“Good pepito, but won't be going back”
Review of Rincon de Quilmes

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Rincon de Quilmes
Ranked #706 of 1,072 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Cuisines: International
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Dined at this restaurant a half-dozen times since July, 2010 when I discovered it. It was new then and down Calle Viena from my school, on my walking path. Opened at 1pm so a convenient place for lunch when school was out.

The length of Calle Viena (from Plaza Caracol to Francisco Villa) is an enjoyable stroll for authentic taco stands and some good restaurants, tiendas, etc. There were a number of other restaurants near Rincon de Quilmes last year (near Pemex) but they have either moved downtown or have gone out of business so that might be affecting this restaurant, with what I observed recently.

This is (or was) a good place for people to dine if they enjoy various cuts of meat/beef, on a Pepito, which is a sandwich. It advertises itself as an Argentinian restaurant. I'd only gone for lunch until a couple of weeks ago.

Went at dinner time (8pm) recently. The restaurant was pitch dark. Thought it was closed but it had the Abierto sign out.

Had I not been there several times, I wouldn't have entered. Not fun to enter a restaurant with no lights, in the dark (around Halloween week-end, no less).

I could not see the menu on the black chalk board (they do not have a paper menu) and the prices have gone up since I was there for lunch in May. There was a table of women on the right but the only light was the flat screen TV's and it was like being in a cave. It's kind of creepy to go into a restaurant (with no lights, except the TV) where you are used to going there for lunch, and you can't read the menu and you know there are other people in the corner but you can't see them. So, I ordered something I'd had before and watched the World Series (the only source of light).

Ordered Arrachera Pepito. The meat was tender/tasty as always but the price had gone up since May and the house wine had gone up 10 pesos and they used to serve a small salad on the side of the sandwich as well as offering an attractive presentation. Not this time. Since it was so dark in there, I suppose there is no need to make it look good.

Having been there so many times for lunch and having a waiter named Jose wait on me (who was from my local area and helped me order in Spanish) and having the food served attractively in the past --- to sit there at 8pm on a Friday (in the dark, with almost nobody there) and have the same dish I've had before -- but it wasn't near as good and didn't have the presentation or salad as in the past and had gone up in price -- was a disappointment.

I hope Rincon de Quilmes can recover. It appeared on October 28 that it might be going out of business, especially if they can't afford to turn the lights up so you can see the menu on the blackboard or what you are eating. If I hadn't been there before, I would have left. Probably won't return. It used to be good. Hope that was an isolated night but the waiter didn't look like he cared either. Sad.

1  Thank MarlySF
Reviewed 17 May 2011

This out of the way place is one those wonderful little spots where everything is marvelously good and surprising inexpensive. The location isn’t that romantic, but the cuisine is excellent and the wine selection is in keeping with much more sophisticated haunts.
Can’t say enough good things about Quilmes when one considers the value. We choose it quite often, and there are a lot of great choices in PV, so that says a lot.

1  Thank HungryTraveler101
Reviewed 13 April 2010

I found this restaurant during my most recent vist to Puerto Vallarta Mexico. I ate there my last 3 days. The food is outstanding, the service and attention are excellent, The restaurant itself has a great atmosphere.
I definitely recommend this restaurant if you want to eat something delicious with no concerns of the food as well the service. I found out at my last visit that this family owned restaurant and this is a good point for any bussiness.

1  Thank JGO-ITO