“Fantastic stay in Puerto Vallarta!”
Review of Casa de los Arcos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Casa de los Arcos
New York City, New York
“Fantastic stay in Puerto Vallarta!”
Reviewed 14 October 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Casa de los Arcos for four nights in early October. It was our first time to Puerto Vallarta, and we cannot say enough great things about our stay. We stayed in the Casa Palapa, which had an amazing outdoor living space with a spectacular view (I saw one other casa while also there, and that one was equally amazing). We watched the sunset every night and enjoyed long breakfasts while gazing out at the ocean. The views were well worth the walk up the hill from town, and the solitude of not being directly within the city made it so much more peaceful and relaxing.

Susan and David were warm, welcoming hosts. They invited us for margaritas and appetizers the evening we arrived and brought us out on their boat to go snorkeling and tour some of the surrounding coastline. Susan organized for a cook to prepare dinner in our casa and for private massages. She also brought us to the grocery store upon arrival so that we could stock up on any items we wanted for our kitchen. We greatly enjoyed our stay and would recommend a visit to anyone! We don't tend to repeat visit places very often, but we had such a great, relaxing time on this stay that we've already mentioned we'd love to go back again.

The dogs, also, were pretty awesome and made for great boating companions!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Grab a cup of your favorite beverage and get comfy; this review is going to be a long one!

I wanted to stay in town this trip (9/14-9/19) at a nice place, but didn't want to stay at an all-inclusive as I wanted to go out in town each night. I started my search on-line didn't find anything that caught my eye, so of course, came to Trip Advisor. After reading about Casa de los Arcos and perusing their pictures, I emailed them and wrote back and forth with Susan to book my stay, select the perfect room, etc. Susan was very responsive and easy to work with.

Upon arrival, Carlos greeted us very warmly and carried my luggage up to our casa which was definitely appreciated. As I walked through the gate and up the stairs, I could not believe how beautiful everything was! Pictures really do not do this place justice. Our casa literally took my breath away (we stayed in the Casa Palapa). I was extremely pleased with my choice and couldn't wait to get settled in and relax. Of course Susan greeted us and we were all chatting it up after being shown up to our room. Susan and David are so kind, warm, helpful and knowledgeable...I've never stayed at a place where you get such personal, attentive, yet unobtrusive service. Kudos to you Susan and David, many others could learn a thing or two from you! The pool area is quaint, very pretty with the flowers and plants and uber relaxing. I enjoyed many hours lounging in the pool with a drink in hand of course ;) The pool temperature was perfect, not too hot or too cold. Very lovely.

Our first evening we had booked Rocci, the cook, to come up and fix our first meal. I knew I would be exhausted from having to wake up at 2:30 am to get to O'Hare for my super early flight and there is nothing more convenient than someone coming to where you are staying, cooking dinner for you and then cleaning up afterwards. I worked with Susan to select the perfect meal and Rocci absolutely performed! Just thinking about that meal is making my stomach growl. Definitely arrange for an evening to have Rocci cook your meal for you and you will thank me later :) Muy delicioso!

I don't know how Felipe does it, but whenever we weren't in the Casa Palapa, we would come back "home" to find it spotlessly clean! And I mean spotlessly clean....I'm a stickler when it comes to the cleanliness of the places I stay and this far surpassed my expectations. It's extremely impressive to me how clean everything is kept considering the outdoor living space.

You will see Susan, David, Felipe and Carlos around the grounds, but they are very respectful of your privacy and will interact with you as much or as little as you like. We were the only guests there during our stay and never once did I feel uncomfortable. I’ve stayed at boutique hotels, B&Bs, etc. before and have been the only guest (with a friend of course) and felt very ill at ease/ watched by the staff. You will not feel that way here for one second, from the get go I was comfortable, felt safe and content. I was able to look at the other rooms / casas while I was there as I was so ecstatically pleased with everything (everything about Casa de los Arcos is literally perfect) I want to put together an extended family visit and have us rent the entire place.

The location is very close to town. Everything seemed to be just a couple of minutes away, yet it was so tranquil and quiet. When I say quiet, I mean quiet! I am a very light sleeper and had the best night’s sleep here. The mattresses are very comfortable, bedding has a high thread count, air conditioner kept the room at the perfect temperature and never once was I awoken by traffic (seriously you hear none which baffled me since you are so close to everything). As I know that September is the rainy season and gets unbearably hot and humid, I was nervous that the room wouldn’t be cool enough and I wouldn’t be able to enjoy the outside living areas because I would be dripping with sweat. This was not the case at all! The ceiling fans they have throughout the casa kept the air moving and very pleasant! The shade the palapas provided was perfect! The A/C, as I said, kept the bedroom nice and cold.

The view from the Casa Palapa was nothing short of magnificent! We loved relaxing with a glass of wine or margarita in the evenings to watch the sunset or when we came back late at night to look at all of the twinkling lights of the town, while having the fountain on and listening to the soothing sound of it. I couldn't and still can't get over the gorgeous views of the water, mountains, town that we had.

Our second evening Susan invited my boyfriend and I to come up to have margaritas with her and David. When she extends this offer to you, take it! The view from their casa is UNBELIEVABLE and she makes one of the meanest (i.e. best) margaritas I've ever had. We had a lovely time visiting with them and then they even invited us to go out on their boat with them to see the coast during one of the days of our stay. We all went out on the boat, including their two dogs (Piggy and TT) and had the most perfect day cruising around and soaking up all the beauty around us! We even stopped at Los Arcos to do some snorkeling and saw hundreds upon hundreds of fish. They are the kindest people and I enjoyed spending time with them very much. I also loved hanging with their two dogs as mine was back home. Now don't tell my dog I cheated on him when I was on vacation! LOL! Their dogs are very, very friendly and even my boyfriend who is not the biggest fan of dogs/ can be scared of them was completely at ease around them.

