“Paradise”

Bay View Grand
ansonia
“Paradise”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

My cousin rents different units every year for the past 7 years, every January, February and March. They invited my husband and I this March and we were very excited to see their so called winter home. Every unit is decorated with different themes and decors. There were minor problems due to the owners not keeping up with the maintenance but overall very roomy, everything you need for the kitchen, pool and ocean views from the bedrooms and a jacuzzi on every balcony. The view of the ocean, and looking at the gardens from the 9th floor are breathtaking. The grounds are manicured every day. There are 6 pools, 2 for children, 2 heated, 2 not heated. Even the little snack bar had good food in case you didn't want to go back to your unit for lunch. The staff are constantly cleaning, wether it would be your windows and the sills, watering plants, lobbies, bathrooms, just immaculate.There are security guards everywhere. At the gates, around the pools, beaches, so you know you are safe. Speaking of beaches kind of disappointed. Thought the water would be a Caribbean turquoise but being the sand is dark the color of the water wasn't that colorful. Beaches have pebbles but my husband and I still walked the beaches but I guess on this side of the shore no one really goes to the beach since they have all the facilities they need at the pool. Nothing like going on vacation and having everything so clean. I would highly recommend the Bay View Grand to anybody. Buses are right outside your gate, and very reasonable to go downtown. Taxis are so clean. These guys are constantly washing them. What is so nice about the BVG is that you are walking distance to the Marina. Yachts, restaurants, massages/spas, market vendors with the local good, music. Puerta Vallarta is very safe, my husband and I walked in the old section of town one night after having a delicious meal and felt safe. This city is immaculate. I never even saw a cigarette butt or a candy wrapper on the ground. Buts NYC to shame between the cleanliness of the town and taxis. My husband and I would definetly like to return and who knows maybe we might rent a unit for a month next time instead of the 9 days of paradise that we had. So peaceful and relaxing and most of all beautiful sunsets every night.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view. I would recommend going on line and check out these units.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank bilasi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Frenchtown, NJ
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We've been staying at Bay View Grand for 11 years now, staying in different condos just about every time. Our favorite location is in the B or C building, upper floors (8 or above) which provides a wonderful view of downtown PV at night and a bay and mountain view at night. Since there are fireworks over the bay nearly every night, as well as the city lights, it's a spectacular view.

BVG is a private, residential condo community, so do not expect resort-style facilities. There is a palapa hut serving breakfast and lunch and cocktails, but no restaurant - again, this is a residential community, not a resort. There is a small store on site for necessities, and several large grocery stores within a very short cab ride or a healthy walk.

It tends to be quiet, certainly lacking the 20-something crowds and noise that a typical resort will attract. It is meticulously maintained and has acres (literally) of spectacular pools. The administration is responsive to any needs you may have and there are full time, 24/7 security guards on site. It is a very safe property.

BVG is within easy walking distance to a number of fine resorts and to the Marina, which offers a wide range of restaurants and shops. The downtown bus stops right in front of the entrance, and you can travel to all of the downtown ameneties for 50 cents. Taxis are always available, either at the entrance or one complex down at Velas Vallarta. A ride into town will run you about $8 US.

We love BVG for its well maintained grounds, gorgeous and huge pools, quiet and mature residents and easy access to all things Vallarta. We'll be back again in September!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Karen D
Moorhead, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This is our third stay at the BVG. First stay was in 2003 in one bedroom which I think was in C building. We rented directly from the owner and had no problems. In 2011 we stayed in B building in a 3 bedroom on the 3rd floor. It was a nice unit as well. If you like sun on your balcony most of the day than B building is where you might want to be. You have a nice view of the city too. This year we are in a 3 bedroom in D buiding on the 10th floor and love it. You don't see the city but look out over more of the bay. The only sun on the terrace comes in the late afternoon. You can watch beautiful sunsets in the evening. There is no need to run the AC if you open the terrace and the entrance door or kitchen window you will get a very nice cross breeze. The BVG as a whole is very secure from both the gate in front and from the beach. Unless you are wearing the bracelets provided you do not have access to the property including the pool or fitness center. There are 4 pools. The two on the ends are heated and the two middle pools can be quite cold. There is a gazebo poolside where you can buy snacks, sandwiches and beverages. I think the hours are from 10a-5pm. We did have cheeseburgers a couple times and they were quite good and not very expensive. The check-in process seems to be more complicated than necessary. The last 2 times they have had trouble finding our reservation. Even this year when our rental agent met us at the gate they seemed to have a problem and had to make phone calls to someone but after the 30 minute wait or so we were allowed to enter. There is some airport noise but I have never been kept awake at night because of it. There does seem to be alot of maintenance going on whether it be yard trimming or upkeep of other parts of the property which can be somewhat annoying. We always seem to have issues with the beds. I don't know if we have ever had a truly comfortable bed at any place we have stayed in Mexico. We really love Puerto Vallarta for our winter get away. We have been visiting PV off & on since 1985 and have seen many changes. It has grown quite significantly but always feel safe walking about. We enjoy the marina area because it is quiet. It is very easy to travel by bus to downtown, just make sure on your return trip to catch the marina bus and it will drop you practically by the gate. Our last 2 units have had high speed internet but in case they don't you can get wifi at the gazebo by the pool. We also purchased a magic jack before we came down this year and it worked perfect for keeping in touch with family in the states.

Room Tip: Buildings D & E get less sun. Need a room on at least 3rd or 4th floor to have a good view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Hawley
Sooke, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We stayed 14 days in a condo at Bay View Grande and enjoyed the stay. The two bedroom condo was perfect for our needs. The place itself is clean and well maintained.
Being right at the airport brings some noise. We noticed too that there was a lot of noise from maintenance work on the yard (lawn trimmers) and building (grinding balcony railing before reprinting) that was disturbing.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Bolantar
Winnipeg
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I echo all the sentiments of the previous reviewer! We too were left waiting at the gate for a half-hour upon arrival while the security guards tried in vain to find our name and reservation (although I had notified the owner earlier that week as to our arrival time!)The owner "forgot"... how very unprofessional!! Although I had booked the unit ten months in advance, we were never informed that we were staying in unit 607 and not 606, as per our contract! After meeting the occupant in 606 and much confusion and apprehension, we finally met the owner's representative who promptly took our $300C deposit and left! Many questions we had about the unit/resort were left unanswered! We left to buy a large jug of filtered water at Walmart and it was only after speaking to another resident (days later!) that we were informed that water was available on site at the snack bar!!!
It took only 15 minutes in this "home away from home" to discover that we had an ant problem!!! On the floor, in the kitchen cupboards, bathroom, dishwasher, even the microwave! Disgusting to say the last! I swept and mopped the floors and cleaned all surfaces with Lysol and we purchased ant spray at the local Home Depot! We were extra-vigilant not to leave any food on the counters! The "problem" resurfaced days later and it was an ongoing battle! The resident in C606 was also having the same problem! Realizing that this might be a common concern in the entire resort, I asked other residents who assured me that they didn't have the infestation we were experiencing! At wit's end, I emailed the owner re our concern, asking him to provide us with a powder we could use to control this! His response: "nothing more serious than a little dust"!!! I was ridiculed: "It's obvious you're very green and naive"! Note to owner: spent a year in Africa and this is our ninth trip south...do NOT patronize me about tropical climes!! We were provided by a maid with another can of ineffective spray and the remainder of our month-long holiday was spent on an ant safari!!! It was obvious from the start that Mr. Ouellette's only concern was and is financial! On the eve of our departure, his "busboy" presented us with an envelope containing $200US, not the deposit we had provided! It took another hour while we waited anxiously to get the correct deposit back!
As previously stated, the complex is heavenly...very clean and the grounds are beautifully manicured! The staff are polite and helpful! Would have been nice to be informed that residents must provide their own racquets and balls to use the tennis courts...another area where the owner "dropped the ball"!!!
Do yourself and your loved ones a favor...don't stay in either of these units! Any problems you encounter will only be met with total indifference by the owner!

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Oncebitten_7
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed 11 April 2011

