This is our second time at the Catedral Vallarta. This is a wonderful little gem in the heart of Zona Romantica. Away from all the bars, beaches and crowds (but all within a short walk) you get a quiet place to stay and a decent night's sleep.
To give you some perspective, the Malecon is only about 2 blocks away. If you are heading to the beaches (I'm thinking blue / green chairs) it is about 20-30 minute walk. The local bars / pubs - mainly gay - are just across a bridge and probably only 15 minutes walk away. One more plus is that Starbucks is only 2 blocks away - perfect for that coffee fix right before hitting the beach.
Our first visit we stayed in the penthouse but this time we decided to stay in a regular suite with kitchen. There were two beds, a little dining area, balcony and kitchenette. The kitchenette has a medium sized fridge, sink, counter space and a 2-burner hotplate. Also included - pots, pans, dishes, toaster and kettle. My opinion is this is a great kitchen for folks who want to eat the occasional meal in their room. For a larger group wanting to eat daily meals it might not work out though. Having said that, we managed to have breakfast in our room each day and store water, juice and some booze in the fridge. The local food in PV makes it hard to just stay in and eat!
The room has a ceiling fan and air conditioning as well as a wall-mounted flatscreen. For storage we had a dresser, nightstand and a bar in the bathroom to hang clothes. There was also a wall safe to store passports and valuables.
The room was cleaned daily and they really do their best to make sure the place is cleaned top to bottom. Service at the front desk was great too - they will answer any questions you have. Free wi-fi and computers with internet in the lobby were also nice touches.
My only problems with the hotel - and why it is a four instead of perfect five:
- the mattresses are typical holiday hotel mattresses - hard and not the most comfortable (although I have slept on worse)
- more room to hang clothes or at least a few more hangers - we had 5 hangers between the two of us and the room sleeps 4 so a little more storage space would definitely be needed
All this aside, I would definitely recommend Catedral Vallarta. We spent 14 nights in a really nice-sized room and it cost less than $800 CDN. The cleanliness and service are exceptional and the peace and quiet are much-appreciated!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated chicly in the heart of Puerto Vallarta, just two blocks from the main square, the "Our Lady of Guadalupe" Parrish and the "Malecon" beach boardwalk Hotel Catedral Vallarta is surrounded by Restaurants, Bars, Art Galleries and Boutiques. Locally called “the latest jewel among Downtown Boutique properties”, Hotel Catedral Vallarta combines stylish furnishings with Mexican traditional charm and character. Each room is uniquely and individually decorated, exuding a blend of old Mexican elegance, with contemporary touches, with each room named after a classic Mexican song. Forged iron gates, terracotta columns, handcrafted railings, palms, flowers, live contrasting colors and textures create all together a charming, fresh and clean atmosphere. Complimentary Beach Club Access (walking distance), Free Wi-fi, daily Coffee and Tea service 7 am - 11 am, Pillows Menu, Hand made Soaps and eco-friendly amenities.The hotel's twenty-one rooms are sumptuous and evocative hideaways, boasting numerous modern conveniences and upscale amenities, such as complimentary wireless Internet access, large HD flat screen televisions, seventy-two television channels, in-room safety security box, the latest (and extremely quiet) AC system, cellular phones, business center, library and more. Through its halls and stairs, as in every room, you will always find a detail that evoques Mexico. Hand made flowers, hammered tin handcrafts from Guanajuato, original paintings, sculptures, blown glass lamps from the State of Jalisco, Papier-mâché dolls from Michoacán, textiles from Oaxaca, Religious art from Guerrero, and more. The relaxing intimacy at the property is enhanced by traditional Mexican furniture, softened with hand embroidered cushions from different regions of Mexico, te best of all, Everything is for sale ! you just have to ask your Concierge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, HostelWorld, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Catedral Vallarta Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.