Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #44 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

I was 20 when my mom and I came here for a bonding trip. I have health problems which make it difficult to walk around because I use crutches. I was very nervous about it but the staff and even a few guests were very helpful. I had been to Mexico a few times before and knew what to expect. We chose this hotel because of the size. I can't handle big, packed hotels. It was the perfect size.

Staff: very helpful and kind. Marlin from beach security helped me on the beach every day. All the staff were great but I do have my favorites for sure. Hopefully they're still there.

Food: do to experience in the past I tend to stay away from most meat except chicken. I tried some pork, it was tasty but extremely chewy. Beef was a bit dry. We didn't go to many of the restaurants. We went upstairs which had good food and the Mexican restaurant downstairs which I liked way more. All in all food was pretty good. I may as well add drinks in here. My mom loves margaritas. Unfortunately she couldn't stand the margaritas there. The limes weren't fresh or something. Turns out, thanks to the Golden Crown, my mom loves dirty monkeys so problem solved!

Service: it wasn't bad. Someone was always making sure we had what we needed. The rooms were cleaned late morning but honestly who cares? You're supposed to be on vacation not stuck in your room. I don't drink but only two waiters would bring me coke without rum. Not a big problem though.

Rooms: the room was small but there was enough room to walk around in. My favorite part of the room was the giant bathroom. Awesome tub! We didn't spend much time in our room so there's not much to say. Of course when we left the sliding door open we'd get some sand in our room, that's to be expected. The key to our security box didn't work but it wasn't difficult to take our valuables with us.

Shopping: bought some stuff on the beach. Knowing the area we were in we were prepared for the stuff to be a bit expensive. If prices bother you I suggest you go to Old Town to shop. More selection for a cheaper price.

Problems: not many issues for us. I listed a few above. Also $16 for Internet is crazy. We didn't pay for that. Not having wifi actually worked out for us well. There were no problems that made us upset or that there wasn't some sort of solution to. Our key kept breaking down on us but it ended up being our fault, we bought a magnet for my daughter and left it in the bag with our key.

I enjoyed my stay and plan on going to the sister hotel with my daughter this year. I plan on walking over to see if my favorite waiter is still there. I hope so.

OH if anyone can't find the switch to the fan pull the bedside table out a bit, it should be there.

Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Danelle M
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Hola Danielle M,

Thank you for this positive feedback on your visit to Golden Crown Paradise Resort. Nothing can make us happier than knowing we were able to honor our promise of being an intimate, friendly and welcoming place in Puerto Vallarta! We are so glad that you were pleased with your choice and that you had a great time staying with us.
I really enjoyed reading about your experience and things that made your stay enjoyable. Staff members are happy to know that their efforts have been appreciated, thank you for highlighting the excellent service you received during your stay. The team are all very passionate about providing great customer care and it is always encouraging when these efforts are noticed.

We are so excited to know that we will welcome you again in the near future at Crown Paradise Club with your daughter, and we appreciate your loyalty so much! Please contact us directly if you need further information or assistance with your pre-arrival arrangements.

Saludos from Puerto Vallarta,

Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at this location from Dec 28, 2013 thru Jan 5, 2014. When we arrived, we were placed into a room with two double beds and our reservation of Deluxe Ocean Front with jacuzzi either in the room or on the balcony wasn't true. They moved us two days later to a room with a king bed but no jacuzzi. They said it was our travel agent that made the mistake and not them and refused doing anything more than moving us. We decided we would make the best of it. The hotel is in need of a make over and more than just painting, seems they were constantly painting things including the exterior walls while it was raining. Our second room had a toilet that the water kept coming out of the bottom, took two days to correct. The showers have little pressure and the water smells of sulfur. The room was just dirty. You had to wear socks to avoid the crud feeling on your feet and your white socks would be stained after. Also, upon check-in, be prepared to sign a bunch of possible fees. For example, $60 for the remote control if not returned, $20 for each towel card if not returned, $20 for each room key if not returned, $10 if you lose the bracelet they put on you for food and drinks and they have to give you another, etc etc. Also, they allow two bottles of water in your room each day. If you want more, you pay for it. The food was very subpar, terrible actually. We tried the room service, it's slow and the food is cold and taste if bland. We tried the buffet breakfast, lunch and we also made reservations and tried the food in their fancy restaurant (only the look is fancy). All the food was pre-prepared so it was cold. Nothing was fresh and the portions are VERY small when you go to the restaurants. Also, you must make reservations each day for dinner or you have to order room service. We decided to eat good food and went to Bubba Gump Shrimp and Outback Steakhouse. The food at these two locations was excellent! Drinks are good here. The tiki hut bar on the beach is the best place but all the locations to get alcohol near the hotel close at 11 (even room service won't deliver) and you have to go to the "Club Nitro" if you want to have a drink after 11. We were in the back part of the hotel, right above the Tiki Bar and the farthest away from the Club and you could still clearly hear the banging of the bass in the club while on the balcony or in the room. Also, in the pool when they had scuba lessons, the kids from the family portion came over to partake in this so it's not just an "adults only" location. The pool was very nice and the one lady walking around serving everyone was great although most people would go to the pool bar to get their own. Overall, I was very displeased with the hotel. It is in great need of repair and nothing was ever clean. Also there were a few days it rained while we were here, so most of the first floor and the open air walkways were flooded. The areas containing decorative rock accumulated 8 inches of water in them. I imagine some of the first floor residents had some water damage. We were fortunate in being on the 5th floor. The are surrounding this resort is also very run down. There are cobblestone streets so the taxis are very rough and vibrate the car greatly. There was a gentleman on the beach trying to peddle "ganja" to my husband. There are a ton of time share salesman trying to get your to purchase and they harass you. Having the bracelet on identifying you as a guest at the Golden Crown Paradise is an indicator for them and makes you a target. They will tell you they work with Golden Crown or are a sister company with them, etc etc, beware and say no. It's not worth it. One night we figured we would order pizza and have it delivered, you can't dial out without paying for a minute package on your phone, not even local calls. So I called from my cell phone, they don't allow pizza deliveries to this location. I couldn't believe it! Also, the WiFi is NOT free, you have to pay and they have packages for by the hour, day, week, etc but if you go to Bubba Gump Shrimp, they have free WiFi as so does some of the other nicer establishments. Also if you are going to get a taxi, obtain change at the front desk as the drivers do not have much change and that's a way to turn a $5 cab ride into a $20 cab ride if you don't have change. I was just extremely disappointed in staying at this location. It's more of a spring break party location than a nice romantic place to celebrate your wedding anniversary.

Room Tip: Be sure you get a Deluxe Ocean Front room if you do stay, at least then you will have a nice view of...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Callie G
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Callie G,

We would like to thank you for posting your review. We are really sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience at our hotel, and were not pleased with our facilities and location.
I do feel I must add that Golden Crown Paradise is located on one of the best beaches in Puerto Vallarta, with the most beautiful view of Banderas Bay.

It is unfortunate you were unsatisfied with our food options and quality as this is one of our highlights, as mentioned by the majority of our guests who post here on Tripadvisor.

I apologize that we did not meet your expectations as we would have loved for you to have experienced the vacation we are known in providing and the reason so many people return again and again.
I understand that you were unsatisfied, but should you consider to give us another chance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly to make sure you have a memorable stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 January 2014

!st and last time at the GCP, alot smaller then we are use too. We went in low season end of Oct, cant imaging if it was crowed. Staff was courtesy and friendly, did there best to keep up. Only had 2 bars. during the weekend locals came in and the bars got quite backed up.Rooms where clean but very dated. Construction going on next door, and constantly being accosted by venders who hang around beach,pool area. Food was very good and a la carets great because they had time to cater to you. This would be different in high season.All in all very average payed to much for what we got.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank George M
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear George M,

We appreciate your taking the time in posting the feedback on your visit to GCP.

We’re sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations, and that even though you were pleased with our friendly service and food selection, you feel you didn’t make a good choice.

As you have mentioned, our hotel is not big, but laid out on the beautiful beach; also as an adults- only property we strive to create more intimate and cozy atmosphere, and make our guests feel at home away from home.

Once again thank you very much for sharing, we hope you change your mind and give us another try.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We have been returning to this resort for 7 years and it has gotten worse every year. The sister resort next door ( family resort Crown Paradise ) seems to get the only attention as far as remodeling and the Golden Crown just keeps deteriorating every year! As returning guests we had gotten accustomed to a few things they do for us every year that now just seem to be forgotten or very poorly done if they are done at all, even if you remind them. They seem to cater to the kids at the sister resort next door and just seem to tolerate our adults only resort, even the shows at the club Nitro are geared towards kids. You want to see any cultural shows? forget it, Mickey mouse is more likely what you will get at the shows.

Rooms are very outdated and not kept up, cracks, peeling paint are commonplace throughout the whole resort. The food here has also gotten worse year after year and even the "top shelf liquors" seem to run out at the bars quite frequently.

The people coming here now seem to be more Mexicans with very few Americans or Canadians and they seem to be catered to more than we are even though the staff complains that they tip very poorly if at all. The chairs will all be taken unless you put your towel on one before daybreak and many will sit empty most of the day with someones towel on it , its taken but not used and no one at the resort seems to care. Activities are also very limited here.

The only bright spot is many of the staff who serve you but certainly not all of them.

Too bad, this used to be an excellent resort years ago and I think its way to late to save it, we know because we expected things to get better every year only to be extremely disappointed and next year we will be at a different adults only all inclusive resort in Puerto Vallarta who will meet our expectations and will want us to come back the next year.

Randy and Maria

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Room Tip: Good luck, air conditioning works poorly and they have no ceiling fans to help, you can only hope to...
6  Thank Randy H

Dear Randy H,

I’d like to start with expressing our gratitude for your continuos visits to Golden Crown Paradise and for taking the time to write the review about your recent experience.

We truly regret that we fell short of your expectations and that you feel that our services were not up to the standards we used to have. I’m really sorry that you left disappointed. Our main priority is our guest’s complete satisfaction, and it would be our utmost goal to try to change the poor perception you have of the hotel, should you choose to give us another chance.
You can be assured that your constructive criticism will be taken into consideration as it will, no doubt, help us to intensify our efforts and improve our services for our guests.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Just a few weeks ago my wife and I were able to stay at our "Home Away From Home" at the Golden Crown Paradise. This was our 13th year of returning to this hotel. We always go there to celebrate our anniversary (this year was our 38th) and we had a ton of friends all through the USA and Canada that converged at the Golden Crown Paradise to help us with our celebration. The entire staff is the hardest working staff ever!!! This includes housekeeping, the maintenance crew (who is always available to help make some adjustments to my wife's wheelchair), the bell captains, the wait staff, the pool staff and management. I keep in contact with the staff all year so when we return we can pick up conversations as if a year has not passed. The resort has been wonderful to us and has given us our same room, 2010 for the past 9 years. When we arrived at the resort we were greeted by Antonio, the hotel manager and things just kept getting better!! We enjoyed seeing Antonio, Mariana, Poly, Janet, Paul, Danny (who always makes my dinner reservation for when we go off campus, Jose and the list goes on and on. Unfortunately Angie was not at the resort during our stay. Our room was always made up early and the maids always made towel animals or fixed our bed a new way. My wife as stated earlier is in a wheelchair and the hotel is extremely handicapped accessible. Martin and his crew that does the parasailing are the best in the business and knows my wife's limitations and helps so that she can enjoy parasailing during our stay. Martin's brother also does the jet-skis and we were able to take advantage of these during our stay. I went kayaking ever day and the staff makes taking the kayaks out so easy. I can't say enough good this about this hotel and their incredible staff. I wish them all a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year. Until next year!!!!!!!

Room Tip: This is the hardest working staff you will ever meet, please remember this and a few bucks spread he...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank kirkbstein
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This was our 4 time staying at the Golden Crown Paradise, and as always it was wonderful. not a fancy new place, but they sure know how to pamper a person. and the service is the absolute best! this year I had a problem with my ear and needed medical attention. they had a doctor in our room within an hour. the doctor was as skilled as any I have seen in the United States. very concerned about my ear and making sure I was okay to fly when it was time for us to leave. and that he came to our hotel room, try getting service like that somewhere else!!! we now have extra confidence in traveling to the Golden Crown, knowing if there is a medical problem that the care we will get is the best. and an added bonus, there were more television news shows and movies broadcast in english this year. a treat when we were relaxing in the our room before bed. can hardly wait to go back this next year!!

Room Tip: get a room above the main level so you can leave the patio door open and go to sleep listening to th...
1  Thank Marilyn S
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Many thanks to the staff of the Golden Crown. These people went above and beyond to make sure our stay was great . From Carlos, at the entrance to greet us , to the staff at the restaurants , grills, bars and to the housekeeping staff we found them all friendly and helpful . This was our eighth time visiting this hotel and the staff is why we continue to come back.The hotel is located walking distance to shopping and a short bus ride or cab to the malicon and downtown.The food is great and the place is fairly quiet if you just want to relax. Our welcome back supper on the beach , at sunset , was again a nice touch . This is an older hotel and dated but hats off to management and staff for their efforts.

4  Thank lskennedy2