“Nice adult only all-inclusive”

Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #44 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Lansing, Iowa
“Nice adult only all-inclusive”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed at Golden Crown Paradise Resort from Feb 23rd-28th, 2014. My husband and I met up with a group of 6 friends that had arrived there 2 days prior to us. We have been to Jamaica 6 times and this was our first time to Mexico.

Pros:
This is a nice adult -only for an affordable price with great staff. We have been priced right out of Sandals and some other popular adult only Caribbean resorts, so this gave us a great place to go and still enjoy an adult only atmosphere. We never had any problems with the food and enjoyed all of it. Get the sexy coffee at Salvador's! We ate at all the restaurants except Paradise, and enjoyed a couple restaurants at the connecting family resort. It was nice to be able to go over there and use the restaurants and the awesome new, huge, hot tub with swim up pool bar. That was a highlight! Large beach, lots of loungers, parasailing right from the beach, watching the cruise ships come in, long beach for walking, beautiful view: these were all things we really enjoyed. Pool volleyball was a blast! Loved watching the drinking games on the beach- what a hoot! There's an internet café just a few doors down that has 2 computers (only one was working though) for a very reasonable rate and I used that to keep in touch with the kids back home. Nice alternative for those of us who don't have tablets or laptops for WIFI use.
We had fantastic weather and went on a whale watching trip, a city tour that the hotel provided for free, and parasailed from the beach! Loved all of it and would highly recommend! We also ended up with a fantastic room with an unbelievable view- 4th floor on the corner near the beachfront rooms. And with room service!

Cons:

Our air conditioner in our room did not cool the room down at all, but when we told the staff they were very prompt about fixing it. However, as soon as it was fixed, water leaked in the roof of our closet and soaked some of our clothes. They were very prompt about fixing this too. No other problems with the room after that.
All-inclusive should include more that 2 bottles of water a day. Refrigerators in all the rooms would be nice.
Elevators worked but were very creaky and jerky. We always used the stairs to go down, and sometimes to go up too, since we were only on 4th floor. Didn't quite trust the elevator to use all the time.
Lobby bathroom had motion lights that come on when you open the door and one evening I went in and when the lights came on there were two huge cockroaches on the wall- hotel needs to treat for this. This was the only time I saw anything like this, otherwise hotel was very clean and tidy.
The vendors!! Ugh- if you lay in the shade under a cabana for the day, expect to be bothered by approaching venders NO LESS that 30 times a day (I know, I counted) I understand they need to make a living, however, it was CONSTANT. Tees, necklaces, hats, ect, ect, ect, Nonstop! I like how Jewel Runaway Bay Resort in Jamaica has it set up: one area of the beach that has 4 or so vendors set up selling their items and they stay in their hut and people approach them to buy! So much nicer!
No adult nightly entertainment. Club Nitro is a great idea, but the evening entertainment was all geared towards the kids/families. It becomes "adult only" at 11pm and by then it was empty. I would like to see separate entertainment like show/bands, ect similar to what we've seen at Sandals and Jewel. We were in a group so we made our own fun.

Overall, we had an enjoyable stay with a great group of people and met some other fun guests from the US and Canada. Also, a fellow Iowan had left something there a few weeks before I arrived and she contacted me through Facebook (saw me comment on Golden Crown's Facebook page) and asked if I could bring the items back with me. The resort was very nice to work with us on this and I saved the guest money in shipping. There is great staff there and I hope they continue to improve this resort with a new pool \ hot tub and better entertainment and we may go back someday!

Room Tip: Deluxe ocean front room on the corner close to the ocean- fantastic views!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Maryann G
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Hello Maryann G,

Thank you for choosing Golden Crown Paradise for your first Mexican experience!

We’re glad to hear you consider us a great value and option to spend a relaxing vacation in an adult only atmosphere. Thank you for mentioning the restaurants, the service, the pool activities and all the amenities that made your stay so enjoyable. We’re delighted to know you absolutely loved the view from your room, and had a great time discovering the city and its many attractions.

We apologize for the inconvenience occurred in your room with the air conditioning and for the unpleasant experience in the lobby bathroom. I assure you that we have a regular pest control program, but unfortunately these insects are native to the tropical region we’re part of and we strive to fight them on a daily basis.
I truly appreciate your observations and suggestions, and will share them with the management team, as it is from our guests’ feedback that we learn how to improve the facilities and service that we offer at the hotel.

