“October 2013 stay”

Catedral Vallarta Boutique Hotel
Ranked #55 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The location of this hotel if perfect for those wanting to stay in the heart of PV and experience the old town. Proximity to restaurants, shopping, bus, and the malecon can't be beat! We stayed in the penthouse unit. The views every morning and evening couldn't be better. The hotel has had some updating and served us well. If you are looking for an American resort this is NOT the place for you. If you do want to experience the true vibe of PV and true Mexican hospitality, then don't hesitate to stay here. The staff was wonderful, especially Gervasio, who helped us with all of our requests!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank littleton63

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Hotel has a wonderful and helpful staff. If you want a blending of Old Mexico feel with some modern touches, then this is the place. Unique and very well done decor. We really wish we could have stayed longer. This is not a sterile American hotel without any character but a true little piece of wonderful Mexico. Great city and cathedral view rooms from the penthouse. Loved listening to the church bells.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Suzannepv
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Catedral in July 2013. As a woman traveling alone I felt very safe and the location was central to shopping, restaurants, malecon. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I arrived early morning from an 8 hour bus trip from Mazatlan so they locked up my luggage for me and got my room ready a couple of hours early (no extra charge). The hotel is very beautifully decorated with original artwork and embroidered fabrics. They have 2 computers in the lobby that you can use for free and the wifi worked great in my room. In the morning there is free coffee and cookies. As someone else stated there is some noise from the courtyard. My room faced the courtyard and when some people booked in late I could hear them. I didn't mind. If you are completely intolerant of noise then don't stay there. Yes, you could see in the window from the courtyard. So when you are changing or want privacy shut the blinds. The courtyard is very beautiful. I found it fun to listen to the other tourists laughing and enjoying themselves. My room was small but very cozy, clean and decorated with lovely Folkart. The conditioning worked great as did the flat screen t.v. I had looked at another hotel that was the same price and although the room was the same price the location was terrible and the room was like a cell (completely lacking in character). I would look forward to staying again and would recommend it. I usually stay right on the beach at the Tropicana (which I love) but the beach is not much of a walk from the Hotel Catedral.

5  Thank firedance
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Let me start by saying that I'm an extremely seasoned traveller. I've travelled to dozens of countries, in 4 continents. From tiny hostels to huge, fancy resorts, I can easily say this was probably one of the worst hotel experiences I've had in my life. It was so bad, I felt I had to write a review about it. I suggest you keep reading, it may save you from making a reservation you will terribly regret.

This hotel is NOT "intimate and romantic" like the misleading description says. It has possibly the worst hotel design I've seen: half of the rooms have a view to the hotel courtyard (where people go to seat, talk, use the computers, etc). None of the windows are soundproof and the walls are incredibly thin.
Also, the windows of those rooms not only aim at the courtyard, but it means that the curtains must be closed at ALL times. The inside of your room is 100% visible from the corridors of that floor and all the floors above yours. They'll tell you the windows are smoked, but cmon, I went myself to the corridor and managed to see my whole room without any difficulty.

You'd be lucky to get 5 minutes of silence, with guests entering or leaving the hotel late at night, or just staying at the computers at midnight or 1 am. After being woken up at the "intimate and romantic" hour of 4 am, I decided to go next morning and ask for a room change (another reason was that my room was right beside the air conditioners, so there was constant noise and I couldn't even open the window to get fresh air since the air coming out from the machines beside my window was incredibly hot. We tried using the ceiling fan, but it only had one speed: incredibly fast, and was constantly shaking as if it was going to fall). The woman at the reception told me that all the rooms of that price range face the courtyard, and the only ones which face the street are more expensive (she didn't say how much). She said she could try finding another room in the same price range but on a higher floor.

We came back later that day, and they said our new room was ready. They put us in a bigger room, facing the street. I asked them if that was all and they said that yeah. We assumed they had just put us in a nicer room after complaining (like many hotels have done when I have a big problem with the room, like in this case). I was wrong, but more on that later.

The new room faced the street, but it had the same problems of incredibly thin windows and walls. For a hotel that's in the middle of Puerto Vallarta's downtown, they should've tried some soundproofing measures, which they obviously didn't: sleeping with the windows open was the same as keeping them closed.

The wifi didn't even reach this room, and the hot water worked whenever it felt like it. The fan also had only one insanely fast speed (even though the panel boasts having 5 speeds...)

Their description talks about its own beach club "5-7 minutes walking". That's a total lie. First, whenever any staff member tells you about the time to get somewhere, you should at least double that amount to get an accurate measure (keep this in mind so that you don't lose your flight or tour because the staff said "oh, it's like 15 minutes away" and ends up being more than half an hour away).

The so called beach club (which is 15 minutes away) is just a restaurant that allows you to use their beach tables/parasol if you're a guest in this hotel (of course, the hotel staff says you can use them just by being a guest, while the restaurant staff says you MUST consume food to use the beach tables). You're better off buying a parasol for yourself, that way you can be pretty much anywhere you want.

At the end of my stay, they charged me an extra 60 dollars for the "upgrade". When I told the woman that she never told me that I had to pay extra, she said "well, it was understood that you had to". When it comes to MONEY, nothing is just left in the air, especially after I asked if that was all when I did the room transfer. Moreover, they never told me how much the upgrade would cost, they just put me in whichever room they wanted and expected me to pay. I paid since I was in a hurry, otherwise I would've asked to talk to the manager (who apparently is never there). All I hope is that someone reads this and decides against booking this hotel. If you want a romantic getaway with your loved one, like I did, then there are much better places. If you want sleepless nights, hearing all the conversations of all the guests in the hotel night and day, and to be "served" by staff that know almost nothing about the city they work in, then go ahead.

Pros:
- Nice Mexican decoration
- Decent location for those who want to be close to the party zone of Puerto Vallarta

Cons:
- EVERYTHING ELSE

Avoid this place like the plague

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank kiriyama8
Catedralpv, Director General at Catedral Vallarta Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review through Trip Advisor. At Hotel Catedral Vallarta we take pride in our property and services, our Guests continuously congratulate our staff and many of them do come back and refer us to their relatives and contacts, regardless, during your visit, apparently, we did not live up to your standards.
This is a property we recently renovated, (2010) was built back in the 50´s, and each room in our Hotel is different. Its walls are double brick plus concrete, so you do not hear from one room to another, but yes, those rooms facing the Courtyard in our lower level are exposed to noise due to its large windows, and proximity to the central Patio (and you came in a very busy week).
I thank you for choosing our property, during your recent stay, again Gracias ! for your feedback. I do hope to have a second opportunity to change your perception.

Carlos.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

I was pleasantly suprised by this hotel. Great location near Cathedral and Malecon, within walking distance of all the activities in central Puerto Vallarta. Very clean and well decorated, and a great rate. Check in was good, and room was roomy and comfortable. Nice view of the Cathedral. For a hotel built in the 50's and remodeled it is in good condition. Pretty inner court with lots of plants. A/C worked great and was very quiet. Even has access to a beach club at Los Muertos beach. Really could not find anything about this place to complain about.

5  Thank beachbaken
Reviewed 17 July 2013

After a long road trip we were very pleased to have reserved a room in this hotel. Our first impression was the beautiful inner courtyard decorated with plants and original artwork. The staff was friendly,and the room clean. The room was comfortable, decorated in a colorful "Frida Kahlo" style, and had a small balcony with a view of small stores. In the evenings things quieted down and good rest.

In the morning you can enjoy a hot (complementary) coffee in the courtyard. The beach is only 200 meters away. The only problem we had was finding a good parking near the Hotel.

If you are looking for a small romantic, affordable place to stay, and you do not like the party crowds common in Beach front Hotels, this a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Eulenspiegel7
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I started off my trip at the Hotel Catedral and was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it here. I received a warm welcome from staff, check in was less than 5 minutes, I was able to tell the owner (Carlos) hello and was taken to my room. I loved how frosty the A/C made the room! I am almost always warm when traveling and can never get the A/C cold enough, but I found their A/C to be too good! I had to lessen the power on it! Seriously unbelievable, especially considering how hot and humid it was outside. The room was super clean, the bed was comfy and room was perfect! Note: if you're expecting the Ritz, you'll be disappointed. You have to manage your expectations, however they exceeded mine. The location seriously cannot be beat as it's within walking distance to everything I wanted (the Malecon, El Brujo, Steve's Bar, etc.). The only thing missing was a swimming pool. If they had a pool, I think I would actually forego all inclusives and split my stay between Hotel Catedral and Casa de Los Arcos. Carlos mentioned they were thinking about getting a pool. Carlos, if you are reading this, please do!!! I know many people who will refuse to stay anywhere without a pool.

I wanted to make sure to mention that I'm a light sleeper and was a little concerned with traffic noise and the noise from the church bells. I had emailed back and forth with Carlos before checking in (remember I was just staying for 1 night) and he promised me a quiet room. My room was very quiet. I didn't hear anything from outside. I actually laid there in the morning listening for the church bells and barely, very faintly heard them. What fantastic customer service! I was treated just as well as someone who was spending a week with them or more.

I loved that they gave two free bottles of water in the room as well as the free internet (they have 2 computers you can use). I felt very safe here as when I came back late at night, it was locked up tight (people cannot just wander in off the streets). After night two at Dreams Puerto Vallarta I was wishing I was back here at Hotel Catedral. With having Hotel Catedral as an option for me to stay when traveling to PV, I hope to make it down around 4 times a year instead of just two. Any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Room Tip: Email Carlos with what you're looking for and he'll hook you up!