“Excellent Location at a small intimate hotel”
Review of Lindo Mar Resort

Lindo Mar Resort
Ranked #49 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Indio, California
“Excellent Location at a small intimate hotel”
Reviewed 16 December 2012

We enjoyed this hotel but must acknowledge its limitations.

First, the good news: It's an excellent location right on the beach and a short cab ride ($5) to old town and all of the restaurants. You can also ride the local bus (about .50 per person). The hotel has just 45 rooms, so it never felt crowded and there were very few kids the week we were there (Dec 8 - 15). The restaurant is very good and reasonably priced and the pasta night and burger night promotions were a nice touch. I also appreciated the absence of the "Timeshare Hustle". If you want to know more about owning a unit there, you can visit the hospitality room and get the details in less than 15 minutes.

The bad news: the rooms are very dated and the place has a bit of tired feel to it. The beds are rock hard (mattresses are placed on plywood panels with no box springs). We had a two bedroom suite, but the second bedroom has a full size (double) and not a queen bed. The second bathroom is quite small.

Overall service was very good for both the restaurant and the rooms and the staff goes out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. I also appreciated reliable wireless internet service which cost just $25 for all of our devices for the week.

Room Tip: don't stay on the first floor; try to get a room as high as possible to increase your view of th...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marc G
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Lindo Mar Resort, responded to this review, 18 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We appreciate your positive comments and hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Portland, OR
Reviewed 16 December 2012

We stayed at Lindo Mar the first week of October 2012. We have never been to this hotel before but after reading reviews here on TripAdvisor, we decided to check it out. There were many good things about this hotel but there were a few problems with really basic services that colored our experience.

When we arrived, all of the staff were very friendly and pleasant. Our room was a 2 bedroom standard on the second floor; we only used 1 room but since we exchanged our timeshare, we opted for the extra space. Our room overlooked the restaurant and a private hot tub for one of the suites. We had a great view of the beach but we could be seen by restaurant patrons or people walking to/from the beach. The beds were very hard but the bedrooms were otherwise very nice.

Our room had a full kitchen with breakfast bar, dining table, and living room that opens to a terrace. The door between the living room and the terrace is not airtight - it's got doors that fold open. That means we'd occasionally be visited by critters - 2 geckos, one bug, and a sand crab - but moreso, that the room did not stay cool (more about that later). The kitchen was fully stocked with everything you'd want to make a meal (including corkscrews, a blender, and decent knives). The hotel itself has wifi you can purchase for like $20/week. The wifi is technically only accessible in certain areas - the restaurant, pool area and lobby - but due to the location of our room, we got a pretty decent wifi signal in our living room. There is cable TV with a number of channels in English (we happened to be there during the first Presidential debate and the hotel gets the major US networks). Three of the rooms had A/C wall units - both of the bedrooms and the living room. The housekeepers came at various times during the day and cleaned very well (including washing our dishes!!). We left them a nice gratuity at the end of the week to thank them for all their hard work.

We ate most of our meals in the hotel restaurant, La Playita. The food is excellent and big portions. We tried a little bit of everything and encourage anyone who stays here to do the same. They seem to have quite a breakfast menu and do a big Sunday brunch that attracts lots of locals. There are two happy hours - 12 - 1 p.m. and 5 - 6 p.m. They offer 2 for 1 drinks but no food specials. The food is expensive by Mexican standards but the price of your average American family-style restaurant ($10-$20/entree). It is an open air restaurant and cooled by breeze or ceiling fan. The restaurant looks right out onto the ocean and has a beautiful view. We watched many a sunset over shrimp tacos and limonadas.

We spent a lot of time at the pool and beach, doing exactly what we wanted - nothing! The pool is quite small but there were very few people there during the daylight hours so it was practically private. There are several beach chairs and two tables with seats and umbrellas You can get food and drink service in the pool area. The beach is also quite nice. It's swim-at-your-own-risk but it was totally safe. There are sea urchins (we saw them and there's a warning) but you can avoid them. There are three main swimming areas - lots of rocks to snorkel around (and the hotel rents snorkeling gear for about $5. The water was warm and only a tad cloudy. You could see fish everywhere and my partner saw a turtle! There are several palapas reserved for Lindo Mar guests but the other part of the beach is public so there are a number of locals who hang out and swim. There are two or three vendors on the beach who sell jewelry, textiles, wooden animals, etc. They're pretty friendly but will back off if you're not interested.

The hotel is about 10 mins away from town. I think you could easily walk into town (the Romantic Zone/old Vallarta) along the road - we didn't because it was so darn hot. It's a 50 peso trip to/from town. There's a Oxxo - a 7-11 type store - two blocks down the street, where you can get food, drinks, etc. We ate at a couple local restaurants and went into town for shopping, but it was easy to get back to the hotel.

So - here are the problems we had. The A/C units did not work well. On the evening of our second day, we let the front desk know that the A/C wasn't cold and more problematic, made a lot of noise. We could see that the front of the unit was falling off and it probably just needed two screws inserted to keep down the noise. The good news is they sent someone right away. The bad news is the repairman basically looked at the A/C, felt that air was coming out, and said "Ok?" and left. Neither of us speak Spanish well enough to have explained why the A/C wasn't "ok." We decided to go back to the front desk the next day and talk to the day desk clerk. We explained the problem to him and he sent a different repairman to our room. He poked around, looked at the A/C and then tried to explain to me in Spanish what was going on with the A/C unit. Since I didn't understand, we called the front desk clerk who translated for us. Basically, the repairman couldn't fix the A/C right then because he had a lot of other work to do, but he'd be back later to fix it. Ok - so he left with the plan to return. The day passed, the A/C banged on, and the repairman didn't return. Next day, didn't return. That evening, the A/C in our bedroom started making similar noises to the unit in our living room. Since we had such a poor experience getting assistance with the A/C the two previous times, we didn't even bother to ask for help. Now, had we been at the hotel during high season, it would have made sense that it took a day or so to make the needed repairs, but since it was low season and there were probably less than 30 people staying in the entire hotel, it was a little ridiculous that they couldn't be bothered to fix our A/C when it was in the mid 90s outside. Now, I would be remiss if I didn't accept some responsibility for the communication issues - we did travel in a Spanish speaking country without speaking fluently but as a hotel that caters to English-speakers, it would have been helpful to have staff who would interface with guests speak English.

Another problem we had was the fridge in our kitchen stopped working two days before we were to leave. Again,because we had received such poor service with the A/C issue, we didn't call the front desk. Instead, we put all our food, drinks, etc into the freezer - I mean, it was only a few more days. We ended up leaving a note for the housekeeper about what the problems were. We just hope whoever stayed in the room after us had better luck getting repairs made.

In all, we had a great trip at the Lindo Mar. The food, the pool and beach, the room were all great. Had we not had the issue with the A/C, there would be no hesitation about returning; unfortunately, I think we'll try another hotel next time.

Room Tip: We had room 204 and it was right above the restaurant. You could hear restaurant noise.
2 Thank emmettdigger
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Lindo Mar Resort, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Lindo Mar. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to address your specific concerns. Please email us at lmr@tradingplaces.com with your name, dates of stay, and unit number so we can resolve these issues in a timely manner. Many thanks for staying with us!
Brandon, Canada
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We stayed here from November 10 - 17/12 and were pleasantly surprised by the size of our unit. We weren't expecting anything fabulous from this quaint little place as it was clearly dated and the non-AI was a first for our family. We found our 2 bedroom suite to be absolutely lovely from the breathtaking views off our two balconies, to the vibrant colors of the furnishings! The kitchen was well-stocked with everything we needed in the appliance department, big and small. The housekeeping was impeccable. My favorite part of this place was the master suite with the ensuite and balcony. We could watch the dolphins play in the ocean while sitting on our balcony in the morning! Stunning...a little piece of paradise!! The way the glass doors completely open up the entire room to the balcony was a very nice touch!! Loved that!!

We were fortunate enough to have unbelievably hot weather the entire week of our stay which simply adds to the wonderful impression of the place.

We dined daily in the open air restaurant that overlooked the ocean...breakfast at this place was second to none! Try the crepes Rena...amazing!! The servers were very nice and always gave us a decent table close to the ocean. We went to town every evening except one for dinner as the $5 cab ride there was well worth it! We never got sick of the food since we dined somewhere different every evening! Fantastic eateries in PV!!

If I had one critisism of this place it would have to be the one bad experience we had with the bar staff. One evening at about 9:30 pm we had a bartender knock on the door of our room. My husband answered and was talking to him at the door for a few minutes. Finally I went to the door to find out what was going on and he was asking my husband to sign the bill for some happy hour drinks from that afternoon. By the time I had gotten to the door my husband had already signed the bill and the bartender was trying to get him to print his name under his signature. I tried to explain to the bartender that I had already signed our happy hour bill at the pool that afternoon! There was a bit of a language barrier and he tried to tell us that it was not one of his bills that he was getting us to sign. I told him again that I signed our bill with our bar server before I left the pool in the afternoon. He insisted that my husband finish by printing his name on the bill. Then, when I really looked at the bill I noticed that the charge was for two Mojitos and two Margaritas. I tried to tell the bartender that neither my husband or I drink Mojitos or Margaritas! Our communication was simply NOT working so we ended up buying some other guests their happy hour drinks that day! It was only 128 pesos so we thought it wasn't worth the fight! Needless to say, we did NOT bother with happy hour drinks the rest of the week. Their loss I guess:)

As for the facilities, they were fine for adults but we would not bring our kids here again. Eventhough we have two teenaged boys, they were not very impressed with the size of the pool or the beach. There were no activities like there are at the places we usually stay at when we holiday so they found it a bit boring. As for me, lying around a pool with a book is right up my alley! Never any shortage of pool chairs while I was there. As the resort is built into a hill, it takes a while before the sun hits the beach and pool...if you like to sleep in and not hit the sun until 10:30 or 11 am, this place is for you! I missed the morning sun a wee bit!

If we do return to this resort, it will definitely be with another couple or two as it was a bit difficult to meet people in our age group. Nobody too interested in visiting with new people when we were there. We made some small talk with some very nice "owners" but didn't make any life long friends.

I would recommend this resort if you are travelling with friends or family...not great for kids though!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Postiegirl05
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Lindo Mar Resort, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Vancouver
Reviewed 25 November 2012

As an RCI member I was excited to finally trade into the Lindo Mar. Being in PV several times before, my husband and I had driven by this quaint hotel sitting on a cliff, with stunning panoramic views and old mexican charm. I had to go there!!! So everything was what I expected; the room, the view, etc. First night was fine. Then the weird vibes started. Very unfriendly. You felt that if you were not an actual owner at this particular timeshare you were an outsider. Even from the staff, who were slow and stubborn . I have not experienced this at other timeshare trades, and felt quite let down. I thought that I may be imagining things until a couple asked if we were owners and when we said no and the look on their faces said it all. To sum it up; in my opinion it's an ok place but if you are not a part of the owner click things can feel frosty, even in sunny Mexico..

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Lindo Mar Resort, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Thank you for your valuable comments. We’re sorry to hear about your uncomfortable experience at Lindo Mar; we would really like to address your concerns. As you can see from many other comments on TripAdvisor, our staff usually gets very high ratings. We need your help to learn what was done wrong while you were there. Please email us at lmr@tradingplaces.com with your name, dates of stay, unit number and any specifics so we can resolve any issues in a timely manner.
Qualicum Beach
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We have been going back to Lindo Mar for several years now. We are owners, so may be viewed as biased. LM is 3-4 star rooms in a 5 star location and ambiance. The units (1 to 3 bedroom) are comfortable and quiet. Good air conditioning. The 48 unit building is right on the beach with a great, locally rated, open sided restaurant on the small, rock-bordered beach. Not a place for young kids. All rooms have the ocean view. The staff are very friendly and loyal. It is not easy to get into this resort, but that speaks for itself. This place respects quiet...no loud parties or annoying background music. We sleep soundly after those happy hour margueritas!

Room Tip: Try to avoid the ground floor, unless you like to go from you patio right into the pool.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank BennyQB
calif
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We love this Place!
Our first experienece here was in 2010, and have returned several times since.
I reccomend it highy for it's jaw-dropping balcony views, friendly staff, and great location.
Lindo Mar is in Conchas Chinas...the "Beverly Hills" of Puerto Vallarta.
Right on the water, the top floor rooms are at street level, as the Hotel rises up next to a cliff by the sea.
Rooms in the middle-left (as you look at the ocean) are reccomended, as the lower rooms to the left overlook the restaurant, which can be a bit noisy, and the roof can partially block your view.
The beach dissappears at high tide, but re-apears every morning by 11 AM...it has many rock-croppings, with nice sandy areas to lay on a beach lounger supplied by the Hotel.
Also, they have mask and fins for snorkeling, and kayaks for rent.
There are few beach vendors, watch for the pie-lady!!
Happy hour is great, two for one Coronas...but bring a bottle cozy, as the bartendender gives you both beers at the same time.
The rooms are all oceanfront, living room in the front, bedroom in the rear. We fall asleep in the front room to the sound of the surf below us!
The tv is so small it is an afterthought, but we "watch" the sunsets instead! Best sunset views in P.V!
Do know that on Sundays, the locals come to the restaurant for the buffett, which can create a parking problem out front.
Furnishings are typical Mexico-resort, comfortable bed, good air conditioning, celing fans.
Friendly, helpful staff, no invasive timeshare people, just a laid-back relaxing vacation!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms will have a privacy issue, as they directly front the pool area. Stay middle to...
1 Thank FLEETERIC
grants pass
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Things are very different in Mexico. This hotel was great, well appointed and i got an excellent deal through Trading Places for $333.00. One night here would've been worth that. The view, the decor, the friendliness of the staff, the restaurant, the location.
There was an unexpected charge of around 163 pesos upon check in which put me on edge, but we ran a tab and settled at check out.
No laundry -but a decent price and well done sending it out through the front desk.
The beach is tiny but they'll set u up a beach chair and the bar is right there.
When we went it was unbearably hot and HUMID! Thank goodness they had an air conditioner in the bedroom AND in the kitchen area, so we closed the big folding windows at the balcony and were much more comfortable.The bedroom unit sweated and there was water on the floor and closet shelf so we told the front desk and they had a guy in to fix it but it was the same so we just put down towels. I wish the bedroom ceiling fan had a gentler low setting for sleeping with.
The bed was hard and the pillows were like rocks so i asked for some softer ones, they tried but only one was a bit softer. The bedspread was that kind of plasticy type that isn't comfortable and slides off but it seemed very clean and they left two nice blankets in the closet which i used early hours as it cooled a bit in the week.
They cleaned the room every day which was nice because you just can't help getting some sand onto the floors. There were no bugs at all -one big dead roach on the balcony but it was dead behind the door.
I couldn't believe it, I was in the evevator and an woman employee in a grey striped shirt rode with me, smiled nicely but SPAT on the floor in the corner even though she had a cleaning towel on her shoulder. I was barefoot having come from the pool area. Made me wonder what else was around.
Maria Elena!!! What a true lady! She is the concierge and she wears a halo no-one can see. Ohmygosh she should be cloned.
The restaurant is very nice! What a view!!! DO the Sat & Sun brunch! One of the waiters seemed kinda sour. Got tired of mexican food though.
This is truly a great little hotel and i would come back here in a heartbeat with a bunch of girlfriends or my love. We stayed in 704 right near the lobby and the road but we didn't mind, it was too hot to have the window open anyway and it was convient and what a view!
We probably won't be coming back to Mexico. What's with always having to wait so long to pay at the restaurants??? --The $ exchange, the vendors harassing u, the language barrier, the extra lines at the airport... Hawaii's just easier.