American ended up cancelling my return flight and I had no problem extending my stay with Susan. I just walked on up to her office and in 10 seconds it was all done! Talk about fast and painless! She offered to let me use her long distance phone so I could call American and she even took me to the airport so that I wouldn't have to take a taxi (my boyfriend is a local/National and couldn't get the extra day off). Their service goes well above and beyond what one could ever expect.

If you ever have the opportunity to stay here, I highly suggest you do! On their welcome note that gives you some details, it says “Welcome to Paradise”. They are spot on with that, it is paradise! I cannot wait until I get to return to Casa de los Arcos and am so glad I finally stayed in town. As I'm sitting here in Chicago, I wish I was back there right now. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Also, if you want to see more pics, pm me.

Room Tip: I would be happy staying in any of the rooms there, however Casa Palapa is probably my favorite (cou...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank AimeeMichele
Denver
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We spent the first several days of our trip at an all inclusive resort, and we thought we were having a great time. We were wrong. In retrospect, our trip actually started once we got to Casa de los Arcos. I just can't explain the feeling of looking out over the whole city and coastline from our giant suite and enjoying complete peace, quiet and awe. Also, as all the other reviewers noted, David and Susan themselves are terrific people. They made us feel completely welcome and treated us as if we were their first guests. They chatted with us, fed us margaritas, and gave us information about Puerto Vallarta and Mexico that we could never have received staying in a fancy hotel. If we ever go back to the area we will definitely stay at Casa de los Arcos again, and I promise that if you stay there you will say the same thing. We've truly never experienced anything like it!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good rooms. We stayed in the Casa Palapa and it was amazing! It has a 180 degree v...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Heatherina
Duncannon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I had never spent any time in Mexico before staying at Casa de los Arcos in Puerto Vallarta. The town itself is charming and interesting and safe. That being said, my visit there was greatly enhanced by being at the Casa. I was one of a large party that rented all the apartments. The way the apartments are situated allows for more or less interaction as desired. Each of the apartments has its own decor and can be open air all the time if so inclined. Casa de los Arcos is built up the side of a cliff in a residential area. Because of its geographic nature, the Casa is built on levels which adds to its attractiveness. There is a lovely small pool in a beautiful setting. In fact, all the settings at Casa de los Arcos are stunning! There are tropical plantings everywhere. Of all the delights offered at the Casa, the view of Banderas Bay and the Sierra Mountains is the ultimate; and the view is every where one looks.

In addition, the amenities are very fine too. One night, we hired the Casa's chef for a scrumptious meal; one of our party had a massage on the premises. The kitchen facilities allow for as little or as much cooking as wanted. The premises are scrupulously cleaned every day.

The most important part of my heavenly experience at Casa de los Arcos was meeting Susan Wiseman and David Lord, the owners. They are outstanding in their care of their guests, in sharing their interests with their guests, and going out of their way to make all things possible. (Susan is an accomplished and

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Deborah Miller Filipi
Landenberg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 August 2012

When I read the reviews I knew Casa de los Arcos was great but when I got there I found out I was wrong. Susan, David, Carlos and Felipa and the entire experience at Casa de los Arcos was better than great. It was exceptional!!! The casa allowed our group of ten to enjoy privacy, togetherness and great views on the Banderas Bay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Riverside, California
Reviewed 5 August 2012

As a first-time adventurer in Mexico, I can only imagine what a muddle this trip would have been without the gracious help of David and Susan. From driving us to the grocery store and airport to taking us on a boat tour of the coast (yes, including snorkeling at the Los Arcos islands!) to sharing their wealth of historical knowledge and life experiences at any time of day (and sometimes night), David and Susan couldn't have been more attentive and thoughtful hosts. In a matter of days, they became fascinating housemates and warm friends.

As for the house itself, we stayed in the Casita and loved the open-air kitchen and living room, as well as the cozy balcony space. As the highest room for let (perched just below Susan and David's living room), it boasts a lovely view and is located on a beautiful hill that is modestly peopled but still fabulously green! A short dirt trail to the top of the hill for some quick immersion into the jungle is just a 10-minute jog from the Casa and the beach is about a 20-minute walk away, though taxis are in abundant supply.

So, I can't imagine anywhere else I'd like to stay when I return to Puerto Vallarta. A beautiful location coupled with generous personalities made for an amazing experience and lifelong friends. Thank you again, Susan and David, for your hospitality and friendship! I can't wait to receive my first newsletter from you two. ;-)

Room Tip: Casita rests above other rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Some people claim to have left their hearts in San Francisco, I think I left mine at Casa de los Arcos! Susan and David are, as one reviewer previously put it, the BEST hosts on the planet and I'd go a step further and say the known universe. The Casa is amazing as well - open-air, spacious rooms with plenty of breathtaking views, as well as privacy. You are just a short walk into a fantastic part of PV - great restaurants, galleries and of course the beach. Susan and David gave us great recommendations on must-see places in and around PV. Their hospitality is truly unparalleled - Susan arranged a dinner for us on our arrival that was out-of-this world delicious! We loved the sunset margaritas and great company and conversation. Our only regret is that we did not stay longer! We will be back as we feel like we made some great friends in PV - Muchos Gracias Susan, David, Miss TT, Midge, Snake and the other gatos whose names are escaping me at the moment.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are wonderful - but we stayed in the Palapa and it was outstanding!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple