert...which will fill you up. Food presentation is delightful at all restaurants as well. You are given coupons upon arrival and they never took them from us, so we were able to go as many times as we wanted, granted Sept. seemed like a slow time for them. The schedule for the restaurants change, but the reservation desk is willing to help with that. There's always food available somewhere or room service. The buffets and outside restaurants were just ok, fish not good. Took us awhile to learn but order what you want, they will give you what you ask for if they have it! I ordered sausage & cheese omelets with hash browns, just what one needs after a lot of drinks the day & night before! We had room service late at night once, was just so, so. We always enjoyed getting out for breakfast, try to order in Spanish, we had a lot of fun with this, and think it improved our service.
Staff are all fantastic and helpful, tip they deserve it! The front desk, nice, but need to smile more. Servers were great, too many to recall names but they all were friendly and enjoyable. The activities group was excellent, lots of energetic, fun young people! Tequila volleyball our favorite, and we definitely planned our days around this, as one of the reviewers earlier (Chris) said. This is where we met a great group of friends because the staff helped to start the fun and get everyone involved. Eventually it turned into quite the competition and one day the losers had to roll in the sand :) Also enjoyed the water aerobics!
Drinks were ok, they are watered down unless you request "dubles" or top shelf. Wine, just ok as well. They make a wide variety of concoctions which were all very good! The bartenders were all fun, Jose our favorite! Imelda at the pool is fantastic, but never had a problem waiting for a drink with any of them. Again tip them, they appreciate it. Really wanted to try swim up bar but the sister resort next door was under renovation & the bar was torn up.
Rooms and the resort are dated yes, but we thought it was a charming place, not cold and modern. We had 6th floor deluxe ocean front, beautiful view! The rooms were very clean with fresh sheets & towels provided daily. They were always painting and cleaning something around the resort. The only thing that bothered me were the "placemats" in the outdoor restaurants, never saw them wipe or change them, just shaken off and set back down, with birds always swarming the leftovers on the plates (unavoidable).
As you can see I am adamant about tipping, US dollars are ok, go to your bank and get them before you leave, you do not get many small bills when receiving change, so we were constantly scrambling for tip money or leaving too much, which I am sure they didn't mind :)
Shade, true not much of it, but I think reserving is rude, maybe the resort can come up with a system so all get their share in the shade.
Weather, hot in Sept. and lots of rain, it never put a kink in our day because it is always warm and there is always a place to eat, drink or something to do. The storms cause rivers of water from the mountains/jungles to flow into the ocean so this time of year the water was filthy. However if you are on the beach around 10 pm you can experience the sea turtles laying eggs, then dug up and and kept safe in a nursery on resort grounds, then released to the ocean after hatched, this was the most fantastic experiences, so glad we went this time of year!
Club Nitro, hmmm, not too much fun, never busy, this should be changed somehow. We never did see the show, the night we were going the street was flooded from a storm. Go to Malecon, good food & lots of clubs.
Timeshare was more of an annoyance to me than the vendors, however we never spent time at the beach because both were there to pester you, my best method of avoidance was wear your sunglasses and don't make eye contact, a nice no gracias works too. Walk straight through the room in the airport, ignore them, they told us we needed to confirm our transportation, not true.
Excursions, we used Vallarta adventures and they were great! We did hear of someone buying phony tickets from a street vendor for Vallarta so be careful, go to an official Vallarta booth or book before. We went to Las Marietas, the snorkeling was great and they guided us through a cave to a hidden beach. Our favorite was Rhythms of the Night, don't miss this one, fabulous food & show!
We booked transportation through Greyline, don't do it, we had a beat up cab, no van as promised and paid triple what we would have paid for a cab, they all line up outside of the airport, and GCP can get one within seconds for your trip back.
If you are going on vacation to relax, be pampered & attended to, feel at home away from home in PARADISE, meet people that are fun, casual, easy to talk to, decent food, drinks and not spend a ton of money, then this place is for you! Have fun, we will return for sure!

Room Tip: Heard they all have great views, the deluxe ocean front is not much more expensive, beautiful views...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank happytotrav
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Public Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Dear happytotrav:

Thank you for taking some of your time to write about your experience with us. We are very satisfied that you enjoyed every moment here. Our mission is create lasting memories and when we know that we accomplished it, we know we did things right.

I invite you to follow us on twitter and Facebook so you can be in touch with us and know about our news.

Thanks again for your comments, we will be more than happy to host you again in your home away from home.

Angier, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

MY husband and I just returned Don't even think your going to a 5 star hotel its more like a no star there was 13 in our party and I loved seeing my family but as far was this Golden Crown Paradise was no place to be the place was in total disrepair when we arrived at check we where told after you check in come over to my desk to learn what all this hotel has to offer only check in at long desk as you enter don't go to the second small one its another trap Time share these people just waste your time with a bunch of B.S. nothing they say will come to be and then when you go to front desk with your many complains belive me have many if you stay here or there sister resort the family side what a joke under total renovation jake hamers going all day. and what a view of rubble taxis will rep you off even then front desk orders you one maids r great cleaning all the time you get what you pay for clean floors and clean sheet every day the maid service great iam not one to complain but if i can save some one the anguish its worth it your on vacation don't wast you time on this place

Room Tip: get ocean view on the adult side room 2511 great view
2 Thank Angie S
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Public Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Angie S:

First of all I want to thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel.
I am really sorry that we didn't fill your expectations. We appreciate you share your opinion with us so we can work to improve our quality and service.

Again thank you, hope you will consider come back and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations and make here your home away from home.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Spent a week here, first trip to Peurto Vallarta. The staff were Excellant, food was very good. Facilities are showing their age but was very well kept. Very clean.
The only major drawback was the venders constantly pestering you when you were on the beach or at the breeze bar. I have been at other all inclusives and they provided a buffer zone that kept the vendors at arms distance. My grown children were with us and some of the venders offered to sell them pot and cocaine. I informed the management and they said they would take appropriate action.

2 Thank Derek Y
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Public Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Derek Y:

Thanks for taking some of your valuable time to write about your stay in our hotel.
Your comments are very important, they help us to improve ourselves and provide a better service every day. Also, they were transmitted to our GM to take action about that situation.

We will be more than glad to host you again soon in this your home away from home.

Fairview Heights, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is no paradise..it was the worst place I have ever stayed and I have been traveling to all inclusive hotels for ten years now. By far this was the worst, they only had one place to eat, unless you wanted to walk to the next hotel to there buffet. And it always looked like a five year olds birthday party, because of all the kids. Not very friendly here either, elevator was broke the whole time we were there. There were two leaks in our room that dripped water over my friends bed. I could seriously go on and on, but I'm trying to forget the whole trip and the money we spent on this horrible place. If it's not to late for you get your money back, and if it is to late just drink lots of alcohol. And if you go to one of there shows watch out for the bats they were flying all over the place. Creepy hotel..

Room Tip: We upgraded to a deluxe room, don't bother you get the same view in the regular room and its clo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Linda O:

Thank you for your comments, is always necessary have a feedback from our guests about their perception of the hotel. I am sorry that your vacations here were not what you expected. We are a hotel with a high number of returning guests because of the warm welcome and the friendly staff.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us. We would like to host you again so you can experience the real quality and service we have.

McHenry, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

My husband amd I just returned from our first trip to PV and we got a huge surprise at the Golden Crown Paradise. There were no security personnel at the entrance when we arrived and the entry was drab and dirty. I found it odd that we had to get the room tv remote from the front desk at check-in. Do that many guests steal them?? Then when they give us a key to a safe with a lock didn't make me feel safe that my belongings were secure. We didn't realize this was a timeshare property and were told we had to pay $20 USD deposit for a breakfast the next day to hear about the resort. Upon arriving to our room, when the bellman opened the door there was a step ladder in the doorway! A ceiling tile was moved and wires were hanging down. The room was musty and dark. The tv was a tube tv and not even a flat screen. The bathroom was bare and we only had 2 bath towels! The sheers on the sliding door were moldy and dirty. By the way, the elevator didn't have a light in it! It was a dark ride up to our room!
We decided to get something to eat and talk to the front desk. To our surprise, only 1 restaurant was open at 4pm and the food was horrible! I don't even think there's was 2oz of chicken on the grilled chicken sandwich. Needless to say it was not grilled! We walked around to hopefully find something else open only to find hamburgers and hot dogs that were out in the sun with flies as the only option. The other restaurants were closed or "under renovation"! The pool and outdoor jacuzzi ere also under construction.
At this point we skipped the front desk complaint and went straight to the travel agency we booked through. They were great and were able to transfer us to another hotel that really was 4 out of 5 stars.
Please do not stay at this hotel as you will be unhappy and dissatified.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Heather S
Dear Heather S:

I appreciate that you took part of your valuable time to share your experience with us.
I am deeply sorry that we didn't fill your expectations. We try to constantly improve ourselves so we can provide a better service. Your comments are very important for us, they were passed to the GM and will take care of it.

I invite you to give us a second chance and live the real experience about our service and quality so you can feel in your home away from home.