My husband,my 2 young children and I stayed at the Bayview Grand in Unit C-607 on March 2011 for 2 weeks.My first big mistake was agreeing to rent from Matt Ouellette,...think twice when you hear this name!! Before we left for PV,we were asked to email a guy named Fernando Marinez (Matt's 'Property Manager' and I use the term very loosely!) with our arrival and flight information so he would know what time to meet us at the unit.We arrived at the BayView Grand and found no one there to meet us! Imagine how we felt waititng for 45 mins outside the unit with our luggage! My husband was scared that we'd have no place to stay,that it was all a big scam and I started thinking the same thing! Well,along walks this 18 year old kid wearing headphones after almost an hour! We later found out that this kid is Matt's wife's cousin and he's using him for cheap labour.Speaking with another property manager there,it's only $100 CAD/month for a professional! This was only the beginning....
When we enetered the unit,we were not too impressed to say the least! The view from the balcony is spectacular....nothing like it,but that's where it ends.We went to the bedroom to check things out....the bed,like another reviewer mentioned,is rock hard! I couldn't wait to get back to my own bed after sleeping in this one! When we took the sheets out for the convertible bed we found some hairs on it (no details needed,I think!) We ended up washing all the sheets and towels just in case! Checking out the kitchen area,I went through all the dishes,glasses and cutlery and decided to wash it all as well.Upon doing so I came across cutlery that was still dirty,and dishes that had grease on them as though someone had merely wiped off the food and not bothered to wash it!How disgusting! The first night we stayed there,we pulled out the sofa bed...one of us was going to sleep there with one of our children and we'd take turns as to who gets to sleep in the bed.Well we pulled this rickety old sofabed (if you want to call it that!) out and after inspecting it pushed it back into the sofa.It was flimsy at best and it had such a thin mattress on it that no one could possibly feel any level of comfort on it! My poor husband ended up sleeping on the couch for the entire 2 weeks and I slept in the bed with our 2 girls.
In the ad for the unit,it says that there is satellite tv in the room-there's not.It's all Mexican channels except for the 3 standard US channels that every other hotel has. There is no internet access insuite either,also advertised.You have to go downstairs to the snack bar,or try and get a signal from someone else in the complex from the balcony. The bed was advertised as queen size,it was a double for sure. In the bathroom,the shower doors were covered with soap scum.I bought antibacterial wipes at the grocery store so I could wipe everything down before we used it,including the toilet! It looked to us as though Matt doesn't get a maid to come and do a proper cleaning after the guests have left.Needless to say,we left it looking better than when we arrived!
Which brings me to the day we checked out.....we sent Fernando an email early in the morning to confirm our appointment for noon the day we were leaving and to come and bring us our $200 CAD security deposit we left when we got there.Well noon came and went.We tried calling him on the cell number he left us but it was dead.We also tried to call from my mother's Mexican cell phone because you can't make calls outside the BVG complex. We finally were able to track down Matt on one of his contact numbers.We explained the situation to him and that we had things we wanted to do before our 7:40 flight that night,but were stuck waiting to Fernando to show up.His respone was "I sympathize with you,but what would you like me to do? I'm in Canada right now and I hope you realize that it's costing me 3 dollars a minute to take this call from you right now." He sounded very annoyed and was very rude about it,but I explained that we didn't care how much it cost....that's the price of doing business,so too bad.He offered to transfer the money to us if we did online banking and to leave the keys and the bracelets on the desk when we left.We don't,and even if we did,do you think we'd feel comfortable giving this scammer our bank info?? Nope. We were fully prepared to take them all with us when we left if we did not get our money back.Finally,he sent us an email saying that another man,an ACTUAL property manager,would come bring us the deposit.We finally got it back at 3 pm that day,after much frustration.Not exactly the way we wanted to end our vacation.
We spoke with our neighbors in C606,also owned by Matt.They mentioned that they stayed in another unit in the same complex, and that it was nothing like this one.They had never seen a unit as neglected as the ones we were both staying in.I wish I had taken a picture of one of the frying pans that was in the oven...it had so much burnt on food on it that I would never even consider using it! And our neighbor had a matching one! If he would only pour a few dollars into these units,he could make a lot more money (which is apparently all he cares about)!
The grounds itself are stunning,though.They are groomed daily and it's like walking through a park-like paradise. The pool is where we spent the majority of our stay.Because of our 2 children (ages 5 and 2 and a half),we spent a LOT of time at the 2 kiddie pools which are infinity pools too! We did see the crocoadile signs,but we only went to the beach twice during our stay.The pools are extremely clean and welcoming and perfect for kids our age! All of the staff at BVG were extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome and at home.
The complex is fantastic,but beware of Units C606 and C607,owned by Matt Ouellette!!My recommendation is based on this particular unit ONLY,not the entire BVG complex. IT is fantastic,this unit is NOT! (I'm 99% sure that the review that he has posted on his vrbo.com site was done by him!) Never,ever deal with this person.He will take your money and leave you high and dry!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
22 Thank AnnaLarocque73
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Recently stayed for a week in a 2 bed 2 bath condo at Bay View Grand condo in puerto vallarta. The condo complex was gorgeous, with a hige, heated infinity pool, and a long quiet beach. We were also able to play tennis and used the great gym twice. There is a great poolside restaurant, and even a convenience store. It was just a short walk to some great restaurants in marina vallarta. It was also convenient to downtown - just a short bus ride from in front of the condo. We found the pool and grounds to be very well kept up, and would highly recommend this condo complex. We hope to be back soon

• Stayed January 2011