“Centrally located, convenient, clean and local charm”

Catedral Vallarta Boutique Hotel
Ranked #47 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“Centrally located, convenient, clean and local charm”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 day stay at Hotel Cathedral - I've been coming to PV area annually for over 15 years and lately have included stays in town after my timeshare periods. I was impressed by the staff's willingness to help (I had a couple of odd requests), give local (as distinguished from "tourist") restaurant suggestions, the cleaning of the rooms (some nice touches - e.g. "wrapping"/ organizing of my computer charge cords). While a single, I upgraded to a double room with a balcony for more light / air. Nice to have morning tea/ coffee and cookies in the peaceful courtyard.

Room Tip: suggest a balcony room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Andy L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
West Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This charming hotel is in a fanastic location. Just a short walk to anywhere you want to go (Malecon, beach, Romantic Zone, flea market, etc). There is a great candy store right across the street on the corner that sells Mexican vanilla fudge and candy-coated nuts to die for. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. They recommended a fantasic traditional restaurant (El Campanario) that is about 2 blocks away across from the school next to the cathedral on Hidalgo. Go there - you will not be disappointed! As far as the hotel itself goes, it is very clean and nicely decorated. The actual hotel is old and cannot be compared to typcial American hotels. The best part is the rooftop terrace that overlooks the city. Our room (Gloria Eres Tu) faced Hidalgo and was quiet except for the cathedral bells that rang often from 6am-10pm. We were there during the Our Lady Guadalupe Festival (which was a lot of fun with street festivals and parades), but did not hear any of the festival noise from our room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Amy A
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I can't wait until I can go back to Puerto Vallarta...and to the Hotel Catedral. I didn't know what to expect when I arrived in Vallarta since my friend did all of the research and made the travel / hotel arrangements. With my budget, I wasn't expecting to be so pleased by the quaint, charming facility, with its open air lobby and the roof top patio... located right downtown. However, my most positive and lasting impression was because of the gracious and helpful staff. I probably ask for and expect more assistance from hotel staff more than the average traveler. This was compounded by the fact that I don't speak Spanish! The staff was very accommodating. They helped me plan bus itineraries, coordinated schedules and translated telephone calls. I was able, with their help, to easily pack a great many experiences into a few days. I recommend this little jewel and can't wait to go back. Hotel Catedral was a great find.
Kathy D.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathy D
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We stayed in Hotel Catedral for more than 3 weeks. The hotel is located in the center of Puerto Vallarta and we could walk everywhere. The rooms are nice and very clean. The staff is super friendly and very helpful, they got us everthing we needed (even free tickets for a show in the theatre).
They dont have an own restaurant, but its no problem because you are situated in the cente with lots of restaurant. In the mornig there is a room with books, coffe, a good choice of teas and cookies..
We had a great time and we can only recommend this nice hotel!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank KateZH-PV
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I totally can recommend this hotel, awesome service, very clean, perfect located and fair price.
We were 4 german students and loved to stay in this hotel
Especially it is just 3 blocks from the beach and 5 from the nightlife

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mikeeey1107
Aguascalientes, Mexico
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Last weekend I went to puerto Vallarta , I love these place is such beautiful city , I was there for Dia de Los muertos , it was beautiful my favorite holly day in Mexico , it something that you have c one in your life time , about the hotel , the location is great , walking distance to every where , you don't need a car or taxis because you r in the center of every thing , the hotel staff were very nice and friendly , the hotel is really cute , very nice rooms , the one the we had was like a little apartment with full equipped kitchen , nice and comfortable bed and balcony with a nice view , I will definitely go back there and stay there aging totally wort it for the price , I hope you enjoy it as much as I did ,

Room Tip: The suits or mini suit , but I think all the rooms are nice a comfy
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Alberto C
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This is our second time at the Catedral Vallarta. This is a wonderful little gem in the heart of Zona Romantica. Away from all the bars, beaches and crowds (but all within a short walk) you get a quiet place to stay and a decent night's sleep.
To give you some perspective, the Malecon is only about 2 blocks away. If you are heading to the beaches (I'm thinking blue / green chairs) it is about 20-30 minute walk. The local bars / pubs - mainly gay - are just across a bridge and probably only 15 minutes walk away. One more plus is that Starbucks is only 2 blocks away - perfect for that coffee fix right before hitting the beach.
Our first visit we stayed in the penthouse but this time we decided to stay in a regular suite with kitchen. There were two beds, a little dining area, balcony and kitchenette. The kitchenette has a medium sized fridge, sink, counter space and a 2-burner hotplate. Also included - pots, pans, dishes, toaster and kettle. My opinion is this is a great kitchen for folks who want to eat the occasional meal in their room. For a larger group wanting to eat daily meals it might not work out though. Having said that, we managed to have breakfast in our room each day and store water, juice and some booze in the fridge. The local food in PV makes it hard to just stay in and eat!
The room has a ceiling fan and air conditioning as well as a wall-mounted flatscreen. For storage we had a dresser, nightstand and a bar in the bathroom to hang clothes. There was also a wall safe to store passports and valuables.
The room was cleaned daily and they really do their best to make sure the place is cleaned top to bottom. Service at the front desk was great too - they will answer any questions you have. Free wi-fi and computers with internet in the lobby were also nice touches.
My only problems with the hotel - and why it is a four instead of perfect five:
- the mattresses are typical holiday hotel mattresses - hard and not the most comfortable (although I have slept on worse)
- more room to hang clothes or at least a few more hangers - we had 5 hangers between the two of us and the room sleeps 4 so a little more storage space would definitely be needed
All this aside, I would definitely recommend Catedral Vallarta. We spent 14 nights in a really nice-sized room and it cost less than $800 CDN. The cleanliness and service are exceptional and the peace and quiet are much-appreciated!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple