“This is Lovely - Don't Believe the Negatives!”

Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #44 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
San Diego, California
“This is Lovely - Don't Believe the Negatives!”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We had a really great time at this resort and you cannot beat the price. Rooms are clean and the pool and activities are fun. All the staff was wonderful and accomodating. The breakfast was great and they have a buffet on the weekends. I am glad that we went ahead on booked this place despite the negative reviews. I think one reviewer even said this place was "creepy", which is completely unfair.

We booked all our tours through Irene by the front desk and she was so so so knowlegeble and friendly and had great recommendations. The Rythm of the Night tour should not be missed, but remember it is not for kids. Cristina at the pool was fabulous and kept our drinks flowing. There is a little turtle refuge next door and we were able to release baby turtles on their journey into life and this was fun and sweet. Tons of activities on the beach: vendors, parasailing, banana boat rides and jet skiing. This place is super close to town and you can get a cab there for about 5$ U.S. We met some fun people and made new lifetime friends. Cannot wait to go back!!! Thank you Crown Paradise Hotel for making this such a relaxing week!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kattalie
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Chief Concierge at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Kattalie:

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, it is very rewarding to read all this nice comments about our hotel. We try to make our best so you can enjoy your stay.

I invite to follow us on Facebook and twitter so you can know about promos and news about us.

We wait for you to come back to welcome you in your home away from home and create lasting memories of your vacation.

Maricruz Montes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We have been traveling for years and have stayed 4 times with these folks. Each time was a joy and they work hard to make your stay a nice one. We just booked a week in January 2014 and don't have a concern at all about having a wonderful time. We are taking our son and wife, first time out of country, and we know they will have fun. I don't understand some of these bad reviews. You have bad luck following you and should stay in the states. We look forward in being there in January. Thanks for all you do and your hard work to make us comfortable.
See you then.

Room Tip: You can go next door to the buffet and they have some pretty good food. Good hamburgers by the pool...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Coach6435
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Public Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Coach6435:

Thanks for sharing about your experiences with us. Is very rewarding to know that we have such a loyal guests coming back every year and the most important that we create lasting memories in your hearts.

I invite you to follow us on Facebook so you can be informed about all our news and promos.

Thanks again for taking the time to write about our hotel. We will wait for you in your home away from home to make a great stay.

Moose Jaw
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This was my first time to Mexico, and my first time travelling really--that being said, I don't think that my expectations were TOO high (with perhaps the exception of higher quality food).

I'll start with the good:
Room service was prompt and friendly.
Rooms were neat and tidy.
Rooms were spacious and rather pretty.
Air conditioning was good.
Booze was delicious and bartenders were awesome.
Cleaning staff were awesome, we left out 50 dollars U.S and it did not get taken.

Now onto the bad:
The towel desk girl seemed to be perpetually absent from her post.
Upon check in the front desk guy tried to rope us into a time share presentation.
The food was not good, but take this with a grain of salt as we never managed to make reservations (the line was busy every time I tried it, albeit I didn't try hard).
Despite requesting a queen bed we were given two doubles.
Beds were rather hard (this is just nitpicking now).
At one point both of our room cards just stopped working. It was strange, and took a bit of a wait to get new ones.

I'd stay here so long as the package is reasonably cheap, and if you aren't particularly picky.
Oh, one more thing. Both my friend and I cut our feet walking around the resort with no shoes on. Definitely wear flip flops everywhere, as uneven tiles lead to a rather unpleasant sand-in-cut foot syndrome. This I will admit was our own folly.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Public Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear BrittanyBrooshooft:

Thank you for sharing your comments about your experience with us. Your opinion is important for us, this was shared with our GM so we can work to improve our opportunity areas and give a better service.

I am sorry about the inconveniences you had with us. Thanks for letting us know what you enjoyed also about our hotel. I invite to follow us on Facebook so you can know about our promotions.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us. We would like to host you again in your home away from home.

Calgary
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed at this resort during PVR's shoulder season. I thought this would work as it's a quieter time, but didn't consider all the entrepreneurs wanting those few tourist dollars (fewer tourists to focus on in town, on the beach, at the Resort!).
This is also the resort's construction & repair season and it's understandable the need to complete maintenance to avoid issues later. It's needed.....but is it too late? This is a resort's time to also minimize the volume of customers affected.
Sadly repair work impacted a number of guests. Some issues: elevators not working (hiking up 5 - 6 floors), water shut off (when turned on, it came out like brown tea from the tap), and air conditioning not working. These are basics that guests expect when staying at a resort.
Response: If it weren't for the staff (they are friendly, lots of them), I believe more guests would have packed their bags and left for other hotels. Lesson: People don't care what issues a resort has when trying to deal with it's aging infrastructure, they want what they paid for. Staff moved Customers, were empathetic, but issues continued to follow guests. The most significant issue was lack of reliable air-conditioning. For most northern people, uncomfortable 32 Celsius temps, with high humidity speaks for the need of reliable air conditioning. Some rooms had ceiling fans, albeit insufficient. Even as I left, newer guests were at the front desk wanting other rooms with sufficient air conditioning. New air conditioning system is a priority for this hotel, including replacement of individual units located in the higher end wing.
As for Food selection, although not extensive, it was adequate. Most of the time, you ordered from a menu. It limits what you may pile on your plate at buffet, probably better for you too. Generic beverages are served, brand names are absent unless you ask. If it's available, staff would dig it out of a cupboard and serve.
Perhaps management is not aware that repeat customers are no longer returning. Local nationals are now frequenting the property, reducing the occupancy rate. Not a bad thing, but sadly this is what happens when you don't invest sufficiently in a property to maintain competitiveness.

Room Tip: If you don't care about air conditioning, then the rooms all appear to be quite standard for an...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank TLaff920
Dear TLaff920:

First of all, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I want to apologize with you for the inconveniences you had during your stay in our hotel. All your comments and opinions are important for us, that's why your concerns were shared with the GM and we are working to do a solution to those issues.

I invite you to follow us on Facebook so you will be updated with our promotions and new things.

Thanks again for writing about us, we would like to host you again soon in this your home away from home.

Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 27 October 2013

First I want to start by saying to Angie below that you need to return to school and take English again, that review was awful. My 10yr old could have written a better review. My wife and I went from Nov 1 2012 - Nov 22 2012 and I have to say that it was a great experience. The food was awesome and the drinks were good. We would get up every morning and have our Bailey's and coffee downstairs and then have a bite to eat before lounging by the pool. The only problem I have with this place is the university students that come in every weekend and turn into dirty little pigs. I don't how many times I went to management and told them about these little animals. Flying in on a weekend and blowing mom and dad's hard earned cash, just to make my life miserable. They are disrespectful and treat the staff like garbage. If it was my kid, they would have got a solid slap upside the head. The only other thing was the crappy poolside music in which I actually convinced "Martin" to take my Ipod and play decent music for a few hours that seemed to get people into a drinking mood. Either way, we are returning from Nov 2 2013 - Nov 28 2013 and this time, I am going to have more fun drink my face off. As long as they treat me with respect, I will come back every time.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gina G
Dear Gina G:

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking some of your time to write about your stay with us.
Thanks for being such a loyal guest and come back every year at your home away from home.

Your comments are very important to us, it is how we can improve ourselves and make a difference in your vacations so you can know how important and special are for us.

Your family in Puerto Vallarta, we are waiting for your arrival.

Athol, Idaho
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My husband and I chose this resort because we are on a budget, the reviews and resort pictures looked great, thought it to be the best bang for our buck. We reserved in March and traveled in September, (for his 50th birthday) so in between the booking and our arrival we read lots of great reviews and lots of scary ones :) Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and were pleasantly surprised how great the resort looks and is kept. It really is what you make of it, have a good time, the majority of us have a positive attitude about a vacation/holiday anyway! Hopefully my long review will offer some advice to make your trip more enjoyable.
Food, the specialty restaurants that you have to make a "reservation" at were all fantastic in our opinion. If I could chose only one I would say the French was my favorite, steak, snails, and the wine flowing, and sexy coffee, YUM. The servings are small at all specialties but they had no problem accommodating and giving us extra, I also recommend you order, apps, soup, salad, entrée & desert...which will fill you up. Food presentation is delightful at all restaurants as well. You are given coupons upon arrival and they never took them from us, so we were able to go as many times as we wanted, granted Sept. seemed like a slow time for them. The schedule for the restaurants change, but the reservation desk is willing to help with that. There's always food available somewhere or room service. The buffets and outside restaurants were just ok, fish not good. Took us awhile to learn but order what you want, they will give you what you ask for if they have it! I ordered sausage & cheese omelets with hash browns, just what one needs after a lot of drinks the day & night before! We had room service late at night once, was just so, so. We always enjoyed getting out for breakfast, try to order in Spanish, we had a lot of fun with this, and think it improved our service.
Staff are all fantastic and helpful, tip they deserve it! The front desk, nice, but need to smile more. Servers were great, too many to recall names but they all were friendly and enjoyable. The activities group was excellent, lots of energetic, fun young people! Tequila volleyball our favorite, and we definitely planned our days around this, as one of the reviewers earlier (Chris) said. This is where we met a great group of friends because the staff helped to start the fun and get everyone involved. Eventually it turned into quite the competition and one day the losers had to roll in the sand :) Also enjoyed the water aerobics!
Drinks were ok, they are watered down unless you request "dubles" or top shelf. Wine, just ok as well. They make a wide variety of concoctions which were all very good! The bartenders were all fun, Jose our favorite! Imelda at the pool is fantastic, but never had a problem waiting for a drink with any of them. Again tip them, they appreciate it. Really wanted to try swim up bar but the sister resort next door was under renovation & the bar was torn up.
Rooms and the resort are dated yes, but we thought it was a charming place, not cold and modern. We had 6th floor deluxe ocean front, beautiful view! The rooms were very clean with fresh sheets & towels provided daily. They were always painting and cleaning something around the resort. The only thing that bothered me were the "placemats" in the outdoor restaurants, never saw them wipe or change them, just shaken off and set back down, with birds always swarming the leftovers on the plates (unavoidable).
As you can see I am adamant about tipping, US dollars are ok, go to your bank and get them before you leave, you do not get many small bills when receiving change, so we were constantly scrambling for tip money or leaving too much, which I am sure they didn't mind :)
Shade, true not much of it, but I think reserving is rude, maybe the resort can come up with a system so all get their share in the shade.
Weather, hot in Sept. and lots of rain, it never put a kink in our day because it is always warm and there is always a place to eat, drink or something to do. The storms cause rivers of water from the mountains/jungles to flow into the ocean so this time of year the water was filthy. However if you are on the beach around 10 pm you can experience the sea turtles laying eggs, then dug up and and kept safe in a nursery on resort grounds, then released to the ocean after hatched, this was the most fantastic experiences, so glad we went this time of year!
Club Nitro, hmmm, not too much fun, never busy, this should be changed somehow. We never did see the show, the night we were going the street was flooded from a storm. Go to Malecon, good food & lots of clubs.
Timeshare was more of an annoyance to me than the vendors, however we never spent time at the beach because both were there to pester you, my best method of avoidance was wear your sunglasses and don't make eye contact, a nice no gracias works too. Walk straight through the room in the airport, ignore them, they told us we needed to confirm our transportation, not true.
Excursions, we used Vallarta adventures and they were great! We did hear of someone buying phony tickets from a street vendor for Vallarta so be careful, go to an official Vallarta booth or book before. We went to Las Marietas, the snorkeling was great and they guided us through a cave to a hidden beach. Our favorite was Rhythms of the Night, don't miss this one, fabulous food & show!
We booked transportation through Greyline, don't do it, we had a beat up cab, no van as promised and paid triple what we would have paid for a cab, they all line up outside of the airport, and GCP can get one within seconds for your trip back.
If you are going on vacation to relax, be pampered & attended to, feel at home away from home in PARADISE, meet people that are fun, casual, easy to talk to, decent food, drinks and not spend a ton of money, then this place is for you! Have fun, we will return for sure!

Room Tip: Heard they all have great views, the deluxe ocean front is not much more expensive, beautiful views...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank happytotrav
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Public Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Dear happytotrav:

Thank you for taking some of your time to write about your experience with us. We are very satisfied that you enjoyed every moment here. Our mission is create lasting memories and when we know that we accomplished it, we know we did things right.

I invite you to follow us on twitter and Facebook so you can be in touch with us and know about our news.

Thanks again for your comments, we will be more than happy to host you again in your home away from home.

Angier, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 16 October 2013

MY husband and I just returned Don't even think your going to a 5 star hotel its more like a no star there was 13 in our party and I loved seeing my family but as far was this Golden Crown Paradise was no place to be the place was in total disrepair when we arrived at check we where told after you check in come over to my desk to learn what all this hotel has to offer only check in at long desk as you enter don't go to the second small one its another trap Time share these people just waste your time with a bunch of B.S. nothing they say will come to be and then when you go to front desk with your many complains belive me have many if you stay here or there sister resort the family side what a joke under total renovation jake hamers going all day. and what a view of rubble taxis will rep you off even then front desk orders you one maids r great cleaning all the time you get what you pay for clean floors and clean sheet every day the maid service great iam not one to complain but if i can save some one the anguish its worth it your on vacation don't wast you time on this place

Room Tip: get ocean view on the adult side room 2511 great view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Angie S
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Public Relations Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Angie S:

First of all I want to thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel.
I am really sorry that we didn't fill your expectations. We appreciate you share your opinion with us so we can work to improve our quality and service.

Again thank you, hope you will consider come back and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations and make here your home away from home.