I really do hope that you will visit us again and please do not hesitate to contact us directly prior to your arrival.

Katarina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
Olympia
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My family of 10 recently stayed here for the 1st time and have stayed in several all-inclusives throughout Mexico. Like other reviews - the rooms are older and not as upscale as other places; however, there are far too many qualities that make it great. Location is super - close to town and marina. Food was outstanding! A large selection of fine dining (inc w/ sister hotel next door). Tip: make your reservations for dinner directly with the restaurant the night before. The place is very clean. Service was outstanding. Drinks were very good. Lots of beds and covered lounges near pool and on beach. You can view the beach while lounging by pool. Wi-fi is expensive at hotel and sketchy. Tip:Go to coffee shop out front of hotel buy a coffee - get wi-fi for days. Tip: Book your excursions from beach vendors. Visit NachoDaddy in town for great live music. Visit Los Muertos Brewing for great beer!

Room Tip: All rooms have a view. We paid extra for an Ocean Front room in building 2. The higher-up the room...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank luvuhide
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Hello luvuhide,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased that you had a nice stay and enjoyed the great location of our resort, and its many services and amenities. It’s wonderful to hear you found the food and the service to be outstanding.
We truly appreciate all of your feedback and hope to welcome you back again in the future and provide you with another great experience!

Penticton, BC
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Golden Crown for week. It is a quiet hotel, relaxing but not exciting. The food was decent, was probably getting a little monotonous by the end of our stay. The beach is nice, with great swimming. All in all, good value for the money.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Mike D
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Hello Mike D,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your review. We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay and felt that it was a good value.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Pros:
Friendly Staff
Great Location

Cons:
Horrible food
Uncomfortable Beds and Pillows
Loud AC in the rooms
The non-stop street venders almost come on the property from the beach to sell you junk.
Watered down drinks.
No swim up bar at the pool

After 2 days trying to eat at the restuarants, I couldn't take it any longer. The beef didn't taste right and the seafood had a strong fishy smell. One night they turned off the lights for an hour during our dinner, so we had to eat in the dark. They even screwed up my breakfast. I ordered a chorizo, egg and cheese omlet with a side of fruit but when I got it, the fruit had a hair in it and the omlet was a plain egg omlet with a hot dog on the side.

The beds were very uncomfortable because they didn't have a mattress pad and the pillows felt like sandbags. The mattresses felt like they were 20 years old.

Since the pool is next to the beach, we probably had 100 people a day trying to sell up hats, sunglasses, adventures, shirts, jewelry and other junk. Since they do not have any restrictions, they practically come onto the resort. Also, the trailer where they store all the junk at is like 50 yards away, so there is heavy traffic of these junk vendors all day.

The drinks are weak and even the beer taste watered down. We finally broke down and went to the grocery store to buy our own alcohol and beer.

The staff was very friendly though. My wife and I have stayed at several All-inclusive resorts in Cancun, Playa, and Costa Rica and we didn’t have really high expectation of this resort because it was a “mid-tier” resort. But this resort was by far the worst. With the money that we saved by staying here, we had to use for cabs and meals outside of the resort. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: we stayed in the ocean front room where it's quiter
2 Thank Joey R
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Hello Joey R,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with as at Crown Paradise Golden.
While we are pleased to note that you enjoyed our location and our service, we are most concerned to read that we fell short in various aspects of your stay.

We would like to learn a little more about your specific disappointments with the quality of food you received. We are genuinely committed to providing the high standard of cuisine in our a la carte restaurants, and offer a good choice of simpler food items at the buffet and snack bars, and would very much value your comments or suggestions.
Please accept our apologies for not having met your expectations, and should you wish to discuss your stay in more detail, please feel free to contact me directly, as we sincerely hope you’d reconsider your decision not to stay with us again.

Armstrong, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2014

first impressions can't be trusted with this hotel. originally i was disappointed at the well worn state of the room, and the lack of an in-room fridge. however, the staff are so helpful and make you feel welcome immediately. i had a stumble and fall, and the hotel had a Dr. on staff who came to my room and treated my foot in less time that i would have spent at home in my own Dr.s office. and only charged $80. Cdn dollars. he even returned when i lost a repeat prescription, and left a replacement at the front desk. the hotel provided three different wheelchairs, which my handi-man husband was able to assemble into one that actually worked. except the rubber came off the wheel and one of the tourists had to chase us down with it, to put back on the tire.

