“Great little hotel”

Ranked #50 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
texas
“Great little hotel”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I was pleasantly suprised by this hotel. Great location near Cathedral and Malecon, within walking distance of all the activities in central Puerto Vallarta. Very clean and well decorated, and a great rate. Check in was good, and room was roomy and comfortable. Nice view of the Cathedral. For a hotel built in the 50's and remodeled it is in good condition. Pretty inner court with lots of plants. A/C worked great and was very quiet. Even has access to a beach club at Los Muertos beach. Really could not find anything about this place to complain about.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank beachbaken

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Asheville
Reviewed 17 July 2013

After a long road trip we were very pleased to have reserved a room in this hotel. Our first impression was the beautiful inner courtyard decorated with plants and original artwork. The staff was friendly,and the room clean. The room was comfortable, decorated in a colorful "Frida Kahlo" style, and had a small balcony with a view of small stores. In the evenings things quieted down and good rest.

In the morning you can enjoy a hot (complementary) coffee in the courtyard. The beach is only 200 meters away. The only problem we had was finding a good parking near the Hotel.

If you are looking for a small romantic, affordable place to stay, and you do not like the party crowds common in Beach front Hotels, this a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Eulenspiegel7
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I started off my trip at the Hotel Catedral and was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it here. I received a warm welcome from staff, check in was less than 5 minutes, I was able to tell the owner (Carlos) hello and was taken to my room. I loved how frosty the A/C made the room! I am almost always warm when traveling and can never get the A/C cold enough, but I found their A/C to be too good! I had to lessen the power on it! Seriously unbelievable, especially considering how hot and humid it was outside. The room was super clean, the bed was comfy and room was perfect! Note: if you're expecting the Ritz, you'll be disappointed. You have to manage your expectations, however they exceeded mine. The location seriously cannot be beat as it's within walking distance to everything I wanted (the Malecon, El Brujo, Steve's Bar, etc.). The only thing missing was a swimming pool. If they had a pool, I think I would actually forego all inclusives and split my stay between Hotel Catedral and Casa de Los Arcos. Carlos mentioned they were thinking about getting a pool. Carlos, if you are reading this, please do!!! I know many people who will refuse to stay anywhere without a pool.

I wanted to make sure to mention that I'm a light sleeper and was a little concerned with traffic noise and the noise from the church bells. I had emailed back and forth with Carlos before checking in (remember I was just staying for 1 night) and he promised me a quiet room. My room was very quiet. I didn't hear anything from outside. I actually laid there in the morning listening for the church bells and barely, very faintly heard them. What fantastic customer service! I was treated just as well as someone who was spending a week with them or more.

I loved that they gave two free bottles of water in the room as well as the free internet (they have 2 computers you can use). I felt very safe here as when I came back late at night, it was locked up tight (people cannot just wander in off the streets). After night two at Dreams Puerto Vallarta I was wishing I was back here at Hotel Catedral. With having Hotel Catedral as an option for me to stay when traveling to PV, I hope to make it down around 4 times a year instead of just two. Any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Room Tip: Email Carlos with what you're looking for and he'll hook you up!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank AimeeMichele
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I was in town for a wedding, but wanted to stay downtown as I'm not really a beach person. The Hotel Catedral Vallarta was perfectly placed for restaurants, bars, and shopping and provided a place for the friend with whom I was sharing to sunbathe on the roof (which also had a great view over the city). The staff were amazingly welcoming and very helpful and the rooms were kept spotless. I was a little worried about noise, but slept very peacefully the three nights I was there. We also had a balcony over the street, which provided some nice people watching. The bathroom (while very clean) was in need an upgrade however and the air conditioning had to be left on all day for the room to be comfortable in the evening. Still, for the money, a very good choice!

Room Tip: We stayed in the very inappropriately named (at least for us!) "amor, amor, amor" room, wh...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank William R
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I used to travel extensively in a former job and have stayed in hundreds of hotels both in the US and Internationality. This hotel rates as one of the best I have ever stayed at. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make my stay as comfortable and relaxing as possible. The room was always spotless and the AC would cool the room within 5 minutes. Great relaxing atmosphere, plenty of hot water, and I never noticed any disturbing noise. The location is within convenient walking distance to the beach, shopping, restaurants, and bus lines.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 700John
PHOENIX
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I just returned from Puerto Vallarta where I stayed 6 Nights at the Hotel Catedral. The Location is great for those who want to be Close to the Beach and in the Zona Romantica. The Rooms are decent size and freshly Painted with Air Conditioning and speedy internet service. The hotel is very quiet also. Nice Hot shower and safe in the rooms also. The staff is Excellent and offer advice and tips on everything. If you are looking for a Great Budget place to stay this is it. My only improvement would be to offer a fridge in the room but still for the Price this place is Great!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank diamond6Phoenix_AZ_
San Jose, California
Reviewed 28 May 2013

If you love Mexican Arts and Crafts, you will love this Mexican-owned boutique hotel. You'll be surrounded by an authentic "old town" mexican experience but with all the modern comforts of home. The owners have implemented a fabulous decor and style concept which emphasizes the extraordinary talents of artisans from all areas of Mexico. My favorite craft is the Otomi textiles which use hand embroidery on textiles in a variety of colorful animal shapes. The amenities include split A/C which will cool you off in a second and remote control flat screen televisions. Wake-up to free cookies and coffee in the beautiful courtyard enclosed by lush plants and comfortable seating and of course splendid decor and artwork with special exhibits such as the Frida Khalo exhibit they displayed for "Dia de los Muertos". The location is excellent! It's just a skip and a hop away from the cathedral, central plaza, beach and the boardwalk (malecon). My favorite thing about the location is that it is adjacent to the marketplace (mercado) where the food is excellent, genuinely mexican and best of all, inexpensive. I recommend this hotel to couples for romance, solo travelers and families. I felt very safe knowing that the front-desk clerk is there for 24 hours and there are also safes in the rooms. The hotel staff is very helpful in all aspects and needs. The hotel is super clean and provides bottled water. Housekeeping staff performs well in maintaing a clean room and environment.

Room Tip: Suites are very spacious with kitchen, dining area and splendid decor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple