“BETTER THAN HOME; A MAGICAL DESTINY”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa de los Arcos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Casa de los Arcos
Frederick, Maryland
“BETTER THAN HOME; A MAGICAL DESTINY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Just finished an amazing visit with David and Susan for about 12 days!!!!!!!!!
I feel like I have A HOME AWAY FROM HOME now for the rest of my life. Not only
are the views spectacular, but the hospitality is everything you could ever wish for
and hope for when you travel. Susan has given 120% to make the stay: relaxing,
special, dreamy and a great mind-n-body experience.
The Palapa is stunning with its panoramic view of the bay, the furnshings are warm,
the art is so unique n so well done, you feel like you are in a first class resort without
the stuffiness or sterility.
Everyone goes out of their way to make your stay fantastic, and peaceful.
I would recommend a stay there to anybody who enjoys the best life has to offer- you will not be disappointed.
I only wsh I could give more stars to this review. It is heavenly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The Palapa will take your breath away- even if you are a seasoned traveler. It is unbelievably invi...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I share the same sentiment as someone else that commented on this hotel. I hesitate in giving it such a good comment because then it will always be booked--and lower my chances of staying there again! Haha. This hotel MADE our trip to Puerto Vallarta. There is so much to do around the city and the area, but we kept finding ourselves back in the hotel room, enjoying the view, cooking dinner etc. I had a hard time justifying LEAVING the hotel to go to go and do anything because the hotel was so wonderful.

We have stayed all over the world and the view from our room was the best view we have ever had at any resort. We are particular about what we eat, and the market down the street had the freshest, most delicious fruits and vegetables. We almost never ate out because of this, and I LOVED cooking in the kitchen. It was fully stocked with all the equipment you could need, and the stove was gas--soooo much better to cook with. Quite sad to come home to my electric stove. :(

As for Susan and David, they are wonderful, interesting, people. They made it such a pleasure to stay at their hotel. Our flight was a few hours late so Susan insisted on going to to market for me so that I would have some food when we arrived. David has a fantastic hobby which takes them all over Central and South America, make sure to speak with him about this.

The beach is just a short walk down the hill. You can hang out on the lounges that a restaurant provides and just buy some soda or something. They even have "No, Gracias" signs in case you don't want to be approached by jewelry vendors etc. If you don't like walking up hill, you can easily catch a taxi and it will drive you to the top for just a few dollars.

We hiked to Los Animas, hands down the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. The water was clear and warm, it was deserted and the sand was tiny little pebbles. Absolutely amazing.

This won't apply to most readers, but I will let you know just because if one of you benefits it will be worth it. Buy the generic Retin-A. I bought tubes of Retin-A (I use it for wrinkle prevention) and what I pay $200 for in the US I paid about $7 for (buy the generic, I have tried it for the last week and it is as good as the real thing).

We cannot wait to get back to Puerto Vallarta. Beautiful city and beach when we can pull ourselves away from the beautiful, romantic, Casa de los Arcos!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Castle Rock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed here July 20-27th-Susan and David were so sweet and nice-very helpful staff as well-I got upgraded to what I called the Presidential Suite! It was over the top and more than I need for my stay-formal dining room and living room, 3 additional seating areas and a fountain! The A/c in the bedroom was needed because it was hot for a Colorado boy!
Room was very clean and VIEWS VIEWS VIEWS for days! Cab fare is less than $5 to get anywhere and the owners animals being around made it feel like home!
Pool was heaven on hot days! I Would highly recommend-

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Timothy L
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I just spent a few perfect days at Casa de los Arcos and am already trying to figure out when I can go back. My stay was so relaxing and magical. Susan and David are the most wonderful hosts. Before I arrived Susan coordinated a taxi from the airport for me, an in-house massage and a fridge stocked with cerveza. It was so nice to arrive without any stress and be taken care of. They even welcomed me with a margarita and some killer guacamole. The views from my terrace were breathtaking and it was a 10 minute walk to Old Town or 15 minute walk to Zona Romantica and the beach. This is a very special place. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank greenhootenanny
Litchfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

My late spouse and I visited Casa de los Arcos for a week in Feb. 2007, and based on what was the best vacation we had in our 22 years together, we were planning to return there every February. Indeed, we booked a week in Feb. 2008 as soon as we returned home to CT. Susan and David, the owners, were simply incredible hosts. From arranging a taxi to pick us up at the airport to Susan driving us back to the airport when we departed, the entire week was like visiting with old and dear friends. My spouse (partner at the time and later spouse in CT) was very ill at the time. Susan did everything possible to make our stay as my late spouse said, "The best vacation we ever had." She even arranged for a car and driver to take us down the coast to sightsee at a very reasonable cost, stopping at a Tequila factory and having lunch at one of the most romantic and best restaurants I've ever experienced. We stayed in the beautiful la Casita apartment, which is located at the very top of this delightful off-the-beaten track location. The views of Banderas Bay and the town of Puerto Vallarta are simply breath taking. You cannot do better than stay at this incredible lodging. Truly, you'll come away wanting to return again and again, which is what I hope to do soon, but unfortunately this time alone.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EJMCT
Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

In March, I was pleased to be part of a group from our company who went to Puerto Vallarta, to write a book. And the pleasure was even greater when we arrived at Casa de los Arcos, and Susan gave us a tour of this beautiful villa. There are four lovely, self-contained casas and we occupied three of them. We used one as our meeting place during the mornings, as we worked on the book. We took breaks on the patios overlooking the ocean and old town Puerto Vallarta, or dangling our feet in the lovely little pool. We walked down to the Malecon to shop and gawk. We took a taxi back (50 pesos - less than $5). We dined in - with Rosie serving authentic Mexican meals that were so tasty, so fresh, so enjoyable. And her guacamole has no equal. Not to mention the flan. Truly delicious. And, we dined out a few nights - guided by Susan's vast knowledge of the best restaurants in the area (based on her own experience, as well as feedback she receives from her guests). We spent one lovely evening in the casa of our gracious hosts -Susan and David - and watched a spectacular sunset. Staff - Carlos and Felipa were so polite, friendly and efficient. Everything was very clean and well-maintained. It was just a superb experience all-round. Would love to come back with my husband in the future, as Casa de los Arcos is well placed as a home base, to explore the city and the region.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

My wife and I visited Casa de los Arcos several years ago and enjoyed it so much that we decided to return. Everything that we loved about our last visit remains and with many improvements. If you read a few reviews here you will notice a pattern of very positive experiences shared, I whole heartedly concur with this sentiment. Here are some things that stand out in my mind about our experience this time:

*This will never happen at a normal hotel: our arrival flight was delayed so I emailed Susan an FYI that we would be in late. She just happened to be headed to the store so she offered to do our grocery shopping for us! I sent her my lengthy list and she managed to find everything on it. It was such a relief arriving late after our flight to have this done for us! She even brought us tasty homemade margaritas to enjoy while we got settled in. Also, on our way home she went out of her way to drive us to the airport!

*The other guests were really nice and friendly. We had great conversation watching the sun set together when the owners invited us all up for drinks/snacks one night and then at the pool throughout our stay. This was the case both times we visited and I think this is a testament to the way the place is run and the sort of people that would choose to stay there.

*This time our visit happened to be during the exceptionally busy “Semana Santa”. This is the week before Easter when thousands of visitors from all over Mexico have time off and visit the beach at the same time. The location of Casa de los Arcos was especially nice since it’s removed from the chaos of the resorts, but still close enough to be able to enjoy all the interesting culture that comes with this celebration. When we were tired of the busyness we would escape up the hill to our quiet villa for a siesta.

*David and Susan’s hard work on the new garden is certainly paying off. There is a really nice new common sitting area with a fantastic view. I’ll look forward to spending more time in this area next trip, especially for drinks at sunset.

*We got a lot of really good advice and assistance from Susan for planning our activities throughout our stay. She arranged for a massage in our unit, which was fantastic and reasonably priced. We got excellent restaurant advice (for where to go AND what to get there), and helpful tips for how to get around town. As a traveler I’m sometimes suspicious of advice in tourist towns but I can safely say that her recommendations are based on feedback from her guests and real experiences, not just “kickbacks”.

I write this review so that other people can hopefully have the same great experiences that we did. Selfishly, I don’t want to share it but that would be a disservice to other travelers and the owners who work so hard to make it great. :-)

Feel free to message me with any questions!

Room Tip: The Casita has the best view. The Palapa has the second best view but more space. Casa Grande has...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple