“Our 50th wedding anniversary celebration”

Buganvilias Vacation Club
Ranked #51 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
San Diego, California
“Our 50th wedding anniversary celebration”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We were visiting Puerto Vallarta over our 50th wedding anniversary, and were extremely impressed with the Sheraton Buganvilas Club. It is in a spectacular setting, everything is first class, and the accommodations are top-of-the-line. The grounds are lush and manicured to perfection, and we found the pool areas very enjoyable. The staff members are very helpful, and all our needs were addressed right away. In particular, the maid service was impeccable, and our maid showed excellent attention to detail, and provided some nice personal touches.

We had made a special request to Guillermo (the Member Services Manager) for a nice quiet room for our anniversary. He assigned us a superb 2BR 2BA unit, which exceeded our expectations. Also, I requested help in obtaining a special arrangement of tropical flowers for my wife in our room upon our arrival. Guillermo personally coordinated acquisition and delivery of a superb flower arrangement (at a very reasonable cost), certainly going well beyond his regular responsibilities.

Internet access seemed difficult to set up (invalid access code, all instructions in Spanish,etc) , and the WiFi reception was sporadic, except at the computer centers. Food, in general, was very good, although a bit pricey, but the new, upscale restaurant which we attended on our final night, was noisy indoors, the food unimpressive, and, basically the restaurant seemed overrated.

Overall, however, our stay at the Buganvilias Club was excellent and very memorable for our 50th anniversary. The quality of operations here certainly reflects the helpfulness and friendship of the management, and we encourage other travelers to check out this great vacation property.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank keith s
buganviliasrp, Public Relations Manager at Buganvilias Vacation Club, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Keith:

With enthusiasm we have read about your gratifying experience in our resort and the personal service provided by our Member Services Manager, and for sharing your your 50th. wedding anniversary,

It is our ambition to be the best hotel resort in town and fully comply with our members. expectations. We will print out your comments and share them with our staff, they will be thrilled to know your kindhearted consideration for the excellent service rendered to you and your wife.

Please receive our appreciation for sharing your feelings with us, and look forward to your next visit to the Buganvilias Vacation Club.

Sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Hollis, New Hampshire
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We just got back from vacationing in Puerto Vallarta, where we stayed at Sheraton’s Buganvilias Vacation Club. We reserved this resort through an exchange with SFX. My husband and I had a very large two-bedroom, two-bath, villa overlooking the pool with a partial view of the ocean. We traveled with two friends, and they stayed in a similar villa. Overall, we were very happy with our stay. The highlights of this resort are its service, cleanliness, and its proximity to downtown PV. The two major negatives were that (1) the beach was rocky and (2) the food and drinks were not exceptional. If you have simple tastes, maybe you’ll be fine with the fare, but if you’re a foodie like me, this is not the place for you. We overcame this negative by walking to many of the great restaurants nearby. I hope you find this review informative!

About a week before we traveled, we contacted the concierge and inquired about travel from the airport to the resort. I was told that there was no complimentary transportation, but they would help me secure a van for the four of us. We paid for the van with a credit card. When our flight time changed to be four hours ahead of schedule, we emailed the concierge and they took care of rescheduling the van for us. It was a nice touch. While it would have been half the cost if we had taken two taxis instead (there was no way four people and luggage was going to fit into one), the van was clean and air conditioned – we certainly traveled in comfort. Thank you, Fabiola Reyes, for being so helpful and pleasant with coordinating the van!

When we arrived to the resort, our rooms were not ready (but they were ready at the published check-in time of 4:00). We were met by the typical timeshare rat who told us, “I’m not here to sell you anything – I am just here to tell you about the resort.” They’re lying. My advice is to get a map of the resort from her, ask for pamphlets describing the local excursions, enjoy the complimentary drink she’ll provide, and SAY “NO” TO THE “FREE” BREAKFAST.

When we got to our room, it was only a one-bedroom. We immediately called down to the front desk and told them that there was a mistake; we had reserved a two-bedroom. They quickly sent up a bellboy who escorted us to our final room. If the resort was full, I am not sure they would have been able to make the change, though.

Our two-bedroom villa was BEAUTIFUL! The veranda wrapped around the entire length of the villa, from the living room to the master bedroom. The kitchen had a full-sized refrigerator, microwave, two burners (no oven), dishwasher, and all the plates, cookware, and utensils we’d need for the week. My husband and I found the beds to be extremely comfortable. The villa had two quirks you should know about: (1) all the doors and windows need to be closed and locked in order for the air conditioner to turn on, and (2) the water pressure in the shower was AMAZING – but be prepared to have your bathroom flood if you don’t angle the shower head towards the wall. There’s a drain just outside the bathtub for a reason! Housekeeping came every day. They changed our towels, made the bed, took out the trash, cleaned the bathrooms, and swept the floor. They were EXCEPTIONAL. It is exactly the type of service I would expect being a timeshare owner. The two housekeepers we ran into were so polite and courteous – we were always greeted with a smile. I really wish I got their names, but we were in room 1286, if that helps any managers reading this review.

The resort property in general was very well maintained and beautiful. It’s an older resort, but they've renovated it very nicely. As I said before the beach is very rocky. It was a great beach for finding sea glass, or sit next to, but bring water shoes. The rocks really hurt my feet. You can walk down a ways to the next resort for a sandier beach, though. There are two pools – one for the timeshare side, and one for the hotel. We didn't venture over to the hotel side much. We used the laundry facilities with no problems. One minor negative... My husband and I were able to locate three ice machines – at any given time, two out of the three were either broken or out of ice. My husband and I actually made a game out of it – we’d take bets on which one was going to work every time we needed some. We ended up just going to the poolside bar for ice every time. Silly.

The location was GREAT!!! Three blocks south of the resort was the start of downtown, and three blocks north was the Mega (Mexican Walmart, they call it). There is a very highly-rated restaurant three blocks south called El Andariego. Check out the reviews on Tripadvisor – and order the bananas foster and guacamole! Both dishes are prepared in front of you. Quite the show and CHEAP!

My husband I got a massage ON THE BEACH. How cool is that? Just be aware that there is nowhere to undress, so if you get a massage on the beach, dress accordingly. I think the beach vendors may have gotten a brief show. :-P

You don’t need a car unless you really want to drive into the countryside. EVERYTHING is within walking distance if you are a relatively healthy adult. We walked all the way from the resort to the far end of the romantic zone, and then took a taxi back to the resort for five bucks (50 pesos + tip). If you want to buy excursions, my advice is to walk two blocks south, where there is a small excursions counter just before Senor Frogs. Buy your excursions there – they were cheaper than in the hotel. The small catch is that you will need to pay their commission with cash and no receipt, but we saved about $50 for the 6 tickets we purchased and we were able to enjoy the excursions with no problems.

I am a foodie. I am always watching the cooking shows on TV and trying out new recipes. I was once a catering director at a large, well-known hotel. My family and friends think I should open a restaurant. I just wanted to tell you all of that so you can take the following comment how you wish: the food and drinks consistently sucked. And, boy, did I give them a lot of chances. The fish tacos tasted like they were frozen. The fries were overcooked and were stone cold when they arrived (but, admittedly, seasoned well). The “tuna panzanella” turned out to be wet tuna salad wedged between day-old pita bread. (Seriously? They need to look up the term “panzanella”. If you’re a foodie like me, you’ll understand why the name of this dish was such a crime). The buffet…. Sigh. There was a sign for crepes. But no crepes were to be found. Flies swarmed (and I do mean swarmed) the salad bar and ceviche bar. The tortilla chips were STALE. If you want Mexican food, go hit the taco trucks in Viejo Vallarta. I’ll begrudgingly admit that the pumpkin bisque was quite good, as was the roasted chicken. The drinks in the buffet and poolside were very weak. By the time Thursday came, we were not interested in the big Mexican buffet/party.

Even though it might not sound like it, we really enjoyed our trip. The positives VERY much outweighed the negatives. Everyone was very friendly and I can’t tell you how much I appreciated how clean everything was. Below are a few last thoughts to help you get the most out of your trip:
1. To make the villa’s kitchen more user-friendly, you should plan to bring the following items with you (or buy them at Mega): plastic wrap or Ziploc bags for any food or leftovers you want to store in the fridge, dish soap, dish sponge, paper towels, salt and pepper, large plastic cups (to bring drinks poolside).
2. Try to find a currency exchange counter or bank early in your trip. Puerto Vallarta will take your US dollars with no problem, but you will get a better price if you pay in pesos. Regardless, bring about 50 one-dollar bills for tipping and making change.
3. Don’t forget the water shoes. The beach is rocky.
4. Bring high-quality BUG SPRAY!!! We had only a few problems with no-see-ums at the resort, but if you will be taking an excursion outside of town, you will get eaten alive. We took a trip into Sierre Madre, and our travelling companions looked like they had small pox at the end of the day. My husband and I didn't leave completely unscathed either.
5. It’s not well-marked, but there is a warm water pool/spa above the swimming pool. It’s quite romantic late at night. Just watch out for the iguanas.

If you haven't booked your trip yet, I highly recommend this resort. And if you have, you'll have a great time! Just remember that this is Mexico... don't take things too seriously!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
9 Thank thewolffs
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We have been coming to our timeshare for 10 years now and just about every experience has been positive, The Staff is Friendly and accommodating. The area is beautiful and well kept. The food is also very good and reasonably priced. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: The higher in the tower you are the better the view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Houston
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I, along with our best friends, bought a timeshare at the Buganvillas this year. So, in October we made the first trip to our new yearly spot. There are several thoughts I have on this property, both good and bad. First, I do not regret buying the timeshare. The service I received while there makes it well worth the price. Now, with that said, here's the pluses to the property...

1 - The service at the bellhop and concierge is great! They are extremely nice and helpful in every way. We had never been to the property before so we had several questions that were answered by Fabiola in Customer Service. She was very prompt in answering our emails.

2 - Buganvillas has a shuttle from the airport to the resort that made transportation pain less. Luckily, Fabiola was understanding and gave us an exception to the requirement of a credit card for this service ($15 for 1 - 3 people), allowing us to pay cash upon arrival.

3 - The check-in process was virtually painless. We arrived early so our room was not quite ready but that was no big deal. We were given drink tickets for the lobby bar where we sat and drank some great drinks while waiting. (by the way the lobby bar is only open on Saturdays for check-ins.)

4 - The property is very well maintained. The grounds are gorgeous pure and simple. Our room was 100 feet from the ocean on the second floor and needless to say, it was amazing! We were, thankfully, in one of the renovated rooms so the room was up to date like you would hope of a resort.

5 - I don't know about you, but I love a great shower. Especially after being on the beach and in salt water all day. The shower water pressure was amazing in both bathrooms!

6 - The location of the resort is perfect if you like being in town and within walking distance of the Malecon, the Mega grocery store, and many restaurants. We walked to the grocery store and restaurants numerous times during the week while there. This was great because the taxis are very small and are extremely uncomfortable for 4 adults, especially in the HOT and HUMID October weather.

Now with that said, there are several downsides to this resort, as well. These are all my personal preferences, of course, so take them as you will.

1 - We were all VERY disappointed with the food/restaurant choices of this resort. The lack of choice forced us to either cook in our room, go out in town, or order pizza for delivery when it was pooring rain (which you have to walk out to the security booth in front of the hotel to pick-up). We are big time foodies so this situation is a huge downside for us. Some people would probably not be bothered but I want room service, several options for all three meals, and somewhere to go for late night drinks and snacks if I am at a resort in Mexico. (yes, I'm spoiled I guess (-;)

The daily buffet, La Villita, they have for all three meals is very expensive and while the food is good, it's definitely not worth the money you pay. We dined there twice during the week, once for the Sunday Champagne Brunch which was $135 for 4 of us and again on the day we departed for burgers which was $75 for 4 of us. We ate burgers at 10am because our only dining option was the buffet or a small menu that did not sound very appetizing. Basically, the resort has 2 dining options. One that closes at 5pm and the other is apparently closed because hotel staff told us our only option was to eat at the buffet.

The concierge at the timeshare desk told us about some mysterious restaurant, Gaviotas, that no other employees on the hotel side know about. We later found out after searching for a place to eat breakfast other than the buffet there's a restaurant opening soon and was told to go to the buffet.

Also, apparently the resort offers room service. However, the menu is limited to basically bar food and there are no menus in the rooms so you have to call the room service number and ask them what they have to eat.

This lack of choice just seems ridiculous for a resort of this size.

2 - Next, there was a sewer smell in both bathrooms after about day 5. The master bath was particularly bad. Not quite sure what caused this but it was a definitely a downside to the room. Also, keeping in mind this is Mexico, both toilets kept clogging so we had to call maintenance several times to unclog them. With that said, the maintenance guy was very nice and responded pretty quickly after our calls.

3 - Like I mentioned before, we bought a timeshare here at Buganvillas. When we did this, I don't think any of us realized we would be badgered to attend a 1 1/2 hour presentation for timeshare owners where they try to sell you more timeshares, upgrades, and so on. Not knowing exactly what this was, we signed up for the presentation the night before and left a $20 deposit to save our seat (actually it's to make sure you show up). So, when we showed up the next morning and was told it was going to take an 1 1/2 hour for this presentation, then handed a form where they wanted everyone in our group to list very personal information like income, address, etc, and then waited for over 40 minutes and still nothing had started, we asked for our $20 back so we could leave. The gentleman we asked to refund us never returned with our deposit and after sitting there for another 20 minutes we left, without our $20 "deposit". Then, as we were going and coming over the next week, we were basically badgered to attend this presentation. My husband and friend explained to the timeshare concierge what had transpired and were told our experience was because we didn't stay long enough, I'm sorry but waiting an hour and nothing had started was more than enough for me!

4 - The next downside is the pool and beach situation at the resort. First, we travel there as 2 adult couples escaping from our children for some adult time. So, I think it would be a great idea to have an adult pool at the resort. Of course, it would be a great idea to not allow children to sit at the swim up bar, also, but that is allowed here (I can't say anything bad about Buganvillas specifically where this is concerned as most hotels I've been to in Mexico allow this).

The pool hours are also incredibly short. In order to avoid being in a pool full of kids, we would go down later in the night. However, they close the pool at 9pm. This is ridiculous for a resort to do! I understand the concern of noise for their guests. However, there are things that can be done if guests are creating too much noise while in the pool at night. So, needless to say, we spent very little time in the pool which is unfortunate.

The service pool side the one day went down during the day was nonexistent. We were there for 45 minutes and never saw a waiter. Eventually we went to the swim up bar to order drinks but it was 5:30pm and they closed at 5pm. So, back to the room we went. Overall, we were all disappointed with the amenities the Buganvillas offers its owners and guests.

When in PV earlier this year, we stayed at a resort with these great cabanas right on the beach where we stayed all day long and enjoyed amazing bar and food service. Unfortunately this was not at Buganvillas. They do not have beach cabanas (what they call cabanas are chairs with umbrellas). The beach is very rocky which makes walking out into the water dicey. And, as I mentioned, the pool side service and food options are horrible. Hopefully they will make changes soon to enhance the resort amenities. They can only improve at this point, in my opinion.

5 - Do not expect to get a good night's sleep in the beds. First, we upgraded from a presidential suite to a 2 bedroom master suite (bad idea! It cost way more than it was worth) expecting the accommodations would be better. Stupidly, my husband and I did not look closely at the twin beds in the second bedroom. We both thought they could be put together to make one bed. However, the beds are on concrete platforms so my husband and I spent a week sleeping in separate beds. Apparently, if you want to get 2 king beds, you have to upgrade again to a penthouse suite. With that said, the mattresses were absolutely horrible! All four of us took sleeping pills after day 4 so that we could sleep. That's how bad they are! Extremely hard and uncomfortable for even my husband who can sleep on the floor with no complaints.

6 - You are limited to 2 people on the room's wifi at a time. This is very limiting when you have 4 adults all with iPads and iPhones. Not quite sure of the reasoning for the limitation but it was definitely a point of frustration for my group.

7 - Piece of advice, do not come to the Buganvillas timeshare expecting to be able to cook a meal in the kitchen. It is not stocked with adequate utensils, pots, pans, or cleaning supplies. There is also nothing to store left over or open food in like ziploc bags or storage containers. If you want any of those items, you have to buy them yourself. Then leave everything there when it's time to go home.

8 - Last piece of advice, try not to do laundry when you're there unless you are not on a budget. They charge an arm and a leg for washer/dryer tokens. I bought 3 of each token to wash clothes about half way through the trip. After buying laundry detergent and the tokens, I had spent $20 to do 3 loads of laundry (the detergent was only $4). Ridiculous! Next time, I think I'll take my laundry down the street from the hotel to have it done while I'm out exploring the city. It'll cost the same but at least I won't have to sit and wait 4 hours for 3 loads.

Well, that's it. The good, bad, and ugly of my first experience at the Buganvillas Club. Like I first said, I do not regret buying at this resort. It is lacking in some major ways in my opinion, but for the price, you can't beat it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Selena C
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We are still on site enjoying our last day of this incredible vacation..... The resort is superb, the units absolutely gorgeous with the best view to the mountains, downtown and the ocean, all at once!!!!, the food is incredible we purchased the all inclusive package at a great price. The service is outrageous, everybody had pampered us. Patricia Delgado and Guillermo Urtiaga handle the Customer Service Department very professional, and David from Concierge has been very helpful all the time. Ramona in the SPA gives the best massages. I deeply recommend this resort as the best one in Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: corner suites have an spectacular view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank yanow3
buganviliasrp, Public Relations Manager at Buganvilias Vacation Club, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear guests from San Francisco:

Thank you for posting your comments about the Buganvilias Vacation Club, we appreciate your recognition for our facilities we feel rewarded we have complied with your expectations.

Your feedback is very important to our service measurement, we want to exceed our service levels, guest experience and staff performance.

Your warm feelings for Paty, Guillermo, David and Ramona are welcome, they will be happy to know they have greatly contributed to your relaxing experience.

We look forward to your next visit to Vallarta.

Kind regards.
El Cajon, Ca.
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Just spent two wonderful weeks in our favorite vacation spot: Puerto Vallarta Buganvillias. It is right on the beach, the view from your room overlooks the beautiful skyline of the city and Bay of Banderas. Sitting on the balcony with the morning coffee you can see schools of fish and an occasional dolphin go by. The very large pool with swim up bar is a real plus. The staff is great and the rooms & grounds are beautiful. Because of the proximity to downtown, it's an easy walk or short bus ride to the Malecon (boardwalk). Just stay clear of the time share persons and you will have a memorable trip.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ECAntiquer
Dear club member from California:

With enthusiasm we have read about your gratifying experience in our resort and in our lovely Puerto Vallarta,

It is indeed our ambition to be the best hotel resort in town and fully comply with our guest expectations. We will print out your comments and share them with our staff, they will be thrilled to know your kindhearted consideration for the excellent service rendered to you and your wife.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We just returned from another wonderful week at your super vacation club with another couple. They are members. They contacted Ms Delgado who graciously put us into a beautiful two bedroom, two bath suite. She also arranged for a van to pick us up at the air port. We were greeted at the driveway by Jesus welcoming us home. We have been visiting Puerto Vallarta for 20 years. We are members at another hotel there but choose to stay at Buganvillas. All the staff are wonderful, beautiful view of the whole bay, everything is manicured, and well kept. This was our second trip this year. We are in the process of booking another trip in June.

Room Tip: We have stayed in a variety of rooms over the years and all have been very nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Betty :

Thank you for posting your kind comments after your recent visit to the Buganvilias Vacation Club.

We appreciate your recognition for the outstanding services you received from our staff and for highlighting the strengths of our facilities. Our staff will be satisfied to know your kind consideration for a job well done.

Your feedback is highly welcome as it benefits our impulse to increment and maintain our ambition to achieve top quality service levels, guest experience and staff performance.

We appreciate your giving us the opportunity to host you again on your next trip to Puerto Vallarta and provide you with the best vacation experience.