Room Tip: do try to get a room higher up with ocean view. the sounds from the pubs downstairs is quieter. th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Hello Cyndy S,

We’d like to thank you for your visit and for sharing your impressions with other Tripadvisor readers.
We’re truly sorry for the unfortunate situation that occurred during your stay, but we’re happy to hear that you were well taken care of by the Doctor. We appreciate very much the time you took to let us know about your experience, and that despite the little incident with the wheelchair, you felt welcomed and well looked after.

It would be our pleasure to be your hosts again, please feel free to contact us directly for any assistance you might require regarding your future stay at Golden Crown Paradise.

Armstrong, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2014

An unpretentious all-inclusive adult resort with all the amenities and staff who care. Although a grand dame of hotels, she is well maintained and clean.
There is widespread smoking at this resort, so expect the occasional waft of cigarette smoke. The hotel could hire another chef to coordinate meals. Salvadores restaurant was the best, with the food quality at the other 4 restaurants while good but not great. The pool is somewhat dominated by sports such as volleyball and plays Beach boys covers and loud latino sambas. Don't expect to do laps.
We enjoyed the attentive staff and the mix of Canadian, American and Mexican guests. The Golden NAFTA Hotel. Good value.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are quieter and choose the beach font suites.
1 Thank Sturdyart
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Golden Resort Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Hello Sturdyart,

Thank you for your feedback and your kind words. Our team really strive to make every guest’s stay exceptional, and we thank you for noticing that.
We are so happy that we made you feel comfortable and enjoyed the facilities, our staff’s attentiveness and great company of other guests.

We’re looking forward to seeing you soon, and provide you with a relaxing experience and stunning views from our suites.

MN
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Just returned from a week visit with this resort I think you get what you pay for. This resort is a good lower budget all-inclusive. If you have not been to nicer resorts and this is for you.
The resorts is quite run down and outdated. It is kept as clean as possible under the conditions

Do Not expect luxury here in the resort or accommodations because you won't find it. I would rate this is at a 3 as it is pretty much a run-of-the-mill lower budget all-inclusive

The food is marginal at best although we always found
something to eat. I would steer clear of the outdoor buffet as
they seem to have a problem keeping the birds off of the food
and utensils which was cut quite alarming

Specialty restaurants need reservations by calling in the morning. Paradise was the best one largely because of the service. These specialty restaurants gave you a variation from the standard fare but then again food quality not up to par with nicer resorts in the area. Room service was a pleasant surprise the food quality was fairly good and prompt and free.

Pool area and beach area is nice and seems to have enough space for all people. Vendors do hassle you on the beach but that's expected in Mexico

I didn't ever receive a particularly warm sense of happiness and hospitality from the majority of the staff at this resort. There were some exceptions this seem to be the norm throughout the week
And was The common consensus among people we talk to at the resort regarding service.

Huge negative at this full-service all-inclusive is that you need to pay $75 a week for Wi-Fi service I found that quite excessive and uninviting for guests who have paid a lot to use this resort.

Keeping all of these opinions in mind if you are on a budget and don't expect pampering this would be a fine option. Have found much nicer resorts at the same price in the area and I'm sure there are resorts that are much worse

Well we will not return there were many previous customers there it seemed quite satisfied. We did find this resort had a lot
of very fun guests and we made new friends so that was the highlight of our stay.

I tried to keep this review as honest as I could and touch on the things that were most important to us.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank familytravelersMn
Hello familytravelersMn,

I sincerely appreciate your honest feedback, even though I wish your experience had been a better one.
I would like to apologize on behalf of Golden Crown Paradise that our services and attention did not fully meet your expectations during your stay with us.
We’re sorry to hear that you did not find some of our staff friendly or helpful as we pride ourselves on having the team who give their all to ensure each and every guest has an amazing time. I am disappointed that your overall impression was less in this respect than we strive for, and please rest assured that we will continue to work on this.

Although we are not a newly built resort, we have very competitive prices among other hotels in the area. Being located very close to Marina, on a beautiful stretch of beach, as an adults-only hotel we strive to provide our guests with the most relaxing and intimate atmosphere, but also as an added value give them the opportunity to enjoy all the facilities and services at our family friendly resort next door.

Again I apologize that we did not meet your expectations as we would have loved for you to have experienced the vacation we are known in providing and the reason so many people return again and again.